Petr the Great!!!

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Wait, what? Anyone know anything more about this?

It is likely something that has been lost in translation. I think he just means they aren't so buddy buddy at this moment because it is a competition to get in there and play well every game. To make an analogy in the NFL corner backs don't generally get along in training camp because they are competing for the same spot. I don't think there is ill will there just maybe not as much is said between the two of them right now.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
It is likely something that has been lost in translation. I think he just means they aren't so buddy buddy at this moment because it is a competition to get in there and play well every game. To make an analogy in the NFL corner backs don't generally get along in training camp because they are competing for the same spot. I don't think there is ill will there just maybe not as much is said between the two of them right now.

Yeah, I also think it wasn't meant to sound like they hate each other or something. More like they have more "just professional" relations than before.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Yeah, I also think it wasn't meant to sound like they hate each other or something. More like they have more "just professional" relations than before.

I get that, but it still makes Jimmy sound like he's a bit of a sore loser.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I get that, but it still makes Jimmy sound like he's a bit of a sore loser.

Good. Hope he uses it as motivation to land a starting job somewhere else.

Howard has always played with a bit of an edge and he's obviously very competitive (you don't make it to this level without being so). Going from All Star to backup would bruise anyone's ego.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How much does a goalie with this kinda season but RFA next year tend to get? I scared.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How much does a goalie with this kinda season but RFA next year tend to get? I scared.

Bobrovsky won a Vezina at 24 and signed a RFA deal right after a few years ago probably about as good a comparison as you'll find

he got a 2 year bridge deal for 11.25

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Rask got a 3.5M one year deal, then signed an 8 YR/56M contract.
Price got a 5.5M over 2 years deal, then signed 6 YR/39M contract.
Allen got a 4.7M/2 YR deal.

Latest comparable is Bobrovsky I think. 11.25M/2 YR bridge after winning the Vezina. That would mean that Howard would absolutely have to go.

I'm not sure what to expect.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You think Holland will just let him go, or something?

No but I don't like the idea of locking up a goalie for ~$9M for a long time or something like that. Lundqvist got 8.5 for 7 years a few seasons ago. I assume RFA means he doesn't get that, at least not right away. But the prospect of it is still a little scary.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
No but I don't like the idea of locking up a goalie for ~$9M for a long time or something like that. Lundqvist got 8.5 for 7 years a few seasons ago. I assume RFA means he doesn't get that, at least not right away. But the prospect of it is still a little scary.

Especially when we have another goalie at 5 million

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I just don't like putting that much money into any goalie. I'd rather save it for franchise centers and defensemen. I suppose I need to adjust my thinking if we don't have a franchise defenseman and aren't likely to find one in the market.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Goaltending future

1)It is obvious that Mrazek is the better tender of the two even at his younger age and with less NHL experience. This, however does not mean that Howard has no value to certain teams. I can't envision Howard being happy to play backup role for the next three years no matter how much money he's making. It would not surprise me to see him expand the list of possible destinations just so he would be the starter. To help facilitate a move the Wings could(might have to) retain some salary. 50% retention would mean 3 yrs @ $2,645,833.50 per($7,927,599,50 total). Another option is to buy Howard out. This would mean a total of $9,833,333 spread over six yrs.($1,430,556/1,930,556/2,680,556/1.638,889/1,638,889/1,638,889).

2) As for Mrazek's next contract, Holland has two options. A short term(2 to 3 yrs.) bridge contract or (my preference) a 8 yr. deal at around $7 million per.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
1)It is obvious that Mrazek is the better tender of the two even at his younger age and with less NHL experience. This, however does not mean that Howard has no value to certain teams. I can't envision Howard being happy to play backup role for the next three years no matter how much money he's making. It would not surprise me to see him expand the list of possible destinations just so he would be the starter. To help facilitate a move the Wings could(might have to) retain some salary. 50% retention would mean 3 yrs @ $2,645,833.50 per($7,927,599,50 total). Another option is to buy Howard out. This would mean a total of $9,833,333 spread over six yrs.($1,430,556/1,930,556/2,680,556/1.638,889/1,638,889/1,638,889).

2) As for Mrazek's next contract, Holland has two options. A short term(2 to 3 yrs.) bridge contract or (my preference) a 8 yr. deal at around $7 million per.

Yeah i could possibly see Holland giving Mrazek the Tuuka Rask deal at 8 years $56 million only if he can trade Howard other then that i could also see Holland giving Mrazek a 2 or 3 year bridge deal at around $4.5M AAV per.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I like the long term deal, but I'm hoping we can keep it closer to 6. As far as negotiating, you an say he is worth more then Howard and give him more then Howard, but you can't do the 7 million dollar numbers because he doesn't have the full season under his belt yet, I think Mrazek if confident would push for a bridge for 2 years then go for 7, but in the grand scheme. Mrazek at 6 million over 7 = 42, Mrazek with a 3 million 2 year deal and then a 5 year at 7 or so = 41.... So same amount of money, one he is at risk, the other we are... I think we try to lock him up for a while just hope we keep it closer to 6

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like the long term deal, but I'm hoping we can keep it closer to 6. As far as negotiating, you an say he is worth more then Howard and give him more then Howard, but you can't do the 7 million dollar numbers because he doesn't have the full season under his belt yet, I think Mrazek if confident would push for a bridge for 2 years then go for 7, but in the grand scheme. Mrazek at 6 million over 7 = 42, Mrazek with a 3 million 2 year deal and then a 5 year at 7 or so = 41.... So same amount of money, one he is at risk, the other we are... I think we try to lock him up for a while just hope we keep it closer to 6

Why not give him the howard contract? 5.3 for 5 years.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I just don't like putting that much money into any goalie. I'd rather save it for franchise centers and defensemen. I suppose I need to adjust my thinking if we don't have a franchise defenseman and aren't likely to find one in the market.

normally i would agree with you. but i think mrazek is an exception to this rule, especially since it doesn't look like the wings are getting a number one dman for the foreseable future

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Wings goaltending future

Believe me, if Holland were to sign Mrazek for 8 yrs. @$7 mil. per, given what I truly believe will be his continued road to be an elite(if not a franchise) goaltender,in 5 yrs. that $7 mil. AAV will be an absolute steal.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I didn't find that argument all that compelling. Basically makes the case that Mrazek may be less than he appears because, while his SV% on shots from all other areas is well above the league average, his SV% on shots directly in front of the net is a sliver above league average. But...

Mrazek is an aggressive goaltender, he plays far out of his net. It makes sense that area would have a lower SV% because if he gets caught out with the puck that close to the net it's more likely to end up in the net. His aggressiveness is a big part of what makes him so good in all other areas.

And our D is also occasionally prone to bad giveaways in the worst possible areas, i.e. right in front of the net.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I didn't find that argument all that compelling. Basically makes the case that Mrazek may be less than he appears because, while his SV% on shots from all other areas is well above the league average, his SV% on shots directly in front of the net is a sliver above league average. But...

Mrazek is an aggressive goaltender, he plays far out of his net. It makes sense that area would have a lower SV% because if he gets caught out with the puck that close to the net it's more likely to end up in the net. His aggressiveness is a big part of what makes him so good in all other areas.

And our D is also occasionally prone to bad giveaways in the worst possible areas, i.e. right in front of the net.

He stops pucks. Who cares how he does it

That's like saying Tim Thomas had bad technique so he shouldn't get a vezina

Probably a holtby lover. He's got wins!!! I love it when people use advanced stats but don't know how to use them right

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Mrazek must be loving Howard's meltdown. Imagine one of those cartoons where the person's eyes turn to dollar signs when ever Howard gets lit up.

Wings dodged a major bullet that he isn't arbitration eligible.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mrazek must be loving Howard's meltdown. Imagine one of those cartoons where the person's eyes turn to dollar signs when ever Howard gets lit up.

Wings dodged a major bullet that he isn't arbitration eligible.

Mrazek doesn't care cause he knows he's the starter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad