Sportsnet: Phaneuf: I was too emotional to talk to the media

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of course he is telling the truth and of course he was too emotional to speak to the media after such a devastating loss. This is understandable from a personal point of view.

But the entire problem with this team, including Phaneuf and all of his teammates, is exactly how emotional they get when the pressure is on. He can't handle the pressure during the games because he's too overwhelmed, and he can't speak afterwards. Let's face it, these are regular season games and the whole team is going bezerk. I don't know if it's a collective thing or if we just have a lot of weak willed personalities, but we can't move forward with this cast.

They're like scared children or something.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Phaneuf calls into Sportsnet and discussed why he didn't talk to the media.

Source:

What are your thoughts?

Fleeing the scene of the crime that he committed to avoid responsibility for his own actions goes towards maturity and leadership.

When the captain of the ship goes AWOL, the vessel remains rudderless and drifting aimlessly.

If the Leafs were not in a heated playoff battle his actions would constitute a removal of the "C" and a new leader appointed that doesn't run out on his teammates to avoid accountability. Leafs don't need any more controversy to sink this season, however perhaps changes are made during the offseason. .

leafstilldeath*

or like all of us, he was pissed off.

He was pissed off at the team, and himself for his play, he knows he played bad last night.

He didn't feel like talking to a bunch of reporters.

I give 0 ****s if any of our players talk to the media.

Personally I would prefer that media is banned from the locker room, pre-game and post-game. Just give media once a week coverage on off days.

Media is poison

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Media /fan scrutiny is crazy sometimes. Dion is far from perfect, and IMO not a #1 dman on most SC contending teams. But he's still a really solid hockey player.

Similar to a Seabrook on Chicago, a Bouwmeester on St. Louis, a Carle on TB, etc. A solid top pairing guy, but when you put him in a role where he's expected to fully carry the blueline, of course he's going to falter. That's just expecting too much out of him.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
During his time here, he's always been there to speak. I can believe he was pissed and didn't want to speak. If it doesn't become a habit that is ok with me.
Good for him to address it today instead of avoiding the situation

Well compound the fact that it was the sixth straight loss in a very tight playoff race where they essentially have been repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot, you can see why he was emotional and that I doubt he's making it a habit. For example, if we were to lose a Tuesday game against the Coyotes in the January, I doubt he gets emotional. The situation probably had a lot to do with it.

Mr Scarface*

Of course he is telling the truth and of course he was too emotional to speak to the media after such a devastating loss. This is understandable from a personal point of view.

But the entire problem with this team, including Phaneuf and all of his teammates, is exactly how emotional they get when the pressure is on. He can't handle the pressure during the games because he's too overwhelmed, and he can't speak afterwards. Let's face it, these are regular season games and the whole team is going bezerk. I don't know if it's a collective thing or if we just have a lot of weak willed personalities, but we can't move forward with this cast.

They're like scared children or something.

Fleeing the scene of the crime that he committed to avoid responsibility for his own actions goes towards maturity and leadership.

When the captain of the ship goes AWOL, the vessel remains rudderless and drifting aimlessly.

If the Leafs were not in a heated playoff battle his actions would constitute a removal of the "C" and a new leader appointed that doesn't run out on his teammates to avoid accountability. Leafs don't need any more controversy to sink this season, however perhaps changes are made during the offseason. .
These are experienced posters telling it like it really is. Running away and hiding after doing something wrong/mistakes is not the way to do it at all..... especially for a "Captain." In this case a "Fake Captain." Real captains don't do this, ever.

No wonder many of his "friends" didn't like him at calgary. At all.

During this summer there might be some fine moves to be made. And I don't mean no dancing moves.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
He was afraid because he sucked *** that entire game and cost us 2 goals and basically the game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Dion should have spoken to the media last night.

He could have taken a few mins to compose himself, and then speak.

If he manned up as he did today, none of this would be an issue.

Burke made him Captain, some people can handle it. Sundin and Clark stood in there in some tough times, so did Gilmour for a short time. Sittler before that.

I am starting to think maybe it would be better to have Dion as a A instead, his play might improve if he had less to burden.

His explanation I will accept, but it just shows perhaps he is not the man for the C. You have to collect yourself and speak to the media, not Lupul, Gunnar, and whoever else stepped in yesterday. This is what Captain's do.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
maybe he's too emotional to be the captain of the Leafs? IMO, you see what people are made of in the middle of a crisis. When things are rosy anyone can claim to be a leader...........

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
If he ever did talk to the media last night and made an emotional comment, that would be blown up far more than this.

He was fuming, didn't talk to media. Called in himself to both TSN and Sportsnet radio and answered questions once he cooled down. I don't see the issue

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It shows lack of character, accountability and that he's easily flustered. Ring a bell?

Or show someone that has enough character to own up for an error and accept responsibility for it.

How do you handle your mistakes or do you just not make then?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
maybe he's too emotional to be the captain of the Leafs? IMO, you see what people are made of in the middle of a crisis. When things are rosy anyone can claim to be a leader...........

Having the "C" on the jersey just means all of his teammates get a pass for being brain dead and crippled when the pressure is on.

I don't even understand what kind of pressure success is causing these players. The past three years they've gone and just **** themselves when the going was good. You can't trust the supposed leader of a group like that, and you can't trust the group itself. Most of these tools have to be disposed of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he ever did talk to the media last night and made an emotional comment, that would be blown up far more than this.

He was fuming, didn't talk to media. Called in himself to both TSN and Sportsnet radio and answered questions once he cooled down. I don't see the issue

I wouldn't be surprised it was Nonis that asked him to do this, last year Kessel did not speak to the media before the Bruins series, Nonis told him to make himself available, and Kessel the following day answered questions.

This team needs more stand up guys, unfortunately our 2 highest players are not the most articulate people.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Or show someone that has enough character to own up for an error and accept responsibility for it.

How do you handle your mistakes or do you just not make then?

Talk is extremely cheap. There are no words that can make up for the damage this group has done to the Toronto Maple Leafs organization for their extremely painful and dramatic ways of choking the past THREE years. The league just looks at Toronto and they laugh at us. Listen to how dismissive Doughty was about the Leafs. He was right!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Claude Giroux stopped talking to media earlier this when the Flyers were doing crap and he didn't have a goal on the year yet.

Jump 3 or 4 months and people love him again.

Crosby has not spoken to media, Toews has not spoken to media.

Dion came out today and said he was too emotional over how he, himself played let alone the fact that this team once again did a post-deadline choke job and are on par to miss the post-season.

In fact, there was a lot more **** about Dion skipping out then there was on the teams actual play. I'd say Dion took the heat off of everyone else.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't see how this is a story. I'm sure many of us have played hockey before, haven't you ever been so pissed you can barely talk without exploding with anger? I don't blame him one bit. He went home, composed himself, and now explained what happened the next day. Good for him.
He's the ****ing captain. His job is to face the music on behalf of the team, not slag it off on Lupul. Compare Phaneuf to Sundin--who, to my knowledge, always showed up and was always civil even under far more trying circumstances than Dion has had to deal with. If Phaneuf doesn't want this responsibility, let somebody else where the "C."

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised it was Nonis that asked him to do this, last year Kessel did not speak to the media before the Bruins series, Nonis told him to make himself available, and Kessel the following day answered questions.

This team needs more stand up guys, unfortunately our 2 highest players are not the most articulate people.
Maybe it was, but we don't know that. Maybe it was Carlyle that told him not to talk to media yesterday and he just didn't throw him under the bus today.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Claude Giroux stopped talking to media earlier this when the Flyers were doing crap and he didn't have a goal on the year yet.

Jump 3 or 4 months and people love him again.

Crosby has not spoken to media, Toews has not spoken to media.

Dion came out today and said he was too emotional over how he, himself played let alone the fact that this team once again did a post-deadline choke job and are on par to miss the post-season.

In fact, there was a lot more **** about Dion skipping out then there was on the teams actual play. I'd say Dion took the heat off of everyone else.

Crosby and Toews don't need to speak to the media, because they don't have any explaining to do.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
He's the ****ing captain. His job is to face the music on behalf of the team, not slag it off on Lupul. Compare Phaneuf to Sundin--who, to my knowledge, always showed up and was always civil even under far more trying circumstances than Dion has had to deal with. If Phaneuf doesn't want this responsibility, let somebody else where the "C."
I have absolutely no issue with Sundin, but when exactly was he under more trying circumstances? We made the playoffs regularly with him as Captain until right near the end. Phaneuf has gone through constant disappointment even in the year they finally make the playoffs and are supposed to be on the upswing

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Crosby and Toews don't need to speak to the media, because they don't have any explaining to do.

What could you possibly need to hear from Dion?

He said today he sucked last night, he answered questions. He did explain. He just did it 15 hours later. This doesn't matter, and does not have any reflection on him as a player, or this teams leader.

The media, nor us, are entitled to hear from the players. If a player doesn't want to talk, he doesn't need too.

Dion took the night, and spoke today. Woop-dee-****ing-doo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What could you possibly need to hear from Dion?

He said today he sucked last night, he answered questions. He did explain. He just did it 15 hours later. This doesn't matter, and does not have any reflection on him as a player, or this teams leader.

The media, nor us, are entitled to hear from the players. If a player doesn't want to talk, he doesn't need too.

Dion took the night, and spoke today. Woop-dee-****ing-doo

It doesn't matter what any athlete ever says. It's all garbage anyway. It's the idea of being accountable for public scrutiny and taking the heat as the leader so your teenager rookie defenseman teammate doesn't have to in the heat of the moment. You already blew it during the game, at least have the balls to take the beating.

cack

Jul 30, 2013

Yes because Chicago and Pittsburgh and totally comparable teams to Toronto who are are in a the midst of a rebuild.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Maybe it was, but we don't know that. Maybe it was Carlyle that told him not to talk to media yesterday and he just didn't throw him under the bus today.

No need to throw your captain under the bus when...sorry, forgot Reimer wasn't playing. My bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad