Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
anigif_enhanced-25720-1431455201-2.gif

Chia! Chia! Chia!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hearing interest from EDM in Petro. They've expressed interest in the past, some teams circling given our record. He's from EDM/Alberta and Oilers want/need some D.
Scoring has been the biggest problem as that's why they acquired Cammallari. Sekera will be out most of the year with ACL and Klefbom is having an off year as he is pressing too much to make up for the lack of scoring from the F's. Oil need to dump salary due to the Draisaitl/McDavid/Lucic or RNH contracts. Lucic's contract is untradeable and RNH could be had but the cost would be Petro plus our 1st or 2nd next draft. Tallon has no room to take anything substantial on due to the Cap ceiling.

Only thing close to viable is Gryba/Rattie for Petro. :)

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Interesting to listen to Petro's side of the story. He's definitely befuddled as he feels he's done what Boughner has asked of him....to be hard to play against physically. IMO, it really boils down to perception. Petro doesn't play with emotional intensity because that's just not his personality. Boughner wants an enforcer mentality from him and Petro is not that guy, so he is sent to his room. Boughner wants to see him clean up a few things.:laugh: Really? What about the rest of the D corp who continue to blow coverages and nary a word is spoken to any of them. On that breakaway where ol dumb Huby fired the puck into Manson, where were Matheson/Pysyk? Well they had both skated in deep. I mean when do you see two defensemen in deep? Both of those guys continue on the second pairing skating 18-20 minutes a night and they suck. I won't even get into Ek/Yandle.

Boughner likes the way the D has been playing so he doesn't want to change things. What BS. They've been giving up less shots because the Forwards have been told not to fly the zone until the team has possession period. Results are predictable with less scoring and will continue to trend this way unless they open up. Boughner tried to remedy the lack of scoring the other night by sending Ek in with the forwards with a conscious effort to rotate a F to take his place on the blueline. Yup, he had 9 shots and was close on a couple but he has taken something off his shot to be more accurate and it's just not as effective as a few years ago (also fanned on two one-timers, breaking his stick on one). :)

Scratched Panthers defenseman Alex Petrovic: 'I think they just don't have the confidence in me'

Last edited:

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
i just dont think we'll get anything real for him. RNH would be a dream and we'd likely have to package a pick. instead of a pick id rather we package mascherin. thatd be awesome.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
i just dont think we'll get anything real for him. RNH would be a dream and we'd likely have to package a pick. instead of a pick id rather we package mascherin. thatd be awesome.
It would be nice but Tallon doesn't have the room to add $6M to the Cap ceiling. Never happen IMO unless they give up one of Tro or Barky in return. :)

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Petrovic is better than Gundbranson, and cheaper. Trading him is a mistake. They won't get anything close to good value.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Petrovic is better than Gundbranson, and cheaper. Trading him is a mistake. They won't get anything close to good value.
His value is only going to diminish the longer he sits in the pressbox and the closer he gets to UFA (2019). It also doesn't make sense from an internal cap perspective to have close to a 2M guy as the 7th d-man.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Cant wait till we trade Petrovic for a 4th round pick

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Petrovic stinks. If Tallon can get a bag of pucks in return, he should be nominated GM of the year.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

Wrong. Name one thing Petrovic does better? And even if you concede they both stink, at least Guddy can drop the gloves and not get embarrassed.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Wrong. Name one thing Petrovic does better? And even if you concede they both stink, at least Guddy can drop the gloves and not get embarrassed.
Guds to his credit has changed his game this year to a pure shut down defenseman and is doing a good job. He finally realized this year for the first time in his career that he has no offensive potential and is playing to his strengths. Still can play the physical board game and make a solid first pass if his forwards give him a target......if not he uses the boards to get the puck out of the zone. Finally he will fight to protect teammates but he is no longer a pure enforcer as he is too brittle. If he can stay away from the fights and extremely hard hits he has a chance to have a long career.

Petro averages 3 hits per game and Guds 2.4 and both can produce solid finishes to their checks. Each has to be careful as too solid can mean a boarding or getting out of position. The next highest hits average for the Cats are the two 3rd pair guys Weegar and McCoshen at 1.6. Then Pysyk at at 1.2. The rest are all below 1 hit per game. Blocked shots are just about even between the two. The first two pairings for the Cats are all weak sisters when it comes to playing a physical game.

Neither will ever be accused of being another Karlsson. Guds has zero points in 20 games and Alex has two assists in 11. The big question is, will Guds command $5-$6M? :laugh: The answer is of course not. He may find someone who is dumb enough to give him $4 to $4.5M, but that would be a stretch. Is he coming back to the Cats? Not at those numbers. Finally Alex has a puck carrying advantage and passing advantage because he has average NHL defenseman skill and Guds does not. In the end it all boils down to whether Boughner wants him around. He says he will be a big part of this team but a statement like that is usually the kiss of death. :)

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Let's not turn this into a yet another Guds debate, keep the discussion on Petrovic.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Petrovic is a better skater, passer, and has better gap control, and stays healthier. Gudbranson is better at hitting, fighting.

I just don't see who we trade Petrovic (on his own) for that will be a top 6 player. Maybe you trade him for Branden Gallagher straight up, maybe add a 2nd or first in 2019 and try for Galchenyuk.

Maybe you can add the same pick and get RNH from Edmonton or trade for Pakkarien or Drake Caggiula straight up.

Petrovic is a 3rd pairing defenseman. The odds that we get a 2nd line player for him in a trade where we are not adding another asset is slim.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Thing is, while it would be nice to get some extra help on the forward side of things. If we trade Petrovic, we will certainly need to trade for a defenseman as well. Who do we have to step into that 7th role, or even better, step into the lineup right away? Can't think of anyone, so yeah, that would be a massive need if he leaves.

After the last few games, I still think Weegar needs to be eased into things. He has done too many sloppy passes lately for my liking. Still like him and I think he has done well. But he needs to work on a few things still. McCoshen I'm fine with but would love to be able to move Pysyk back to 3rd pair and get another top 4 D-man to help out. Not sure what we could give up to get that, might actually rather use Petrovic and add to get that player in rather then a forward.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Realistically anyone offers a 2nd round pick and he's yours. The longer he sits, the more his value drops. Soon enough it's going to be a 3rd rounder. Then when it gets past that, you might as well just put him on waivers.

After the last few games, I still think Weegar needs to be eased into things. He has done too many sloppy passes lately for my liking. Still like him and I think he has done well. But he needs to work on a few things still.
Weegar needs to learn and it's better he learns this year, than next year. Scratch him from time to time yes, but he should still play around 60 games.

I agree with your point that we need a 7th d-man if Petro gets traded.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Petrovic is a better skater, passer, and has better gap control, and stays healthier. Gudbranson is better at hitting, fighting.

I just don't see who we trade Petrovic (on his own) for that will be a top 6 player. Maybe you trade him for Branden Gallagher straight up, maybe add a 2nd or first in 2019 and try for Galchenyuk.

Maybe you can add the same pick and get RNH from Edmonton or trade for Pakkarien or Drake Caggiula straight up.

Petrovic is a 3rd pairing defenseman. The odds that we get a 2nd line player for him in a trade where we are not adding another asset is slim.

You really think Petrovic would get Gallagher straight up! :eek::huh:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
When we trade Petrovic i think we trade a player for player and there only two option. A depth Player so we play with our current Pairs till end of the Season, so they can start to build chemistry and learn how each other play.
Or we upgrade and give Petro in as a depth player for partner on this trade anything else doesnt bring anything to the Team.
Our oldest D Player are current 31 and 25 years old and 31 is not a real D Player.
So upgrade or no trade is the only solutiion.

Petro good with the Puck, tell me one Game his out let pass in the middle of the Ice doesnt get intercepted. His Board work doesnt help, he lost Board battles about getting outworked. And he was one of older Player on this Roster. A Player with expierence who settle the Game if it was needed and in the first 10 Games he doesnt show it and know he complain about it.
That is low and lame, you know you are on a bridge contract and must prove your game. But doesnt get it together.

I cant agree here with all the People saying Petro was good or better on the Ice as the other 2nd and 3rd Line Players. Not all Games i saw so this Season from him.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
dude. we have noone when injuries come. 2 injured d men is common in the nhl. I can't imagine who wed put in of not petro. that's another thing that should make u shudder. this is the panthers playing at full strength......holy shit

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad