PGT - Pens 2, Rags 0 - The 'You'll Get Nothing and Like It' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ron Cook doesn't know anything about this sport. I know people say that a lot about Pittsburgh media, but in his case, his ignorance makes the rest of them into hockey MENSA.

Driving in my car today listening to him rant about how none of the coaches nominated for the Jack Adams had to deal with absences by important players like Dan did. He's oblivious to both Tampa and Detroit's situations, but feels confident enough to call the lack of Dan's nomination for the Jack Adams "completely ridiculous."

Wow that dude is an absolute moron. I'm not sure if I'm glad that I can't listen to him or sad for missing out on some laughs.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
The blocked shot part makes me laugh. Nisky, Martin, and Beau had three HUGE blocked shots last night. Sutter has had some HUGE blocked shots. But I love when people say Glass is the only one blocking. :biglaugh:

Even Gibbons had some late blocked shots in the 3rd period. When I saw them I got excited, not because I'm big on blocked shots, but because I knew it could be a saving grace to keep Gibbons in for Glass.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Even Gibbons had some late blocked shots in the 3rd period. When I saw them I got excited, not because I'm big on blocked shots, but because I knew it could be a saving grace to keep Gibbons in for Glass.

I got excited because I knew that was one less puck that MAF would see.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wow that dude is an absolute moron. I'm not sure if I'm glad that I can't listen to him or sad for missing out on some laughs.

It did get pretty funny when the other guy asked him to name a Tampa Bay Lightning player that didn't miss half the year or get traded to New York. Cook couldn't do it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It did get pretty funny when the other guy asked him to name a Tampa Bay Lightning player that didn't miss half the year or get traded to New York. Cook couldn't do it.

:laugh: I just don't understand how one thinks they are qualified to argue on something they know nothing about.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Cook is clueless about every sport though. The guy never questions anything. Everything a coach says and does is right, everything team PR says is gospel, and every person who disagrees with him is an idiot. He's a self proclaimed non fan of any sports team, and would never go to any sporting event if he wasn't reporting on it. He's a complete hack and is a bitter old man with a get off my lawn mentality.

True yinzer through and through.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
:laugh: I just don't understand how one thinks they are qualified to argue on something they know nothing about.

He typically says things like (in argument to people questioning the coach, etc.), "yeah well they get paid to do this stuff and know a lot more than you or I do, so I'll believe what they say."

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Rangers against the Flyers had similar forechecking. I think it really comes down to the schedule. I thought AV made a smart decision to get 3 healthy guys back in the line up for speed. They didn't utilize it at all. The slowest of the slow are Nash and Marty. They look like butt. Zuc looks like he flies down w/ speed and has nobody with him.

The schedule is definitely a contributor. Also poor individual efforts by key players. ESPECIALLY Marty. He's a huge Penguin killer. He looks like ass so far. I hope he stays quiet.

It's much easier to forecheck the Flyers garbage fire defense than it is to forecheck our defense that has only one weak player on it (Scuderi).

The schedule has played an effect and I'm sure the Rangers are tired but we are a much much better team than the Flyers, especially on our blueline. It's no accident they aren't sustaining the same pressure against us. It's because our blueline is fifty times better than Philly's.

Michael8771*

Luck has nothing to do with it. With some luck in game 1 the Pens wouldn't have hit 2 posts and we would be talking about a sweep.

Full credit to Shero for bringing in Martin and to Disco for letting it happen.
I was referring to the cross bar and post that the Rangers hit. And yes we were rather fortunate being that outshot and frankly that outplayed. To our credit we were opportunistic and maximized our chances, but other than that we were bottled up in the defensive zone far too often.

Maybe the Rangers had a bit to do with it?
No kidding, but why the night before did we control almost every single aspect of that game, conversely why were we constantly under pressure in our end last night? We played the same team both nights, yes? You can't let the opposition dictate the tempo and the play like that. Against a Boston or Chicago or LA we'd get pummeled with such play.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's much easier to forecheck the Flyers garbage fire defense than it is to forecheck our defense that has only one weak player on it (Scuderi).

The schedule has played an effect and I'm sure the Rangers are tired but we are a much much better team than the Flyers, especially on our blueline. It's no accident they aren't sustaining the same pressure against us. It's because our blueline is fifty times better than Philly's.

Seriously. We're flipping out (rightfully so) over our old and broken-down D-Man, but their old and broken-down D-Man, Kimmo Timonen, is still their #1, and singlehandedly grumblefarted Game 7 away to the Rags.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
He typically says things like (in argument to people questioning the coach, etc.), "yeah well they get paid to do this stuff and know a lot more than you or I do, so I'll believe what they say."

A defense of the best and brightest. It's a similar pattern I've noticed with new users of HF - same sort of verbiage.

Seriously. We're flipping out (rightfully so) over our old and broken-down D-Man, but their old and broken-down D-Man, Kimmo Timonen, is still their #1, and singlehandedly grumblefarted Game 7 away to the Rags.

What? :biglaugh: Kimo was still better than their other dmen with the exception of Streit and maybe MacDonald. I still laugh that Coburn is still coughing up pucks year after year. Flyers fans have hated that guy for almost a decade (although whenever trade discussion is brought up they demand the moon).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't like (Jacques Martin)/(Kevin Constantine)/(Jacques Lemaire) style prevent hockey, but until it stops working, the knives should probably be put back on the rack.

Teams with worse rosters than we've got have won it all this way.

Yes, they have. NJ and Montreal come to mind immediately/

And it literally is our only chance in my opinion. Bylsma's system is never going to get us there.

As for tomorrow, if I am Bylsma I am telling the refs before the game tomorrow that if they keep a 5-1 PP advantage toward the Rangers the next game, and ignore calls like Staal\s cross check (twice) to Crosby's head (there were at least a dozen more almost as bad, like a slash on Stepniak's stick in front of the net that broke it in two and was ignored) I am going to tell my team to dive like Greg Louganis the entire rest of the game. The refs called the first seven calls against the Pens the last two games. If call number two goes against the Pens tomorrow night without a call on the Rangers I am telling my players to dive the entire game.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Eh, if I'm Bylsma I say how surprised I am about the league being okay with what Staal did to Crosby.

At the end of the day if you're going to get these penalties you may as well earn them with full on interference.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, they have. NJ and Montreal come to mind immediately/

And it literally is our only chance in my opinion. Bylsma's system is never going to get us there.

As for tomorrow, if I am Bylsma I am telling the refs before the game tomorrow that if they keep a 5-1 PP advantage toward the Rangers the next game, and ignore calls like Staal\s cross check (twice) to Crosby's head (there were at least a dozen more almost as bad, like a slash on Stepniak's stick in front of the net that broke it in two and was ignored) I am going to tell my team to dive like Greg Louganis the entire rest of the game. The refs called the first seven calls against the Pens the last two games. If call number two goes against the Pens tomorrow night without a call on the Rangers I am telling my players to dive the entire game.

Yeah but I thought we were the PenRefs.

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
49492855.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Cook is clueless about every sport though. The guy never questions anything. Everything a coach says and does is right, everything team PR says is gospel, and every person who disagrees with him is an idiot. He's a self proclaimed non fan of any sports team, and would never go to any sporting event if he wasn't reporting on it. He's a complete hack and is a bitter old man with a get off my lawn mentality.

True yinzer through and through.

Listening to him talk about College Football is even worse than listening him talk about hockey. Whether it's the unionization stuff, conference changes or the various Penn State controversies, he's just terrible and so confident in his awfulness.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Do people really say that?

I think the best is how it's lauded as a special skill that warrants a roster spot all on its own. The only positive of Glass' shot blocking is that it doesn't matter if he gets injured, a better player will probably replace him anyway.

The Pittsburgher who acts like a huge hockey fan - goes out and drinks/partys during the game does. I hear it a lot at work w/ the person who is like 30-40 and now all into hockey.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
The Pittsburgher who acts like a huge hockey fan - goes out and drinks/partys during the game does. I hear it a lot at work w/ the person who is like 30-40 and now all into hockey.

The NBC commentators don't help much. Glass's blocking is one of those talking points they can turn to when they need to. It's like Adams going to Harvard or Vitale born with a defect. As much as I respect the vast amount of knowledge that Pierre McGuire possesses, he's probably the worst offender. Though I do appreciate how he has been pointing out Fleury's weaknesses lately.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

That's a little bit sad tbh. If you're going to get into something at least put some effort into it.

Future members of the Pittsburgh media, though.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
The NBC commentators don't help much. Glass's blocking is one of those talking points they can turn to when they need to. It's like Adams going to Harvard or Vitale born with a defect. As much as I respect the vast amount of knowledge that Pierre McGuire possesses, he's probably the worst offender. Though I do appreciate how he has been pointing out Fleury's weaknesses lately.

Yeah, the commentators love to do that because they think they're pointing an aspect of the game out to people who don't recognize it. "Hockey is score, fight, HIT EM! Oh, there's blocked shots as well - I was unaware of that. Very interesting. Thank you NBC."

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
The blocked shot part makes me laugh. Nisky, Martin, and Beau had three HUGE blocked shots last night. Sutter has had some HUGE blocked shots. But I love when people say Glass is the only one blocking. :biglaugh:

Bort had one too that was a good chance of going in. You can't have Glass and Adams in if you want to roll all 4 lines and expect to be a contender. Adams has been decent...ish so far so can't complain too much about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad