WJC: PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ehhhh, I'm not sure about that. Canadians are just more reserved and unlikely to throw a beer at you.

Also Mexicans in Mexico and Americans of Mexican descent are different. Most of the hate comes internally.

A lot of the Canadian families that move here when their kids are born in America they view themselves as American first and Canadian second. It is usually pretty much the opposite with Mexican-Americans.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
A lot of the Canadian families that move here when their kids are born in America they view themselves as American first and Canadian second. It is usually pretty much the opposite with Mexican-Americans.

The US team has a host of players of Mexican descent. Gomez, Corona, Castillo, Torres just off the top of my head. That's a stereotype that gets bandied about that simply isn't accurate.

Obviously the population of Mexicans in the US is significantly larger than Canadians.

DaDucks*

Ehhhh, I'm not sure about that. Canadians are just more reserved and unlikely to throw a beer at you.

Also Mexicans in Mexico and Americans of Mexican descent are different. Most of the hate comes internally.

???
Beer throwing?

Try expired batteries and plastic bags of
Pee

And that's for our starting lineup
Fans get worse I'm sure lol

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
They did this in Buffalo too. Hate might be too strong of a word but I don't know what to call it or where it's coming from either. It's not like the US has been that big of a rival for them over the years.

That's the biggest reason why Canada losing was so sweet this time. That and all those "Hockey is OUR game" chumps in the crowd.

Hate MAY be a strong word, but it's not far off. Probably very fitting in a lot of cases. I actually had a USA flag as a cape at the New Years game last year. Jack Campbell gave me his blocker after the game and I was leaving Rexall Place as it had died down quite a bit. My buddy had to exit one way so we parted ways. I could hear a group of about 5 guys and 5 gals behind me. Next thing I know I got a huge "yank" on my neck from the flag and I turned around ready to start throwing. It was one of the gals - drunk. The guys with her were forcing her to let go and were apologetic. Not that I'm Schwarzenegger but I was ready to go so good thing they were cooperative. She apologized, we chatted, it was all good. I can only imagine if the US had won!

Canada has lost a lot of talented players and beloved teams to the US out of sheer population discrepancy. This leads to some prominent talented players having prominent talented children in the US, then playing for their national team against us.

Because of this, understandably I think, there's some resentment from Canadians for taking our national game bit-by-bit despite it being a niche sport in the US, thanks in large part to a numbers game.

I can see that, a bit. I mean I know that's partially why. But I never crossed the two. I never mixed up international affairs with the NHL. Up until I started getting called a traitor, I never really differentiated between American players and Canadian ones or American teams and Canadian ones. I didn't care. It was a non-issue. Canadians need to stop acting like they wanna take their ball and go home. I don't mean to you, but it's the attitude of many. I mean hey, makes for a good rivalry and heated match-ups, but I just wish my fellow Canadians weren't so offended at anything and everything that has to do with the US. And when the US does win a game or a tourney, handle it with class and admit that we aren't as dominant as we once were rather than opening up the big book of excuses, and getting in to politics.

And as far as a player's roots, what truly matters is where they're trained, not where their dad or mom or grandfather was born. If we traced everyone's roots I think European nations would be the only ones playing. Heck Mike Modano would be on Team Italy.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I call bs. I don't know anyone who would cheer for Russia over the US. And don't judge all of Canada from a handful of people in Quebec...some of them hate Canada too.

Listen pal don't tell me what I witnessed ln TV. When the US scored there was zero cheering and when Russia scored there was plenty. Don't tell me WHAT I SAW.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The US team has a host of players of Mexican descent. Gomez, Corona, Castillo, Torres just off the top of my head. That's a stereotype that gets bandied about that simply isn't accurate.

Obviously the population of Mexicans in the US is significantly larger than Canadians.

They have plenty, but those players are much closer to the Hull decision. Many of them attempted for years to make the Mexican national team, some suited up for them as well. Boca probably our most famous as far as making the choice to represent the US from day one and is now are captain.

By the way their #1 goalie for the next decade, will be of American decent so that should be interesting how often they get to hear about that. Even developed in America every step of the way, straight through FC Dallas. He choose Mexico though and that is his choice and I respect that.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
at least one year of bragging rights...woot. Those evil Swedes better not mess this thing up.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
They have plenty, but those players are much closer to the Hull decision. Many of them attempted for years to make the Mexican national team, some suited up for them as well. Boca probably our most famous as far as making the choice to represent the US from day one and is now are captain.

By the way their #1 goalie for the next decade, will be of American decent so that should be interesting how often they get to hear about that. Even developed in America every step of the way, straight through FC Dallas. He choose Mexico though and that is his choice and I respect that.

Only one I can think of that did that was Castillo. Corona was with the US team first. Gomez, Bornstein, Torres etc never played for Mexico. The youth program is full of latino players.

It's not like this doesn't happen with Canada either. Tyler Myers, Jamieson Oleksiak.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hate MAY be a strong word, but it's not far off. Probably very fitting in a lot of cases. I actually had a USA flag as a cape at the New Years game last year. Jack Campbell gave me his blocker after the game and I was leaving Rexall Place as it had died down quite a bit. My buddy had to exit one way so we parted ways. I could hear a group of about 5 guys and 5 gals behind me. Next thing I know I got a huge "yank" on my neck from the flag and I turned around ready to start throwing. It was one of the gals - drunk. The guys with her were forcing her to let go and were apologetic. Not that I'm Schwarzenegger but I was ready to go so good thing they were cooperative. She apologized, we chatted, it was all good. I can only imagine if the US had won!

It shouldn't have to be this way but long ago I stopped wearing rival jerseys and things to away games. You are asking for trouble, I know the desire to support a team is there. But it is probably best just to leave that stuff at home and root for your team in a calm fashion. It sucks that is where sports are and it is bad all over, North America seems to be catching up to Europe in this regard.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It shouldn't have to be this way but long ago I stopped wearing rival jerseys and things to away games. You are asking for trouble, I know the desire to support a team is their. But it is probably best just to leave that stuff at home and root for your team in a calm fashion. It sucks that is where sports are and it is bad all over, North America seems to be catching up to Europe in this regard.

There was a great article a year or so ago, I can't remember where, that talked about how in many ways current gang culture and sports are very similar. Fans used to never wear team apparel to games, but now in many ways there are similar attitudes regarding turf, colors etc that are being reflected in stadiums today.

When I go to games in opposing venues I also tend to keep quiet and usually don't wear another teams shirt.

The exception I found was Nebraska football. Those guys are so nice!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There was a great article a year or so ago, I can't remember where, that talked about how in many ways current gang culture and sports are very similar. Fans used to never wear team apparel to games, but now in many ways there are similar attitudes regarding turf, colors etc that are being reflected in stadiums today.

When I go to games in opposing venues I also tend to keep quiet and usually don't wear another teams shirt.

The exception I found was Nebraska football. Those guys are so nice!

Absolutely, Nebraska fans are the best I have come across. UND hockey has a similar fan-base although maybe it changes with the U (the hockey U and original U) when they play.

I remember visiting a buddy who went to Miami of Ohio and getting my car keyed with OSU during the U of M vs. OSU game weekend. Different city and the fact I grew up a MSU fan had me about as angry as possible. Just for having a Michigan plate that weekend, nothing to do with the University that happened. That was in Oxford, Ohio too, not Columbus.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Absolutely, Nebraska fans are the best I have come across. UND hockey has a similar fan-base although maybe it changes with the U (the hockey U and original U) when they play.

I remember visiting a buddy who went to Miami of Ohio and getting my car keyed with OSU during the U of M vs. OSU game weekend. Different city and the fact I grew up a MSU fan had me about as angry as possible. Just for having a Michigan plate that weekend, nothing to do with the University that happened. That was in Oxford, Ohio too, not Columbus.

I think it's a midwest thing because Gopher fans are also pretty nice. They'd throw a few good natured barbs about beating us but it was all in good fun and they'd usually say "just messing with you" right after. After we lost the Saturday game guys at the bar were trying to talk up Wisconsin. "They are just having a bad stretch." "You'll bounce back."

Now Michigan and Ohio State fans...... :rant:

Dado

I'm a Canadian and I would cheer for the Russians over the US. I want the chsmpuonship to go to a country that actually gives a damn about winning it.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I gotta disagree with that. At least in my experience. I attended all the USA games in Edmonton last year during the World Juniors - and the disdain for the Americans was actually disgusting. Like I mean literally people hate the US. They dislike Russia too but anyone the US played, they were the home team and the Americans were booed. People's favorite teams were 1.Canada 2.Anyone but the USA.

I'm Canadian but I support the US in hockey. Just the way the cookie crumbled (I'm a Stars fan), my all time favorite player is American and most my fave players down the list are as well: Jon Casey, Neal Broten, Derian Hatcher, Brett Hull, Jack Campbell. I use to cheer for my own country but at the same time I would wish the Americans well. That wasn't good enough. I was suppose to hate the Americans. The backlash I received at the very mention of any type of like for the USA was ridiculous. And I can't tell you how many times I've been called a traitor just for wearing a Stars' Modano jersey. "You f***in American! Go home you traitor!" Etc etc. I've heard it all. Disgusting. I had love for both, but because of my own people I've kinda swayed more to one side. Shouldn't be that way but it is. Call me what you wish.

I know there's idiots on both sides, but I just go by my own experiences.

You're story is similar to mine, except I have Americans calling me derogatory names since I'm a Canadian living in the USA. Because of that, I really don't mind when the USA looses so I don't have to deal with all the disgusting name calling.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll say before the lock that it's annoying that from now on USA is apparently going to have medaled because Subban choked, Spott should be flipping burgers not coaching, and Murphy was atrocious. That's the majority of what I've seen here and on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad