WJC: PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
palulievegas, why don`t you go sign up for the US marines - then you play the faux tough guy role with some peasant villagers and feel like your testicles have finally descended? Most of the canadian posters have been nothing but class in defeat - but an ******* like you, as per your customary behaviour, nonetheless sees fit to take gratuitous cheapshots at all canadians. I`d say something about people in glass houses, but you americans seems astonishingly blind to your own shortcomings while undermining in red ink the perceived failings of others.

why you aren`t banned is utterly beyond me; must be too american moderators overseeing this site.

Is anything I said not true? Seriously. Just answer me that question. Is anything I said not 100% true? Find me one Canadian that said "you were the better team" after we won WC1996. Find me one Canadian that didn't think we only won the 2010 preliminary game because of Ryan Miller.

When the Juniors are played in Canada, the crowd boos us. They don't boo Russia, they don't boo Sweden, but they boo us. A bunch of 19-year-old kids just trying to represent their country get booed. And by a people that are supposed to be our friends. And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

Every time Canada wins I have to come to this board and read a bunch of "USA sucks a--" or "Canada owns USA" or "Canada will always dominate the USA." And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

Every time I come here I am greeted by a lot of arrogant Canadian posts (not all, but enough) who treat these games as if it's a foregone conclusion that they will win and the rest of us should just stay home. Someone before the tournament literally started a thread that was called "Can anyone realistically beat Canada?" And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

I didn't say anything that I haven't seen said about the USA by Canadians in the past when we get spanked. I think the problem is that you're just sore about having lost and you're venting. Have a cup of decaf and relax. Despite my anti-Canada reputation, I have said many complimentary things about Canada in the past, including after you waxed us in the 2011 Juniors and after you won Olympic gold in 2010. Including in this very thread. See post #921 where I state quite clearly that Canada is still the best in hockey.

Just curious, you say you've noticed I've been coming here for years yet are a rookie user with two posts under your belt. Who are you really, and why not just post under your real user name instead of creating a new one just for me?

excitation

Jan 3, 2013
VanCity
What's with the hostility?

What a spanking the Americans laid on the Canada today. Nothing better than watching the Canadians embarassingly skate off the ice with their heads down. Even better was watching the camera pan the crowd to see all the arrogant and self-righteous Canadian fans sitting in disbelief.

Well done USA.

A great win for the USA Jr. program, and I'm now placing my money on the USA winning the Gold medals... The US team was just that, a team... confident, quick, rising to the occasion. That can't be said for the Canadian team, which to me looked disinterested, frustrated and lacking any real desire (which isn't usually how Canada plays hockey). Your posting is a bit over-the-top, yes the Americans beat the Canadians handily, but to call 'all' Canadian hockey fans arrogant and self-righteous is also bit arrogant, I congratulate the young Americans, but once they win 5 tournaments in a row, I'll place them truly in the upper echelon of world Jr. hockey powers, 'till that day take it easy my friend, it's one game in hockey history, year 2013.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Congrats to the US. Deserved the win and got the win. Plain and simple.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This isn't getting old any time soon. Probably a top 5 victory of my entire life including the Rangers.

I've seen us beat Canada before but this was on a different level. This time there were no excuses, no breaks, no could've gone either way. We finally showed up and just completely outplayed the Canadians for 60 minutes. I waited 20 years to see that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't say anything that I haven't seen said about the USA by Canadians in the past when we get spanked.

I see. You're just sinking to the lowest common denominator. That's fun to do.

...actually it is, a lot of us are just pissed because we don't get to do it to you. It's been rough as a Canadian troll the last few years with the way the WJC has gone.

Way easier to troll when everyone else is the nail to Canada's hammer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For all that gets said about team play, or the goalie, or the coaching, I think one major point is over-looked. Team play is what wins you games that you were "in" in the first place. Canada was never in this game, from the first shift. You could argue that it's because their team play was **** from the get go, but that happens. What wins you games like these are individuals. Individuals who refuse to lie down, who say "I'm not playing for bronze," and single handedly get the team back in the game. That individual simply was not wearing a Maple Leaf today.

Completely disagree, the team game allows your individuals the moment to grab the game. When you don't play like a team no amount of individual talent is likely in most scenarios to allow you to be close enough to matter.

For years this was actually the idea that crushed American hockey. We need a Roenick or Modano. We need to create a superstar. It would be nice but that isn't what has helped turn the program. Although the first two players certainly made hockey more popular in the states not to diminish their accomplishments.

The USA decided on a development and a system that could improve the team and players. But it falls in the team concept. They all take power skating, they work together now. They allow for various different aspects but the American game of break neck speed has now started to come to the forefront. When a guy like Bob McKenzie says consistently over the last decade the Americans have been the fastest team at this tournament that is no mistake. They pushed the team concepts and improved.

It very much reminds me of the scene in Miracle when he explains why the Soviets were so good in their heyday. They used their talent in a system that was utterly unique. Right now some of the time the Canadians have not got their system off the ground here lately. They will look disorganized or they take players because of draft status or coaching arrangements at this level. It has been counter productive. Also quite frankly the other nations picked up on something else and seem to focus on it. The goalie is the great equalizer in this sport and they develop a lot of them. You have seen a similar focus for US soccer to help push development. Though a little less important there, identifying the most important position and stressing development is important. Hockey Canada needs to work on their goalies again, once a huge strength they are likely to show up to Sochi with the 4th or 5th best goaltending duo.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
When the Juniors are played in Canada, the crowd boos us. They don't boo Russia, they don't boo Sweden, but they boo us. A bunch of 19-year-old kids just trying to represent their country get booed. And by a people that are supposed to be our friends. And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

Did you say Canadians do not boo Russia? You got to be kidding me. Russia is still more hated than America when it comes to hockey in Canada. You need to calm down. First of all, do not generalize a fringe of Canadian posters with everyone. USA had beaten Canada in 2010 to break the streak of 5 straight Gold Medals, so that is why USA got booed in Canada. At the end of the day, it is just a hockey game, which posters from every nation needs to remember. No need to get in a internet war over a hockey game (LOL).

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Completely disagree, the team game allows your individuals the moment to grab the game. When you don't play like a team no amount of individual talent is likely in most scenarios to allow you to be close enough to matter.

For years this was actually the idea that crushed American hockey. We need a Roenick or Modano. We need to create a superstar. It would be nice but that isn't what has helped turn the program. Although the first two players certainly made hockey more popular in the states not to diminish their accomplishments.

The USA decided on a development and a system that could improve the team and players. But it falls in the team concept. They all take power skating, they work together now. They allow for various different aspects but the American game of break neck speed has now started to come to the forefront. When a guy like Bob McKenzie says consistently over the last decade the Americans have been the fastest team at this tournament that is no mistake. They pushed the team concepts and improved.

It very much reminds me of the scene in Miracle when he explains why the Soviets were so good in their heyday. They used their talent in a system that was utterly unique. Right now some of the time the Canadians have not got their system off the ground here lately. They will look disorganized or they take players because of draft status or coaching arrangements at this level. It has been counter productive. Also quite frankly the other nations picked up on something else and seem to focus on it. The goalie is the great equalizer in this sport and they develop a lot of them. You have seen a similar focus for US soccer to help push development. Though a little less important there, identifying the most important position and stressing development is important. Hockey Canada needs to work on their goalies again, once a huge strength they are likely to show up to Sochi with the 4th or 5th best goaltending duo.

It also helps that the core of these teams come up together in the NDTP. Canadian teams are thrown together usually for the first time ever before the tournament. They might want to take the U18s a bit more seriously.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is anything I said not true? Seriously. Just answer me that question. Is anything I said not 100% true? Find me one Canadian that said "you were the better team" after we won WC1996. Find me one Canadian that didn't think we only won the 2010 preliminary game because of Ryan Miller.

Every time Canada wins I have to come to this board and read a bunch of "USA sucks a--" or "Canada owns USA" or "Canada will always dominate the USA." And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

Every time I come here I am greeted by a lot of arrogant Canadian posts (not all, but enough) who treat these games as if it's a foregone conclusion that they will win and the rest of us should just stay home. Someone before the tournament literally started a thread that was called "Can anyone realistically beat Canada?" And yet I'm the bad guy who should be banned.

I didn't say anything that I haven't seen said about the USA by Canadians in the past when we get spanked. I think the problem is that you're just sore about having lost and you're venting. Have a cup of decaf and relax. Despite my anti-Canada reputation, I have said many complimentary things about Canada in the past, including after you waxed us in the 2011 Juniors and after you won Olympic gold in 2010. Including in this very thread. See post #921 where I state quite clearly that Canada is still the best in hockey.

Just curious, you say you've noticed I've been coming here for years yet are a rookie user with two posts under your belt. Who are you really, and why not just post under your real user name instead of creating a new one just for me?

If you focus on the negatives in any demographic, you can reinforce any negative impression you come in with no matter how small the percentage of people who actually exhibit it.

Be more positive - your team just won. You might even find that the majority of Canadian posters here are very gracious in defeat.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This isn't getting old any time soon. Probably a top 5 victory of my entire life including the Rangers.

I've seen us beat Canada before but this was on a different level. This time there were no excuses, no breaks, no could've gone either way. We finally showed up and just completely outplayed the Canadians for 60 minutes. I waited 20 years to see that.

+1 ...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This. I hope we can build on this. The idea that we need to win five in a row doesn't scan with me. Canada will always have more history and records that we can dream to chase. USA Hockey has improved across the board a lot over the last three decades. We are not hockey royalty nor should we be. But how far we have come is a big deal, what we need to do now is clean up things like last years 7th place and continue on this build. We have a calling card in speed and a system. Also we are starting to get expectations that are much better. It is all encouraging stuff as a die-hard hockey fan that is American.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Honestly, Canada didn't ice that good a team. Nor were they led well.

-First off, RNH isn't that great. He's no Gretzky or Lemieux or even Crosby or even Tavares. He's just RNH.
-Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, Malcom Subban isn't good at all. It was quite obvious that he wasn't the best goalie available to Canada for this tournament, yet he was allowed to start regardless, which brings us to...
-Third, the coaching. Duh? Next time pick a presense, not a crybaby. Somebody that gets the players to play hard against hard teams, not bully soft players on soft teams.
-Fourth, once again they didn't employ a tournament strategy. They just played game to game, treating all the same and adpoted a ho-hum, 'we're gonna win this easily' attitude until they were once again put on their ass. You'd think they'd learn to pick it up after this many years of falling flat, but here we go again.

Honest assessment: They won't be winning bronze either. Russia played the same rope-a-dope tournament the US did and they'll hammer disinterested Canada as well.

TOML

You essentially had home ice for 3 straight years and didn't win Gold once. You go on the road
and you 're fighting to now get a bronze. The dominant glory days for Canada are in danger of being a thing of the past.

excitation

Jan 3, 2013
VanCity

Have to admit the booing of Canadian fans towards the Jr. Americans is a bit idiotic, but you have to recognize the type of person doing it... young, male, arrogant = boneheads

And all the negative postings when Canada does beat the USA, it's then so very easy to trash an opponent that's just lost, especially the USA - which it then seems young, male Canadian lads enjoy doing for whatever reason, I think it's the very loose fact that typically Americans feel they're untouchable, the country that's known for it's freedoms, military might, over-the-top patriotism, etc., which grinds the nerves of even the most laid-back hosers.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I think people who want to make broad, sweeping generalizations based on a recent, small sample size are barking up the wrong tree. The Americans have gelled this year and absolutely outplayed Canada (congrats), but there weren't many people extolling the virtues of Team USA's system when they finished 7th last year, no offense.

There's an ebb and flow to success in these tournaments.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Wow... The post I have for that would get me banned. :rant:

It is a shame that whenever we aren't playing hockey or getting booed in Montreal we actually get along quite well.

Dude it's twitter. IT just allows all the idiots to write down what they are thinking.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
To the Canadian fans calling the US posters classless, here's some of the tweets from your fellow countrymen.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/3/3831186/canada-vs-usa-angry-fans-world-junior-hockey-2013

Really? It's just a game.

Too be honest, if football was an international game and another team spanked the yanks, you guys might be a tad upset to. :(

Don't take those tweets seriously, they're not the majority of canadian thoughts.

I mean, they quoted Soulja Boy in there ffs. Is he even Canadian? :help:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have to admit the booing of Canadian fans towards the Jr. Americans is a bit idiotic, but you have to recognize the type of person doing it... young, male, arrogant = boneheads

And all the negative postings when Canada does beat the USA, it's then so very easy to trash an opponent that's just lost, especially the USA - which it then seems young, male Canadian lads enjoy doing for whatever reason, I think it's the very loose fact that typically Americans feel they're untouchable, the country that's known for it's freedoms, military might, over-the-top patriotism, etc., which grinds the nerves of even the most laid-back hosers.

I also think some of our own US juniors have welcomed this behavior. The Americans will say they respect the Canadians but usually more than one will provide the material that gets that crowd going. Our guys don't hide the fact beating Canada means more than beating anybody else and a guy like Jack Johnson will say he hates team Canada. What do you think is going to be the response?

the beat

cursum perficio
Mar 5, 2011
canmore/sask
I don't mind taking a good stomping from the States once in a while. It makes Canadian fans and players remember that just because hockey is Canada's game, does not mean that there aren't countries out there that rival us at every step, and in cases like today's game give us a good lesson at how it's supposed to be played. Would be very happy with everything if I were an American hockey fan.

Not sure who I'm cheering for in the gold medal game. Would really not mind seeing either team win, and honestly wouldn't mind seeing Russia take bronze either. As a Canucks fan I wouldn't mind seeing RNH's legacy getting off on the wrong foot. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad