Prospect Info: Petrus Palmu

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
yeah, as an undersized forwards, i am fine to let the guy get as strong as he can before trying the nhl. i am also not sure how crowded the roster in utica will be with wingers next year, so i am not fussy whether he stays in finland or comes over.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The European season is over for Palmu. According to Elite Prospects, he finishes with 17/19/36 +9, in 59 gp for the regular season, 4/1/5 even, in 10 gp for the playoffs. For his team, he was fifth in points, tied for second in goals.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who know way more about this stuff as to whether or not those are promising results for the Canucks next Bobby Lalonde.

My guess is that Palmu will play another season for Turku before coming over to Utica. He's contracted for another year. Some have suggested there's a way out of the contract, but there may not be much incentive, depending on how many young wingers are expected to be in the Comets line-up.

Wow! Another year of prospect overloads in Utica. This will be the 3rd year in a row I have heard this and then the season opens and it's Carcone, Molino, and D'Aoust. MacEwen turned out to be the only prospect here until now with Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, and hopefully Benning is able to see fit to sign MacMaster out of Quinnipiac. He is better than Carcone, Molino, D'Doust, Cassels, and LaBate.

All of these new kids are a different kind of player than MacEwen. I think Mac turns out to be more of a power forward while the rest are speed and skills. Molino, D'Aoust, and Carcone take back seats to both. Right now Molino is a bust, D'Aoust only on an AHL contract could find himself on the outside looking in, and Carcone is working to earn an AHL career and unless he decides to include the other 2 guys on his line and accepts the fact he has to learn how to play in his own zone especially on the half boards, that won't happen either unless it's as a roustabout going team to team every season.

Gaudette, Dahlen, Pettersson in Vancouver.

Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, MacMaster in Utica. Though I see Lind and now Jasek appearing on some posters' projected 2018 Vancouver rosters, I think they are Comets. There would be plenty of a room for a hard working speedy young forward like Palmu, who had already voiced his desire to be here this season.

If you want to load up the Comets, it's down the middle they are absolutely starving to death and there are no center prospects.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wow! Another year of prospect overloads in Utica. This will be the 3rd year in a row I have heard this and then the season opens and it's Carcone, Molino, and D'Aoust. MacEwen turned out to be the only prospect here until now with Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, and hopefully Benning is able to see fit to sign MacMaster out of Quinnipiac. He is better than Carcone, Molino, D'Doust, Cassels, and LaBate.

And I keep telling you that you that the normal timeline for prospects to hit the AHL is 2 years post draft. This year, you saw guys drafted from the 2015 draft join Utica. So while in your mind, Benning has had 4 drafts, there are really only 2 drafts that should have produced players for Utica this season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

All of these new kids are a different kind of player than MacEwen. I think Mac turns out to be more of a power forward while the rest are speed and skills. Molino, D'Aoust, and Carcone take back seats to both. Right now Molino is a bust, D'Aoust only on an AHL contract could find himself on the outside looking in, and Carcone is working to earn an AHL career and unless he decides to include the other 2 guys on his line and accepts the fact he has to learn how to play in his own zone especially on the half boards, that won't happen either unless it's as a roustabout going team to team every season.

Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, MacMaster in Utica. Though I see Lind and now Jasek appearing on some posters' projected 2018 Vancouver rosters, I think they are Comets. There would be plenty of a room for a hard working speedy young forward like Palmu, who had already voiced his desire to be here this season.

If you want to load up the Comets, it's down the middle they are absolutely starving to death and there are no center prospects.

There's certainly a lot that could happen between now and the beginning of the season, so sure, the Comets could need Palmu. As I said in the post you're responding to, "And they'll obviously need something down the middle."

It'd be good if there's room for Palm in Utica, because that would probably mean the Canucks found a way to move out some veterans to make room for the next wave.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't help pulling for a kid who stands 5'6" soaking wet, but who's compete level is off the charts. But have noted previous posters who follow his Finnish League team with reservations about whether he can make it in NA. Canucks could be tight for contract spots, but will they take a flyer on him for Utica next year?

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Can't help pulling for a kid who stands 5'6" soaking wet, but who's compete level is off the charts. But have noted previous posters who follow his Finnish League team with reservations about whether he can make it in NA. Canucks could be tight for contract spots, but will they take a flyer on him for Utica next year?

How tall is he dry?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm optimistic about Palmu. Size and strength doesn't seem to be an issue, so it sounds like it comes down to whether he has the skill to play in the NHL. Coming off a really solid rookie season in Finland, next season is going to be huge for him, wherever he decides to play.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Yes, no doubt, it should be the number one focus for the management team to pick up a couple of AHL top 6 centres to help to compete while developing the top winger prospects!

However, a winger like Palmu, at this point, he should stay in Europe with good a option to develop with a team who believes in him and will continue to give him opportunities to take on responsibility... I would stay as far away from the program in Utica as I could. I can see him heading to Utica and the "braintrust" and fan base clamouring to play the responsible ECHL/AHL grinder because, you know, the team is more important than a prospect who hasn't proven anything.

Really baffled by the above. All of these posts about Hutton and McCann... who are irrelevant other than the fact they are a part of a pattern. There is non stop criticism of the Canucks for the lack of "prospects" and talent in Utica, and then when the really talented and highly regarded prospects are there, they get to watch the boys who have "carried the water all year." Fun for them, and also, a good reason not to play there if a prospect has options where they will be treated better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks like the plan is to get Palmu to Utica next season...some of these late picks like Palmu, Jasek and Brassard look like they might finally be starting to pan out for the Canucks.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
To Fan:

You say only 2 drafts should have produced players for Utica. That's BS. However, name the draft picks from those 2 seasons that were assigned to Utica.

Demko and absolutely nothing but high marks from me.

Virtanen did play here for most of the 2016-17 season. Go back and read all my posts which preached patience and discouraged bust talk. I said he had a lot of natural talent and he just might surprise.

McCann was totally mismanaged and now plays for the Florida Panthers instead of Vancouver.

In all fairness both Jared and Jake should have spent their first pro season in Utica.

Benning and Willie screwed up with Tryamkin who was NHL ready when he showed up.

Forsling was traded for a loser in Clendening. Another bonehead move. Petit was not extended a contract and Stewart was a lost cause from the get go.

Boeser was a no brainer.

Briseboisis is in Utica and has played 68 regular season games and all 4 playoff tilts.

Zhukenov eligible this year and not here.

Gaudette just out of Northeastern. We'll see where he ends up. Guessing Vancouver ready or not. (not saying he won't prove he belongs)

Jasek - Arrived out of the blue for the last 6 regular season games and played 2 playoff games before hitting the injured list. Was recently signed to a 3-yr ELC. Should be a Comet next year.

Carl Neil and Tate Olson not extended contracts.

Everyone from this draft was AHL eligible and the only guy here is Brisebois.

Most of the guys from the next drafts were eligible, but maybe not ready yet. let's look.

Every guy on this list was eligible to play in Utica this season. Olli sent back to play in Finland. You all know where I stand on guys developing somewhere other than the farm where all NA players have to go if they don't make the Vanouver roster. It's my opinion and not all agree with it, but that's just fine.

Lockwood still in college and after being injured will go back again. No injury, probably started in Utica next season.

Candella, Stukel, Abols and McKenzie were eligible as I said, but Abols signed in Sweden. The other 3 went back to Jrs. and if not signed by June 1st are just gone.

Pettersson will be in Vancouver this coming season.

Lind and Gadjovich should be in Utica and Palmu should also.

DiPietro is too young. Eligible in 2019-20.

Rathbone as a US player is eligible any time they think he is ready since he did not play Canadian Jrs., but he is enrolled at Harvard.

Brassard and Gunnarsson have another year of Jr eligibility even though both will be 20, the age most decent prospects enter the AHL. Gunnarsson looks to be a mistake anyways. He has absolutely zero offensive bones in his body, but who knows.

So, in summary, Demko and Virtanen played in Utica from 2014, Brisebois played from 2015 and Jasek should be there next year. Nobody from 2016 is likely to ever play in Utica. Those 3 classes should have produced more than 4 players and one of the 4 is yet to be on the roster (Jasek).

The 2017 class will produce Lind and Gadjovich this coming season and Palmu should be here as well. DiPietro should arrive a year later. The verdict is still out on Rathbone, Gunnarsson and Brassard. So again I state, 4 drafts and I have listed all who were eligible (and right now that's all but Rathbone, and DiPietro) and the total in Utica has been 3 players and only 2 were there this season and likely only one of those will be back next year, Brisebois.

The complaint has nothing to do with the players who are actually NHL ready like Boeser and probably Pettersson and maybe Gaudette. Training camp will settle that out. The argument has been if there are really not a lot of picks sent here, Benning needs to supply his farm with guys who can play well at this level, add the undrafted guys he wants to take a chance on and utilize his European scouts to bring out 23, 24, 25, and 26 yr-old guys who have been very successful in their top leagues to fill out the AHL roster with guys who don't achieve veteran status and may just pan out as very good players with a chance to serve as call-ups for the Canucks.

It's a process followed by all the good AHL clubs and then when you do send prospects in like next season e.g. Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, MacMaster, Dahlen

(He can't make it in the NHL without more experience. It is showing in the AHL playoffs. He is a talent. Has a nose for the game and once he figures it all out will be a very good one, but he is not ready yet and it has nothing to do with strength. Benning can force him onto the roster, but he really needs at least a couple months of NA hockey experience playing big minutes and becoming a top AHL player first. Right now he has not even come close to that level of achievement)

and combine them with Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner, McEneny, MacEwen, Carcone, and probably D'Aoust and hopefully re-sign Boucher and Chaput these guys mesh with the non Canuck prospects I have mentioned and you have a team that can best provide the kind of environment these kids need to become the best they can be.

The lost causes in the late picks and undrafted players are not good results. The Marlies have 10 guys on their roster who were not drafted, 4 7th round picks, and 2 sixth round picks. They are combined with 3 1st rounders, 4 2nd rounders, and 2 3rd rounders. Their #1 point getter was a 6th round pick and is an 8 yr pro, #2 was a 7th rounder (2nd yr pro), #3 was not drafted and is a 10 yr pro, #4 a 6th round pick (1st year pro), #5 5th rounder (2nd yr pro), #6 undrafted (2nd year pro), #7 2nd round pick (1st year pro).

I didn't mention Kapanen because he only had 24 points. Of course he only played 28 games.

The top 7 on D all have 20+ points and 3 are rookies and one is a 2nd year pro. They are balanced off with a 4th yr pro, a 6th yr pro, and a 7th yr pro.

Only 2 of their D are veterans and one of the two is VE.
They have 4 forwards who are VETS. 2 are centers, one is the top scorer on the RW, and the other is a checking line journeyman RW who has only played 47 games. That's 6 vets period and one is a VE so all 6 can play every night. No veteran overload.

Their top center is a 10yr undrafted vet., his RW is a 6th rd pick 8yr vet, and his RW is a rookie. Between them they accumulated 145 points.

This is a well constructed roster with a perfect combination of youth (1st to 3rd yr players), middling agers 4th to 6th yr players, and older vets (7th t0 11th yr pros). The kids play with guys who make them better and grow quicker. One line is all youngsters. One d-pair is comprised of 2 rookies. One is 18 and the other is one of those older, experienced, undrafted Europeans I was talking about, Calle Rosen. He is a 24 yr old SHL vet paired with the 18 yr old Swede. They work smartly together.
Their top goalie and also the AHL's #1 goalie is a 7th round pick while his partner in crime is a 2nd round pick. Statistically they are the league's #1 tandem.

This team does not just fill out their roster with maybe undrafted free agents, left over AHL vets, and shot in the dark late round picks. Their acquisitions are obviously well scouted and have been paying off in spades. Kudos to that scouting crew both in NA and their various European scouts. This is the kind of work being done by Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton just to mention a few more.

Just as a last example of how the late rounders are not just stabs in the dark, Andreas Johnsson, who will be in a Marlies uniform Sunday, was a 2013 7th round Toronto draft pick and he is a 2nd yr pro who scored 54 points in 54 games this season for the Marlies. He finished the season with 9 GP for the Leafs and then played in 6 of their 7 playoff games. Remember he's not just an exception. There are 2 other 7th rounders and 2 6th rounders taking regular shifts while their top keeper and the league's best is also a 7th pick. Not exactly Stewart, Petit, Neill, Olson, Candella, Stukel, Abols, or McKenzie.

If the Comets end up knocking off this group, it won't diminish the job the Toronto staff has done constructing this team. By the way, Syracuse built the same way by Stevie Y and Company, took out Rochester in 3 straight and were finalists last season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes, no doubt, it should be the number one focus for the management team to pick up a couple of AHL top 6 centres to help to compete while developing the top winger prospects!

However, a winger like Palmu, at this point, he should stay in Europe with good a option to develop with a team who believes in him and will continue to give him opportunities to take on responsibility... I would stay as far away from the program in Utica as I could. I can see him heading to Utica and the "braintrust" and fan base clamouring to play the responsible ECHL/AHL grinder because, you know, the team is more important than a prospect who hasn't proven anything.

Really baffled by the above. All of these posts about Hutton and McCann... who are irrelevant other than the fact they are a part of a pattern. There is non stop criticism of the Canucks for the lack of "prospects" and talent in Utica, and then when the really talented and highly regarded prospects are there, they get to watch the boys who have "carried the water all year." Fun for them, and also, a good reason not to play there if a prospect has options where they will be treated better.

Please list the players you are talking about. Hutton was not a really talented and highly regarded prospect when he came to Utica out of Maine. Not one Comets fan put down McCann. Most of us wished he had been given a chance to possibly push Friesen down a line or at least solidify the 3rd line while Will Acton was out injured.

Which highly regarded prospects are not getting any time this season?
Linds is the only guy I can see you may be referring to as Dahlen is a regular along with MacMaster and Jasek was also until his injury sidelined him after game 2. Regulars Megna, D'Aoust, and Molino have been replaced.
Cull and Lind have both been quoted back a few posts explaining his difficulty adjusting to the speed and strength of the game here. He'll be all right next season. He needs to work on his skating, strength, and conditioning over the summer. Apparently not all Jr teams are conditioned as well as the European top leagues or the top NCAA programs. Kole and Cull both talked about conditioning as well. Remember that conditioning was a huge problem with Jake in 2014-15 coming out of Jrs. He could barely manage 20 second shifts before staggering to the bench gasping for breath. His first few practices in 2016-17 were hard to watch as he was gassed in every drill and we won't even go into the sprints. It's been a factor with Hutton in Vancouver and was in 2014-15 when he finally showed up in Utica. That was Green's evaluation then and is also his stance now.

How many Comets games have you actually watched to measure up these prospects you are talking about against the players the Comets face in the playoffs. From your number of posts i doubt you were even involved with the Comets in 2014-15. As to this year's bunch ivcan't see where you have an argument. The kids who can play are playing. Kole will be a Comet next season and will be just fine after his summer workouts and preseason conditioning in both Vancouver's and Utica's camps.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
Every guy on this list was eligible to play in Utica this season. Olli sent back to play in Finland. You all know where I stand on guys developing somewhere other than the farm where all NA players have to go if they don't make the Vanouver roster. It's my opinion and not all agree with it, but that's just fine.

Juolevi was not eligible for Utica this season. I know you like to bitch about Dahlen going to Sweden for the year, but Juolevi's options were the London Knights, Finland or the NHL.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
And I keep telling you that you that the normal timeline for prospects to hit the AHL is 2 years post draft. This year, you saw guys drafted from the 2015 draft join Utica. So while in your mind, Benning has had 4 drafts, there are really only 2 drafts that should have produced players for Utica this season.

You make it sound as if the Canucks had no drafts before Benning.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Pass it to Bulis has an article on Palm, Juolevi, and Rathbone today. It includes a Dhaliwal tweet re Palmu:

"Talks have started to get Palmu out of his contract with TPS in Finland to sign with the #Canucks."

The Prospector: Petrus Palmu, Olli Juolevi, and Jack Rathbone

I was speculating earlier that the Canucks might be content to leave Palmu in Finland. So much for my speculation.

interdesting. utica is going to be crazy deep with canuck prospects at this rate.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Please list the players you are talking about. Hutton was not a really talented and highly regarded prospect when he came to Utica out of Maine. Not one Comets fan put down McCann. Most of us wished he had been given a chance to possibly push Friesen down a line or at least solidify the 3rd line while Will Acton was out injured.

Which highly regarded prospects are not getting any time this season?
Linds is the only guy I can see you may be referring to as Dahlen is a regular along with MacMaster and Jasek was also until his injury sidelined him after game 2. Regulars Megna, D'Aoust, and Molino have been replaced.
Cull and Lind have both been quoted back a few posts explaining his difficulty adjusting to the speed and strength of the game here. He'll be all right next season. He needs to work on his skating, strength, and conditioning over the summer. Apparently not all Jr teams are conditioned as well as the European top leagues or the top NCAA programs. Kole and Cull both talked about conditioning as well. Remember that conditioning was a huge problem with Jake in 2014-15 coming out of Jrs. He could barely manage 20 second shifts before staggering to the bench gasping for breath. His first few practices in 2016-17 were hard to watch as he was gassed in every drill and we won't even go into the sprints. It's been a factor with Hutton in Vancouver and was in 2014-15 when he finally showed up in Utica. That was Green's evaluation then and is also his stance now.

How many Comets games have you actually watched to measure up these prospects you are talking about against the players the Comets face in the playoffs. From your number of posts i doubt you were even involved with the Comets in 2014-15. As to this year's bunch ivcan't see where you have an argument. The kids who can play are playing. Kole will be a Comet next season and will be just fine after his summer workouts and preseason conditioning in both Vancouver's and Utica's camps.
This post is better suited for the Utica Comets thread. Please stay on topic in here. Thanks.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Juolevi was not eligible for Utica this season. I know you like to ***** about Dahlen going to Sweden for the year, but Juolevi's options were the London Knights, Finland or the NHL.

Yeah, forgot he was a European who played Canadian Jrs and therefore had to play by the NHL/Canadian JR rules. Not bad. I only screwed up on one of the 29 draft selections.

Only one 2016 and 4 2017 selections were not technically able to play for the Comets this year. I was simply pointing this out to "Fan" who claimed only 2014 and 2015 picks were eligible for Utica this season. 5 of the 6 2016s and 5 of the 2017s were eligible this season. I never said they should have been assigned here, just that they were eligible based upon the AHL eligibility rules.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! This is pretty impressive for a 20-year old playing his first pro season. Definitely an 'under-the-radar' prospect. Actually, in recent drafts Jimbo has been getting some 'hits' in later rounds....really makes you wonder why he's traded so many of them since becoming GM.

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad