Petr the Great!!!

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's a limited NTC. He can still be traded.

Starting this season, he loses his NMC and now has to supply a list of ten teams he won't go to if Holland wants to move him.

"NMC (through 2014-15); NTC (2015-16 through 2017-18; player can supply 10-team no-trade list)"

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/769

I think the real questions are which team would take on Howard, and what kind of bad contract do the Wings have to take on in exchange....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Soooo.... Mrazek is making his case for a nice raise, huh?

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Starting this season, he loses his NMC and now has to supply a list of ten teams he won't go to if Holland wants to move him.

"NMC (through 2014-15); NTC (2015-16 through 2017-18; player can supply 10-team no-trade list)"

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/769

I think the real questions are which team would take on Howard, and what kind of bad contract do the Wings have to take on in exchange....

Honestly if the player doesn't want to move the 10 team thing might as well be a full NTC. If I'm howard and i want to stay, my teams are:

Montreal
Boston
New Jersey
Rangers
LA
Chicago
Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Florida

10 teams that would have absolutely no interest in howard.

edit: i can't read. 10 teams he doesn't want, not 10 teams he does. could still make it tough.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Honestly if the player doesn't want to move the 10 team thing might as well be a full NTC. If I'm howard and i want to stay, my teams are:

Montreal
Boston
New Jersey
Rangers
LA
Chicago
Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Florida

10 teams that would have absolutely no interest in howard.

Sorry, posted before your edit...

The other 19 are fair game. Although to your point, if he didn't want to leave, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to list the ten teams that would be most interested in acquiring a goalie. Put Arizona, Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose, Buffalo, Winnipeg and maybe Toronto on his list of ten, and finding a willing partner becomes pretty hard for Holland. That is, if Howard wants to forego an opportunity to start somewhere while sitting on the bench and negatively effecting the Wings ability to make the team around him better or retain their good young players...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sorry, posted before your edit...

The other 19 are fair game. Although to your point, if he didn't want to leave, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to list the ten teams that would be most interested in acquiring a goalie. Put Arizona, Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose, Buffalo, Winnipeg and maybe Toronto on his list of ten, and finding a willing partner becomes pretty hard for Holland. That is, if Howard wants to forego an opportunity to start somewhere while sitting on the bench and negatively effecting the Wings ability to make the team around him better or retain their good young players...

i don't think canucks are very interested in paying over 10+ mil for goalies. then again, benning is their GM.

coyotes budget likely can't handle howard.

sharks got their goalie in martin jones. paid hefty sum for him too so i think they are going with him. same with sabres but they have more cap space to work with and howard might be willing to go closer to home. so i wouldn't count the sabres out.

jets have their own mrazek in hellebucyk, doubt they are interested.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
edit: i can't read. 10 teams he doesn't want, not 10 teams he does. could still make it tough.

Even after your edit I think you are discrediting the competiveness of NHL players. If it came down to being a backup in Detriot or a starter else where, Im sure Howard would give moving on some valid consideration.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
i don't think canucks are very interested in paying over 10+ mil for goalies. then again, benning is their GM.

coyotes budget likely can't handle howard.

sharks got their goalie in martin jones. paid hefty sum for him too so i think they are going with him. same with sabres but they have more cap space to work with and howard might be willing to go closer to home. so i wouldn't count the sabres out.

jets have their own mrazek in hellebucyk, doubt they are interested.

I'm going under the hypothetical that Howard continues mediocrity, and bad salary would likely be exchanged for Howard in a potential deal or the Wings would retain some salary. I merely listed teams that may have even the slightest opening for bringing in a goalie in the near future.

However, I don't see Holland giving up on Howard until he faces a situation that makes opening up the smallest bit of salary necessary. Realistically, unless he falls completely off, Howard will be easier to move as term comes off his contract.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm going under the hypothetical that Howard continues mediocrity, and bad salary would likely be exchanged for Howard in a potential deal or the Wings would retain some salary. I merely listed teams that may have even the slightest opening for bringing in a goalie in the near future.

However, I don't see Holland giving up on Howard until he faces a situation that makes opening up the smallest bit of salary necessary. Realistically, unless he falls completely off, Howard will be easier to move as term comes off his contract.

yeah, i agree with that. i think he stays unless the situation gets unhealthy, howie wants out or they are tight with the cap.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Hey guys. I had some spare time, so I decided to translate for you this interview with Petr which was made by the journalist in reaction to the article OP is mentioning. Hope you enjoy.

original source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/petr-mrazek-detroit-rozhovor-d26-/nhl.aspx?c=A160120_212204_nhl_ten

There is small intro about the NHL article I didn't translate, it's not improtant. Excuse possible mistakes, it might not be perfect.

Q: Do you have tuxedo?
A: Yes, but for such thing I would buy a new one. But there are still many goalies with great stats in NHL. Little things will make the difference and I don't count to get my hands on Vezina trophy.

Q: NHL.com speaks about your aggressive style, which is forcing you to make spectacular saves. And about your good mobility. What do you think about that?
A: I don't have that many crazy saves anymore. I think they remember how I won the poll for the best save of the season last year. But that was just luck. I left my stick there and the guy hit it. But I have to say my playstyle changed over past 3 years. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be, which helped my game. I try to wait more and make the save when I see the player's move.

Q: Why did this change happen?
A: Experience. With every game I'm learning something new and figuring out the game in NHL.

Q: NHL.com then says the only stat that could be better for Mrazek are the games played, but he's gonna get even more playtime at the expense of long term starter Jimmy Howard. What do you think about that?
A: I played 15 games of the last 18. I'm glad that I'm the front-runner right now and I hope it to stay that way.

Q: Are you #1 already?
A: I wouldn't say that. There's still over 40 games left and you never know what happens. I'm doing good right now and I want to keep that up, but I wouldn't call myself #1. All I know is that if I have a bad game, I have to recover and keep going. (this kind of phrase, translation is a bit awkward, hope you get it)

Q: I heard you're not such a good friends with Howard anymore.
A: That's true. Everybody wants to play. When we used to split games things were different beetween us.

Q: Besides you, NHL has put among Vezina candidates also Holtby from Washington and Luongo from Florida. Do you agree with those picks?
A: Yeah. Holtby is doing great. Washington leads the NHL and outplays most of the teams. He's obvious first choice. Luongo is very long time in the league, has over 900 games under his belt and had some fantastic games recently. Florida is high in the standing thx to him and he takes credit for their win streak too.

Q: Would you pick anybody else?
A: Lundqvist and Quick for sure. And Michael Neuwirth. If he had more playtime in Philly, he had chance to be among the candidates. He's palying great leads the entire league in %.

Q: Maybe that's why the national team goalie coach Petr Jaros said recently that you two are his top two picks for World Cup right now.
A: Did he say that? That's nice. World Cup is gonna be something special and I hope to be there.

Q: And the head coach Vujtek said he'd like to see you at World Championship in Russia too.
A: WC is awesome, everybody has a dream to play for his country, but I hope to be here playing for Stanley Cup and possibly win it for Detroit.

Q: Like Dominik Hašek. Do they ask you about him in America? Or compare you two?
A: Sometimes. Ppl remember him, 'cause he won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings. SO I sometimes hear this.

Q: That must be pelasant to here, is it?
A: It is, but Hasek is only one. The style he played. Nobody is gonna play that way ever again.

Q: Well, in 20 years they could be saying "Mrazek is only one..."
A: Would be cool, yeah? I'll do my best.

Last edited:

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
A: That's true. Everybody wants to play. When we used to split games things were different beetween us.

Wait, what? Anyone know anything more about this?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Hey guys. I had some spare time, so I decided to translate for you this interview with Petr which was made by the journalist in reaction to the article OP is mentioning. Hope you enjoy.

original source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/petr-mrazek-detroit-rozhovor-d26-/nhl.aspx?c=A160120_212204_nhl_ten

There is small intro about the NHL article I didn't translate, it's not improtant. Excuse possible mistakes, it might not be perfect.

Q: Do you have tuxedo?
A: Yes, but for such thing I would buy a new one. But there are still many goalies with great stats in NHL. Little things will make the difference and I don't count to get my hands on Vezina trophy.

Q: NHL.com speaks about your aggressive style, which is forcing you to make spectacular saves. And about your good mobility. What do you think about that?
A: I don't have that many crazy saves anymore. I think they remember how I won the poll for the best save of the season last year. But that was just luck. I left my stick there and the guy hit it. But I have to say my playstyle changed over past 3 years. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be, which helped my game. I try to wait more and make the save when I see the player's move.

Q: Why did this change happen?
A: Experience. With every game I'm learning something new and figuring out the game in NHL.

Q: NHL.com then says the only stat that could be better for Mrazek are the games played, but he's gonna get even more playtime at the expense of long term starter Jimmy Howard. What do you think about that?
A: I played 15 games of the last 18. I'm glad that I'm the front-runner right now and I hope it to stay that way.

Q: Are you #1 already?
A: I wouldn't say that. There's still over 40 games left and you never know what happens. I'm doing good right now and I want to keep that up, but I wouldn't call myself #1. All I know is that if I have a bad game, I have to recover and keep going. (this kind of phrase, translation is a bit awkward, hope you get it)

Q: Besides you, NHL has put among Vezina candidates also Holtby from Washington and Luongo from Florida. Do you agree with those picks?
A: Yeah. Holtby is doing great. Washington leads the NHL and outplays most of the teams. He's obvious first choice. Luongo is very long time in the league, has over 900 games under his belt and had some fantastic games recently. Florida is high in the standing thx to him and he takes credit for their win streak too.

Q: Would you pick anybody else?
A: Lundqvist and Quick for sure. And Michael Neuwirth. If he had more playtime in Philly, he had chance to be among the candidates. He's palying great leads the entire league in %.

Q: Maybe that's why the national team goalie coach Petr Jaros said recently that you two are his top two picks for World Cup right now.
A: Did he say that? That's nice. World Cup is gonna be something special and I hope to be there.

Q: And the head coach Vujtek said he'd like to see you at World Championship in Russia too.
A: WC is awesome, everybody has a dream to play for his country, but I hope to be here playing for Stanley Cup and possibly win it for Detroit.

Q: Like Dominik Hašek. Do they ask you about him in America? Or compare you two?
A: Sometimes. Ppl remember him, 'cause he won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings. SO I sometimes hear this.

Q: That must be pelasant to here, is it?
A: It is, but Hasek is only one. The style he played. Nobody is gonna play that way ever again.

Q: Well, in 20 years they could be saying "Mrazek is only one..."
A: Would be cool, yeah? I'll do my best.

Thank you much mate. Good Read.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Wait, what? Anyone know anything more about this?

Yeah that's what stuck out to me too. I wonder what happened behind the scenes to make that happen but I didn't expect something like that. I guess Jimmy can't handle being a backup. Oh well. It definitely increases our odds of trading him which is good...hopefully he can regain some value in his starts.

Also thank you so much Zorz this was a great read and I appreciate the work.

Petr seems like a great kid. He's trying very hard to stay modest which is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad