2019 Winter Classic PGT - THE BEAR DOES AN IRISH JIG AT NOTRE DAME - BRUINS 4 Chicago 2 FINAL

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Completely agree. The ticket sales took a while to get there, but they got there. I thought this was one of the best winter classics they’ve put on start to finish

Wirtz used his liquor distributorships to market this game. If you own a bar in Illinois you deal with him.

He may have discounted tickets but it will pay off in the long term. The family is also one of the biggest landlords in Chicago.

Wirtz Corporation

Generations after its founding, Wirtz Corporation thrives as a private holding company with diversified business interests including real estate, insurance, banking, sports, entertainment and wholesale distribution throughout the United States.

Arthur Wirtz successfully founded the Corporation in 1926 as a real estate company, owning or managing more than 80 buildings in Chicago, Illinois. Today, Wirtz Realty has grown to include an impressive apartment building portfolio, offering 23 luxury residences located in Chicago's most sought-after neighborhoods, an expert leasing and management staff proud to uphold a tradition of more than 80 years of impeccable service and a more recently formed investment and development services division backed by a resourceful team of leaders specializing in construction, engineering, architecture, law, development, operations, marketing, accounting and finance.

That same success has carried through to varied business interests in the Wirtz Corporation portfolio. Wirtz Beverage Group, begun in 1945, has grown into a nationwide, industry leading wholesale beverage-alcohol distributor with operations in Canada.

Wirtz Insurance and bank holdings including Illinois-based First Security Trust & Savings Bank and First National Bank of South Miami remain important components of the company.

The family’s most public businesses are the Chicago Blackhawk Hockey Team and co-ownership of the United Center, for which the team and the Chicago Bulls call home. In 2010 and then again in 2013, the Chicago Blackhawks achieved ultimate success by winning the National Hockey League’s Stanley Cup championship.

The newest addition to the family of companies is Banner Collective, a full-service creative and production company primed to enhance communication and entertainment for the 21st Century.

Built on tradition, the company is led by William Rockwell “Rocky” Wirtz whose value-driven business strategy and determined drive for success have positioned the company for solid growth. Additionally, many family members remain company executives and have committed to bringing innovation and collaboration to business endeavors.

Today, with more than $2 billion in annual revenues and 3,000 employees, Wirtz Corporation stands as one of the largest privately held companies in the United States.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I'm not a big fan of the outdoor games because the hockey generally isn't that good. Snow and bad ice usually slow the pace down and, for me, it's hard to remain interested. I carried that bias into this game but in the end, I was entertained. I thought the pace was pretty good and there were several odd-man rushes and breakaways. Plus, there was that gem of a Bergy backcheck which may have won him another Selke. I mean, I think the Selke is a reputation award, much like the Gold Glove. How many voters watch enough games of each Selke finalist to truly cast an informed vote? Bergy made a big play, and ended up scoring at the other end in the NHL's marquee regular season game. If he stays healthy the rest of the way, I think that play got him the Selke.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just got to my hotel in Chicago.

Fun day! Seats were great, good mix of Bruins and Hawks fans.

Concessions were HORRIBLE. I missed the national anthem and flyover, after getting in line at 12:45. 40 minutes to go 11 people. And then they ran out of food and drink at the first intermission.

Grabbed some Giordano's for dinner...so tasty.
Screenshot_20190101-213657.png

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He hasn’t been better than Kuraly this season.

Sorry Joe but Heinen has to go.

:laugh:

Glad you aren’t the GM.

Kuraly has, to put it quite bluntly, sucked ass for a good part of this season. He regressed from last year and has only recently been flying in the last couple of games.

That doesn’t mean he’s the better player or has been better the majority of this year.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He & Heinen were barely noticeable. I'm not sure how much JFK even saw the ice in the third period. I can only really remember actually noticing he was out there one or two shifts in the entire game. Certainly not being critical of either - I just simply didn't notice them out there.

Kuraly was fantastic - even if he hadn't scored, he was tremendous in all three zones. Acciari was hitting everything that moved. Those two really stood out other than the obvious (63-37-88 & 74-46) among the forwards.

Same with Wagner. He had that beauty of a hit that forced the turnover which lead to the Kuraly goal.

Overall, 7 hits in the game for Wagner and 4 for Acciari. They were solid today.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He & Heinen were barely noticeable. I'm not sure how much JFK even saw the ice in the third period. I can only really remember actually noticing he was out there one or two shifts in the entire game. Certainly not being critical of either - I just simply didn't notice them out there.

Kuraly was fantastic - even if he hadn't scored, he was tremendous in all three zones. Acciari was hitting everything that moved. Those two really stood out other than the obvious (63-37-88 & 74-46) among the forwards.

You can watch any player and find good and bad in their play over the course of a game. Kuraly was flying today on many of his shifts, but he also had some bad turnovers in the B’s end and took a penalty (which was mostly Krug’s fault). Overall, I thought he had a very good game, particularly from the dots in. On the flip side, I didn’t think Acciari did much of anything.

Heinen was solid like he always is. Had one bad play before the Grizz penalty at the end of the 2nd when he overskated the puck and failed to get it out. He was good with 52 and 14, but I thought two of his better shifts were with JFK in the 3rd. One with DeBrusk, the other with Krejci.

I really don’t know why Cassidy split those two guys up?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
You can watch any player and find good and bad in their play over the course of a game. Kuraly was flying today on many of his shifts, but he also had some bad turnovers in the B’s end and took a penalty (which was mostly Krug’s fault). Overall, I thought he had a very good game, particularly from the dots in. On the flip side, I didn’t think Acciari did much of anything.

Heinen was solid like he always is. Had one bad play before the Grizz penalty at the end of the 2nd when he overskated the puck and failed to get it out. He was good with 52 and 14, but I thought two of his better shifts were with JFK in the 3rd. One with DeBrusk, the other with Krejci.

I really don’t know why Cassidy split those two guys up?
I thought his best shift was with DeBrusk and JFK, although it was only one shift, I was hoping to see more. But right now Cassidy is not taking any chances and is coaching to win every shift, which he needs to do.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I thought his best shift was with DeBrusk and JFK, although it was only one shift, I was hoping to see more. But right now Cassidy is not taking any chances and is coaching to win every shift, which he needs to do.

He was very good on the long shift with Krejci and JFK that started on the PP, but I get it.

That Kuraly, Wagner, Nordstrom combo was flying. I would not have gone away from them in the last 6-7 minutes either.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Just finished the game . Rask kept them in this one . Bruins played a great 3rd period . I thought for sure they were going to lose this one after not scoring on those power plays in the 3rd . Keep it rolling Kuraly. It’s nice to see him playing with reckless abandon again .

Reactions: Blowfish

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Was it good otherwise? Sit lines good! Jumbo decent? Sound good?
Site lines were okay. I was basically 40 rows up behind the goal the bruins shot at twice with the jumbo tron right behind me. The sound was perfect, but when the puck was along the boards or in the back of the net closest to me I couldn’t see it.

Tons of Bruins fans there. I would say the ratio was somewhere around 30-40 percent Bruins.

I don’t know if it was the cold or what but people just would not stop leaving their seat to go wait in endless food lines. It drove me and everyone who actually wanted to watch the game nuts.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I'm not a big fan of the outdoor games because the hockey generally isn't that good. Snow and bad ice usually slow the pace down and, for me, it's hard to remain interested. I carried that bias into this game but in the end, I was entertained. I thought the pace was pretty good and there were several odd-man rushes and breakaways. Plus, there was that gem of a Bergy backcheck which may have won him another Selke. I mean, I think the Selke is a reputation award, much like the Gold Glove. How many voters watch enough games of each Selke finalist to truly cast an informed vote? Bergy made a big play, and ended up scoring at the other end in the NHL's marquee regular season game. If he stays healthy the rest of the way, I think that play got him the Selke.

I think the weather and the Ice quality was a factor. It sat right around 33 degrees and cloudy. So there was no glare from the sun, and the well maintained ice had no reason to be bad.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
The Sheriff Cassidy image will stick with me for a long time...

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Does anyone know why Bobby Orr wasn’t there yesterday? He wasn’t at Middleton’s number retirement, either. Is he okay? It’s not like him to miss these things.

I’m asking for a friend.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad