Confirmed with Link: Petr Mrazek signed 1 year, 1.5M

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Even when Mrazeks save percentage was hovering around .900% , stats weren't telling the whole truth.

He was playing well and making key saves at key times all season

I've seen that said a few times. But prior to his recent 10 game stretch, where he's 8-2 with 3 shutouts, and playing amazing...He was 11-11-3. 3 games under .500 couldn't have been making enough "key saves." He let in a lot of mediocre goals. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He frequently gave up goals on shots that we saw McElhinney stop the night before.

10 games doesn't erase his first 25 games, let alone the last couple seasons. He still, to me, looks like Cam Ward 2.0. That's not bad. But he'll probably be a perennial bottom 10 starter if he's given the #1 spot in the future.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He's a career .910 goalie. Cam is a career .908 goalie. Checks out.

To me, the whole point of this exercise is "have a lot of options in goal because they're voodoo." Do not lock him up to a long multi-year deal. Give him a couple of years at $4m. If he doesn't bite, fine -- keep going through candidates.

Quantity has a quality all its own.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I've seen that said a few times. But prior to his recent 10 game stretch, where he's 8-2 with 3 shutouts, and playing amazing...He was 11-11-3. 3 games under .500 couldn't have been making enough "key saves." He let in a lot of mediocre goals. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He frequently gave up goals on shots that we saw McElhinney stop the night before.

10 games doesn't erase his first 25 games, let alone the last couple seasons. He still, to me, looks like Cam Ward 2.0. That's not bad. But he'll probably be a perennial bottom 10 starter if he's given the #1 spot in the future.
The way we suppress shots, we might not need much more than a bottom 10 starter. We ran into issues the last 5 or so years because our goaltending was 'worst in the league' levels of atrocious. Be prepared to keep around a quality backup, and that should be enough to actually contend going forward.

In my opinion, our money would be better suited in bolstering the forward lines, especially with the price any reasonably great goaltender would cost in free agency. Give Mrazek a 2 or 3 year deal and see if he can sustain it. I doubt he'll get a longer term deal anywhere else, but he's been too good here for us during the stretch to turn our backs on if he's willing to work it out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's pretty wild how differently mrazek and mac have gotten it done in such different ways with mrazek being a reflex goalie with a gambling pokecheck and mac being mr. fundamentals. it's actually been really helpful having such drastic style changes back there when the team has gone through periods of time adopting particular strengths and weaknesses. mac feels more mentally stable back there in games where the shot count stays low and mrazek seems to do better when he's seeing a lot of shots and gets to react and not overthink it. petr thrives in chaos and mac creates calmness. two very different goalies with almost identical results. if you expect a track meet, maybe play petr. if you expect a grind it out 25-25 shots for against type game put mac in there. it's a good balance to have both available. my hope is that we don't fall in love with the idea of giving either of these cats 3 or 4 years. divide $6 million (good starter money) between them how you deem fit for the next 2 years and evaluate later.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I'd offer Mrazek 2 years, at $3-3.5M per. Reward him for his play by doubling his salary and giving him a little insurance, but don't hinder the long term future of the club by giving a known inconsistent player a long term contract.

If he turns into a consistent goaltender during those two years, then you talk long term. If he turns into the Mrazek of old, it's not an impossible contract to get out of.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
OK, obviously I'm not dazzled by this, but there was literally nothing dazzling available. And I don't get the "money" argument. This is not a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it. A couple of people hit on the key above, and that's the term. We simply couldn't afford to sign a multi-year deal with a goalie who was not a sure thing. Worst-case coming out of all this would be having Hutton/Lehner/Halak *and* Darling signed through 2020-21 and still having sub .900 goaltending.

Even if we *had* gotten Grubauer and immediately signed him to the same deal Colorado gave him, now he's signed as long as Darling, and if he's not the solution, we're screwed. He's never been a No. 1 at the NHL level and tanked in the playoffs, so it's not like he came with any sort of guarantee.

We took a shot on a guy with NHL skills and NHL experience on a one-year "prove it" contract. IMO, it's the best we could have hoped for coming into today. Any better goalie would have required more term. And that's not something we should do right now.

I'm completely weirded out that we didn't take a shot at any of the European free agent goalies, so that's hard to understand from Canes management. But we could do worse than having two goalies who have had success at the NHL level, both feeling that they have something to prove after terrible seasons. Both these guys are decent people, who can't feel great about the way last season went. I'm willing to give them a shot to get themselves back on track.

As for Mrazek individually, if he sucks, we can easily waive his $1.5 million, one-year deal or bury him in the AHL and try to make a deal for Varlamov, Schneider or any other starter-turned-backup around the league. I don't get the feeling that we're tanking the season. There's upside here. And it's not like this is all set in stone. Things can change. If they're both 1-4 after 10 games, I have more confidence that this group with do something about it than the previous regime.

Hmm ... what are the odds? I actually come off pretty good here. Could be a surprise to some who thought I'd probably be advocating for mass suicide.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My post earlier in this thread just brings back bad memories.

All you guys *****ing about the goaltending situation can go **** yourselves. I had hoped to spend a nice 4th of July week at our farm, only to find the upstairs smells like sewer gas. So I spent the 95 degree day tearing walls apart to find the source (which was a bad elbow joint). Finding a few bees nests and mouse infested fiberglass insulation was just an added bonus.

The Mrazek signing sounds damn good to me right now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Maybe you think you're well positioned to know which option here is red, black, or green. Myself, I have no ****ing idea.

We can get all mad because we feel like Garbage Goalie A was SO MUCH BETTER than Garbage Goalies B C or D, but meh. At this point, all I can do is hope the Canes have a workable plan.

2hgx.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad