Proposal: Pettersson for Barzal

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
I had been thinking about this for a while, as at the start of the season both of these players were struggling. Petey is improving and Barzal has come back to normal but....It seems both players aren't living up to their 'expectations'.

While both players have been very solid, and there's no "need to trade" from either side, I would love to see Barzal in Vancouver over Petey. Not that I think Petey won't come back to his former self but something about me says he's a bit selfish, and doesn't have the intangibles we need to win a cup. Granted he's young, he does place alot of expectations on himself and is frustrated. This is not a hate Petey proposal, I like him and think he's a terrific player. I am just a bit concerned about that level of character needed to win (Ie I see it in Hughes but not him).

I was also bothered by his statement when he signed for 7 mil plus to hear he "wants to be somewhere he can win"....this was a me first comment. He's just been paid 7 mil, most on the team, its his job to LEAD the team to winning. I personally think he's got a bit of an ego. Again, nothing team killing but....

So anyways...

My proposal

Petey for Barzal - one for one

Barzal
273pts / 314 gp = 0.87 ppg
6'1 187 (not a big guy but heavier than Petey)
Contract 7 mil through 2023 (one more year)
From Coquitlam - If he grew up a Canucks fan, it DOES make a difference. It would mean something to him

Petterson
170 pts / 199 gp = 0.85 ppg = almost identical
6'2 180 so as we know a but skinnier and lighter (needs man strength)
Contract 7.3 through 2024 (so they have cost control on a 1c for an extra year)

It would probably come down to a "why" would the Isles do it, change for the sake of change doesn't make sense but they are also underperforming

Perhaps they feel a change is needed. This would be a good and fair hockey trade for both sides, the question really would be, would there be appetite from both sides.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You can load up your most recent save in franchise mode nhl 22 and make this a reality!

Neither team would do this. You don't trade these types of players for 'change of scenery'. Both teams will be expecting these players to get out of their funk at some point. This type of regression happens with young players all the time it's a part of developing.

I've seen this Barzal for Pettersson swap on hf so many times it's just a bologna fantasy world. Pages of 20 year old armchair GMs negotiating like it's real life. Sorry to be crass I just don't think something like this would ever happen.

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
You can load up your most recent save in franchise mode nhl 22 and make this a reality!

Neither team would do this. You don't trade these types of players for 'change of scenery'. Both teams will be expecting these players to get out of their funk at some point. This type of regression happens with young players all the time it's a part of developing.

I've seen this Barzal for Pettersson swap on hf so many times it's just a bologna fantasy world. Pages of 20 year old armchair GMs negotiating like it's real life. Sorry to be crass I just don't think something like this would ever happen.

Cool

Why are you so angry that you need to insult people? Hockey is a game right? And I even said they may not do it and the biggest issue is why.

But you seem to need to 'release' some 'frustrations' on a website. I am sorry if someone posting an idea on a hockey website makes you so infuriated you need to hurl insults.

Be well

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Winnipeg probably thought Laine was gonna be a legendary Jet too but yes it would take a situation where BOTH players are looking for a change of scenery.

For the record i would make this trade without a second thought. I'm really doubting Petey's durability when so drastically outmuscled and falling down so much. Not to mention the horrifying games he's played in the last 2 yrs. Pretty alarming stuff to watch at times

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Cool

Why are you so angry that you need to insult people? Hockey is a game right? And I even said they may not do it and the biggest issue is why.

But you seem to need to 'release' some 'frustrations' on a website. I am sorry if someone posting an idea on a hockey website makes you so infuriated you need to hurl insults.

Be well

I'm not as mad as you're portraying.

Don't think this trade would ever be considered by either side. You asked, I answered.

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
I'm not as mad as you're portraying.

Don't think this trade would ever be considered by either side. You asked, I answered.

Yes no insults here

1. " it's just a bologna fantasy world"

2. " Pages of 20 year old armchair GMs negotiating like it's real life"

FireBenning

Nov 28, 2021
Great username. Infact fantastic

But id hold onto Pettersson, going thru a rough part of his career but will be back and will be an elite winner

Sure, I just like Barzal more and I think part of playing at home would bring out even more from him. That desire to win a cup in your home town means alot (assuming he wanted to as a kid!)

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I had been thinking about this for a while, as at the start of the season both of these players were struggling. Petey is improving and Barzal has come back to normal but....It seems both players aren't living up to their 'expectations'.

While both players have been very solid, and there's no "need to trade" from either side, I would love to see Barzal in Vancouver over Petey. Not that I think Petey won't come back to his former self but something about me says he's a bit selfish, and doesn't have the intangibles we need to win a cup. Granted he's young, he does place alot of expectations on himself and is frustrated. This is not a hate Petey proposal, I like him and think he's a terrific player. I am just a bit concerned about that level of character needed to win (Ie I see it in Hughes but not him).

I was also bothered by his statement when he signed for 7 mil plus to hear he "wants to be somewhere he can win"....this was a me first comment. He's just been paid 7 mil, most on the team, its his job to LEAD the team to winning. I personally think he's got a bit of an ego. Again, nothing team killing but....

So anyways...

My proposal

Petey for Barzal - one for one

Barzal
273pts / 314 gp = 0.87 ppg
Contract 7 mil through 2023 (one more year)
From Coquitlam - If he grew up a Canucks fan, it DOES make a difference. It would mean something to him

Petterson
170 pts / 199 gp = 0.85 ppg = almost identical
6'2 180 so as we know a but skinnier and lighter (needs man strength)
Contract 7.3 through 2024 (so they have cost control on a 1c for an extra year)

It would probably come down to a "why" would the Isles do it, change for the sake of change doesn't make sense but they are also underperforming

Perhaps they feel a change is needed. This would be a good and fair hockey trade for both sides, the question really would be, would there be appetite from both sides.
Absolute no brainer for the canucks but islanders say no. Elias has a much lower floor and a perceived attitude problem. I wish!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They throw in Dobson?

1 for 1 I say no. I'll bet on a Petey going back to his old self. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer but I think Petey was better. I also dread Barzal's $10M qualifying offer, although re-signing him long term probably wouldn't be a problem.

disettes

Jan 6, 2022
Not that I think Petey won't come back to his former self but something about me says he's a bit selfish, and doesn't have the intangibles we need to win a cup. Granted he's young, he does place alot of expectations on himself and is frustrated. This is not a hate Petey proposal, I like him and think he's a terrific player. I am just a bit concerned about that level of character needed to win (Ie I see it in Hughes but not him).

It's funny you use Hughes as a comparison, because this is the exact kind of thing that was leveled against Hughes last season and this past off-season (selfish, cashing in, will never be more than a powerplay quarterback, etc.) when actually he was a young developing player who had a rough patch and has grown from it. Pettersson is on a bridge for a reason. Trading him in the first year of it as a reactionary move.

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Barzal

I highly doubt he is 6'1" though. He measured 5’11.25″ at the combine. He looks a bit taller than Beauvillier who measured 5’10.25″ at the combine and doesn't look any taller than Nick Leddy who is listed at 6'0".

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I was super high on Barzal in the 2015 draft, so this is tough for me to say no to.

I don't see the Isles doing it though, even if Petey's ceiling can be higher, they already have the proven commodity in Barzal and he hasn't had a year where his game fell off a cliff like Petey's.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think I would do this trade. I see this season as a good hard lesson for EP in terms of off season training. It should now be clearer to him to strive to improve all aspects of his game in the offseason.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think it makes enough sense for both teams to do it

Canucks need a RHD Petey is a left
Islander could use someone with more term on their contract at a similar cap hit
Barzal is older, but Petey plays a style of game that might be better under Trotz defense first system.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think NYI is a good team that is having a nightmare season due to their arena issues and COVID. I don't really see why they would make this trade. I would write off this season as a bizarre anomaly caused by the aforementioned issues with no real benefit to taking this risk.

It obviously makes far more sense for the Canucks, where Barzal hopefully is someone you are more likely to re-sign long-term and Pettersson might just need a change of scenery. I think it's tough to answer without being closer to the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad