Petterson vs Marner

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
As an Oilers fan, Pettersson is a smart dynamic player... he'd be picked first overall in weaker drafts like 2011, 2012.

IMO he's a better Kotkaniemi.

Pettersson is currently better than Kotkaniemi, but he is also almost 2 years older than him (1 year and 9 months).

Mar 26, 2010
We were talking about Marner. I'll educate you a bit here on your favorite team, his career high is also 69 points...
I realize that. You wouldn’t say.

But I see right through your posts.

Carry on.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'd say the top 10 players in each position have a good case, and Marner was ranked the 8th best right winger recently
So he's a bigger star than Seguin/Tavares/Kuznetsov/Backstrom/ Barzal? Do you want me to keep going on how ridiculous this top 10 in each position logic is?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd say the top 10 players in each position have a good case, and Marner was ranked the 8th best right winger recently
Most of the star forwards play center. It’s ridiculous to say the top 10 right wingers and top 10 left wingers are in the same class as the top 10 centers. Just look at the Canadian Olympic team. It’s mostly centers playing on the wings.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I totally understand the Pettersson hype as he looks like the real deal. However, Nylander is a much better comparable than Marner at the moment and the vast majority of Leaf fans have had Marner > Nylander for their careers.

*Edited out year comparison as I misread what his draft+1 year was.*

In Nylanders draft+1 year he put up ppg on a terrible team before coming over and putting up ~0.9ppg in the AHL (which is seen as a tougher league than the SHL). At the least that is somewhat comparable to Pettersson's draft+1 year. So if they are similar level prospects (even if you want to give Pettersson the edge which I understand), why does Nylander's proven NHL success not put him ahead (or at least pull him even for those posters that think he's somehow behind).

Tell me what makes Pettersson currently more valuable than Nylander, then we can talk about Marner.

At this point Pettersson is very similar to Nylander when he was a prospect/rookie. Not proven like Nylander is now, but his trajectory is pretty similar so far.

Edit: I would also like to add that Hischier demolished Pettersson in a head to head poll so why is Marner vs Pettersson so close?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
itt/in every leaf thread

10 leaf fans arguing with 1-2 people

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Edit: I would also like to add that Hischier demolished Pettersson in a head to head poll so why is Marner vs Pettersson so close?
Because Marner plays for the Maple Leafs so that means their players need to lose virtually every poll on here when they are included. Since Hischier plays for the Devils and a previous 1st overall pick in the same draft as Petterson he is obviously a better player than him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I totally understand the Pettersson hype as he looks like the real deal. However, Nylander is a much better comparable than Marner at the moment and the vast majority of Leaf fans have had Marner > Nylander for their careers.

Nylander put up ppg on a terrible SHL team in his 19yo season before coming to the AHL while Pettersson was still in the 2nd tier Allsvenskan.

Nylander had one of the top ppg rates in the AHL in the same year that Pettersson led the SHL league and it is widely considered that the AHL is a tougher league to win in.

In their pre-NHL careers, Nylander has a better career. As I said before, Nylander was fantastic in the SHL when Pettersson was still in the 2nd tier and then Nylander quickly adjusted to NA ice to produce a similar ppg in the AHL during Petersson's breakout SHL year.

So at a minimum you have to admit that the two have similar pre-NHL careers. So why do we discredit the fact that Nylander is more proven after back-to-back 61pt NHL seasons? Or that Nylander is seen as less valuable than Marner? Most of these posters just jump straight to Pettersson is better than Marner.

Tell me what makes Pettersson currently more valuable than Nylander, then we can talk about Marner.

At this point Pettersson is very similar to Nylander when he was a prospect/rookie. Not proven like Nylander is now, but his trajectory is pretty similar so far.

Nope. Not even close. Here’s what Pettersson did in his post draft year. An historic season. Blows Nylander’s draft plus one year completely out of the water. Pettersson is better compared to Marner but I think he’ll do better in his first two years. Here you go:
  • Most regular season points by a U20 player in SHL history
  • Led SHL in regular season scoring
  • Most playoff points by a U20 player in SHL history (single season)
  • Led SHL in playoff scoring
  • Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)
  • SHL Top Forward
  • SHL Rookie of the Year
  • SHL MVP
  • SHL Champion
  • U20 WJHC Silver Medal

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Because Marner plays for the Maple Leafs so that means their players need to lose virtually every poll on here when they are included. Since Hischier plays for the Devils and a previous 1st overall pick in the same draft as Petterson he is obviously a better player than him.
Instead of constantly playing the victim, why don’t you scroll down to the Pettersson vs Hischier poll a few threads down where the poll is virtually tied.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Instead of constantly playing the victim, why don’t you scroll down to the Pettersson vs Hischier poll a few threads down where the poll is virtually tied.
Personally after seeing that I think having a Hischier vs Petterson poll is a lot better than a Marner vs Petterson poll. I mean at least they were in the same draft class. Plus like I said before it's a joke that Marner needs to be compared to someone who just played 1 NHL game. Tell me if Petterson never scores a goal last night does this question with Marner even get asked?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
People laugh at Leaf fans for saying Matthews is as good as x even if he hasn't produced like them yet, and then in this poll people are comparing a guy with ONE game to Marner.

It's not like Pettersson is a nobody lmao. NHL success is only inevitable for top prospects like Pettersson.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Nope. Not even close. Here’s what Pettersson did in his post draft year. An historic season. Blows Nylander’s draft plus one year completely out of the water. Pettersson is better compared to Marner but I think he’ll do better in his first two years. Here you go:
  • Most regular season points by a U20 player in SHL history
  • Led SHL in regular season scoring
  • Most playoff points by a U20 player in SHL history (single season)
  • Led SHL in playoff scoring
  • Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)
  • SHL Top Forward
  • SHL Rookie of the Year
  • SHL MVP
  • SHL Champion
  • U20 WJHC Silver Medal

Misread draft year so I edited out the year by year comparisons. However, these same stats have been posted like 5 times (by you?) so you should consider finding some other rebuttal if you want to keep a healthy debate going.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Personally after seeing that I think having a Hischier vs Petterson poll is a lot better than a Marner vs Petterson poll. I mean at least they were in the same draft class. Plus like I said before it's a joke that Marner needs to be compared to someone who just played 1 NHL game. Tell me if Petterson never scores a goal last night does this question with Marner even get asked?
Of course it gets asked. It’s not unreasonable to think he could get 61 points and 69 points in his first two NHL seasons and score more than 22 goals. It might not happen but I’m pretty confident it will. You just need to have looked at his draft plus one year to see this kid is special. I’ve posted his accomplishments several times in this thread already but the usual response is ‘oh that doesn’t count.’ Of course people are going to consider what he did last year playing against men. Leaf fans certainly raised it with Nylander and Pettersson blew Nylanders draft plus one year out of the water.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's not like Pettersson is a nobody lmao. NHL success is only inevitable for top prospects like Pettersson.

Yakupov, G reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, H. Fleury, etc. read this post with all the renewed hope in the world to put their careers back on track anf become the elite NHL players they are destined to be.

Being drafted top 5 or top 10 does not mean you are destined to become an elite player or even a serviceable NHLer.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Misread draft year so I edited out the year by year comparisons. However, these same stats have been posted like 5 times (by you?) so you should consider finding some other rebuttal if you want to keep a healthy debate going.
They are not stats. They are accomplishments. And they’ve been ignored by every single Leaf fan. I’ll keep posting them. They are historic. Most points by a rookie in SHL history for one. Dismiss or ignore them if you want. He’s on another level when compared to Nylander.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yakupov, G reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, H. Fleury, etc. read this post with all the renewed hope in the world to put their careers back on track anf become the elite NHL players they are destined to be.

Being drafted top 5 or top 10 does not mean you are destined to become an elite player or even a serviceable NHLer.

Those players All became borderline busts by their 20th birthday and showed no improvement. Pettersson is a SHL mvp at the age of 19. his allsvenskan production also has never been done before. Your comparisons are absolutely trash.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Again. It’s not about his draft position. It’s about his draft plus one year. I don’t know why some people keep ignoring this. All those players you listed had fallen down the prospect rankings after their draft plus one year. Pettersson shot up.
You’re acting like he was just drafted and ignoring what happened last year.
Is there a guarantee he’ll be a star? No. But I think the odds are pretty high he will be.
If you disagree. Fine.

Reactions: Macbanan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad