Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf, Cuthbert, Lupul, Demand Damages from TSN, Tweeter; May Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Again, this is fully TSN's fault. You can spin it all you want, and yes I know twitter isn't a get out of jail free card for spewing garbage, but this SPECIFIC incident was caused because TSN aired that on live TV during their own broadcast. TSN is liable, and the tweeter will escape any damage other then an apology.

Again, it is not fully their fault. If he doesn't post it, it doesn't get on TSN's feed. That's not spin. There are consequences for libel - what the tweeter did. Even if they hadn't broadcasted it, who knows if it doesn't become viral, and then news, and then he alone gets sued. It all comes back to him. He had the audacity to lie.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I have to give Phill credit for standing up. For a guy that doesn't like the media he made a pretty good stand and articulated it pretty well. I'm impressed. Good on Phill!

Durkin67

This is no joke. This is slander. The reputations of three innocent people have been very publicly maligned due to the ignorance of one buffoon and a network guilty of gross negligence.

I hope the Phaneufs and Lupul are rewarded appropriately. It's certainly not about money, its about accountability.

I detest this kind of ignorance and cowardice. I defy this punk to speak to either Lupul or Phaneuf in person like this if he has the stones.

Chances are, whatever they are awarded they will probably donate anyway. Its a matter of principle.

Good on them for not taking this crap. Allowing your wife and your friends/teammates to be slandered doesn't come with the territory of sports celebrity. There are boundaries you don't cross.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Again, this is fully TSN's fault. You can spin it all you want, and yes I know twitter isn't a get out of jail free card for spewing garbage, but this SPECIFIC incident was caused because TSN aired that on live TV during their own broadcast. TSN is liable, and the tweeter will escape any damage other then an apology.

The guy hashtagged it specifically to go to the trade coverage feed, that looks terrible for him. I guess if TSN ever had to pay out money they could easily go after the guy. TSN could blame the lapse on the filtering software, or some intern who was inattentive, but they probably have a semi-good defense that they try to prevent stuff like this going through somehow. In the end Mr. A made the tweet and he should take his punishment like an adult.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Absolutely. There have already been plenty of people's lives ruined, simply due to tweeting something idiotic like this.. individual.. did. It can become self-inflicted character suicide, and it happens fast.
What's amazing to me is that the people that say this kind of stuff in front of an infinite audience are completely clueless as to how harsh and harmful their words actually are. You're not just shootin' the **** with your friends....Twitter is like wild fire. All it takes is one outside source to see it, retweet it to the masses.. and you're done. Worse than you might imagine. Social Media doesn't always stay inside the Social Media.

Here's an article about exactly what could happen to this guy.. It's pretty crazy and well worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=1

If I remember correctly an idiot girl tweeted a joke about a bomb on an airplane and "@" the airliner, and the airline forwarded her info and IP to the FBI who arrested her shortly after. Same thing happened, it blew up on twitter and she was charged.

People are so stupid.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
If I remember correctly an idiot girl tweeted a joke about a bomb on an airplane and "@" the airliner, and the airline forwarded her info and IP to the FBI who arrested her shortly after. Same thing happened, it blew up on twitter and she was charged.

People are so stupid.
They come in all shapes and sizes. It's incredible.. Wow.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
This is no joke. This is slander. The reputations of three innocent people have been very publicly maligned due to the ignorance of one buffoon and a network guilty of gross negligence.

I hope the Phaneufs and Lupul are rewarded appropriately. It's certainly not about money, its about accountability.

I detest this kind of ignorance and cowardice. I defy this punk to speak to either Lupul or Phaneuf in person like this if he has the stones.

Chances are, whatever they are awarded they will probably donate anyway. Its a matter of principle.

Good on them for not taking this crap. Allowing your wife and your friends/teammates to be slandered doesn't come with the territory of sports celebrity. There are boundaries you don't cross.

You are assuming that most of us believe this garbage.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad