Rumor: Phaneuf About to Sign 7 Year/$50 Million Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I will say it again, we will win nothing while he is on this team, i hate it when management fall in love with our players !!

after this, the leafs are ready for another 10 years of sucking

Feb 24, 2004
yup, he's junk if you think he's a 1/2nd dman. 3/4th dman he's a stud. If you can't see that you need to lay off the corsi.

Yes because Corsi was so wrong earlier this year.

Curious where the "keep calm and Corsi's wrong" avatars went?

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
So once he gets his payday we will be back to phaneuf pre current year. Can't wait. Wish they would take all the years into account cause he's been sub par with his bone headed plays.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I will say it again, we will win nothing while he is on this team, i hate it when management fall in love with our players !!

can believe u cant spend 50 mil somewhere else .....another bonehead 'takin g the easy way" move by the leafs .......he was overpaid in calgary
nonis is gonna get what he deserves ....a junior hockey post

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
can believe u cant spend 50 mil somewhere else .....another bonehead 'takin g the easy way" move by the leafs .......he was overpaid in calgary
nonis is gonna get what he deserves ....a junior hockey post

I really wish there was an alternate universe where we could sign Phaneuf and he could also go to FA

That way we can all laugh when teams like Detroit, San Jose etc are lining up with fat contracts ready for Dion to sign.

I actually can't fathom how there are people out there that don't see how good Dion is. The rest of the league knows it, Yzerman, Babcock etc invited the guy to Team Canada's camp... Are all these great hockey minds being fooled? Is Dion really as bad as the seasoned HF Boards hockey scouts make him out to be?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
We need a Girardi or Opriks to back him up.

Couldn't agree more, another signing like a Willie Mitchell/Niskanen/Hainsey would be great as well.

Dion - Girardi
Rielly - Mitchell/Niskanen/Hainsey
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnarsson
Liles

Looks pretty good to me.

Figure out what to do with Gunnar and Liles this off season or deal Franson if his $ number isn't something we can live with but I like his game when he is on it this season is just a bit inconsistent and we haven't had that much support from our wingers either.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I can't believe some people are pissed off about locking up our #1D. They don't grow on trees you know.

I think they are mad that he isn't a true #1 d in both aspects of the game. If he was more adept defensively and meaner leaf fans would have no issue with signing him but its a weird spot that he is our best dman but not the perfect dman for our team. Spending 50 million on something that isn't perfect is bound to rustle some jimmies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Not a fan of this. Bound to happen, I'm over it.

Solid defenseman not 7 mil captain.

My sentiments exactly. I'm hoping that's a conrtact that's movable asap. If you stripped the C, id have less of a problem with it but that won't happen. Phaneuf will never rock a ring leading a team. Hes second fiddle. I love that this guy won't even make the Canadian Olympic squad but this management is willing to sign him for 7 @7.

Feel free to call me out when the official Sochi lineup is announced but we all know he's not bumping subban

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Its incredibly easy to say "we wont win" because chances are, we probably wont. Just like its easy to say"Pittsburgh/Chicago etc wont ever win again" . Its just a stupid statement to make and one that makes 0 sense

Also, anyone "concerned" about the money, did people really believe he'd take a large pay cut? The increase is 500k if its 7m, I don't see why people are expecting him to take less than 6.5. This happens when every player gets signed or re-signed, its incredible how frugal members of this board want the Leafs to be and will complain if he goes.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I don't want him to take a pay cut, i want him off my team. Chances are, if he is our best Dman, then we will go nowhere. And he is not captain material, no matter what anyone can say to defend the guy. The problem i have with dion, is that he is going to get paid elite type money, but he is neither elite defensively nor elite offensively !!

want to replace his minutes, sign girardi & Mcdonald and call it a day, a tight D by committee is better than overpaying for an entitled/overhyped phaneuf

Last edited:

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
My sentiments exactly. I'm hoping that's a conrtact that's movable asap. If you stripped the C, id have less of a problem with it but that won't happen. Phaneuf will never rock a ring leading a team. Hes second fiddle. I love that this guy won't even make the Canadian Olympic squad but this management is willing to sign him for 7 @7.

Feel free to call me out when the official Sochi lineup is announced but we all know he's not bumping subban
Irrelevant.

I don't want him to take a pay cut, i want him off my team. Chances are, if he is our best Dman, then we will never go nowhere. And he is not captain material, no matter what anyone can say to defend the guy. The problem i have with dion, is that he is going to get paid elite type money, but he is neither elite defensively nor elite offensively !!

want to replace his minute, sign girardi & Mcdonald and call it a day
He's already our best all-around defenseman by a mile.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
"Yeah, I don't watch hockey too much. Me and my buddies hit the bar to watch a game once in a while. Most of the time we just stare at the waitresses, but sometimes I glance over at the screen.

Remember that bad play in the playoffs last year? Now whenever we get scored on, I look up and see if he's on the ice so I can find a way to blame him for the goal.

Terrible captain and shouldn't even be a Leaf"

Sincerely,
Genius Poster

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
No way TML has any other option but than to sign him. I was always a big fan of the concept of "Path Dependence" in school and I think it's applicable here. The Leafs made this bed quite some time ago, it's time for us as fans to simply hope for the best, as nothing's going to change for quite some time.

Whether we like it or not our team's nucleus is solidifying more and more each day.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
No way TML has any other option but than to sign him. I was always a big fan of the concept of "Path Dependence" in school and I think it's applicable here. The Leafs made this bed quite some time ago, it's time for us as fans to simply hope for the best, as nothing's going to change for quite some time.

Whether we like it or not our team's nucleus is solidifying more and more each day.

Have you watched the past 25 games or so? I hope that's not them solidifying or were ****ed!

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
He's not playing well offensively, and for $7mill per year you need him to play better. Defensively he has been playing better than anyone else on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad