Rumor: Petrovic "on a short leash", possibly in play for trades

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Friedman saying Petrovic is pretty much in play, is in doghouse with Boughner and has a short leash etc.

I'd add the Arizona pick to get a solid #2LW or LD defensive defenseman for Ekblad. They'd probably be a UFA to be but we need something to kickstart some emotion and fear into this group.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Friedman saying Petrovic is pretty much in play, is in doghouse with Boughner and has a short leash etc.

I'd add the Arizona pick to get a solid #2LW or LD defensive defenseman for Ekblad. They'd probably be a UFA to be but we need something to kickstart some emotion and fear into this group.
Given our offensive prowess, we need to make a change or two because we can salvage this season. Right now, the biggest issue is PK. If we can get either a forward or a D-man that can help, it needs to be done. But who is even available? Anyone good is going to be a fortune.

#2LW is a need but it's not going to solve our biggest issue.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

This is a huge mistake trading Petro at the bottom of his value. Players who are not liked by coaches usually do not perform up to their standards as the relationship deteriorates. Boughner has one defender with the potential to play physical and it's Petro. His stats are fine but Boughner wants more rough stuff that is on the edge that puts Petro squarely in the crosshairs of fighting (which he shouldn't do because of concussion issues). Just let the guy play his game and he is still far and away the only player on defense that averages 2 hits a game (McCoshen 1.4/Weegar 1.3/Pysyk 1.2). Tough talking Ekblad average .6 hits per game.:laugh: All of the above coupled with a plus rating, solid GVA/TKA ratio and you can see that Petro has been turned into Boughner's scapegoat. Face it Bob, he doesn't like your rambling gambling system of joining the rush and standing up at the high blue line. Poor usage of his assets. Unfortunately, Tallon will likely let him go for peanuts just to placate his new coach. :(

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Break the bank. Sell everything.

Get OEL. f*** it.

But no seriously, Hjalmarrson would be a big help.

In before Petro for Guds lol.

Worth monitoring the Rangers. Allegedly, if the Rangers lose tonight, AV will get canned.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure how does trading Petro or anyone for that matter helps the Dmen as a collective unit to get their heads out of their asses and start playing smarter. IIRC, Ekblad and Pysyk mentioned during the summer break about how they can't wait for the season to begin, unless they meant how they are looking forward to suck two years in a row. Dale ain't gonna move his guy at this stage unless there's a serious overpayment in return.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Boughner wants more rough stuff

He's right about that... but, moreover, he's trying to cover his own ass as well. The special teams are a complete mess, a meth head could draw better special team strategies than what is on display so far on the ice. There's constantly 2-on-1s on the d-zone in front of the net, the other dman is always too far up and the one who's in front of the crease isn't taking anyone out, just trying to take away passing lanes. It's a complete ****ing mess.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
They need top 9 help. Jeff Carter is injured, and it came out a week ago they were willing to part with either for Top 9 help.

I thought that Boughner complained about that the Panthers don't have the depth either (assuming that he's referring to the current forward injuries)?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He's right about that... but, moreover, he's trying to cover his own ass as well. The special teams are a complete mess, a meth head could draw better special team strategies than what is on display so far on the ice. There's constantly 2-on-1s on the d-zone in front of the net, the other dman is always too far up and the one who's in front of the crease isn't taking anyone out, just trying to take away passing lanes. It's a complete ****ing mess.
I personally don't blame Alex for not wanting to engage in fights. Guds has the same problem only his is the surgically repaired hand plus he has been on IR in the past for upper body (concussion). Petro has been on IR enough for upper body issues and he wants to have a brain when he retires. I don't blame him for this and Boughner treating him like he's some disposable napkin is just plain wrong. The only things IMO that Petro can be better at is blocking shots. His broken leg from last year has left him a little guns shy, but even Pysyk was scared to death of getting hit by a Stamkos bullet that all he ended up doing was screening the goalie last night.

Management has been dysfunctional and the only light at the end of the tunnel is a speeding freight train. Viola will explode at some pt and do the irrational move, so it's just a matter of time. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Who didn't see this coming though? Benching aside, Petrovic is at the age (close to free agency) where you have a pretty good idea on his ceiling. Could he play on the 2nd pairing regularly? Possibly, but based on his performances, probably not here. So we're left with a situation where Petrovic wants to prove himself and thus get more term on his contract, and we can't offer him that.

I said this last year when it was reported that they wanted to sign Petro long-term (around the same time of the year too, I think?), that you don't give term to a bottom pairing guy. Doghouse or not (sure looks like it), Petro hasn't shown anything to improve his position on the depth chart. Bottom pairing guys are easy to acquire either through your own depth (Brown) or free agency.

As for the value, I can't see it being much for a healthy scratch. A 3rd round pick, maybe two if there's teams bidding.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
So we're left with a situation where Petrovic wants to prove himself and thus get more term on his contract, and we can't offer him that.

Petro will probably get a three year extension unless Weegar and/or Brown can make definitive statement proving that they are better players during the season. I don't believe that there's an internal cap set up by Viola but Dale's fascination for the guys he has drafted.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Petro will probably get a three year extension unless Weegar and/or Brown can make definitive statement proving that they are better players during the season. I don't believe that there's an internal cap set up by Viola but Dale's fascination for the guys he has drafted.
Tallon has traded his guys though, it's not just a simple "well player X is DT's guy, so we have to keep him".

Waiting until the offseason would be a mistake. What if he keeps getting scratched, is he worth the 2m+ qualifying offer after that? Probably not and who's going to pay to get him, when he can be had for free in July. More likely IMO that they deal Petro, give Weegar most of the games and call-up Brown occasionally to showcase himself too, then sign a veteran d-man during the offseason if those two failed to impress.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What if he keeps getting scratched, is he worth the 2m+ qualifying offer after that?

Probably. Weegar and Brown definitely haven't. 2.5m for Petro vs. 1.25m for Weegar or Brown is just nickle 'n dime bs.

This is just knee jerk reaction because trading Petrovic doesn't help Boughner to set up the defense into order. Boughner and/or the entire defense is the problem, not Petrovic alone.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Probably. Weegar and Brown definitely haven't. 2.5m for Petro vs. 1.25m for Weegar or Brown is just nickle 'n dime bs.

This is just knee jerk reaction because trading Petrovic doesn't help Boughner to set up the defense into order. Boughner and/or the entire defense is the problem, not Petrovic alone.
No one is saying that Petro is the problem and that we have to get rid of him. But in saying that, if they are going to make changes, you start with players that are 1) easiest to move, and 2) easiest to replace. Petro tops both of those categories out of our regular d-men (note: I wouldn't count Weegar as a regular, yet). Even if they wanted to move the d-men signed long-term, it wouldn't make sense because getting back equal value would be next to impossible in a cap world.

Reactions: EnforceTheLaus

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
This is a huge mistake trading Petro at the bottom of his value. Players who are not liked by coaches usually do not perform up to their standards as the relationship deteriorates. Boughner has one defender with the potential to play physical and it's Petro. His stats are fine but Boughner wants more rough stuff that is on the edge that puts Petro squarely in the crosshairs of fighting (which he shouldn't do because of concussion issues). Just let the guy play his game and he is still far and away the only player on defense that averages 2 hits a game (McCoshen 1.4/Weegar 1.3/Pysyk 1.2). Tough talking Ekblad average .6 hits per game.:laugh: All of the above coupled with a plus rating, solid GVA/TKA ratio and you can see that Petro has been turned into Boughner's scapegoat. Face it Bob, he doesn't like your rambling gambling system of joining the rush and standing up at the high blue line. Poor usage of his assets. Unfortunately, Tallon will likely let him go for peanuts just to placate his new coach. :(

I dont think it has something to do with fighting or not. Boughner says he wan to play from the Beginnging with a clear breakout and from there the Game developing by his own. But Petrovic is away from what he can play, but he lost to much Battle on the Boards who ending up with a Goal. Like i posted on many Games befor, his passes out of the Zone was leading to Goals on a turnover or steal. Sometimes he brought the Team into trouble with forceing all 5 members back into the Zone, where the Puck should leave it 1 Min befor.
So i think he is more unhappy what he brings to the Table during the Game and since this Season it is clear he is no fighter, not a single fight he won. So he is far off anything.
With Player like Weegar was stepping up and can maybe step up a small next Step, i think he is gone.

But here begins the real Question. What is there Goal. A Top 4 Veteran Defensman who can play the Coach Game?? A 2 Line LW who fit into Tro Vrbata? only a Bottom pair defensman,

With our Top Line playing like the play in the last Games our biggest Concern is PK and our bad D play overall. So more or less D will be the Main Focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad