Movies: PGT: 2017 Academy Awards

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Of course it was, the voters get all caught up in the importance of their societal role as "artists" and they feel that they have push some message for the greater good. It happens over and over again. A few people that voted for 12 Years a Slave actually admitted that they didn't even see it...

In 1979 Kramer vs. Kramer wins the Oscar because it was about divorce. 40 years later no one gives a **** about it, people like Apocalypse Now.

Not saying politics don't play a role, but I thought Moonlight was very well done and felt very personal. Not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't even love it as much as others, but I get why people would vote for that one based on the film's quality.

Then again, you are not wrong about the 12 Years A Slave thing. It's why I don't particularly care about these shows anymore: even removing the politics of it all, the notion that these films are being voted on by people who might not have even seen some of the nominees kind of makes them worthless as a true gauge of greatness anyway.

Edit: Which is why I don't even get mad.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Is Moonlight a better film than La La Land? I think so.

Would Moonlight have won if not for the current political climate, and last year's Oscar backlash? Heck no it would not have won. A film like this just doesn't get Best Picture.

Also, Moonlight is not Oscar-bait. Borrows too much from European and Asian cinema, ^ never win

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hardly anyone outside of Hollywood agrees with them, it's comical, they're entertainers.

I disagree.

Let's face it, it was a bust year for movies and it's happening more and more often.

I disagree.

I did not think Moonlight was a good movie.

I disagree.

...but it wasn't a good movie.

I disagree again.

People have mentioned they don't like the term "Oscar bait", sorry it was complete Oscar bait.

And again.

People seem to think that film is about sending an "important" message, it's not, it's about making a great film.

Why can't you do both?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I disagree.

When I said no one outside of Hollywood agrees with them I'm not talking liberalism vs. conservatism, I'm talking about how they think they're so incredibly important to society. Like Meryl Streep saying if it wasn't for people like her, we'd be stuck watching football and mma and we'd be chewing rocks. Half the people that go on that stage go off about how important they are and how vital their craft is to society. Do you actually buy into that stuff?

You can certainly have a movie with a message, and if the movie is good it's good. But a strong message in a meh movies means it's still a meh movie.

They played up that scene in Moonlight where they go swimming like it was genius.

No one will give a **** about this movie in 20 years like many other Oscar winners, obviously just my opinion.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For the record, according to the Washington Post, Brian Cullinan, one of the Price-Waterhouse accountants, handed Warren Beatty the wrong card precipitating what was to follow.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Best Picture is never the best film of the year but since 2005 I'd rank it as (never seen the Artist)

Good films:
NCFOM
Slumdog Millionaire
The Departed
Moonlight
The Hurt Locker

alright but forgettable:
The King's Speech
12 years a Slave
Birdman
Spotlight

Not sure which sucked more:
Crash
Argo

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
For the record, according to the Washington Post, Brian Cullinan, one of the Price-Waterhouse accountants, handed Warren Beatty the wrong card precipitating what was to follow.

Did they really have to release his name publicly? Poor guy probably feels bad enough about it.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
So I didn't watch the Oscars. Never have, never will. But, when I heard about the Moonlight/LaLa Land thing, about the only image in my head was the Oscars scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Did they really have to release his name publicly? Poor guy probably feels bad enough about it.
Well, he did screw up in a major way twice. First, he handed out the wrong card to Beatty and, second, he failed to interrupt the proceedings immediately as per his company's own protocols. If he doesn't take the fall than his other colleague may have had her reputation unnecessarily compromised.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
What is it about the plot that felt oscar baity? I can see this argument for many nominees, even 12 Years a Slave to an extent, but not this one.

Seriously? That Oscarssowhite thing happened last year so a record number of African Americans won awards. It was no coincidence. Not surprisingly the Iranian director won too so you could hear about the travel ban.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Nice to Gosling still sporting a vintage Rolex.

LOL, the Rock.

I asked my phone for a list of Best Picture winners. It spit out a list of the last 25 winners. Of those 25, I've only actually seen THREE. Titanic (1997), American Beauty (1999) and The Hurt Locker (2009).

Well you should check out more of them then considering Titanic was bad (even when it came out) and The Hurt Locker wasn't anything special. Some excellent films on that list starting with the winner from 25 years ago. That's not to mention a lot of the nominees as well.

Hardly anyone outside of Hollywood agrees with them, it's comical, they're entertainers.

LOL

Seriously? That Oscarssowhite thing happened last year so a record number of African Americans won awards. It was no coincidence. Not surprisingly the Iranian director won too so you could hear about the travel ban.

Ummm, from what I understand Moonlight was excellent and should have won the award as it did. Anyway, don't forget about all the Jews who won or were nominated.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You still haven't answered BLASPHEMOUS'S question: "What is it about the plot that felt oscar baity?" Did you actually see either movie that you are criticizing?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
You still haven't answered BLASPHEMOUS'S question: "What is it about the plot that felt oscar baity?" Did you actually see either movie that you are criticizing?

The lead an almost everyone in the movie was black.
Oscar bait is a term used in the film community for movies that appear to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations for Academy Awards or "Oscars", as they are commonly known. ... It ultimately won that year's Best Picture

Last year the Academy got **** for being too white, lol. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or an enlightened celebrity to realize what happened. The amount of African Americans that were nominated and won this year was unprecedented.

And the stock response will imply that I have a problem with black people or that I'm a Nazi, lol. I think the last guy that replied to me inferred that so I'll mention this, speaking of Jews, Schindler's List is a great film and Moonlight is a steaming pile of **** in comparison.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

Or maybe it just so happens that more black people made Oscar worthy work in the last 12 months than ever before? Nah, surely can't be that, that would be too easy.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Or maybe it just so happens that more black people made Oscar worthy work in the last 12 months than ever before? Nah, surely can't be that, that would be too easy.

All you have to do is listen to the way these people talk about themselves and their "craft" to know it's all virtue signaling. The South Park episode about the smug from George Clooney's acceptance speech hit the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDbG9h-f7c

"He practically took credit for the Civil Rights Movement." :laugh:

If you think this was all coincidence I don't know what to tell you. I have a bridge to sell you, however.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And the stock response will imply that I have a problem with black people or that I'm a Nazi, lol. I think the last guy that replied to me inferred that so I'll mention this, speaking of Jews, Schindler's List is a great film and Moonlight is a steaming pile of **** in comparison.

:help:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The lead an almost everyone in the movie was black.

Last year the Academy got **** for being too white, lol. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or an enlightened celebrity to realize what happened. The amount of African Americans that were nominated and won this year was unprecedented.

Um........what was the plot? Not asking about skin color here, I am asking about the plot since you called it Oscar bait. Having a lot of people being black in a movie is not a plot. If you don't want to the answer the question, no problem.

Though now that you mention Schindler's List, **** War Horse. That movie was so oscar baity it was literally born on a fishing hook.

Last edited:

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Um........what was the plot? Not asking about skin color here, I am asking about the plot since you called it Oscar bait. Having a lot of people being black in a movie is not a plot. If you don't want to the answer the question, no problem.

Though now that you mention Schindler's List, **** War Horse. That movie was so oscar baity it was literally born on a fishing hook.

I see you're really trying hard to argue for the sake of arguing.

A look at three defining chapters in the life of Chiron, a young black man growing up in Miami. His epic journey to manhood is guided by the kindness, support and love of the community that helps raise him.

Suffice?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Suffice?

I am not arguing. :laugh: I am just curious.

Also, what you presented is actually a setting or setup rather than a plot.

If what you are saying is that it is oscar baity simply because of what happened last year, then I got a little piece of advice: oscar bait movies tend to be a lot more high profile than Moonlight. At $1.5m, you are not making a movie aiming for the top, s'all I'm saying.

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009

Suffice?

So your first response to what about the plot was oscar bait was that most of the cast was black, and then you had to copy and paste something to answer the question. You didn't actually see it, did you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad