Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
You would think people in this market would be more apt to pick up on this type of play, y'know, with the Sedins having played here for a decade and a half. But then again, these were probably the same crowd that wanted to trade them for the flavour of the week.
I take issue with Boeser being mentioned with Petey and the Sedins when it comes to hockey sense. I don’t think he’s close to those guys. Maybe just in one facet which is getting himself open for a pass/deflection

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
4 ES points behind Miller during the best year of Miller's career. Better analytics than Miller too, and depending what you look at it's a huge gap.

Doing it all with a revolving door of middle sixers while being compared to guys who have Rantanen/Makar/Marner/Point stapled to them.

The fact that he can put up a 90 point season like this and yet everyone who watches him knows his ceiling is way higher than what he's showing and has come to expect way more out of him is proof enough of his worth.

He was getting Hart chatter in his sophomore year and you're comparing him to guys who have Rantanen/Marner/Point stapled to them. Put the lotto line together for a year and deploy Hughes every time they touch the ice and he'll get that Hart, if Hughes doesn't take it from him.

I said over and over again the last couple years that Hughes would never have left the Makar/Fox norris conversation if he'd had Tanev/Toews/Cernak as a partner instead of the waiver bait #6's he was stuck with and had to adapt to playing with.

Pettersson is more mercurial and more frequently injured than Hughes but is dealing with the same issue where the best winger on his line for most of the season was Mikheyev.

Agreed but it's also the Boeser issue of playstyle. Both play a high IQ game heavily reliant on reads, anticipation and smart passing. A lot of the good flies over people's heads when watching them whereas Miller's power forward style is impossible to ignore. And when a read or anticipation is slightly off it looks visually uglier than other types of errors.

It's something I've been noticing for awhile and it stems from how years ago I simply could not understand how on earth some people could have watched Pettersson's sophomore season and somehow concluded that Miller was better that year.

The Pettersson hater extraordinaire docbenton helped me figure it out when he posted about how Pettersson has "no discernable skills" while also admitting that he was puzzled by Pettersson's "midas touch" where everything he did inexplicably led to points despite the aforementioned lack of skills.

100%. Excellent post.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yea, even elite players go through ups and downs throughout the season and their careers, Petey's "struggles" is a little more frequent than I like but in the grand scheme of things its nothing special or unique. Only the generational players stays at a consistent level year in year out (although, even Ovi had a couple "down" seasons).

However, any players paid as a top 10 players will have elevated expectations, it just comes with the pay. I don't have too much gripes with EP's production this season as he is still out-producing his current contract, but starting next season, he will get less of a leash from me. You know he is capable of being a top 5 forwards, he has shown that he can put it together for extended stretches. He just have to avoid these extended cold streaks that he can get on once in awhile. Petey's linemates might not be ideal but he still have Hughes on the backend, and JTM/Boeser on the PP and occasional line mates, that is much more than what other guys (like Pasta and Panarin) has to work with. Heck, even Matthews had less (Domi and Bertuzzi) recently than what Petey got right now (Boeser and Hog). Petey was able to score 100+ with a rookie Kuzmenko and an injured Mikheyev last season, I'm sure he can produce at that level again with Hoglander and Boeser/Garland/whoever.
When they are on the ice 5on5 they have out scored the opposition 38 - 13. QH is the engine of this team.

Reactions: B-rock

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was getting Hart chatter in his sophomore year and you're comparing him to guys who have Rantanen/Marner/Point stapled to them. Put the lotto line together for a year and deploy Hughes every time they touch the ice and he'll get that Hart, if Hughes doesn't take it from him.

I said over and over again the last couple years that Hughes would never have left the Makar/Fox norris conversation if he'd had Tanev/Toews/Cernak as a partner instead of the waiver bait #6's he was stuck with and had to adapt to playing with.

Pettersson is more mercurial and more frequently injured than Hughes but is dealing with the same issue where the best winger on his line for most of the season was Mikheyev.

What about Pastrnak? Who has he been stapled to? Hart "chatter" is meaningless. Petey ultimately finished 16th (behind Markstrom).

Regardless, we don't have to worry about "chatter." We can think for ourselves. Do you think Petey is having a Hart-calibre season but for the fact that he is carrying his line? He isn't. You can argue that Miller has benefited from playing with better wingers all season all you want but I don't think many here would say that Petey has outplayed Miller but for Miller playing with better wingers. This isn't a case where game in and game out Petey was dominant and creating scoring opportunities that his linemates have simply failed to convert.

As for Hughes, I think apart from his sophomore season, he's been great. I also think there's been a noticeable bump in the way he is able to handle tough matchups this season and it's not just because of Hronek.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Okay, let's shut him down the rest of the season. So we can have first half EP back for playoffs.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I'm really hoping Pettersson is just playing conservative. The last few games against good teams he is getting shut down bad by opponents top line and no show on pps. He is playing like he is entitled to have the puck on his stick.

Last game against the oilers is especially concerning, how a McDavid'less oilers is able to dominate our top line.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
No change for playoffs so far. I really hope youre injured Petey and come out flying next year because, damn

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
No change for playoffs so far. I really hope youre injured Petey and come out flying next year because, damn

I've seen players more injured than him show more effort, especially for the playoffs. So whatever the injury could possibly be, I doubt it's going to be a good enough excuse.

He has no heart and effort right now.

Hughes transformed himself over the summer. Maybe Pettersson can take some advice from Captain on what he can work on over the summer to elevate to his next level.

Reactions: Kryten

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I've seen players more injured than him show more effort, especially for the playoffs. So whatever the injury could possibly be, I doubt it's going to be a good enough excuse.

He has no heart and effort right now.

Hughes transformed himself over the summer. Maybe Pettersson can take some advice from Captain on what he can work on over the summer to elevate to his next level.
He looks so slow compare to everyone else now

Weird

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Yeah... seriously, don't know what's wrong with him.
It really seems to be more mental than physical. If it was physical, he would have rested on game 82 for sure.

Someone mentioned, it's like he's been pressured to sign this contract to play for a city he wasn't even sure he wanted to stick around for.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah... seriously, don't know what's wrong with him.
It really seems to be more mental than physical. If it was physical, he would have rested on game 82 for sure.

Someone mentioned, it's like he's been pressured to sign this contract to play for a city he wasn't even sure he wanted to stick around for.
My guesses

He's injured but not bad enough to get the rest ahead of the 4 guys that shit in game 82, he has look extra slow for months now

He's trying his best to play a style that Tocchet wants but that's just not him so it's affecting him mentally

Reactions: sting101

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
tbh, effort-wise, urgency-wise, exerting himself-wise, he is exactly the same petey who brought us out of our seats in his rookie year and scored 100 pts last year. petey whether he is awesome or invisible always looks like he just going through the motions.

the difference is when he’s on, he can allen iverson you from a standstill and his wrist shot can beat goalies cold. and for whatever reason, he’s been a half-second behind most of the year, so instead of firing the puck and catching goalies by surprise, or making crazy passes to set guys up that no one else on the ice can see, he’s double clutching before shooting and holding the puck too long and doubling back instead of moving it or blowing by his man.

Reactions: Jay26

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It's all mental, not physical. You can tell by his body language.

He has no confidence right now. 2 on 0 or 2 on 1 I guarantee you he's passing the puck .

lawrence

May 19, 2012
from the start, I advocated for him to sign with us. No trade whatsoever. But this is quite concerning. I wish we waited until the off-season to sign him as we could have leveraged some of his struggles in the latter end of the season to drop down his price. quite unacceptable. So no, have to say it as it is. I love the guy, but our best players need to be our best players in order to win the cup.

NOW, NOW, thankfully we also have depth rather than a one-line team. We have Boeser, and JT miller, of course, Hughes, and the re emergence of Lindholm, and the new 3rd line, seems to be clicking!

LETS GO PETEY! we love ya but please pick it up! you're our most expensive player!

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
He has to be injured or something.
Injured mentally. I don't buy the physical injury excuse anymore. If he was he or the organization would have said something by now and he would have been held out for as long as was needed.

It's all mental, no doubt.

Reactions: AzNightmare

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
tbh, effort-wise, urgency-wise, exerting himself-wise, he is exactly the same petey who brought us out of our seats in his rookie year and scored 100 pts last year. petey whether he is awesome or invisible always looks like he just going through the motions.

the difference is when he’s on, he can allen iverson you from a standstill and his wrist shot can beat goalies cold. and for whatever reason, he’s been a half-second behind most of the year, so instead of firing the puck and catching goalies by surprise, or making crazy passes to set guys up that no one else on the ice can see, he’s double clutching before shooting and holding the puck too long and doubling back instead of moving it or blowing by his man.
I would disagree. He was quite a bit more dogged, hard-skating, and strong on the puck in his 100 point season, IMO (his rookie season, maybe). Still occasionally double-clutched and fell over, though.

His anticipation/reads in his own end also feels a little weaker than in his 100 point season, but still not terrible.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
It’s mental, no chance he plays the last few games if he’s nursing something. Either he felt pressured to sign here when he wasn’t sure, or him and miller clash and he doesn’t love coming to work everyday, or he has some mental health issues. Maybe he just doesn’t love hockey as much anymore and doesn’t really care that much idk. Or maybe this is just who he is, a talented player that just always leaves you wanting more.

Reactions: Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad