Petition to retire #91 & #13

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I understand that, but at some point in the future you'll have to take some down or stop retiring them.

That's why I would propose having a wall or something somewhere in the arena dedicated to players whose jerseys were formerly retired. Make a plaque, bust, or something for every player that has their banner taken down. The season after their death you can have a patch that the players wear before having a removing of the banner/installation of plaque ceremony during the last game of the regular season.

I believe other teams started 'honouring' numbers.

Plus a team only goes through maybe 30-35 players during an entire season, you can keep retiring numbers for a long time. Doubt many teams will be retiring 60+ jerseys any time soon.

If the Wings do go on that 'honouring' path, Vlady should be the first to go. His number is already unofficially retired.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You are right, he should have retired and left Detroit with the cap penalty (35+). That is a joke BTW, just incase its not bloody obvious.

Get over it, Chayka did the Wings a favour, dumping Datsyuk's contract literally cost them nothing.

Oh no Detroit drops 4 spots in draft (got Cholowski their current D prospect) and received a 2nd round pick (Hronek).

BTW, that hot stuff Chychurn that Phoenix traded up for, hasn't exactly excelled at the NHL level yet. He had 14 points in 50 games while logging 5th most minutes on the blue line in Phoenix.

Why don't you knock on Ralfalski's door for retiring with an active contract as well.

what the hell are you on about? i've never even wanted Chychrun

here's an idea,maybe if he wanted to go back to Russia so damn bad he shouldn't have f***ing insisted on a 3 year contract?

just because there happened to be a team willing to clean up the mess he left for a reasonable price doesn't magically make it okay when we're talking about retiring a f***ing number

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You are right, he should have retired and left Detroit with the cap penalty (35+). That is a joke BTW, just incase its not bloody obvious.

Get over it, Chayka did the Wings a favour, dumping Datsyuk's contract literally cost them nothing.

Oh no Detroit drops 4 spots in draft (got Cholowski their current D prospect) and received a 2nd round pick (Hronek).

BTW, that hot stuff Chychurn that Phoenix traded up for, hasn't exactly excelled at the NHL level yet. He had 14 points in 50 games while logging 5th most minutes on the blue line in Phoenix.

Why don't you knock on Ralfalski's door for retiring with an active contract as well.
Rafalski retired because his knees were so bad he could no longer play hockey. There was no cap penalty then and he left millions of dollars on the table.

Datsyuk broke an existing contract to go play in another league. And they basically had to force him to even play the second year on that contract. This is nothing like Rafalski.

Datsyuk was a great player for the Wings and I still like the guy. But that doesn't change that the way he left the Wings was pretty messy.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Datsyuk left when we were bad, when he was past his prime and went back to Russia. I have no real issue with Pavel getting honored.

Fedorov tried to force his way off a top contender while in his prime. Tried to financially break Ilitch in order to go.

To have an issue with Pavel but not Sergei makes me believe you'd have to have been too young to remember Fedorov's antics here and just know him from highlight reels. He was a ******* who didn't want to be here and went to excessive lengths to try and force his way out of Detroit. You don't reward that with a legacy honor of a number in the rafters. At most I'd show respect to the caliber of player he was and him being in the HOF by taking #91 out of circulation, unofficially retire it if you will.

Fedorov tried to break a literal billionaire financially? Okay.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Athletic has an article on Sergei's chances, and so long as Jimmy D is in town it looks like a firm no.

Yeah I think Jimmy D is a big barrier for Fedorov. I cannot tell if he is doing that out of loyalty to the Ilitch family and being the fall guy or he really is advising them against it behind closed doors or I guess a combination of both could be in play. We know through interviews and such that Holland doesn't seem to mind the topic. Jimmy D all these years later still stormed out of the room when asked to talk on him... Chris Ilitch wasn't nearly as down on it as Devellano either which seems interesting.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
what the hell are you on about? i've never even wanted Chychrun

here's an idea,maybe if he wanted to go back to Russia so damn bad he shouldn't have ****ing insisted on a 3 year contract?

just because there happened to be a team willing to clean up the mess he left for a reasonable price doesn't magically make it okay when we're talking about retiring a ****ing number

Holland insisted on a 3 year deal.

Datsyuk wanted a 1 year deal.

Chychrun was the high impact D prospect people were clammering for at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad