Rumor: Petrovic "on a short leash", possibly in play for trades

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
They needed to shed salary, that's the reason why Smith was moved. That's on the owners.

DT didn't want to move Bjugs.

edit: or more probably couldn't move Bjugs after last season and all the injury problems he's had
Exactly, Tallon kept Bjugstad over Smith. It was a stupid move.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If they needed to clear space and let's say they protected Smith and exposed an equal salary in Bjugstad etc.....If Bjugstad wasnt claimed you could have done the same deal...maybe with a draft kicker who knows.

I don't think LV wanted Bjugs with his injuries and a down year.

Honestly I don't think Bjugs was moveable unless they would have taken salary back which DT couldn't do because of the reported inner cap.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Honestly I don't think Bjugs was moveable unless they would have taken salary back which DT couldn't do because of the reported inner cap.
Montreal would have taken him. They still might.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Could have packaged him with Demers for McGinn or whatever.

Honestly, you are probably right, if we didnt have a hard cap, let Marchessault go and all parties would have been happy.

Tallon would keep Bjugs and Smith would still be here.

MacKenzie has been on ice for 12 pp goals against. I would bet everything I have that if that were Smith instead, at least half of that would be gone.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm sure now there is interest in Bjugs again since he is producing.

Like Puma said, Smith would most likely still be here if not for the internal cap.

Maybe. We see bad contacts get moved all the time. Bjugstad should have been traded this offseason but he was Tallon's boy, not Smith, so he got to stay. Smith was also coming off a down year with a bigger, more expensive contract. Bjugstad could have been moved but Tallon made the wrong decision.

Internal cap is a huge issue and if we have an internal cap beyond this season, they should sell the team. I think Viola wants to sell it. I think he bought it to flip it.

Reactions: Jakeybonz2

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Maybe. We see bad contacts get moved all the time. Bjugstad should have been traded this offseason but he was Tallon's boy, not Smith, so he got to stay. Smith was also coming off a down year with a bigger, more expensive contract. Bjugstad could have been moved but Tallon made the wrong decision.

Internal cap is a huge issue and if we have an internal cap beyond this season, they should sell the team. I think Viola wants to sell it. I think he bought it to flip it.

I'm not saying Bjugs wasn't movable, bad contracts do get moved but you have to take salary back which wasn't possible because of the inner cap. I don't think Smith's contract was nearly as intimidating since Bjugs had a really bad year + all those injuries.

Yeah the internal cap is a game breaking issue, I've been saying it all along. Hopefully it's just temporary. If not, maybe Viola will sell.. I have no idea anymore what's going on with this organization.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017

thank you...but of course when I say the obvious people go mental. does viola strike anyone as the kind of guy who really wants to own a hockey team in florida? he just doesn't to me. and his whole I'm a ny guy coming to save some random florida hockey team thing never seemed realistic to me. it was a buy to flip without a doubt. the county surrendering the 84 mil to his extortion simply delayed it. I believe it was supposed to happen by now. should happen after next season right b4 all our amazing prospects come in and make us a winner because u know we can't have that.

Reactions: RainingRats

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Were Jam and Smith cap casualties? Here's what I know: we let go of 2 2nd line forwards to protect a run of the mill 2nd pairing dman and a 7th dman. Even excluding Bjugstad, it was still a bad choice.

I'm not saying they weren't cap casualties. But Petrovic is his guy. He loved Pysyk. He didn't sign Jam or give Smith that contract. I wouldn't be shocked if he wanted them gone. Tallon is Tallon.

Wouldn't be shocked if Yandle was moved either.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Hmmm.

He needs his confidence to be more physical? I dont know that confidence translates to being more physical unless he is not confident about his body's health?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If he's unsure about his ability it can result in hesitation and that can lead in poor or delayed decisions. It's very much a confidence related case do you drive and take the initiative to punish or be cautious about it.
I get the decision making part.

But clearing people out of the net or moving bodies is a mindset in my opinion anyway.

He had not been doing that either. No one has for that matter, but if anyone should be, it's him

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Hmmm.

He needs his confidence to be more physical? I dont know that confidence translates to being more physical unless he is not confident about his body's health?

And they need to keep practicing it until they get it right. I don't care if they never focus on the offensive side again until they get down the defensive side of things, none of this will matter if they are not strong defensively.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Tallon is terrible at trades unless it involves ex Hawks. So, we got a 50/50 shot at it being in our favor.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Smith and McCann were pretty good in my opinion.
According to Batting those two guys were acquired on recommendations from the analytics committee. Tallon was GM at the time Smith was acquired and Rowe when they acquired McCann. :)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Hearing interest from EDM in Petro. They've expressed interest in the past, some teams circling given our record. He's from EDM/Alberta and Oilers want/need some D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad