WJC: PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I also think some of our own US juniors have welcomed this behavior. The Americans will say they respect the Canadians but usually more than one will provide the material that gets that crowd going. Our guys don't hide the fact beating Canada means more than beating anybody else and a guy like Jack Johnson will say he hates team Canada. What do you think is going to be the response?

Of course they want to beat Canada. When they get jeered by Canadians playing against the Czechs, what else do you expect. I use to be a fan of the Canadian team as a kid because of all their great players. I quickly learned that was impossible.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Did you say Canadians do not boo Russia? You got to be kidding me. Russia is still more hated than America when it comes to hockey in Canada. You need to calm down. First of all, do not generalize a fringe of Canadian posters with everyone. USA had beaten Canada in 2010 to break the streak of 5 straight Gold Medals, so that is why USA got booed in Canada. At the end of the day, it is just a hockey game, which posters from every nation needs to remember. No need to get in a internet war over a hockey game (LOL).

I clearly remember the 1996 WC of Hockey PO round game played in Canada when the US beat Russia.
The Canadian fans were all cheering for Russia. I was shocked. Never realized the US hate. Various Boston area youth teams had ugly incidents during the very beginning of The Iraq invasion
in Montreal.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Did you say Canadians do not boo Russia? You got to be kidding me. Russia is still more hated than America when it comes to hockey in Canada. You need to calm down. First of all, do not generalize a fringe of Canadian posters with everyone. USA had beaten Canada in 2010 to break the streak of 5 straight Gold Medals, so that is why USA got booed in Canada. At the end of the day, it is just a hockey game, which posters from every nation needs to remember. No need to get in a internet war over a hockey game (LOL).

I gotta disagree with that. At least in my experience. I attended all the USA games in Edmonton last year during the World Juniors - and the disdain for the Americans was actually disgusting. Like I mean literally people hate the US. They dislike Russia too but anyone the US played, they were the home team and the Americans were booed. People's favorite teams were 1.Canada 2.Anyone but the USA.

I'm Canadian but I support the US in hockey. Just the way the cookie crumbled (I'm a Stars fan), my all time favorite player is American and most my fave players down the list are as well: Jon Casey, Neal Broten, Derian Hatcher, Brett Hull, Jack Campbell. I use to cheer for my own country but at the same time I would wish the Americans well. That wasn't good enough. I was suppose to hate the Americans. The backlash I received at the very mention of any type of like for the USA was ridiculous. And I can't tell you how many times I've been called a traitor just for wearing a Stars' Modano jersey. "You f***in American! Go home you traitor!" Etc etc. I've heard it all. Disgusting. I had love for both, but because of my own people I've kinda swayed more to one side. Shouldn't be that way but it is. Call me what you wish.

I know there's idiots on both sides, but I just go by my own experiences.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think people who want to make broad, sweeping generalizations based on a recent, small sample size are barking up the wrong tree. The Americans have gelled this year and absolutely outplayed Canada (congrats), but there weren't many people extolling the virtues of Team USA's system when they finished 7th last year, no offense.

There's an ebb and flow to success in these tournaments.

I guess you should read my previous post when I pointed that out. I just think the idea of focusing on team has had pretty good results and the way America has pushed skating at the junior level.

We aren't going for 14 straight medals and it is hard to imagine a time when we would, but the growth has been pretty impressive.

Here is the quote on the very same page.

This. I hope we can build on this. The idea that we need to win five in a row doesn't scan with me. Canada will always have more history and records that we can dream to chase. USA Hockey has improved across the board a lot over the last three decades. We are not hockey royalty nor should we be. But how far we have come is a big deal, what we need to do now is clean up things like last years 7th place and continue on this build. We have a calling card in speed and a system. Also we are starting to get expectations that are much better. It is all encouraging stuff as a die-hard hockey fan that is American.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
What a spanking the Americans laid on the Canada today. Nothing better than watching the Canadians embarassingly skate off the ice with their heads down. Even better was watching the camera pan the crowd to see all the arrogant and self-righteous Canadian fans sitting in disbelief.

Well done USA.

Yes, ALL Canadians are arrogant and self-righteous. :shakehead

And thankfully you're not being arrogant and self-righteous...:amazed:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Completely disagree, the team game allows your individuals the moment to grab the game. When you don't play like a team no amount of individual talent is likely in most scenarios to allow you to be close enough to matter.

For years this was actually the idea that crushed American hockey. We need a Roenick or Modano. We need to create a superstar. It would be nice but that isn't what has helped turn the program. Although the first two players certainly made hockey more popular in the states not to diminish their accomplishments.

The USA decided on a development and a system that could improve the team and players. But it falls in the team concept. They all take power skating, they work together now. They allow for various different aspects but the American game of break neck speed has now started to come to the forefront. When a guy like Bob McKenzie says consistently over the last decade the Americans have been the fastest team at this tournament that is no mistake. They pushed the team concepts and improved.

It very much reminds me of the scene in Miracle when he explains why the Soviets were so good in their heyday. They used their talent in a system that was utterly unique. Right now some of the time the Canadians have not got their system off the ground here lately. They will look disorganized or they take players because of draft status or coaching arrangements at this level. It has been counter productive. Also quite frankly the other nations picked up on something else and seem to focus on it. The goalie is the great equalizer in this sport and they develop a lot of them. You have seen a similar focus for US soccer to help push development. Though a little less important there, identifying the most important position and stressing development is important. Hockey Canada needs to work on their goalies again, once a huge strength they are likely to show up to Sochi with the 4th or 5th best goaltending duo.

And what happens in games like today when a team like Canada, who showed against the Russians that they do have very strong systems play, has their system cracked open like a walnut, or never get it started in the first place?

Troops don't rally for a strategy, they rally for a leader, and today, Canada had no leader. An individual doesn't win you a game, that's true. Teams win games. But, as I said, in games like these, to get the team going again, it comes down to the individual. Everyone in the room realized it today: "one of us is going to have to turn this around if we're going to win." And not one of them answered the bell. There was no Tavares, or Eberle to say "we're not playing for Bronze."

As a habs fan, I've seen how far systems and teams get you, and that's quite far. But when someone has an answer for your system, and you don't have the individual to lead you past that hurdle, you're done. There's nothing that can be done, because there's no one to do it.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I gotta disagree with that. At least in my experience. I attended all the USA games in Edmonton last year during the World Juniors - and the disdain for the Americans was actually disgusting. Like I mean literally people hate the US. They dislike Russia too but anyone the US played, they were the home team and the Americans were booed. People's favorite teams were 1.Canada 2.Anyone but the USA.

They did this in Buffalo too. Hate might be too strong of a word but I don't know what to call it or where it's coming from either. It's not like the US has been that big of a rival for them over the years.

That's the biggest reason why Canada losing was so sweet this time. That and all those "Hockey is OUR game" chumps in the crowd.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm Canadian but I support the US in hockey. Just the way the cookie crumbled (I'm a Stars fan), my all time favorite player is American and most my fave players down the list are as well: Jon Casey, Neal Broten, Derian Hatcher, Brett Hull, Jack Campbell. I use to cheer for my own country but at the same time I would wish the Americans well. That wasn't good enough. I was suppose to hate the Americans. The backlash I received at the very mention of any type of like for the USA was ridiculous. And I can't tell you how many times I've been called a traitor just for wearing a Stars' Modano jersey. "You f***in American! Go home you traitor!" Etc etc. I've heard it all. Disgusting. I had love for both, but because of my own people I've kinda swayed more to one side. Shouldn't be that way but it is. Call me what you wish.

Canada has lost a lot of talented players and beloved teams to the US out of sheer population discrepancy. This leads to some prominent talented players having prominent talented children in the US, then playing for their national team against us.

Because of this, understandably I think, there's some resentment from Canadians for taking our national game bit-by-bit despite it being a niche sport in the US, thanks in large part to a numbers game.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have kept silent the past few years as I watch team Canada assemble the almost exact same lineups with the exact same players and lose.

I watched them assemble a mostly OHL squad and ignore the WHL year after year

I watched them not bring any bruisers on Defense and keep bringing these "high end offensive D"

I watched them stop having an "energy line"

I watched them try and bring in 17 year olds to an 19 year old Tourney

I watched them play right into their opponents hands and not play Canadian hockey. Where was the grit and the fight in this team?

Go back to what worked and load your team up with WHLers and stop these ludicrous Team OHL lineups that don't have the heart to win
This is very true.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I know there's idiots on both sides, but I just go by my own experiences.

Sorry to hear the crap you went through. Not everyone hates the US. I actually root for the Americans once Canada gets eliminated in hockey (if the US is still alive). I was just replying to the poster who said that Canada never boos the Russians (not true, ask the Russians last year in Edmonton). Russia is still from my eyes Canada`s biggest rival. I hate more losing to Russia than the States (maybe because we are neighbours and allies). I still hate losing to the States though, and today was not a good day for me and i needed a couple of cold ones to get through the day (LOL). Thankfully i had the day off from work, since it would have been a hard day at the office given Canada`s performance.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess you should read my previous post when I pointed that out. I just think the idea of focusing on team has had pretty good results and the way America has pushed skating at the junior level.

We aren't going for 14 straight medals and it is hard to imagine a time when we would, but the growth has been pretty impressive.

Here is the quote on the very same page.

Cool, missed that.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
They did this in Buffalo too. Hate might be too strong of a word but I don't know what to call it or where it's coming from either. It's not like the US has been that big of a rival for them over the years.

That's the biggest reason why Canada losing was so sweet this time. That and all those "Hockey is OUR game" chumps in the crowd.

Probably the same reason that Mexican fans don't like us in Soccer.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I clearly remember the 1996 WC of Hockey PO round game played in Canada when the US beat Russia.
The Canadian fans were all cheering for Russia. I was shocked. Never realized the US hate. Various Boston area youth teams had ugly incidents during the very beginning of The Iraq invasion
in Montreal.

I call bs. I don't know anyone who would cheer for Russia over the US. And don't judge all of Canada from a handful of people in Quebec...some of them hate Canada too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Canada has lost a lot of talented players and beloved teams to the US out of sheer population discrepancy. This leads to some prominent talented players having prominent talented children in the US, then playing for their national team against us.

Because of this, understandably I think, there's some resentment from Canadians for taking our national game bit-by-bit despite it being a niche sport in the US, thanks in large part to a numbers game.

I have a question on this. I do see a lot of Canadian kids as well, but how do you account for the fact our US system and developmental program seems to really pump up these kids values? They target them and make their development paramount. Team USA is filled with lots of second generation pro kids, but man they seem to do a lot more with them and I find that interesting.

Also could point out Zack Parise and some of the other guys constantly pointed out here think of themselves as American. It is their choice that is how they view themselves as individuals and their say in the matter is ultimately what matters. For the most part these guys aren't the Brett Hull type situations anymore. Some of them with options to pursue Canada or in one kids case this year Russia have made the choice that they are American and people should repsect that.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not going to read this thread as I'm pretty sure it's full of ridiculous posts from both sides.

Just wanted to say congrats to team USA on their win. Certainly earned it, and came out much hungrier, and with more jump. Team USA also looked to be playing much better as a team, and have to give Housley some credit there. The skating of the US defense and their ability to join the rush nonstop was something to watch.

Best of luck in the finals!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The hatred from the Mexicans is definitely far worse.

Ehhhh, I'm not sure about that. Canadians are just more reserved and unlikely to throw a beer at you.

Also Mexicans in Mexico and Americans of Mexican descent are different. Most of the hate comes internally.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I call bs. I don't know anyone who would cheer for Russia over the US. And don't judge all of Canada from a handful of people in Quebec...some of them hate Canada too.

Heh, I got a text from my Canadian friend this morning.

"Go Russia"

It's all fair though since I did the same to him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad