Petr the Great!!!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Okay I was taking a look a few pages back and saw his thread was closed so I figured I'd start another.

I would respectfully ask that this not turn into a goalie on goalie bash thread please.

Saw an article on NHL.com about Holtby and apparently the Vezina conversation according to them is based on Holtby, Luongo, and Petr the Great as finalists as of right now. Sorry I suck at computers and all so can't link but it is on there front page atm.

Man, he has been absolutely on fire this season. He has probably been our team MVP this year. I am amazed at the progress he has made from last year. I really believe he will be a special player when all is said and done. I am also amazed that it has been so long since we have had a elite tender. Not since Sawchuk have we had one (discounting the Hasek(s) year at the end of his career when he was cup chasing).

Anyway discuss cordially please all he deserves recognition and praise.

Aug 6, 2012
I agree Odin this kid is very very special. His development has been unbelievable... his positioning has improved by leaps and bounds compared to last year. I don't think this team would be watchable without him and Larks.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Playing well in front of a defense that implodes at least 4-5 times a night.

Hopefully his extension is club friendly since the backup is making over five million a season.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Petr has been great.

It is a sad reality that the best players on the team are a 19 y/o rookie and a rookie goalie who has stolen the starting job from a goalie who has 4 more years @ 5.3M. A boat anchor of a contract for a goalie who cannot perform even to an acceptable standard anymore.

This is very bad for the short term of this team but having great young players is promising for the future. We just need a bunch more of them

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Odin, the article you're referring to:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797356

Thank you much for my computer inabilities. :handclap:

One thing that I admit being too lazy to do is figuring out his gpg support in his starting of games. I believe that will be a huge factor in him getting potentially the top honor for goaltenders this year. I know by eye test he often gets 2 goals or less alot but I don't really have the energy to figure out how pathetically low his goal support has been in games he has started in.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This might sound crazy, but if it took Mrazek to get a young 1D, do you do it?

I think I value elite young d-men more than elite goaltenders. And it's not like Howard is pure garbage. He's pretty decent.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

I think I value elite young d-men more than elite goaltenders. And it's not like Howard is pure garbage. He's pretty decent.

Nope. Mrazek has the potential to be the franchise goaltender for the next 15 years. He has Vezina-winning potential. He can steal playoff games for us and already has.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I think I would if the return was either Aaron Ekblad or Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Justin Faulk. I would have to at least consider it.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

Sure but it's unrealistic considering Petr is cheap and any 1D is not.

Holland has overpaid too many guys (Abby, E, Howard) to make it work.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Maybe 2-3 tops would make me think that. Maybe 2-3. And normally I am in the Ozgood-Crawford camp that if your team is that good everywhere else you can forgo goaltending to a degree.

That being said the types like Ekblad that would make me think would never, never, never be up for a trade ever.

Like Dan Z said he is gonna be one for the ages and I agree wholeheartedly with it as well. He is a keeper. Because with him you can have a non top heavy d that will still get good results. If we have 4-5 guys on our d-line that fall between #2's-4's we can forgo needing the mythical elite #1d that is always on the tradeblock :sarcasm:.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Corey Crawford is a lot better than people give him credit for. But his D is also insane

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I wouldn't unless it was Karlsson or Doughty level of player. They would have to be a repeat Norris level guy. And there's no way that'll happen so...
I honestly don't think we could even get like an OEL and for me that would be a tough debate.

I honestly think goalies are much more important than D but Mrazek is still enough of an unknown that I'd do a trade for a top5 D ( in the league).

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

nope

case in point the montreal canadians

they have one of the top 3 young dmen in the league in subban but without price, they're a non playoff team, and we will never ever be able to trade for a dman as young nor as good as subban

I think I would if the return was either Aaron Ekblad or Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Justin Faulk. I would have to at least consider it.

if oel or faulk were that good then arizona and carolina wouldnt be jokes

a #1 dman is great and all but an elite top flight goalie turns lousy teams into contenders whereas those dman simply can not

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
if oel or faulk were that good then arizona and carolina wouldnt be jokes

a #1 dman is great and all but an elite top flight goalie turns lousy teams into contenders whereas those dman simply can not

Arizona isn't a joke anymore :laugh: are the Panthers a joke too, maybe Ekblad isn't good enough??

Petr is pretty good at hockey.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Arizona isn't a joke anymore :laugh: are the Panthers a joke too, maybe Ekblad isn't good enough??

Petr is pretty good at hockey.

really?

their entire franchise goal this year was to compete for last place and draft the arizona kid

problem is, duclair and domi have been too good

the panthers wouldnt be in first place if it werent for luongo, he is the single most important part of that club and reason for their success thus far

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
really?

their entire franchise goal this year was to compete for last place and draft the arizona kid

problem is, duclair and domi have been too good

You're forgetting OEL being a reason too..... Definitely more than duclair and I think more than domi too.

Florida has been pretty damn good as a team defensively, but Luongo has been stellar.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Pretty sure there were plenty of people willing to deal Mrazek for Tyler Myers last season (since they believed Tyler Myers was a #1 defensemen). Goaltending is the most important position in hockey. Plopping Seth Jones (who is far away from becoming a #1D) into the current Red Wings and removing Mrazek would be horrible.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Pretty sure there were plenty of people willing to deal Mrazek for Tyler Myers last season (since they believed Tyler Myers was a #1 defensemen). Goaltending is the most important position in hockey. Plopping Seth Jones (who is far away from becoming a #1D) into the current Red Wings and removing Mrazek would be horrible.

Yeah i'm gonna disagree with that. As long as you have a goaltender that isn't going to be the reason you lost a series, that's all you really need. Trying to use goal tending to hide deficiencies due to lack of talent on the blue line or quality forwards, typically ends badly for the vast majority of teams that over rely on their goaltender.

Lundqvist was in God mode these past four seasons and it wasn't good enough to beat teams that were more balanced at forwards and defenseman.

Their only trip to the Finals was over before the series even started. Elite goalies can definitely make a series more interesting, but i'll pick the team with better depth at forward/defense 99/100 times.

Henrik had a 1.82GAA/931 S% in 20 games during the 11-12 playoffs. That's absolutely nuts, and it only got the Rangers 10 wins.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

I would easily do it. If we build a good enough team, ****ing Christ Osgood should be good enough to win a cup (see: 2008)

nope

case in point the montreal canadians

they have one of the top 3 young dmen in the league in subban but without price, they're a non playoff team, and we will never ever be able to trade for a dman as young nor as good as subban

They don't have a #1C, which we (likely) do in Larkin. The two most important pieces to a team are 1C and 1D imo.... if we got a 1D everything else would fall into place going forward. As long as we're missing a 1D... our defense will be shaky.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah i'm gonna disagree with that. As long as you have a goaltender that isn't going to be the reason you lost a series, that's all you really need. Trying to use goal tending to hide deficiencies due to lack of talent on the blue line or quality forwards, typically ends badly for the vast majority of teams that over rely on their goaltender.

Lundqvist was in God mode these past four seasons and it wasn't good enough to beat teams that were more balanced at forwards and defenseman.

Their only trip to the Finals was over before the series even started. Elite goalies can definitely make a series more interesting, but i'll pick the team with better depth at forward/defense 99/100 times.

That's where I am. Crawford is not elite. Niemi is not elite. Osgood was not elite. They're just good enough. Solid teams seem to be better equipped to win than depending on a goalie to stay red hot all series every series. A defenseman or forward has a few off games it's not the end of the world. You can still win that game. If a goalie is off, it's 2 goals in just like that and good luck making that up in the playoffs.

Seth Jones isn't elite, yet (or maybe ever). Myers neither. I wouldn't deal Mrazek for them. But maybe for Shatty? Damn I think I might.

Mrazek looks like he'll be elite. He's super young. He's still RFA. Guy has to have good value I'd think. His numbers have been good everywhere including the NHL.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would easily do it. If we build a good enough team, ****ing Christ Osgood should be good enough to win a cup (see: 2008)

They don't have a #1C, which we (likely) do in Larkin. The two most important pieces to a team are 1C and 1D imo.... if we got a 1D everything else would fall into place going forward. As long as we're missing a 1D... our defense will be shaky.

we're not talking about other positions here

we're exclusively talking about elite #1 dmen vs elite #1 goalies and their importance to success

of course you need depth and strong scoring, thats true no matter which side you're taking

but assuming you have those, having that elite #1 goalie will get you further

montreal is case in point

without price the habs are a nonplayoff team

without subban they still would be so long as price was there

That's where I am. Crawford is not elite. Niemi is not elite. Osgood was not elite. They're just good enough. Solid teams seem to be better equipped to win than depending on a goalie to stay red hot all series every series. A defenseman or forward has a few off games it's not the end of the world. You can still win that game. If a goalie is off, it's 2 goals in just like that and good luck making that up in the playoffs.

Seth Jones isn't elite, yet (or maybe ever). Myers neither. I wouldn't deal Mrazek for them. But maybe for Shatty? Damn I think I might.

Mrazek looks like he'll be elite. He's super young. He's still RFA. Guy has to have good value I'd think. His numbers have been good everywhere including the NHL.

if shatty were that much of a difference maker on his own than why have the blues, a stacked team with depth everywhere, been a complete and utter bust come the post-season,

i will tell you why, elliot and allen...

you take shattenkirk out and replace him with price and the blues win the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad