Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Apparently from everything insiders have heard recently he wanted to sign short term, not sure
definitely positives about the short contract for the player depending on age and banking on cap going up. but VAN looks set to be good for a while and there's certainty in the long contract now too. Great for the nucks to lock him up if it works out that way!

That won't be good value, unfortunately. Even at $12 million per, his yearly cap hurts. Hell of a player, but paying him $13.5 million or more per year is a mistake.
i just think he'll ask for a bit of an overpayment in the first half of the contract to lock him up--otherwise he'd probably make more with a couple 4 and 4 contracts; if he's confident his production won't slip that second contract would be more I'd think.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That won't be good value, unfortunately. Even at $12 million per, his yearly cap hurts. Hell of a player, but paying him $13.5 million or more per year is a mistake.
Cap is skyrocketing, 8 years is a long long time, if he continues to play like a superstar, it’s gonna be good value.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wohoo, this makes me happy. Now we can get over the Pettersson isn't signing BS and move on. 8 years of Pettersson would be amazing. An elite centermen who is on pace for another 100+ point season and is among the best in NHL. 8 years would guarantee the best years of Pettersson's career and give Canucks fans a whole lot to cheer about. Fantastic news Canucks fans.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I would even pay him 12 for 4 years, if he decides to do what Mathews did with the leafs. 8 years for 12 would be very good value with the cap rising. A top scoring all situations centerman his age is impossible to replace. That will be an elite core4 for the next 3 years, then they will see what to do with Demko.

Reactions: supercanuck

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With the cap going up, if its 8 years, I would expect hes wanting 13mil per. In a couple of years 15mil cap hits could be the norm for 100 point players.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’ve been critical of him this year and don’t know if he deserves as much as he’s going to get but if you need to pay your stars a little more, you do it, because they’re not easily replaceable. I also think he’s the type to peak later in his career in the 28-30 range.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Watch him surprise everyone w a 10m/8yr so they can attract more players. That'd be great
Or imagine if Petey frequently checks Capfriendly & says to himself, "JT is making 8m, Quinn is making under 8m, I think Imma take 8m". Haha. 😂 He's likely gonna sign for fair market value, but one can dream.

• Haha
Reactions: rea

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah, I’ll never believe Saravelli when he explicitly said John Gibson will never play in Anaheim ever again.
Servalli had a rough summer

he said something else, I forget what though. Maybe a winnipeg player.
They werent hot takes, they were literal guarantee's and that said guarantee would happen in a few days

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It's going to be the same or a bit higher than Auston Matthews contract.

Expecting 13.25-13.75M for 8 years.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
He's not worth anything over 10.5 - 11, I think. But the Leafs and Nylander screwed the market.

You do realize the salary cap is poised to spike real soon, and we’re getting all of Pettersson’s prime at whatever price it does end up being, right? This is a player that scored 100 points last season and is on pace to do it again while being really good defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad