OT: PGH Lounge - The Birds Here Are in Misery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
What type of car are you thinking about getting?

I have to grow up and get a crossover... need something to fit the car seat, stroller, diaper bag, kid, etc and I really have to give a crap about safety ratings.

Went and test drove a bunch on Saturday... Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue and going to go out this afternoon and finish out the test drives with the Hyundai Tucson and Mazda CX-5.

Right now we've eliminated the Rogue (wife didn't like a lot about it), RAV4 (rough ride and skimpy features and awful blind spots), and CR-V (salesman turned us off and wife did not like the sightlines).

Unless the Tucson or CX-5 blows us away we'll probably be getting the Forester tonight. If you would have asked me what car I thought I was going to get when I started my research the Subaru would have been waaaaaay down the list, but the test drive really sold me on it.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I have to grow up and get a crossover... need something to fit the car seat, stroller, diaper bag, kid, etc and I really have to give a crap about safety ratings.

Went and test drove a bunch on Saturday... Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue and going to go out this afternoon and finish out the test drives with the Hyundai Tucson and Mazda CX-5.

Right now we've eliminated the Rogue (wife didn't like a lot about it), RAV4 (rough ride and skimpy features and awful blind spots), and CR-V (salesman turned us off and wife did not like the sightlines).

Unless the Tucson or CX-5 blows us away we'll probably be getting the Forester tonight. If you would have asked me what car I thought I was going to get when I started my research the Subaru would have been waaaaaay down the list, but the test drive really sold me on it.

Interesting... that's not the one I would have guessed out of that list either, although I can't say I have looked at any of them closely enough with the intention of buying it so my guesses are not based on much.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Never ever EVER buy a Fiat, they are utter ****ing ****. If I ever see that salesman again I would flat out punch him in the face.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Never ever EVER buy a Fiat, they are utter ****ing ****. If I ever see that salesman again I would flat out punch him in the face.

I looked at a Fiat right before I bought my Dart. It was an interesting little car, but there was no way I was going to buy it. It just doesn't seem like a practical car.

Interesting... that's not the one I would have guessed out of that list either, although I can't say I have looked at any of them closely enough with the intention of buying it so my guesses are not based on much.

Yeah, I really surprised myself. I was almost dead certain I was going to be pushing for the CR-V. I will say that the interior and features of the Honda (at the price point we are looking at) are really, really good. I have it as a close 2nd to the Forester. When the wife drove it she didn't like that it seemed to drive bigger than it was.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
My grandparents have a 2016 CR-V. I've driven it a few times, it's a really nice car for the price.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Subarus are great as long as you either avoid the base model or don't care about interior design. All of their "entry level" cars, for lack of a better term, use a lot of cheap plastic that looks awful. With that said, I have an Impreza and my mom has an Outback and they're both very good cars.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
My grandparents have a 2016 CR-V. I've driven it a few times, it's a really nice car for the price.

Oh yeah, it's a really nice car and, as of now, it's squarely my #2. Just some little niggling things that bumped it down on the lost.

The windows on the Forested really wowed me. They are HUGE and let in tons of light and can see everything.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The Forester is a great car. We don't have one, but are thinking about it (same kid reasons as you) and both my mom and dad have one (divorced just both happened to recently purchase Foresters independently). We like the CX-5 a lot too.

Our only hesitation now is on size. I never thought I'd want a huge car, but with 1 2 year old and planning to have another one in the next year or so, even a crossover could get small.

We are now shifting our attention toward 3rd row available midsize SUV's like the CX-9. I wish Subaru had one available in that class, but they are a few years away still.

Good luck with the search.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Any motorbike fans here? been watching a **** ton of moto vlogs for the past week. Wanted a Kawasaki Ninja since i was 8, thought the name was cool and the green ones looked sick but any motorbike would do tbh.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Any motorbike fans here? been watching a **** ton of moto vlogs for the past week. Wanted a Kawasaki Ninja since i was 8, thought the name was cool and the green ones looked sick but any motorbike would do tbh.

Those bikes did look awesome.

Victoria and Vancouver has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen (more so Vancouver). I wouldn't trust the other drivers in these parts although in Victoria I don't think there is a speed limit above 50 until you get on the highways. So that's a little comforting.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Those bikes did look awesome.

Victoria and Vancouver has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen (more so Vancouver). I wouldn't trust the other drivers in these parts although in Victoria I don't think there is a speed limit above 50 until you get on the highways. So that's a little comforting.

You know of any moto vloggers that are from Victoria?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Thanks for everyone's reccomendations on the new car. We have a winner!!!

The Subaru Foresters!

It was super close between that and the CX-5. In the end the Subaru dealer really came in with a great price (even without having to play them against the Mazda dealer), we didn't have to haggle with our trade in, but everything else was really super close between the two cars.

It sucks not having the luxury feel the Mazda has, but the functionality of the Forester and overall bang for the buck won the day.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Update- the CX-5 is putting up a huge fight

Just don't use it for actual 4x4 effectiveness.

I would say look at an Explorer too but I think you're narrowing it down to that one. Before I bought my Jeep Rubicon just recently, I had a 2014 Volvo xc90, beautiful car and when my brother visited, my nephew's car seat fit in it perfectly and of course, the safety rating...it's a Volvo, it's a freaking tank.

Edit: Good pick on the Subaru, I low key hate Mazda's...they have a premium feel, but after a few years, that cheap plastic **** ages very poorly and their engine does not give you enough bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad