Proposal: Pettersson for Barzal

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
I don't think I would do this trade. I see this season as a good hard lesson for EP in terms of off season training. It should now be clearer to him to strive to improve all aspects of his game in the offseason.

So you're in the camp that Petey is a better player than Barzal basically. Hard call. I am not saying this year is "normal Petey" by any means, but I guess I see him as a bit of a flight risk (he doesn't feel like he has the same attachment to the franchise as a Sedin, Linden, or even Bure did, and that worries me. I'd rather have a player of equal talent from BC as a Canuck as you know he's going to be locked up here. But I can understand and respect your view!

Reactions: ChilliBilly

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
I was super high on Barzal in the 2015 draft, so this is tough for me to say no to.

I don't see the Isles doing it though, even if Petey's ceiling can be higher, they already have the proven commodity in Barzal and he hasn't had a year where his game fell off a cliff like Petey's.

Yeah, the time to do it may have been in the first 10-15 games, both players and teams were struggling.

Reactions: DS7

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
It's funny you use Hughes as a comparison, because this is the exact kind of thing that was leveled against Hughes last season and this past off-season (selfish, cashing in, will never be more than a powerplay quarterback, etc.) when actually he was a young developing player who had a rough patch and has grown from it. Pettersson is on a bridge for a reason. Trading him in the first year of it as a reactionary move.

My concern is flight risk more than anything given his comments about the team.

disettes

Jan 6, 2022
My concern is flight risk more than anything given his comments about the team.

That's fair, but I don't give those comments a lot of weight right now for a number of reasons: 1) They were originally in Swedish, and I'm not going to judge a player on the context/tone of translated comments that I couldn't read firsthand, especially ones that are as much of a universal sports cliche as "I want to play for a winning team." 2) Pettersson has given concrete indication in the past of wanting to stay in Vancouver i.e his public comments about Boeser resigning and wanting to keep playing with him -- he may not be connected to the city (yet) in the same way as the Sedins, but he clearly feels a deep bond with our young core and is close with Hoglander, Hughes, Boeser, etc, and I don't think it would be an easy choice for him to walk away from that and 3) we've cleared out house entirely of the management/coaching staff that prompted him to make those statements, and are winning now. Obviously it's a small sample size, but Pettersson is competitive and seems far more likely to walk for a contender than a paycheck. If we've f***ed it up a la the Oilers and aren't still sustaining success and contending by the end of his current deal, we should be flipping him for a rebuild anyway, so it almost doesn't matter.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Why would the isles do it? They're trying to win now and Barzal is back in form whereas Pettersson is slumping, so they're taking on the risk that Pettersson doesn't return to form during their peak competitive years.

When both are at their best Petey is better, but it's been awhile since we've seen that and it isn't clear why he's slumping right now.

Isles should be more interested in Miller at 50% than swapping out Barzal.

On our side, one less year of team control matters a lot because it's going to take a few years to right this ship, at least if the plan is to build a contender, and so the more team control the better the odds that the team is good and on the rise when it's time to sign an extension.

Reactions: Indiana

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Nah I'm good. Pettersson will return to form and we'll all look back at these kind of posts thinking, "what were we smoking trying to trade him?"

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It really sucks for players to slump in this town. If he's in a more neutral market, he would be allowed to ride it out without fanfare. All these trade EP proposals are highly unrealistic. The effort it takes to groom a player to be a 1C is immense. Unless they request to be traded you trust that the guy is just going through a rough extended patch. 95% of players that achieved as much as EP did in his first two seasons don't just turn into pumpkins unless some major surgery restricted their game. Imagine we have a football or NBA team and let a young guy find his game. He's trending better, albeit slower than we want.

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
No thanks.
Really don’t want to hear this fan base complain about losing a big trade like this for the rest of my life.

Already bad enough that some people still bring up Neely.

Barzal is one year older than Petey and has slightly better numbers and is bigger physically, and is a great player in his own right.

I appreciate you wouldn't want to trade Petey but this is no Neely/First for Pederson type idea!

Feb 19, 2018
With Rutherford keying in on team speed you can bet he’d entertain this offer. Playing in the East against Barzal with Pittsburgh you can bet he’d be the one to make the call, actually. Barzal is a B.C guy and the money alone in Jersey sales would make ownership a boat load. This is a no brainer in my books, you take the local kid. Barzal and Hughes in OT 3 on 3 would almost guarantee the extra point every time.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
You would have to sweeten the deal to get Matt out of NY, even with the pedigree that Petey has. Probably add another player, or a draft pick.

They're simply not going to go 1for1, trading their best player for a player who has been playing like a shell of his former self for a season and a half.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Trade doesnt make sense to me. At best it's a lateral move and at worst its us getting the player with the lower ceiling.

Doesnt make sense for the Islanders either. Theres a reason teams dont do one for one swaps of similar players.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Certainly would be interesting to see Barzal playing in a Boudreau system rather than Trotz. Then again, we haven't really seen Petey's potential under Boudreau either yet.

Reactions: Fatass

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It really sucks for players to slump in this town. If he's in a more neutral market, he would be allowed to ride it out without fanfare. All these trade EP proposals are highly unrealistic. The effort it takes to groom a player to be a 1C is immense. Unless they request to be traded you trust that the guy is just going through a rough extended patch. 95% of players that achieved as much as EP did in his first two seasons don't just turn into pumpkins unless some major surgery restricted their game. Imagine we have a football or NBA team and let a young guy find his game. He's trending better, albeit slower than we want.
This town also was largely content with Jim Benning for seven seasons. Took a Bill LaForge type of year to finally wake them up.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This town also was largely content with Jim Benning for seven seasons. Took a Bill LaForge type of year to finally wake them up.
largely content for the first 4 years maybe.... if the fans had to pool money to fly a banner around town for him to GTFOH, I wont use 'content' to describe them.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Certainly would be interesting to see Barzal playing in a Boudreau system rather than Trotz. Then again, we haven't really seen Petey's potential under Boudreau either yet.
Barzal would be very quickly a 100 point player. he's a right shot too, which we need. And he's got a better base than Petey. He's got that more hockey shorter and stockier build. I'd make this trade 100 times out of 100.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Trade doesnt make sense to me. At best it's a lateral move and at worst its us getting the player with the lower ceiling.

Doesnt make sense for the Islanders either. Theres a reason teams dont do one for one swaps of similar players.

Its Matt Barzal. His ceiling is 100+ points. Hes producing at 71p/82gp pace on a defensively structured team over his career. Petey has played in a run and gun offense under a rookie coach who would let him do anything out there.

Hes pacing for 70 points and the second and third leading scorers on the team is 21 year old Oliver Wahlstrom and 21 year old Noah Dobson.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Sure, I just like Barzal more and I think part of playing at home would bring out even more from him. That desire to win a cup in your home town means alot (assuming he wanted to as a kid!)

I'd do it, facing the salary bump a year earlier hurts but feel better about Barzal being willing to commit here long-term.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I would do this but I'd be nervous about the $10M qualifying offer due after next season. They would likely have to overpay to sign him long term. Otherwise he'll just accept the QO and get UFA status the next season. This is the same scenario with EP but a year deferred and, at least right now, I suspect it would be easier to sign EP to a long term reasonable deal.

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad