Petry`s future

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Right handed defenseman entering his prime with strong two-way play, skating, passing, shooting, size, physicality, poise, endurance...

Like seriously just sign this mofo.

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004
Defense next year (Is it realistic?)
5x5m for Petry
2x2.5m for Beaulieu

Markov (5.75m) - Subban (9m)
Beaulieu (~2.5m) - Petry (~5m)
Emelin (4.1m) - Pateryn (0.575m)
Extras : Gilbert (2.8m), Tinordi (~1M)

Total : 31.15 millions

This would be a solid D group going forward..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Defense next year (Is it realistic?)
5x5m for Petry
2x2.5m for Beaulieu

Markov (5.75m) - Subban (9m)
Beaulieu (~2.5m) - Petry (~5m)
Emelin (4.1m) - Pateryn (0.575m)
Extras : Gilbert (2.8m), Tinordi (~1M)

Total : 31.15 millions

This would be a solid D group going forward..

I don't see Beaulieu getting anything close to 2.5M unless it's on a longer type of deal and I would think that neither side would really want to do that. I also don't see Tinordi getting 1M

The Habs are at 58M plus right now so if the cap ends up at 71 that leaves us with 12M in cap space so if they want to re-sign Petry and hopefully improve the offense, then someone will have to go among PAP, Gilbert, Emelin, etc.... if not 2 bodies depending on how they think they can improve the offense.

Losing Petry would really hurt as we just don't have anyone to take over his ice time. We got lucky that Gonchar could fill in but I don't see that happening again. Pateryn I could see playing better but no where close to Petry's level. Gilbert would likely have to step into his role and that sounds really bad to have him as our #3 D. as he's better off as a #5 or 6 imo. But it takes two to tango so if he wants to sign somewhere else there isn't much we can do about it.

HabsDieHard*

If it takes 6 years and 6 per year for Petry, then sign the deal.

You simply cannot place a max number or years on a guy with as great of an impact as him.

Trade Gilbert for a 3rd round pick at the draft.

Sign Beaulieu to a bridge deal making around 1.5.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn
Tinordi

Move out Desharnais, and bring in a bit of depth on the wings.

And the team is looking real good next year.

PricePkPatch*

He is going to cost a lot

Too many teams are looking for a Bona-fide top4 -_-

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Right handed defenseman entering his prime with strong two-way play, skating, passing, shooting, size, physicality, poise, endurance...

Like seriously just sign this mofo.

There ya go.

What more needs to be said?

The only negative for us is that Petry might be playing too good thus raising his $$$ value.

HabsDieHard*

He is going to cost a lot

Too many teams are looking for a Bona-fide top4 -_-

Habs have no cap issues of any kind, and a window to be a true contender.

He is a must sign. By the time a big cap crunch comes, likely Markovs' deal is off the books...and even then, the season after when Price needs a new deal he is already at 6.5 so that won't crush anything.

Same for Pacioretty in 4 years' time, his difference in salary between now and then will be probably significantly less than how much the cap will go up in coming year.s

PricePkPatch*

Habs have no cap issues of any kind, and a window to be a true contender.

He is a must sign. By the time a big cap crunch comes, likely Markovs' deal is off the books...and even then, the season after when Price needs a new deal he is already at 6.5 so that won't crush anything.

Same for Pacioretty in 4 years' time, his difference in salary between now and then will be probably significantly less than how much the cap will go up in coming year.s

While this is fair (thank you Ana for taking on Bourque!!) I think it will depend on Chuckie.

Big question: how much Gakchenyuk signs for?

HabsDieHard*

While this is fair (thank you Ana for taking on Bourque!!) I think it will depend on Chuckie.

Big question: how much Gakchenyuk signs for?

He won't break the bank this offseason.

So they'll either sign him to a 2-3 year deal in the 3-3.5 range, or get him a bit longer at a higher rate in the hopes he's a discount by the end.

He is also an RFA though, so they can deal with Petry beforehand and figure it out after.

Quite frankly, if they move out Desharnais and Gilbert, they hae more than enough room to lock them both up AND have a bit of room to bring in some depth too.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
At this level in the sport, you either go forward or backward. If the end goal for this team truly is winning the cup during our core's prime years, we don't have much of a choice to resign Petry.

I had no faith in our defense squad beyond the first pair before he got here, but having a guy like him on the 2nd pair really stabilizes the whole squad, akin to what Hamrlik used to do for this team.

I throw 5.5M to Petry for 4 to 6 years in the blink of an eye. 6M if we have to. I've been saying for so long that this teams desperately needs another bonafide top 3 dman and we have one now. We can't just let him go and expect someone else to take his place.

If our goal, as a franchise, is to win #25, you need a guy like Petry. None of Beaulieu, Emelin or Gilbert can fill that void in the short term, and Markov won't last forever. MB, do what you gotta do.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
he's Markov's replacement

Prime Markov probably was a little better but still, gotta resign him

That's ridiculous, prime Markov was MILES better. Even current Markov is better than Petry.

I would go up to 5M but not sure I would pay more though. I understand why some of you wants to throw 6M at him but you can't pay your #3 D-man that amount.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This guy is a rock. Easily was our best defenseman this series. What surprises me the most about his game is his poise and his hockey sense. He's incredibly smart both with and without the puck. His gap control is fantastic and is usually in good position. He can make a crisp and accurate first pass. He's also a tremendous skater, especially for a guy of his size.

MB shouldn't hesitate to get him signed for 6 years. He's only 28 and will likely be in his prime until 35ish. $5m for 6 years (say $6m, $6m, $5m, $4m, $4m) or similar would be fantastic. I wouldn't complain if it's $5.5 or even $6m though.

HabsDieHard*

That's ridiculous, prime Markov was MILES better.

I would go up to 5M but not sure I would pay more though.

Then quite simply you have not been following NHL salaries for d-men in recent years.

This guy is a rock. Easily was our best defenseman this series. What surprises me the most about his game is his poise and his hockey sense. He's incredibly smart both with and without the puck. His gap control is fantastic and is usually in good position. He can make a crisp and accurate first pass. He's also a tremendous skater, especially for a guy of his size.

MB shouldn't hesitate to get him signed for 6 years. He's only 28 and will likely be in his prime until 35ish. $5m for 6 years (say $6m, $6m, $5m, $4m, $4m) or similar would be fantastic. I wouldn't complain if it's $5.5 or even $6m though.

I think 6 million for 5 years makes the most sense for both sides.

but if Petry wants more years, give it to him.

This team can't spend all Summer and next year trying to once again fill in that right side hole on the 2nd pairing.

They have the guy for the job, now it's up to Bergevin to lock him up.

At this level in the sport, you either go forward or backward. If the end goal for this team truly is winning the cup during our core's prime years, we don't have much of a choice to resign Petry.

I had no faith in our defense squad beyond the first pair before he got here, but having a guy like him on the 2nd pair really stabilizes the whole squad, akin to what Hamrlik used to do for this team.

I throw 5.5M to Petry for 4 to 6 years in the blink of an eye. 6M if we have to. I've been saying for so long that this teams desperately needs another bonafide top 3 dman and we have one now. We can't just let him go and expect someone else to take his place.

If our goal, as a franchise, is to win #25, you need a guy like Petry. None of Beaulieu, Emelin or Gilbert can fill that void in the short term, and Markov won't last forever. MB, do what you gotta do.

To me the biggest factor is that this team will not have any players making significantly higher than Plekanecs' 5 million for at least 4 years.

Barring a trade for an impact player of course.

And I Have no problem with that, a nice deep forward group without a top end star...if you have a star goalie and a deep, good blue line you can be a contender year in and out.

If anything, it's looking like giving massive salary to one or more forwards is not the best route to take to being a contender.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't see why or how money is going to be an issue for the Habs. They have capspace and some expiring deals in the next 1-2 years.

If the Habs want Petry and more importantly, Petry wants to stay with the Habs. There's no reason they can't get it done.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I don't see why or how money is going to be an issue for the Habs. They have capspace and some expiring deals in the next 1-2 years.

If the Habs want Petry and more importantly, Petry wants to stay with the Habs. There's no reason they can't get it done.

It'll probably fall down to wether or not Petry wants to stay, unfortunately. Hopefully a long playoff run will be enough to convince him. Although being from Michigan, and being a RHD, I can see him potentially signing with Detroit... Why wouldn't he want to spend the rest of his career close to home? Hopefully it doesn't happen though.

Like you said, capspace isn't an issue. If we're tight this year, give Galchenyuk and Beaulieu short term, low cap hit deals. It's reasonable to assume that at least one of McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, 'Ghetto will join the team next year on their ELCs. This team is in great position cap-wise moving forward.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It'll probably fall down to wether or not Petry wants to stay, unfortunately. Hopefully a long playoff run will be enough to convince him. Although being from Michigan, and being a RHD, I can see him potentially signing with Detroit... Why wouldn't he want to spend the rest of his career close to home? Hopefully it doesn't happen though.

Like you said, capspace isn't an issue. If we're tight this year, give Galchenyuk and Beaulieu short term, low cap hit deals. It's reasonable to assume that at least one of McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, 'Ghetto will join the team next year on their ELCs. This team is in great position cap-wise moving forward.

The Habs truly are in excellent shape in terms of the cap in the short-to-medium term.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
he's Markov's replacement

Prime Markov probably was a little better but still, gotta resign him

Indeed. Markov will still be very usefull in the years to come, but we cannot use him as much as we did anymore.

Here's my guess of what will happen.
We sign Petry 6 mil 5 years
Trade Emelin to Edmonton in a big deal.

Pateryn and Beaulieu are both ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Resign Petry no matter the cost. We will have a huge whole on D without him next year. And the assets we can trade need to be used for a top 6 player not to patch a hole in D

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The Habs truly are in excellent shape in terms of the cap in the short-to-medium term.

That's one of the reasons why I love what MB has done so far, especially considering the cap situation of some of our competitors like the Rangers, Bruins, Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad