Post-Game Talk: PGT: Rangers @ Sabres 4/19/13

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's because the team wins/loses despite Torts. Our defense has been all over the place this year. We have barely controlled the neutral zone. We are weak along the boards and with our forecheck. Less and less players are committing to the ridiculous "throw your body in front of the puck" sentiment.

He's getting less credit this year because he deserves less credit. The team starts slow and the team's play is clearly not an indication of the system he supports.

The theory that Torts was disrespecting Hank is quite narrow minded on its own. It was 8-3. No need to drive up the score even more. He's got to protect his players, running up the score could have potentially warranted Buffalo's enforcers to take runs at our players. If we had scored and someone took a run at Nash or Step and injured them for the rest of the season, this fan base would skewer Torts for not putting the 4th line out. With some people on this board, you just can't win.

But as for your "stop finding ways to criticize Torts" sentiment... the list is endless. His system is idiotic, in my opinion. He employs little-to-no logic when making decisions. He constantly meddles with lines, especially (it seems like) when they are beginning to work. And he's too stubborn for his own good.

He's a good guy. Perfect for a team of under achievers that need motivation. But we're past that stage now and he either can't or refuses to adapt to his current roster.

I hear ya man. I guess I'm a Torts apologist, but I still disagree with his line shuffling and in-game decisions at times. Our system is built for the playoffs, when games tighten up and physicality/defense becomes essential.

I just feel that some people on this board are just out to get Torts, and think that he can do no right. Even when we win convincingly, some of you guys still find ways to criticize him (like screwing Hank of the Vezina by putting the 4th line out and knowing they'd get a penalty and then BUF would score with 45 seconds left, really?).

You have to agree with me that Torts gets minimal credit when we win, and often gets the blame when we lose. Feel free to criticize him when we lose, but when we win, lay off

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I guess we should've pulled Hank up 5-0 in MTL. That game was over.

Seriously with this? One of the worst ideas I've seen on here.

Want to look up the percentages for how often teams come back from down 5 since the 04-05 lockout? You're basing your thoughts on a situation that almost never occurs because of a sample size of one game that we played.

Got it. http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20091013

Happened ten times ever (up to when this article was written). No team has ever come back from down 6. And I'm sure most of those 10 were in the 80s or some other much higher scoring era. So like I said - you're taking the worst possible scenario even though its an extremely rare one and using that to make your case.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=489622
The post by pitlang towards the end seems to provide 9 of the 10 times - I don't know his source and did not verify the accuracy.

We're trying to win games and make the playoffs here - not win individual awards and play for stats. Leaving him in in a game like that serves no purpose. Games already locked up so he can't contribute anymore to help us win. But he can potentially get hurt (also a rare situation but less so and much more damaging) which would essentially instantly end our entire season.

And how would taking him out be any different than other things that happen? We played our top guys less and 4th line more cause we were up a ton (obviously can't top out top guys "out" because of course the 4th like can't play the entire game) when teams get huge leads in football they take their qbs and top guys out. At some point it's not worth the risk when there is legitimately zero reward.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I mean, fair enough. But he has added little to nothing in either end of the ice aside from decent to good ability to work the boards on the cycle for 40+ games now.

You can argue that he is a better defensive option, and that he makes better decisions in terms of when to dump the puck deep in the neutral zone. I wouldn't necessarily agree but the argument can be made, and that has to be why Torts has him on that line.

More than anything else I am just baffled that it isn't Newbury, Ferriero, even Segal/Mashinter playing 7min a night on the 4th line. In my opinion that is terrible prospect management.

Personally, I think it's an issue of wanting to wean CK into the game rather than wanting to put Pyatt up a line. I don't think fourth line minutes in the NHL are good for him long term, but if his game was missing some snarl and confidence, which I think it was, maybe letting him phase himself into the NHL game isn't such a bad idea. It's only been two games so far. Play on the fourth until he's consistently hustling and throwing his weight around, then move up to the third to start some supplemental offense, from there to the second etc.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
NHL.com reads "Blowout victory for NYR eliminates Sabres" damn it feels good to blowout a team again.

I woke up this morning and instead of reading the news with my coffee, I just stared at the score.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Personally, I think it's an issue of wanting to wean CK into the game rather than wanting to put Pyatt up a line. I don't think fourth line minutes in the NHL are good for him long term, but if his game was missing some snarl and confidence, which I think it was, maybe letting him phase himself into the NHL game isn't such a bad idea. It's only been two games so far. Play on the fourth until he's consistently hustling and throwing his weight around, then move up to the third to start some supplemental offense, from there to the second etc.

Agree 100%

His confidence doesn't seem to be there. He also isn't skating and banging like he is capable.
Doesn't deserve torts yoyo treatment but hasn't exactly played very well either.

Miller has defensive miscues but he is aggressive and hustles. For a limited min guy he fits the bill better. Kreider disappoints .......

Last edited:

JeremyNYR

Feb 1, 2012
I went to the game tonight and what a great game! There were many Rangers fans in attendance and you could hear their chants around the arena throughout the night!

I came in here thinking I'd see a lot of positive comments about getting a very important win, but instead people are whining about hurting Hank's stats and Vezina voting, and how particular players sucked out there. It's sad how many people can never just let themselves enjoy a GAME and be happy to see their team WIN. Obsessing on stats and individual trophy voting just makes it impossible to ever be satisfied as a fan. How about just rooting for Wins?

BarbaraAlphanse

I hear ya man. I guess I'm a Torts apologist, but I still disagree with his line shuffling and in-game decisions at times. Our system is built for the playoffs, when games tighten up and physicality/defense becomes essential.

I just feel that some people on this board are just out to get Torts, and think that he can do no right. Even when we win convincingly, some of you guys still find ways to criticize him (like screwing Hank of the Vezina by putting the 4th line out and knowing they'd get a penalty and then BUF would score with 45 seconds left, really?).

You have to agree with me that Torts gets minimal credit when we win, and often gets the blame when we lose. Feel free to criticize him when we lose, but when we win, lay off

I'll give Torts credit when I think he deserves credit. I'll give Torts criticism when he deserves it too. That's how it should be. Some people hate him on here. I disagree with that. He seems like a genuinely good guy, but as a coach he's only effective when he can motivate his squad. This happened with him when he was in TB. Players grow sick of the constant call outs, the constant emphasis on only defense.

We did not win last night because of him. We came out flat footed... AGAIN. As a coach, that is on you. Players need to be focused and motivated to come right out of the gate. Isn't that his best characteristic? Motivating players? Why do they constantly come out in the 1st period looking like they've just woken up from a bender? We got some lucky bounces, the Sabres made some stupid mistakes, and we took a commanding lead as a result of those things. We did not play good team defense. We did not control the neutral zone. We worked the boards nicely but that's because after a certain point Buffalo gave up.

In addition, he's going to wear out our starting goalie. We keep winning, but how far are we gonna get if Henrik is fatigued as **** heading into the 1st round? This isn't a normal season with a normal Torts conditioning "hell month"... Henrik definitely did not condition himself to naturally last like this this season.

And last year, we tightened up way before the playoffs. This year, we're all loosy goosy. It's easy to say "we'll tighten up for the playoffs"... incorrect. Our play, even recently, has not given me any indication that the team will tighten up. The best we can hope for is that Staal comes back and helps limit Del Zotto's minutes (and boneheaded play making decisions), that Dorsett comes in and sparks this team whenever we need a boost (i.e every 1st period and if/when we hit our "paralysis mode" when we go down a goal or 2), that Torts wisens up and starts using appropriate line combinations, and that Henrik ascends to "God mode". This team isn't going to play Torts system in the playoffs very effectively.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Want to look up the percentages for how often teams come back from down 5 since the 04-05 lockout? You're basing your thoughts on a situation that almost never occurs because of a sample size of one game that we played.

Got it. http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20091013

Happened ten times ever (up to when this article was written). No team has ever come back from down 6. And I'm sure most of those 10 were in the 80s or some other much higher scoring era. So like I said - you're taking the worst possible scenario even though its an extremely rare one and using that to make your case.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=489622
The post by pitlang towards the end seems to provide 9 of the 10 times - I don't know his source and did not verify the accuracy.

We're trying to win games and make the playoffs here - not win individual awards and play for stats. Leaving him in in a game like that serves no purpose. Games already locked up so he can't contribute anymore to help us win. But he can potentially get hurt (also a rare situation but less so and much more damaging) which would essentially instantly end our entire season.

And how would taking him out be any different than other things that happen? We played our top guys less and 4th line more cause we were up a ton (obviously can't top out top guys "out" because of course the 4th like can't play the entire game) when teams get huge leads in football they take their qbs and top guys out. At some point it's not worth the risk when there is legitimately zero reward.

Yeah, when given the OPTION of putting in 4th line players in more when you're up a lot, the coach will do so. In football, players are frequently changed out.

You don't pull a goalie who's playing well in the middle of a period to stick in a cold backup. That's just Pejorative Slured.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Yeah, when given the OPTION of putting in 4th line players in more when you're up a lot, the coach will do so. In football, players are frequently changed out.

You don't pull a goalie who's playing well in the middle of a period to stick in a cold backup. That's just Pejorative Slured.

You're gonna have to put in that backup in sooner or later, and with the way things are now, it ain't happening.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, all of this stuff about lundqvists fatigue is ridiculous. The Rangers will have to make it to the SCF for him to have played more games this season, including playoffs, than he did last season, not including playoffs.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
By the way, all of this stuff about lundqvists fatigue is ridiculous. The Rangers will have to make it to the SCF for him to have played more games this season, including playoffs, than he did last season, not including playoffs.

but he did have more rest in between game last year. this year you have games every other day basically.

GFiP*

Since the Gaborik trade we have gone from dead last in goals to 17th.

Thank you Glen Sather! :handclap:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I went to the game tonight and what a great game! There were many Rangers fans in attendance and you could hear their chants around the arena throughout the night!

I came in here thinking I'd see a lot of positive comments about getting a very important win, but instead people are whining about hurting Hank's stats and Vezina voting, and how particular players sucked out there. It's sad how many people can never just let themselves enjoy a GAME and be happy to see their team WIN. Obsessing on stats and individual trophy voting just makes it impossible to ever be satisfied as a fan. How about just rooting for Wins?

How refreshing.

I'm sorry to say that sadly, that kind of thinking is in the minority on this board filled with coffee shop type malcontents.

Let's Go Rangers!

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The condensed schedule is also overblown. I think it worked out to an extra game every 2 months compared with a normal schedule.

The issue w/ this instance is 3 games in 4 days (with the 3rd game an early afternoon game).

If Lundqvist was torched for 4 goals in the 1st, Tortorella most certainly would of pulled him to rest him for the remaining games.

I could care less about the Vezina or stats.

*Bob Richards*

We scored 5 goals in two minutes and 58 seconds.

I'm still trying to comprehend that.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'm trying comprehend the fact that (YES, I KNOW we go over this....) Kreider had seemingly super low minutes.
I can MAYBE understand not wanting to play the 4th line more, but at least bump the kid up. They were killing them. Play him with Cally and Stepan if you're afraid he's gonna **** up defensively

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Gotta feel for the Sabres players, whose whole season went down the drain in less than 90 seconds.

their whole entire season went down in drain over 44 games.

Now if we're needing a point to clinch against the Devils next Saturday and the game is tied 0-0 with 90 seconds left and we got scored on twice then that's a whole season down the drain in 90 second.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I can MAYBE understand not wanting to play the 4th line more, but at least bump the kid up. They were killing them. Play him with Cally and Stepan if you're afraid he's gonna **** up defensively

That's my mentality, why even put him on the 4th/grind/etc line? Give him some TOI with players who don't get benched

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad