Movies: PGT: 2017 Academy Awards

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Well you should check out more of them then considering Titanic was bad (even when it came out) and The Hurt Locker wasn't anything special. Some excellent films on that list starting with the winner from 25 years ago. That's not to mention a lot of the nominees as well.
We'll have to agree to disagree about Titanic, because I thought it was fantastic.

I agree on The Hurt Locker. When I finished watching it, my first thought was that was a really, really good movie. My second thought was, "Was that really the best picture of the year?"

As for the others... I'm just not one of those people who watches movies because I'm "supposed to." I don't buy into hype. Either a movie appeals to me or it doesn't.

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
apparently there was another mess up at the awards. During the in memoriam they showed the name producer Janet Patterson but the picture was of Jan Chapman who is actually alive

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would think a screw-up like this could only help ratings for next year, right? It just builds intrigue for people who normally wouldn't watch, although something like this happening again would be unfathomable.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

So is your contention that every movie that centres around a Black character is by definition "Oscar bait?" You provided a definition that included motivation for making the movie, and you haven't shown that the motivation was purely for awards. It's a deeply personal film based on a play.

You're incredibly transparent. Have you seen the film or not?

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Of course it was, the voters get all caught up in the importance of their societal role as "artists" and they feel that they have push some message for the greater good. It happens over and over again. A few people that voted for 12 Years a Slave actually admitted that they didn't even see it...

In 1979 Kramer vs. Kramer wins the Oscar because it was about divorce. 40 years later no one gives a **** about it, people like Apocalypse Now.

Just because a movie is topical and of its time does not mean it isn't great or appreciated in its time. I can't fault voters for not recognizing which films would become timeless.

Very few people argued about Goodfellas losing to Dances With Wolves at the time. Very few people threw a fit about Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction or Shawshank. Heck, most people had not even seen Shawshank at the time. It did not do well in theaters and it could be argued was an 'Oscar bait' art film while Forrest Gump was the box office smash that people took to.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
apparently there was another mess up at the awards. During the in memoriam they showed the name producer Janet Patterson but the picture was of Jan Chapman who is actually alive

I think I remember hearing how they did something similar about 10 years ago as well.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Am I watching the right one? She keeps pumping Moonlight's tires. I don't get it.

I think it was her delivery and face that did it for me. Especially when talking about having the card. I thought she came off as a bad word.

And I thought this immediately upon seeing it, before we knew exactly what has happened.

Just one weirdo's opinion though.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I think it was her delivery and face that did it for me. Especially when talking about having the card. I thought she came off as a bad word.

And I thought this immediately upon seeing it, before we knew exactly what has happened.

Just one weirdo's opinion though.

No i agree with you. I think she doesn't seem genuine there but it was a weird emotional time for her. So who knows we could be reading it wrong

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
So your first response to what about the plot was oscar bait was that most of the cast was black, and then you had to copy and paste something to answer the question. You didn't actually see it, did you?

Lol, my argument has been consistent the whole way through. A bunch of films centered around African American characters got a ton of recognition a year after the Academy was accused of racism. It's not a coincidence.

Someone tried to infer that Chiron being black wasn't part of the plot so I literally google searched "Moonlight plot" and copied and pasted the first result it to prove my point, that's how easy it was. And then he argued that, "Well, technically that's not a plot." :laugh:

Now it's, well, YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE DID YOU? YOU'RE COPYING AND PASTING!!!

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
Lol, my argument has been consistent the whole way through. A bunch of films centered around African American characters got a ton of recognition a year after the Academy was accused of racism. It's not a coincidence.

Someone tried to infer that Chiron being black wasn't part of the plot so I literally google searched "Moonlight plot" and copied and pasted the first result it to prove my point, that's how easy it was. And then he argued that, "Well, technically that's not a plot." :laugh:

But Moonlight was also very well received by critics in general. Did they only like it because the Academy was accused of racism?

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

Someone asked you what about the plot felt "Oscar baity" and you replied:

The lead an almost everyone in the movie was black.

So every film with a lead character who is Black and/or a predominately Black cast is "Oscar baity" now?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'll chime in briefly with my opinion on the things that make Moonlight Oscar bait-y to me personally.

-In all of three acts, there's these very unnatural conversations between Chiron and the other character where Chiron or the other character is trying to be deep. It's not deep. The 'be your own man' speech in the first one is passable but the other ones aren't especially the 'ocean breeze' one in the second which I almost laughed at but they were being serious. The most natural scene is honestly with that fine ass actress that played Teresa and Chiron in the second act. For people who don't notice this, it comes across as genuinely deep, to me it's like a knock-off and a film forcing it.

-Chiron's mother being a druggie then realizing how she screwed up. It's a common plot device and part of the premise of the story so I won't attack it too much. Manchester By The Sea was my pick and it was all about grief but still, I'd say the forced hardship drama in Moonlight is a bit overdone.

Also yeah that Emma Stone moment with the envelope thing in the conference was a bit teenage drama-ish but I'll give her a pass for that, it's an unprecedented situation and we wouldn't all react in the same way and I'm sure a lot of us would be angry (and I don't say this as someone who's a big Emma Stone fan).

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is it me or are the movies nominated becoming less and less "mainstream"? Or maybe their isn't a "mainstream" anymore with the way films are delivered. I've only seen Hell or High Water currently. I can't remember a year when I hadn't seen at least 3 of the best picture noms. Although in my defense, I just had a baby girl a month ago, so maybe that plays a part in it.
Great defense. Know the feeling.

But, yes, I think the nominated movies this year were definitely less mainstream, which I bellieve is a great thing. On the whole, this year's collection of nominees seemed more personal, more intimate, and more down to earth, closer to art than commerce which has been rare in Hollywood for a long time. I hope the trend continues because I think it will lead to more interesting, more insightful and ultimately more entertaining English-language movies.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I think I answered this a few times already but after they got accused of racism, yea it was.

It? I asked if *every film with a Black main character or cast* is or not; this isn't a coherent answer to that question.

You have to do more than say "it has a Black main character" and "last year there were accusations of racism" to show that it's Oscar bait. Do you not think it deserved to win?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
It? I asked if *every film with a Black main character or cast* is or not; this isn't a coherent answer to that question.

You have to do more than say "it has a Black main character" and "last year there were accusations of racism" to show that it's Oscar bait. Do you not think it deserved to win?

Because you're desperately trying to put words in my mouth and move the goalposts. My argument was really simple. There was social outrage over the Oscars being too white. It's fairly obvious that the Academy reacted to that based on the nominations and the winners. You know, we can agree to disagree...

The idea that Moonlight, a movie about a gay black child/teen/adult living in poverty in the drug infested inner city isn't Oscar bait is hilarious to me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought Moonlight was easily the best of the nominees, so I'm glad it won, and I outright thought that La La Land was bad, but if I'm being honest, while I was watching Moonlight, I felt that there was a small hint of Oscar-bait feel to it, especially the first two acts. Granted, it was done exceptionally well, but it wasn't until the third act where it was apparent that my fears were unwarranted and it ended up being much more than that.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Because you're desperately trying to put words in my mouth and move the goalposts. My argument was really simple. There was social outrage over the Oscars being too white. It's fairly obvious that the Academy reacted to that based on the nominations and the winners. You know, we can agree to disagree...

The idea that Moonlight, a movie about a gay black child/teen/adult living in poverty in the drug infested inner city isn't Oscar bait is hilarious to me.

I didn't put words in your mouth, I asked you a direct question to clarify your earlier comments. Is this the first time you've had a conversation with someone? This sort of thing is pretty typical of communication, it's how we better understand each other's points.

You claim that your argument is simple, but there are parts of it you seem to be intentionally trying to obfuscate by ducking questions. You won't even say if you saw the film or not, so we can't tell if your opinion on its plot is based on reading some summary online or its a well-informed one based on, you know, actually seeing the film you're talking about. Will you answer whether or not you've seen the film? Will you say whether or not you think it deserved to win or only did because of what happened last year?

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I thought Moonlight was easily the best of the nominees, so I'm glad it won, and I outright thought that La La Land was bad, but if I'm being honest, while I was watching Moonlight, I felt that there was a small hint of Oscar-bait feel to it, especially the first two acts. Granted, it was done exceptionally well, but it wasn't until the third act where it was apparent that my fears were unwarranted and it ended up being much more than that.

It's difficult to make a film with this subject matter without those accusations. How could one tell a story about a gay Black man without people responding this way?

The more interesting thing to consider is why people aren't making these comments about La La Land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad