Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf, Cuthbert, Lupul, Demand Damages from TSN, Tweeter; May Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/-1997197.htm

"On behalf of our clients Dion Phaneuf, his wife Elisha Cuthbert and Joffrey Lupul, we have sent a letter to TSN demanding that TSN issue a formal apology and pay a significant amount of damages to each of our clients for broadcasting a false and defamatory tweet during their trade deadline show yesterday. We are sending a similar letter to the author of the tweet, Mr. Anthony Adragna.

"It is bad enough that there are people who spend their time using social media to publish such false and malicious stories, but it is made much worse when a reputable media outlet like TSN gives broad circulation and credibility to these false stories by republishing them as TSN did.

"If TSN and Mr. Adragna do not immediately comply with the demands set out in our letters, we have instructions from our clients to immediately commence a lawsuit against them.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Man has this escalated. The moderator of that Twitter feed has hopefully been fired. Phaneuf, Lupul and Cuthbert are all in the right.

What a mess this season has been.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Glad to hear this. The guy on twitter needs to be held accountable and I can't believe TSN let that go through.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
And so they should seek damages. That is unacceptable and very poor filtering by TSN, and that guy Adragna.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I think this action brings even more attention then there already was. TSN already apologized, will more cash really make any of them feel any better about it?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Good. I don't wish anyone involved any ill-will but people need to realize there could be repercussions for the things they do online. They should be held accountable

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If it reaches the Canadian mainstream media (and considering who's involved 100% it will), Streisand Effect definitely in full force

Should it not be on whoever was moderating the tweets, and furthermore, why are they letting fans put stuff on air. I understand TSN is trying to be "cool" but do your job and report the news.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think they should. He made a stupid joke on social media. This is all on TSN for broadcasting the tweet on national television on arguably their biggest day of the year

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
a public apology i think is fine... suing for money is taking it a bit far.

when you're a celebrity, people are going to talk and make jokes. i would just forget about it if I were them... everyone else has already forgotten about it... now they're just reminding us.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
No way is the tweet, or what it implies, true.

Truth is a complete defense to Defamation. If it were actually true, it would come out during Discovery. So who knows how this crazy rumor started, but I think it's pretty obvious at this point that it's false. Otherwise, the parties involved would not be threatening to commence legal action, as eventually it would come out.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Good, it's about time people were taken to task for lies they spew online and TSN should frankly know better.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Sets a scary precedent if they sue the tweeter.

Nothing will come of it in court, its a scare tactic. People would be surprised by just how much you can get away with something called free speech. You can't just sue what you dislike if its protected by our charter of rights.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
TSN should be screening the tweets that get aired

but at the same time, I don't see how TSN should be getting more blame than the actual tweeter.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good. That tweet should never have been tweeted in the first place but how it ended up being shown live on their show is very amateurish.

I have seen similar cases over here in Sweden when they have had debates and viewers can send text messages or tweets that are shown on a screen or in the graphics and some times some really nasty racist stuff comes trough the filter for some reason.

My suggestion is to dont show any tweets or text messages at all.

Edit: I was talking about TSN, the tweeter who ever he is should not be sued imo. But then I dont have any one tweeting stories about my sex life either.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Sets a scary precedent if they sue the tweeter.

ya, people talk trash about celebrities on twitter all the time. comes with the territory IMO. if you want to be a celebrity and earn millions of dollars a year... you've gotta know that idiots will make stuff up about you or write stuff online about you that isn't true.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I blame the tweeter much more than TSN. They already issued an apology based on a seeming accident. Demanding any financial compensation from them is simply litigious and sets a bad standard imo. Though the tweeter should pay out the butt.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Should it not be on whoever was moderating the tweets, and furthermore, why are they letting fans put stuff on air. I understand TSN is trying to be "cool" but do your job and report the news.

Nah I agree with you (was referring to the lawsuit, not the tweet itself)

Although really when you're making that tweet and adding the hashtag, clearly has the intention of making it to TSN, as much as you'd probably expect the filter guy to not be a moron.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am so tired. I was like, "Who is "May Sue"?

well there have been complaints that TSN has had the tradetracker/draftcentre twitter box and that it was unprofessional. I'm not sure how it works but is there a filter?

tsn is hooped. (wait, are they using... their bosses? this is confusing).

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
TSN shouldn't have put the tweet on air, and they did apologize, but you can't persecute every idiot on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad