Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
After seeing him deke out a Coyotes player with the Yotes having a wide open net and choosing to pass to a Mikheyev instead of shooting, I believe those who are saying Pettersson is hurt are correct.

Pettersson shys away from shooting everytime he has a clear opportunity, which isn't like him.
Seems weird he can’t shoot but can take faceoffs. You’d think they would definitely have someone else taking them if he were injured. IMO he looks like he’s lost confidence which would also explain the lack of shooting.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Seems weird he can’t shoot but can take faceoffs. You’d think they would definitely have someone else taking them if he were injured. IMO he looks like he’s lost confidence which would also explain the lack of shooting.
I still think he has post concussion symptoms

There are degrees of symptoms and they are not all the same all the time, good days and less than good days.

Crosby sat out 68 games to get over symptoms and that was after missing 66 games in shorter periods, came back too soon. He was still scoring but not the same. Pettersson might need to take extended time off to get right.

And it might have influenced his signing, I know it affected a couple of big decisions I made that went backwards and the infuriating part is I was pretty sure I shouldn't have been making any decisions at all, but I did against "my plan" and they cost me well over $250K and eventually my business. But I thought I was okay. It took years to get over because I got 2 biggies within 2 years. Still probably affecting me now, but that's my excuse and I am sticking to it :laugh:

He will get better as long as he avoids hitting too much, I notice when he hits he is shaking his head a lot more.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't really care that Pettersson doesn't show the fight or effort every game of the regular season. I don't really expect that.

What's concerning is that there are too many games where Pettersson isn't showing any game break offensive talent or skill, whether at regular season or on the powerplay.

His offensive struggles since the trade deadline or so, in terms of production, are well known, but the real problem is that this lack of production is 100% consistent, in my mind, with how he has looked over that period.

With that all said, I recognize he has been playing with suboptimal players, but its not likes he's playing well on the PP when he's with our other best offensive players, or even looking very good in isolation on his own line at even strength.

See thats where I think the injury comes into play... and I know people like to say thats just an excuse... but sometimes is also a reality. I wish we sat him a bit. He needs those maintenance days so sit him... get him 100 for the playoffs.

Reactions: theguardianII

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Wait...he's hurt now? Still taking regular shifts, faceoffs, net front on the PP, blocking shots on the PK. What do you think it is? Maybe he has a hurt ego that he's the highest paid and our 4th most valuable this year?

Take off your 40 jersey and stop with all the excuses. Probably is nursing a little something as most are but obviously it's not that bad or he wouldn't be put in the above positions especially the PK and faceoffs

He'll be fine would not surprise me he goes full alien come playoffs. Hard part is that they haven't found that 3rd wheel with Hoglander and him that can provide puck protection wall play and have the ability to get to the inside but also have some good transitional skills. Podkolzin could the guy

See what happens with the Lindholm situation. Would be ideal if Pod could hold that spot down and we could run below. Requires our 2 russians to actually be able to score some goals

Mikhayev Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Podkolzin
Joshua Lindholm Garland
DiGuiseppe Blueger Lafferty

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If he's injured you sit his ass down, you dont risk further damaging your 2nd highest asset when the team already clinched a playoff spot.
I have no confidence in this team's medical staff, they've been inept for the last decade.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wait...he's hurt now? Still taking regular shifts, faceoffs, net front on the PP, blocking shots on the PK. What do you think it is? Maybe he has a hurt ego that he's the highest paid and our 4th most valuable this year?

Take off your 40 jersey and stop with all the excuses. Probably is nursing a little something as most are but obviously it's not that bad or he wouldn't be put in the above positions especially the PK and faceoffs

He'll be fine would not surprise me he goes full alien come playoffs. Hard part is that they haven't found that 3rd wheel with Hoglander and him that can provide puck protection wall play and have the ability to get to the inside but also have some good transitional skills. Podkolzin could the guy

See what happens with the Lindholm situation. Would be ideal if Pod could hold that spot down and we could run below. Requires our 2 russians to actually be able to score some goals

Mikhayev Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Podkolzin
Joshua Lindholm Garland
DiGuiseppe Blueger Lafferty
So whats your theory?

Why is he not playing to his usual elite standard?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Will be bought out by year 4 of his contract.

He will lead this team to absolutely nothing. No heart. Not built for playoff hockey. Heads never in the right place.

Terrible extension.

Maybe he has vertigo from all that music playing on his @bose headphones or maybe he is allergic to his new @vitaminwater beverage. Maybe he is allergic to his @ Bauer equipment.

Dude is a frail, skilled hockey player who rather post sponsorship posts on social media than play hockey.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So whats your theory?

Why is he not playing to his usual elite standard?
Its between the ears.

Probably started like last time with getting banged up then trying to play through something and then the confidence dwindled to go with teams playing more playoff style hockey which means he has to fight through more interference and puck battles and he just hasn't found his way through it yet. Might always be an issue for him given his slight stature but not to this degree i would hope/suspect

He's mercurial and the new contract has added pressure that he doesn't know how to deal with yet. Happened the last time too. People were quick to use the lack of training camp as an excuse but the reality is that it got into his head. Just because he's a few years older doesn't mean he's shaken all of his insecurities.

My 2C.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

He will lead this team to absolutely nothing. No heart. Not built for playoff hockey. Heads never in the right place.

Terrible extension.

Maybe he has vertigo from all that music playing on his @bose headphones or maybe he is allergic to his new @vitaminwater beverage. Maybe he is allergic to his @ Bauer equipment.

Dude is a frail, skilled hockey player who rather post sponsorship posts on social media than play hockey.
Don't you ever get exhausted regurgitating the same rhetoric over and over again?

We get it, you hate Petey.

Moving on...
I thought he was one of the better players against LA. If he could have scored on the break away we might have a different game. He's rounding into form. I'm sure he's been battling some sort of a nagging injury as he just refuses to use his lethal one timer this year.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Terrible extension.

Counterpoint.

He'll retire a Canuck sitting atop most, if not all the forward statistical categories. Might even see 40 in the rafters one day.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
All these boomers triggered by his 1 post on Instagram per month cracks me up. It would blow their minds if they followed the nba, almost every elite player is way more active on social media, including guys who’ve won rings.

Reactions: rypper

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Counterpoint.

He'll retire a Canuck sitting atop most, if not all the forward statistical categories. Might even see 40 in the rafters one day.
I will be highly surprised if his number isn't retired. Well maybe not, being that I may not be around that long. I will be into my 80's by then.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Somewhere between bobby9 and puckmunchkin is the correct take on Petey. He can do wrong and needs to step up and be better. He also isnt the worst thing ever
So, here’s my actual take on EP40. I like the player a lot. He has very high end skill, but he seems to always have some sort of issue plaguing him. Whether it’s motivation, sulking, injuries or something that requires a sports psychologist.

So, what is he actually? He definitely is NOT a superstar. I think because the Leafs have Matthews and Oilers have McDrai most Canadian franchises want desperately to have their own superstar. We have an inferiority complex. The Canucks management, fans and local TV/Radio guys have built him in to this superstar he really isn’t.

He very very rarely takes over games. He almost never wills us to victory himself and he leaves a lot of physical attributes to be desired. When the team has great chemistry and is clicking he can put up points, but when the team is in a rut, unlike McDrai and Matthew’s he simply cannot put the team on his back.

Nate, McDrai, Crosby, Matthew’s, Kuch etc are all in their own tier. People want EP40 to desperately belong to that tier of players but he simply doesn’t.

I don’t even know if he belongs in the tier below those players. The second tier has Rantanen, Matty T, Point etc.

I’d have him aligned with Aho, Rintz, Zib, Stutzle, Larkin, Robertson, McCann. 3rd tier stars.

He leaves to many things to be desired to often. Fans simply want him to belong to the top tier so we can say our franchise has a superstar.

He’s over paid by 2.6 M dollars next year.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Somewhere between bobby9 and puckmunchkin is the correct take on Petey. He can do wrong and needs to step up and be better. He also isnt the worst thing ever
I think we can find all of reality is between those 2. Someone should take all their posts and create an AI model that can answer all our questions about the Canucks

• Haha

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Counterpoint.

Yup, with all of the others that never won squat. Fitting for this franchise.

Reactions: B-rock

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So, here’s my actual take on EP40. I like the player a lot. He has very high end skill, but he seems to always have some sort of issue plaguing him. Whether it’s motivation, sulking, injuries or something that requires a sports psychologist.

So, what is he actually? He definitely is NOT a superstar. I think because the Leafs have Matthews and Oilers have McDrai most Canadian franchises want desperately to have their own superstar.

The Canucks management, fans and local TV/Radio guys have built him in to this superstar he really isn’t.

He very very rarely takes over games. He almost never wills us to victory himself and he leaves a lot of physical attributes to be desired. When the team has great chemistry and is clicking he can put up points, but when the team is in a rut, unlike McDrai and Matthew’s he simply cannot put the team on his back.

Nate, McDrai, Crosby, Matthew’s, Kuch etc are all in their own tier. People want EP40 to desperately belong to that tier of players but he simply doesn’t.

I don’t even know if he belongs in the tier below those players.

I’d have him aligned with Aho, Rintz, Zib, Stutzle, Larkin, Robertson.

He leaves to many things to be desired to often. Fans simply want him to belong to the top tier so we can say our franchise has a superstar but he just isn’t that player.

so then why say all that other BS that gets people triggered and elicits non truthful discussion?

basically your admitting to trolling one of our best players?

If your trying to be funny then that's one thing but clogging up discussion with lies and shots at players after the GDT and maybe PGT is over is not helping your rep as a poster?

by the way i agree with this take.....he's not in that top tier and i too worry about his fragility. Not just in stature but mentally. It's greatly concerning when you just signed up for 8yrs and the first move is to play like this. Want so much to be a massive fan as there is so much to like but the kid needs to become a man and fast. Demko and Miller need it. Hughes has done it......you're up #40.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

So, what is he actually? He definitely is NOT a superstar. I think because the Leafs have Matthews and Oilers have McDrai most Canadian franchises want desperately to have their own superstar.

The Canucks management, fans and local TV/Radio guys have built him in to this superstar he really isn’t.

He leaves to many things to be desired to often. Fans simply want him to belong to the top tier so we can say our franchise has a superstar but he just isn’t that player.

Agree with all of this except the price. I think the price is fair. With a rising cap that what it's going to cost to pay players in his realm.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

He’s our Mitch Marner.

Great player.

Puts up a ton of points.

But not the Superstar/Leader of the team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Petey is who the Sedins were at age 25.

If you hated the Sedins in the mid 2000s, then you probably hate Petey right now.

lol

Well the Sedins earned our love. They took longer than Petey to become star players and did receive a lot of abuse early on. But the rest is history. They were never really overpaid except maybe in their last year. After Gillis came on and questioned whether they were front-line players, they had Gillis flying over and begging them to re-sign. The Sedins signed with the perception that they did leave money on the table. They then put together MVA-calibre seasons and if circumstances worked out better would have helped lead us to our first Cup.

At the end of the day Petey signed to a contract worthy of a top 5 player in the league and it comes with corresponding expectations.

He’s our Mitch Marner.

Great player.

Puts up a ton of points.

But not the Superstar/Leader of the team.

I would give Petey more credit. Small sample size but Petey's one playoff performance wasn't underwhelming like Marner's has consistenty been. Gamebreakers need to come through when it matters most.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Petey was excellent last night. His usual strong defensive self but he shot the puck off the rush a couple times and also shot on the PP and it changed a ton for us. Also was an excellent screen on the goals and was physical. He's avoided shooting for a while but it was nice to see him let a few go yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad