Post-Game Talk: PGT: Rangers @ Sabres 4/19/13

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
When an elite goalie is half-way to a shutout, you don't pull him. THAT'S disrespectful to your best player. We live and die with Hank, so when we are up by 6, we all of a sudden get cocky and say we don't need you anymore Hank? That's not how it works. Maybe when Kel Varnsen gets back from behind the bench in Buffalo he can explain to us why he put the 4th line on the ice. Great game.

Not to mention that's NOT how goaltending in the NHL works.

You don't pull a goalie because you're up by a lot to give him a rest for the last 20 minutes. You pull a goalie if he's giving up soft goals. Whether a shutout is going or not is irrelevant. If he needs a rest he can skip a practice or something

When we are up by 6 we don't need him...The only reason they don't pull him there is the typical coaching reasoning of something illogical that is basically "That's how it's always been" or "It's just not what you do." (this is the logic baseball managers love to use when questioned on why they have to save their closer to come in up by 3 in the 9th instead of say bringing them in in a key spot in the 7th with the bases loaded where you absolutely need outs. Or when they refuse to use them in extra innings on the road until they get a lead - because according to Jerry Manuel "That's just not what you do."

We were up 5 2 minutes into the 2nd period. He was not close to a shutout. It's not like it was late in the 3rd.

If your options are
1. Leave him in a blowout with 30-40 minutes left in the game so he might get a shutout but also risks the chance of injury for the most important player on the team in a game that is in the bag (Oh, and also on a day where he played the night before)

2. Take him out to make sure he stays healthy and gets some time off while risking a chance you "disrespect" the most important on the team who knows he is the top guy

2 is by far the better option. It's like by taking him out he's all of a sudden going to completely lose his confidence and be unable to play or lash out and demand to be traded. It's just the smarter decision in terms of the long term health and ability of the team.

If torts actually tried to take him out, Lundqvist would tell him there's not a chance in hell he's getting off the ice.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
I don't know what the hell I watched tonight, but I'm not going to complain considering we got two points that were desperately needed.

The best thing that could come from this game is a confident Richards. I'm not going to hold my breath, but that would be absolutely HUGE for this team if they make the playoffs.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I'll take it. We continue to suck our way to victories. A performance like that is not gonna cut it against Newark.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Biron won't see the ice unless we clinch AND there's nothing at stake in a given game (ie playoff positioning)

That is a BIG gamble IMO. What if Hank goes down with an injury? They should have given Marty at least every 5 or 6. game or something.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I feel sorry for Hank, this game really did a number on his amazing stats over the last 15 games (and season), but I'm thrilled for the team, Brad and the fans since we took a big step towards the playoff and eliminated Buffalo and the Flyers in the process of doing so.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Look, don't worry about individual awards because in the relative scheme of things, they don't mean ****! I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Hank doesn't give a flying **** about a Vezina when a playoff position and a potential shot at ****sburgh is staring us right in the face! Bring those bums on.

Is Sid and geno expected to be good to go for the Post season?

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He proved that he's way too far down the depth chart on our team. MDZ regressed a lot in these games... CAR, TOR, NYI, BUF. The physicality and defensive play of Moore has proven superior. Offensively, one is a great defensive offensive defenseman and the other is a great (though not executing) offensive defenseman.
If Del Zaster could manage to hit the side of a barn once in a while with his manure spreader of a shot and not commit to the most idiotic decision making on the team, he would indeed be a great offensive defenseman. Now, he's instead a toothless offensive defenseman who can't be trusted with or without the puck. He shouldn't be trusted playing big minutes when he's in his Del Zaster mode, his ice time should be limited.

NHRangerfan

It didn't work out for him once. It also was in a much more violent sport. The Rangers except for one season have stayed relatively injury free. Their worst injury this year was a complete fluke that you see maybe once a season. How often do players get injured on the PP? And with that, no one is even saying anything about injuries all I read is the laughable "the 4th line deserved it" and the infinitely more laughable "it would hurt Buffalo's feelings if he didn't do it!".

So I think you need to make up your mind, in an earlier post you bemoaned the fact that there is no respect in hockey and in a very ironic moment...you specifically mention the Kaleta hit on Richards...so if Torts decides to rub it in and Kaleta decides to hurt someone you would be moaning about him not respecting his players. Did you complain about the 4th line getting PP time at the end of the Pens game the night of the trade deadline?

NHRangerfan

Everyone is neglecting thew other 3 goals scored.

Goals 1, 2 and 3 were not the 4th line's fault. You could say that Hank's Vezina chances were hurt by those 3 goals too.

But those don't fit the anti-Torts narrative being pushed

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I didn't watch this game but I was following it on twitter. Seemed like every 2 minutes Gross and Zipay were tweeting Rangers goal, lol.

You really should give it a look. Some of the most fluky goals I've seen.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I also don't see this game as having killed off Henrik's shot at the Vezina. If he has great games 3 of the last 4 and Bob has a stinker, he could easily win.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I also don't see this game as having killed off Henrik's shot at the Vezina. If he has great games 3 of the last 4 and Bob has a stinker, he could easily win.

People said the same dumb crap last year down the stretch about Henrik having a bad game and blowing the Vezina. Obviously they were overreacting.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
His next game will be his 800th in the NHL.That is pretty proven.

I mean, fair enough. But he has added little to nothing in either end of the ice aside from decent to good ability to work the boards on the cycle for 40+ games now.

You can argue that he is a better defensive option, and that he makes better decisions in terms of when to dump the puck deep in the neutral zone. I wouldn't necessarily agree but the argument can be made, and that has to be why Torts has him on that line.

More than anything else I am just baffled that it isn't Newbury, Ferriero, even Segal/Mashinter playing 7min a night on the 4th line. In my opinion that is terrible prospect management.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave
If Del Zaster could manage to hit the side of a barn once in a while with his manure spreader of a shot and not commit to the most idiotic decision making on the team, he would indeed be a great offensive defenseman. Now, he's instead a toothless offensive defenseman who can't be trusted with or without the puck. He shouldn't be trusted playing big minutes when he's in his Del Zaster mode, his ice time should be limited.

This.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
no such thing as a garbage goal.. who gives a ****, if they were garbage goals.. its about time rangers got bounces, we never get those fluke goals and they are much needed now..

glad brad got some points, looks better after every game, but needs to be our true number 1c for us to damage... needs to keep this confidence going!!!

we got to finish strong!!

beaves
clowe
Brass/Nash

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I wonder if Ryan Miller called out some of his teammates in public again after the game, it would be just like him. Anybody but himself, ha ha ha.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
When we are up by 6 we don't need him...The only reason they don't pull him there is the typical coaching reasoning of something illogical that is basically "That's how it's always been" or "It's just not what you do." (this is the logic baseball managers love to use when questioned on why they have to save their closer to come in up by 3 in the 9th instead of say bringing them in in a key spot in the 7th with the bases loaded where you absolutely need outs. Or when they refuse to use them in extra innings on the road until they get a lead - because according to Jerry Manuel "That's just not what you do."

We were up 5 2 minutes into the 2nd period. He was not close to a shutout. It's not like it was late in the 3rd.

If your options are
1. Leave him in a blowout with 30-40 minutes left in the game so he might get a shutout but also risks the chance of injury for the most important player on the team in a game that is in the bag (Oh, and also on a day where he played the night before)

2. Take him out to make sure he stays healthy and gets some time off while risking a chance you "disrespect" the most important on the team who knows he is the top guy

2 is by far the better option. It's like by taking him out he's all of a sudden going to completely lose his confidence and be unable to play or lash out and demand to be traded. It's just the smarter decision in terms of the long term health and ability of the team.

I guess we should've pulled Hank up 5-0 in MTL. That game was over.

Seriously with this? One of the worst ideas I've seen on here.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
i missed the game and just watched the highlights. those were horrendous goals we scored. i dont have a problem with the first 3 because you know what? we never, ever, get that kind of luck so im happy we got some. but with a competent goalie in tonight i think we only score like 3 or 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad