Speculation: Petry rumors with detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

From the main boards.

What you guys thinking on this? I honestly don't believe Detroit would be interested because that information wouldn't come out.

Let us entertain the idea: which defender is being traded and is there retention? Looking at our defense, the only person that could be traded that would make sense is Chiarot imo. With that being said, would MTL even want chiarot back? He is also 35 years old with 2 years left, does that matter to us as Chiarot is 32 with 3 years left. Is Petry actually better than Chiarot for our team specifically, not in the macro sense, but the micro?

These are all questions I legitimately do not know and am curious for the answers or more informed opinions.

EDIT: Also, Petry cannot have salary retained if I remember the trade rules correctly because he already has some of his salary retained already.

Last edited:

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
That edit is incorrect. There have been several deals in recent memory of teams including a 3rd team in a trade to retain 50% of a player's salary remaining after 50% had already been retained.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Unless Yzerman has something else planned, Wings don't exactly need Petry retained, especially if they are sending a Dman back.

If the Habs want Dmen coming back they can have Chiarot AND Holl.

• Wow
Reactions: Wats

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Who would he replace? Holl who Yzerman just signed to a 3 year deal. Chiarot who still has 3 years left? Ghost who was just signed to man one of our PP units? Its not going to be Seider, Walman or Maatta.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The rumor tying Detroit to Petry is likely from Petry himself. If he's gonna get tossed around late in his career and no contender wants him, he probably wouldn't mind being close to family (if family is even in MI anymore).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would trade him straight up to Gustav Lindström.

The caphit is pretty nice currently, because Pittsburgh did retain 1.5M of it.

It's only 4.687M for 2 years. Kind of "getting an UFA" with a short-term deal.

I wonder if Montreal would take Chiarot back.... head-to-head -trade. :P

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who would he replace? Holl who Yzerman just signed to a 3 year deal. Chiarot who still has 3 years left? Ghost who was just signed to man one of our PP units? Its not going to be Seider, Walman or Maatta.

Mostly he would replace some of the LhDs and would put Gostisbehere to left side.

Walman - Seider
Määttä/Chia - Petry
Ghost - Holl
Määttä/Chia - (Lindström)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We need cap hit going the other way to resign players next year

Not really, there's 33M in cap space. All kids can be extended easily. Perron will be let walk, and maybe Gostisbehere too, if Petry arrives. Anyways there are short-term vets, who won't block any kids, they just buy that 1-2 year developmental period for those to ease the jump at NHL.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Every year with Petry, enough already.

giphy.gif

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Mostly he would replace some of the LhDs and would put Gostisbehere to left side.

Walman - Seider
Määttä/Chia - Petry
Ghost - Holl
Määttä/Chia - (Lindström)
which would mean one of Chia, Holl or Maatta sits. I don't see that happening tbh

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I would trade him straight up to Gustav Lindström.

The caphit is pretty nice currently, because Pittsburgh did retain 1.5M of it.

It's only 4.687M for 2 years. Kind of "getting an UFA" with a short-term deal.

I wonder if Montreal would take Chiarot back.... head-to-head -trade. :P

I’d do it to watch the forum explode.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’d do it to watch the forum explode.
I'm sure that's how Stevie judges a trade, that's why he traded Mantha. The Cleveland pick was also probably just a big joke on us, lol.

I'm waiting for the Phil Kessel training camp PTO. Then we can have some serious conversations about hot dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad