Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf, Cuthbert, Lupul, Demand Damages from TSN, Tweeter; May Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
You don't know that. It might have been a computerized process.

The only thing they could do to automate it is filter out different phrases and words, but this could still produce tweets that have nothing to do with the trade deadline. I would probably bank on it being filtered by a social media attendant.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Well, this puts and end to it I think. CP24 and TSN are both owned by Bell media. So the fact that their lawyers came on CP24, and that they said the following means it has been settled. Case closed. Next!

The tweeter still needs to issue an apology, and both he and TSN need to pay up for damages.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Bingo. Great post 67Cup.

Can't believe some of the ignorance in this thread. How many times do we have to see people attempt to pass off their wrongdoings as "just a joke" before people smarten the hell up. Just because you mean it as a joke, doesn't mean that perspective is shared. The Internet isn't a free-for-all, ignorance won't protect you.

are we assuming that the tweeter is in Canada?

you know, where only our laws apply.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
The media in this city is such a joke!! including TSN. What a bunch of clowns. I really hope no players talk to the media the rest of the year.

Media are bunch of scum buckets!

I hate TSN and Sportsnet.

Except Bobby Mac :)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think this action brings even more attention then there already was. TSN already apologized, will more cash really make any of them feel any better about it?

I think it's good in the sense that the lawsuit is also being levied against the tweeter which hopefully sets some precedent for future idiots who make **** up or repeat libel as fact can also be taken to task.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
The media in this city is such a joke!! including TSN. What a bunch of clowns. I really hope no players talk to the media the rest of the year.

Let us not get carried away here.

Media is doing a pathetic job, and players aren't doing what they are supposed to do either.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I don't think you can call it inadvertent. Somebody had to choose to display that tweet.

Not necessarily. It could have been as simple as a bot that picked out random tweets that have the proper hashtag, as dumb as it would be.

I think one point some people are missing is that the tweeter intentionally included the #TradeCentre hashtag with the possibility of submitting it to get it on air. It wasn't just some random tweet to his friends.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The person who tweeted it, apologized on twitter later. I think suing him would be taking it a little too far. They're millionaires, the guy who tweeted it, while he should know better probably isn't.

TSN deserve to be sued, good riddance. Letting something like that get on air is just dumb, and I hope TSN gets what it deserves.

I agree.

There are trolls everywhere you can't stop the internet.

The reason this is an issue is because TSN put it on live tv. That's just stupid. They should take a hit for doing it.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

What does the media have to do with any of this?

A tweet that shouldn't have appeared ended up on the air.

The media was not involved in the least.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Of course you do :D. I don't disagree with your premise, but putting the blame on the tweeter for this exact situation is wrong. Twitter is a mass of idiots who have free reign to tweet whatever they want, but it is absolutely the broadcasting company's fault for what airs on their programming.

Never going to be able to silence idiots on the internet,
but the blame lies completely with TSN for allowing that to air.

You don't think they'll think twice after this? This guy, just like everyone else, has to realize he is responsible for what he puts out there. If you don't make crap up, you won't get sued. If you do, prepare to be made infamous.

I've read his twitter feed and don't understand how people like that don't get that the internet lasts forever. Any potential employer will google him and realize what a ******* he is.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
wow they must be really pissed. considering the rumour, I get it, but since its just a tweeter dumbass is suing really necessary? tsn apologized, but why get so worked up about something that everyone knows is not true

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Here's the long and short about the tweet itself, in my opinion:

If you post something on the internet, especially about someone else, that you wouldn't actually want to say to that person face to face, or in a public setting with actual people around; it shouldn't be posted on the internet.

Not that many people will ever take it to heart, but it's the kind of thing that's gotten people into trouble like this, and will continue to.

Just a matter of ethics, respect, and general decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad