Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf, Cuthbert, Lupul, Demand Damages from TSN, Tweeter; May Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
People post stupid **** and gossip on the internet all the time.

A formal retraction and apology posted to the guy's Twitter page should be all that's asked of this individual. The social ostracism that he's going to experience/has experienced because of one dumbass decision is a far worse punishment than what lawyers can do to him.

As for TSN... I feel less sympathy. Yes, it was a mistake. It wasn't intentional to have this tweet appear on air, but with the way the media has treated this team over the years, it's almost asking for these things to happen in one fashion or another. Not everything needs to be drama. The media in this city needs to learn they are sports reporters, not to paraphrase Lupul, working for TMZ.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
are they suing the guy that tweeted it????
Pretending to.

They are just trying to embarrass TSN.

For good reason.

I was watching the TV when it came on.

I was embarrassed for TSN.

Of course, by claiming to sue TSN .... they've given the story *MUCH more Legs*.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
are they suing the guy that tweeted it????

They want an apology from him, and payment for damages. Same from TSN.

If either don't comply, then the lawyer has been instructed to file a lawsuit.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The irony here is that this particular tweet isn't even the most vial, ridiculous thing that Lupul has read on twitter. Ever read his mentions? Brutal.

But the fact that TSN went live with it? Jesus. Moronic & stupid.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If Lupul & co. are pissed off enough. they can sue TSN, the original tweeter, and everyone who retweeted the tweet. Could you imagine that?

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
TSN didn't make a mistake. They chose to air it because they thought it was funny...just like everything else they say about the Leafs.

Will be interesting to see how big this blows up...

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
No, you definitely can.

Twitter isn't a free for all....

Eh show me a case in Canada where someone got sued for a tweet....Id love to see it...Sounds like a huge waste of tax player money...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Has a team ever had more of a mockery of a season?

..... Can't wait until next season.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Of course you do :D. I don't disagree with your premise, but putting the blame on the tweeter for this exact situation is wrong. Twitter is a mass of idiots who have free reign to tweet whatever they want, but it is absolutely the broadcasting company's fault for what airs on their programming.

Never going to be able to silence idiots on the internet, but the blame lies completely with TSN for allowing that to air.

No, the tweeter is EXACTLY the one at fault - and Twitter itself if you want to blame a company. The problem with this society is that people think they can say and do whatever they want behind an Avatar or on twitter and face no repercussions. TSN, while they are at fault for what they did, published the quote that committed libel including the authors name - they never actually said it themselves, sourced to themselves, nor said it was true. While they are at fault, they were not directly the one who committed the offense (though the Supreme Court has ruled recently they are also liable). TSN already acknowledged what they did was wrong, and apologized for it LONG before these demands came out. If the suit is successful it will likely be an out of court settlement as that would set a bad precedent as 3rd parties relaying quoted, direct information. Adragna is the only one here who should pay up.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No, you definitely can.

Twitter isn't a free for all....
Maybe this kind of thing is why people are so....open on twitter. They don't realize how much trouble you can potentially get into. The internet is not a last bastion of safety where you can say or do anything without consequence.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Worse yet, even Phil tried to chime in and use the opportunity. :laugh:

To bash management as to how the team sucking is their fault and not the players.

God I love this team, at least they are entertaining in some fashion.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
No, the tweeter is EXACTLY the one at fault - and Twitter itself if you want to blame a company. The problem with this society is that people think they can say and do whatever they want behind an Avatar or on twitter and face no repercussions. TSN, while they are at fault for what they did, published the quote that committed libel including the authors name - they never actually said it themselves, sourced to themselves, nor said it was true. While they are at fault, they were not directly the one who committed the offense (though the Supreme Court has ruled recently they are also liable). TSN already acknowledged what they did was wrong, and apologized for it LONG before these demands came out. If the suit is successful it will likely be an out of court settlement as that would set a bad precedent as 3rd parties relaying quoted, direct information. Adragna is the only one here who should pay up.

Again, this is fully TSN's fault. You can spin it all you want, and yes I know twitter isn't a get out of jail free card for spewing garbage, but this SPECIFIC incident was caused because TSN aired that on live TV during their own broadcast. TSN is liable, and the tweeter will escape any damage other then an apology. You don't think there are other people that have tweeted the same thing directly at Lupul/Dion and maybe even Elisha? Was it ever an issue before this?

Civil liability is one thing, but corporate liability is a completely different animal.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

TSN obviously knows it did wrong.

TSN radio has also avoided posting the Dubas interview where Craig Button tried to defend TSN's right to post the tweet.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Hard to believe we collapse under pressure so consistently eh?

Yep. They are always like: "We have talent on this team but I don't understand why we collapse".

Well, you collapse because you don't have an ounce of something champions have which is patience.

They lack a thick skin as well. Most of all, the brains to assess situations.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Terribly scary. People will actually have to think about what they post.
Absolutely. There have already been plenty of people's lives ruined, simply due to tweeting something idiotic like this.. individual.. did. It can become self-inflicted character suicide, and it happens fast.
What's amazing to me is that the people that say this kind of stuff in front of an infinite audience are completely clueless as to how harsh and harmful their words actually are. You're not just shootin' the **** with your friends....Twitter is like wild fire. All it takes is one outside source to see it, retweet it to the masses.. and you're done. Worse than you might imagine. Social Media doesn't always stay inside the Social Media.

Here's an article about exactly what could happen to this guy.. It's pretty crazy and well worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad