Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't expect certain actors to agree here, no (despite all the information to the contrary).

If you've followed the discussion and thought that the team having to deleverage Pettersson's position (their franchise C) was standard fare, I'll have to disagree. Edit: To clarify further: The TDL (and the threat of trade) was the main pressure point that had Pettersson re-sign when he did.
Here is what I think happened:
- Pettersson decided last summer that he would not negotiate yet because him and everyone else on the planet earth didn't think the Canucks would be in the position they are now. Most of all he wanted to see if last seasons circus would continue.

- He stubbornly held on to this position until he was convinced otherwise by the teams success, where him giving them clarity on his contract situation enabled them to act during TDL with that information.

- Lindholm is not a replacement or leverage point. He is no longer a top line pivot. I trust our pro scouting enough to think they were not thinking he is.

I believe it is not common for a player to stick to a conviction like this. I think anything else you have conjured about pressure points is fine as a theory, but is no more likely than what I just presented.

I wont try to convince you of this because that is obviously not going to go well.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This management team has proven to be tight lipped with Dhaliwal discovering the Willander target 17 days ahead of the draft, that their 2 offer meetings with Pettersson get leaked (first one in November, Friedman), and that 4 days after Pettersson is signed, Lindholm (so integral to EP's signing) is on the trade market (Weekes)... A veritable vault.

Yes, I think this management has generally been tight lipped. That isn't to say there are no leaks, but the leaks usually seem to come from the agent side.

On that, your reasons for why Pettersson flipped his no-negotiation policy in February are that the team was competitive, Pettersson was on break, his comfort level and the Lindholm trade. All of these aspects would remain true until the offseason, so why not stick to his original timeline?

Pettersson's agent literally gave the reason for not waiting in the article I've already linked (i.e., they wanted to management to have certainty regarding their future cap structure in advance of the trade deadline).

Allvin says all teams call. This does not refute that one call (CAR) stood out over and above the others. Friedman isolates CAR specifically.

The Carolina rumour can be true. I haven't rejected that. What I have questioned is Freidman's rumour, or inference, that the Carolina rumour was the impetus to the Pettersson re-signing. Again, this rumour or inference doesn't line up with Alvin or Brison's direct evidence.

Rutherford also says "he didn’t know if the possibility of a trade ignited Pettersson’s willingness to sign a new deal." Meaning, it may or may not have...

The Rutherford reference doesn't mean much, if anything at all. We don't have the context of his answer, and it would seem that he was asked whether it ignited Pettersson, and that Rutherford simply said he didn't know because, ugh, obviously Rutherford doesn't know. Rutherford didn't speculate as to what caused Pettersson to sign.

Funnily enough, Rutherford points out the obvious point I've generally made to you several times in that Pettersson would have always known that he may be traded if he didn't re-sign (i.e., the specific Carolina rumour wouldn't have been something that was new or surprising to Pettersson, and therefore, being unlikely to affect his decision making process):

“Anybody that knows anything about the league would know that teams would be calling about a player with this pedigree,” he said.

And so, taken together with Friedman's report, who isolates the CAR rumour as the impetus to sign, both are considering it as a timely factor to Petterson's decision.

Taken together? The Rutherford comment is meaningless. It doesn't add anything at all. He literally said he didn't know, likely in response to a direct question asked.

You've basically just got a rumour from Friedman which may be nothing more than an inference by him based on the timing of the Pettersson signing and interest shown by the Carolina Hurricanes.

Not that Pettersson had already decided to re-sign and a potential trade was a disconnected factor to that decision, unlike Brisson.

You are welcome to disregard the direct evidence given by Alvin and Brisson.

None of the rumours, even Seravelli's breaking news, align with Brisson's timeline. Not in the timing of when they are released, nor in what they reference of when the decision was made. Seravelli in video specifically states that things picked up in the last 3-4 days, not a month ago in his Feb 28th hit.

You seem to think that the media are privy to all contract negotiations, including when the start and how heated they are. This is obviously false, and its also very obviously possible that the parties commenced negotiations around the allstar break, but that the media didnt't get wind of it until closer to the deadline when the rumours arose.

JP Barry interview is relevant because the agents couldn't get him to reengage. June to February, nothing. What changed in late February? They were approaching the deadline. What happens at the deadline? People get traded. When no TDL loomed, Pettersson didn't budge for almost 9 months.

It's not relevant because it happened before Pettersson decided to re-engage. This isn't rocket science.

And again, Pettersson and his agent absolutely would have known that if he didn't re-sign he was likely to be traded.

Ah, so direct evidence of Pettersson saying "I always wanted to sign here" is a normal thing for players to lie about (Rutherford lied too, I guess?),

Yes, I think this type of thing would be a pretty normal thing to lie about. But even then, perhaps he wasn't lying? Perhaps he always did want to sign here, but perhaps he also always wanted to sign with a competitive and competent team? Both can be true.

but Brisson moving the impetus to sign away from the CAR trade rumour is not a normal thing for an agent to lie about?

Correct, that would be a pretty weird thing to lie about. Why make up a convoluted story about when and why Pettersson's re-engaged, which story also seems to just make sense. He could have just not lied?

Certain direct evidence are lies, but other direct evidence are not lies... right.

This is obviously true. We all know people lie about certain things but not others. For you to suggest otherwise is frankly stupid.

I'll leave you with this:

Brisson spoke just an hour after his client put pen to paper on an eight-year, US$92.8 million deal, the richest in Canucks history. It wasn’t a firm target, but one that made sense if they were going to change course and negotiate a new deal before the end of the season, rather than wait till the end which had been Pettersson’s preferred course since last summer.

Why didn't this dollar amount make them change course in the offseason? Because it wasn't there then, and the TDL wasn't there either.
I don't think that was a quote from Brisson and looks to be conjecture from the author.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Don't know where this thread is going but I'm going to go out on a limb here (sarcasm) and say that our playoff success hinges on his ability to get his f'n legs moving. This guy is not lazy but there is no other player on the team that needs to understand Tocchet's extra 2-3 strides than him. The amount of non-skating moments I've seen from him is infuriating. It's not reasonable to see this kind of consistency from our top paid player. If he can't get his feet moving, we won't advance past round 1. Period.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nah
Garland back on the forcheck with Pettersson

this guy's last 5 assists have had some d-man dropped on him beneath the goal line and he makes a perfect pass

Suter-Miller-Boeser have the 3rd best underlying numbers as a line in the NHL
and 200 minutes is a fine sample size

Hogland, Pettersson, and Garland are racking a franking Xgoals% of just under 80% in 50 minutes
let that line cook.

Reactions: M2Beezy and andora

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Suter-Miller-Boeser have the 3rd best underlying numbers as a line in the NHL
and 200 minutes is a fine sample size

This line will likely be back together when Lindholm is healthy. Issue is currently they need Suter at centre or else the bottom six turns into a dog’s breakfast.

I agree with your lines, but if they try that now the bottom six will get caved.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Reminds me a little bit of Naslund who struggled to find the intensity early in his career while showing flashes of brilliance. It's easy to forget that Naslund wasn't a point per game guy until he was 27 years old. At age 24 he had 14g/20a in 76 games.

Clearly, EP has outperformed Naslund at a younger age. The similarity is more in that it took Naslund time before he understood how to bring that intensity every game. But when he finally figured it out, he was outstanding.

That said, 5g/7a in 20 games, coupled with what appears to be apathy, during the ramp up to the playoffs is hard to watch and very frustrating.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Remember a month ago how many people were saying "a young C with back to back 100 pt seasons"?

He likely won't reach 90 points this season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He is pretty clearly injured, and has been for a little while hence the "maintenance" days and missing practice.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He is pretty clearly injured, and has been for a little while hence the "maintenance" days and missing practice.
Maintenance days aside, he seems to have long stretches every year where he weirdly doesn't fight through contact and injuries are probably the explanation. Although it leaves open the question of whether he plays through discomfort as easily as most players, isn't into Toradol, etc.

Reactions: Hodgy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Clear as day.

There was one play against the Ducks where he was trying to stickhandle and lost control of the puck of the puck which was followed up with a weak stick check...He was shaking off his arm on his way back to the bench.

He can put up points but his dynamic wristers and ability to use his stick in tight quarters is no longer there. Really wonder if he has chronic wrist issues or something.

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Clear as day.

There was one play against the Ducks where he was trying to stickhandle and lost control of the puck of the puck which was followed up with a weak stick check...He was shaking off his arm on his way back to the bench.

He can put up points but his dynamic wristers and ability to use his stick in tight quarters is gone is no longer there. Really wonder if he has chronic wrist issues or something.

Yeah, when was the last time we saw him rip a wrister top shelf? That was his most dangerous weapon.

He's hitting much more this year and making less giveaways. Probably good in Tocchet's system but you do wonder if his focus should be taking more creative chances and being more offensive.

In the offseason the entire organization needs to work together to allow EP's talent to shine in a dump and chase system (i.e. EP gets stronger, Tocchet makes adjustments, Allvin gets EP a fast, talented winger, etc)

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Clear as day.

He can put up points but his dynamic wristers and ability to use his stick in tight quarters is no longer there. Really wonder if he has chronic wrist issues or something.
It would explain why he doesn't shoot anymore. I can't remember the last time he took a one-timer on the PP. It sucks that it appears he is always injured or playing injured. In his 6 seasons in the NHL it feels like there is only 1 season (last year) where he was not injured or suspected to be playing injured. Hopefully it doesn't affect his long term effectiveness, we JUST locked him in for 8 more years at a top 10 cap hit....

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I haven’t been able to watch as many games this year but when I do, he just seems…slower. Like he’s not playing with pace. I remember this being BB’s frustration when he first took over and Petey was struggling a bit. He said something along the lines of him needing to keep his feet moving. Seems like this has become an issue again. I wonder if he just gets in his own head when struggling and loses confidence?

And yeah, he does seem to be nursing something but I’m sure most star players are at this point in the season. That’s just part of the game.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This will be the story his entire career. He’s to frail. We will always have this ‘he must be injured’ topic going on with him

Reactions: B-rock and David71

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maintenance days aside, he seems to have long stretches every year where he weirdly doesn't fight through contact and injuries are probably the explanation. Although it leaves open the question of whether he plays through discomfort as easily as most players, isn't into Toradol, etc.

I think it comes with when you have something to really play for... I think we will learn more about him in the playoffs... as much as us fans may not like it, 82 games is a lot and easy to have some stretches where you don't fight through...

Reactions: bandwagonesque

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Remember a month ago how many people were saying "a young C with back to back 100 pt seasons"?

He likely won't reach 90 points this season.
Playing like shit this season and he’s still on pace for 90 points.

A lot of factors for him struggling this season but I’m not worried in the slightest about the future. People were crapping on Matthews last season the same way we’re crapping on Pettersson.

Reactions: andora

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think it comes with when you have something to really play for... I think we will learn more about him in the playoffs... as much as us fans may not like it, 82 games is a lot and easy to have some stretches where you don't fight through...
I don't really care that Pettersson doesn't show the fight or effort every game of the regular season. I don't really expect that.

What's concerning is that there are too many games where Pettersson isn't showing any game break offensive talent or skill, whether at regular season or on the powerplay.

His offensive struggles since the trade deadline or so, in terms of production, are well known, but the real problem is that this lack of production is 100% consistent, in my mind, with how he has looked over that period.

With that all said, I recognize he has been playing with suboptimal players, but its not likes he's playing well on the PP when he's with our other best offensive players, or even looking very good in isolation on his own line at even strength.

Reactions: B-rock

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He looks a lot like the guy in the first half of the 21/22 season that needed to see a sport psych to get his head on straight.

I would normally wonder if he's fighting an injury, but Tocc recently pointed at him as someone who needs to get their feet moving, which is something most coaches avoid when they know a player is hurt.

I swear they need to keep a highlight package on one of the bench iPads for him, he seems to forget what he's actually capable of.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
After seeing him deke out a Coyotes player with the Yotes having a wide open net and choosing to pass to a Mikheyev instead of shooting, I believe those who are saying Pettersson is hurt are correct.

Pettersson shys away from shooting everytime he has a clear opportunity, which isn't like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad