Confirmed with Link: Petr Mrazek signed 1 year, 1.5M

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I thought he was a poor signing given we had a failing goalie already, but this signing is close to already outperforming Waddell's or our wildest dreams. Just an amazing add, though it will remain to be seen what happens in free agency this offseason given everything we've been through with goalies.

Waddell claiming McElhinney then choosing to keep him and finally shitcanning Darling to the AHL is great as well. Obviously Dundon probably had to sign off on this as well, but either way he deserves some props for allowing our GM the ability to do so.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I think with Carolina's defense he will be better, wings had no defense and not sure how Philly compares but I know the canes will give him confidence.

Good prediction! :thumbu:

If Darling sucks (likely), the backup has to play a lot and play well to salvage the season. We know Ward can't do this. He'll get his hot streak ,then crash and burn. Mrazek might do this.

You hit the nail right on the head with this. :bow::hockey:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Cam Ward .893sv% vs Mrazek .909sv%. Some of the posts in this thread were unbelievably stupid at the time and look even worse now. It's amazing to watch it become accepted fact in this thread that we didn't sign Ward because we were too cheap, despite it never being reported anywhere that we had even negotiated with him or made him any sort of offer. Also despite it being confirmed that we had outbid Colorado for Grubauer (but Washington refused to trade within the division), who we presumably would have been paid a similar amount to what he got from Colorado (3M x 3) while also taking on Orpik's contract.

Like I said at the time, it's extremely possible that we simply let Ward walk because we were stuck with Darling and didn't want to go with the same goaltending tandem that failed us the year before. Mrazek was a gamble that could have turned out a disaster, but Ward was guaranteed to be mediocre at best.

Again I'm right in my analysis.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Cam Ward .893sv% vs Mrazek .909sv%. Some of the posts in this thread were unbelievably stupid at the time and look even worse now. It's amazing to watch it become accepted fact in this thread that we didn't sign Ward because we were too cheap, despite it never being reported anywhere that we had even negotiated with him or made him any sort of offer. Also despite it being confirmed that we had outbid Colorado for Grubauer (but Washington refused to trade within the division), who we presumably would have been paid a similar amount to what he got from Colorado (3M x 3) while also taking on Orpik's contract.

Like I said at the time, it's extremely possible that we simply let Ward walk because we were stuck with Darling and didn't want to go with the same goaltending tandem that failed us the year before. Mrazek was a gamble that could have turned out a disaster, but Ward was guaranteed to be mediocre at best.

Again I'm right in my analysis.

What have you become?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
In part I'll agree this was money driven. In that they will feel better burying 1.5M in Charlotte if needed. And no one could bury Ward in Charlotte.

At 1.5M I feel like there could still be another acquisition. But that's me being overly optimistic.

I'm pleased with this take.

I'm less pleased that my research of third goalies who could be available included Florida, Chicago, NJ, and LAK, but not Toronto.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Mrazek is only 19-16 with a .909 (27th). His play lately has obviously been off the charts, but he was rocking the sub .900 well into the season. This season has been very vintage Cam like. The difference from standard Canes seasons, is Mac has been beyond rock solid all season, so this late hotstreak matters, instead of it just ruining the draft position.

In hindsight, while we were complaining about no Plan C, it looks like the team probably knew who was going to be exposed on the wire heading into the season, and may have had a plan all along.

Going forward, it'll be interesting to see how much they are going to reward Mrazek for this 2 month stretch. Because a lot of mediocre goalies can get hot for a few weeks. Or maybe Mrazek just needed to transform into full jerk before finding his game, and this is who he is now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Mrazek is only 19-16 with a .909 (27th). His play lately has obviously been off the charts, but he was rocking the sub .900 well into the season. This season has been very vintage Cam like. The difference from standard Canes seasons, is Mac has been beyond rock solid all season, so this late hotstreak matters, instead of it just ruining the draft position.

In hindsight, while we were complaining about no Plan C, it looks like the team probably knew who was going to be exposed on the wire heading into the season, and may have had a plan all along.

Going forward, it'll be interesting to see how much they are going to reward Mrazek for this 2 month stretch. Because a lot of mediocre goalies can get hot for a few weeks. Or maybe Mrazek just needed to transform into full jerk before finding his game, and this is who he is now.

Jerk.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Mrazek is playing his best hockey as the stakes increase. Not sure what more we could ask out of a guy.

That said, its no mistake he is playing his best hockey when he's playing behind the best defense he's had. He doesn't have to do everything here to win, and its letting him play loose and free, and boy has he excelled at it. It certainly seems like this team and that goalie are a perfect match and we should prove it to him by giving him that extension.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think the key is, don't give him anything where we can't just somewhat safely use him as a backup. I'd probably try 3x3-3.5ish (I'd really try to draw the line at 3). Decent raise, might be usable as a backup/1B, takes care of expansion concerns. If he wants into Koskinen territory, **** off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad