Petition to retire #91 & #13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Since KH has already stated #40/Z will go up to the rafters at LCA, why not petition the DRW to retire Fedorov (long overdue) & Datsyuk as well.

They could retire Z & or Feds this year for mktg., then #13 next year. Fans will need reasons to buy merchandise/tickets etc. by Jan/Feb. with the upcoming season bound to be a bottom 5ish finish.

Mods: if this has already been proposed, please delete or not, thanks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think both Dats & Zetts should go together.

Don't know what to do with Fedorov. It's a tricky one.

Pavel played 100% of his games (953 games) as a Red Wing, Fedorov 73% (908 games).

Both ejected out, but 100% Red Wing comes always first.

I always loved Fedorov. Nothing against him. Forever Red Wing in NHL just matters.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fedorov is one of the greatest NHL players of all time. At the time he left, it was bitter, but that time is over.

We could wait another 75 years before seeing players like Fedorov and Datsyuk. Such an easy decision to me.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
While #13 & #40 going up together would be amazing, they each deserve their own special night & DRW would mtkg. dept. would probably concur. All 3 should go up by end of 2019 at the lastest.

Reactions: lilidk

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, if Dats and Z are going up, they're going up different nights. They were both far more than just the Eurotwins. To put them up in one ceremony just seems wrong to me. Like it would diminish their own individual contributions. The whole reason why people wanted Tram and Lou combined is that Trammell and Whitaker were either on the edge of the Hall (Tram) or 5% in his first year of voting and done (Lou). It was necessary for the argument that they should be honored. Datsyuk and Z are both good enough to stand on their own merits.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think both Dats & Zetts should go together.

Don't know what to do with Fedorov. It's a tricky one.

Pavel played 100% of his games (953 games) as a Red Wing, Fedorov 73% (908 games).

Both ejected out, but 100% Red Wing comes always first.

I always loved Fedorov. Nothing against him. Forever Red Wing in NHL just matters.

Fedorov left as a free agent

Datsyuk bailed on an active contract

what Datsyuk did will always be a million times worse to me and i'll be downright insulted if he gets his number retired before Fedorov,and honestly Datsyuk's number probably shouldn't be retired at all

lots of teams have retired numbers of players that have gone to other teams in free agency in the twilight of their careers(look at like half of Montreal's retired numbers for examle)

how many teams have retired numbers of players that have done anything remotely similar to what Datsyuk did?

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Oh, FFS, how long is this dead horse going to be beaten? Why anyone cares or would actually thinking about a petition for a number retirement? Seriously? It's like getting riled up over All Star games, HOF nominees or stupid polls.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh, FFS, how long is this dead horse going to be beaten? Why anyone cares or would actually thinking about a petition for a number retirement? Seriously? It's like getting riled up over All Star games, HOF nominees or stupid polls.

The kind of people that watch hockey several times a week, travel to NHL games, and then make hundreds of posts on hockey message boards. Hi, I'm Bench, and I like hockey.

Let's not confuse caring about the Red Wings and the sport has elevated it as important in the grand scheme of life. Of course not. But this is our entertainment and our community. Part of the reason I enjoy talking sports is because you can have a very rousing debate and ultimately none of it matters. Politics and the like have serious real world consequences. This? It's fun and games. That's the appeal after dealing with all the serious stuff throughout the day.

Join me on this magical journey of table flipping.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The kind of people that watch hockey several times a week, travel to NHL games, and then make hundreds of posts on hockey message boards. Hi, I'm Bench, and I like hockey.

Let's not confuse caring about the Red Wings and the sport has elevated it as important in the grand scheme of life. Of course not. But this is our entertainment and our community. Part of the reason I enjoy talking sports is because you can have a very rousing debate and ultimately none of it matters. Politics and the like have serious real world consequences. This? It's fun and games. That's the appeal after dealing with all the serious stuff throughout the day.

Join me on this magical journey of table flipping.

:clap:

I regret that I have only one "like" to give to this post.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Never on Fedorov. He worked on a poison pill contract with Pete Karmanos to force his way out - at a time when Ilitch's finances were very dicey and his whole empire was at real risk.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Never on Fedorov. He worked on a poison pill contract with Pete Karmanos to force his way out - at a time when Ilitch's finances were very dicey and his whole empire was at real risk.
Do you have a link for this?

I remember the offer sheet fiasco but not hearing anything about Ilitch's empire being at risk.

Reactions: Sentinel

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't understand why leaving as a free agent to play for direct competition is better than retiring in your late 30s to go home half way across the world.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Do you have a link for this?

I remember the offer sheet fiasco but not hearing anything about Ilitch's empire being at risk.

No link. I heard it discussed on the radio not too long ago though (during Fedorov HOF discussion and if his number should be retired). If I am remembering the story correctly Little Caesars was struggling big time, and Ilitches were building Comerica Park with private money and were highly leveraged and couldn't get more loans - Ilitches uses personal money to pay the Fedorov up front money poison pill - $28M, when the rest of the Red Wings made 28M that season.

Ilitch and Karmanos were bitter rivals at the time and Karmanos' intent wasn't simply to improve his hockey team. He wanted to hurt Ilitch, if not destroy him and Fedorov was happy to go along with it.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
No link. I heard it discussed on the radio not too long ago though (during Fedorov HOF discussion and if his number should be retired). If I am remembering the story correctly Little Caesars was struggling big time, and Ilitches were building Comerica Park with private money and were highly leveraged and couldn't get more loans - Ilitches uses personal money to pay the Fedorov up front money poison pill - $28M, when the rest of the Red Wings made 28M that season.

Ilitch and Karmanos were bitter rivals at the time and Karmanos' intent wasn't simply to improve his hockey team. He wanted to hurt Ilitch, if not destroy him and Fedorov was happy to go along with it.
If true, it's highly personal and given that it's a family owned franchise, will probably never go up while they own the team.

But I haven't heard anything like that for Datsyuk. It was kind of a crappy move, but I've also read accounts that Holland pressured Datsyuk into the 3 year contract. Obviously Datsyuk's a big boy and can say no, but I say that only to say Holland should have known it was coming and so should the ownership. If he's that hesitant to sign the deal, and he's always been open about playing out his final years in Russia, and he's got family there, and he's over 35.... probably a safe bet he's not going to play out the entire contract. Plus it's not like we were a competitive team anyway.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I definitely know that there was bad blood between Karmanos and Ilitch, but don't remember hearing that about Ilitches financial situation at the time. They broke ground on Comerica Park in 1997 and almost half of it was financed by the city. They got $60+ million for naming rights. The Wings were in their heyday, selling out games, long playoff runs (Ilitch got almost all the proceeds from games at Joe Louis Arena).

Either way, that's a long time ago and business is business. If anything Ilitch should've been impressed with Fedorov's negotiating tactics. Ilitch wasn't counting on the offer sheet for sure but he was underbidding Fedorov's worth at the time. For all his glory Ilitch also put the screws to the city when he bought the Red Wings and got a sweetheart deal not to take the team to play in the suburbs. Then he got an even better deal having his new arena financed by a bankrupt city.

Fedorov was a game changer, one of the best to wear the Winged Wheel and a huge part of those three Cups. His number deserves to be in the rafters.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
If true, it's highly personal and given that it's a family owned franchise, will probably never go up while they own the team.

But I haven't heard anything like that for Datsyuk. It was kind of a crappy move, but I've also read accounts that Holland pressured Datsyuk into the 3 year contract. Obviously Datsyuk's a big boy and can say no, but I say that only to say Holland should have known it was coming and so should the ownership. If he's that hesitant to sign the deal, and he's always been open about playing out his final years in Russia, and he's got family there, and he's over 35.... probably a safe bet he's not going to play out the entire contract. Plus it's not like we were a competitive team anyway.

As you point out, Datsyuk is a grown man and could've said no. Holland deserves no blame for pressuring Datsyuk into a contract. It's not like he regretted buying a car or something. It was a 3-year $22.5 million deal. You have to consider what you're signing.

If Holland thought Dats wouldn't finish the contract it was likely that he'd LTIRetire, not that he'd break the contract and go play in Russia. The fact of the matter is Datsyuk's actions hurt the team. He broke his word. He broke a contract.

I'm not really mad at him for it but I think people let him off easy because of what a great player he was and how he seemed like a nice guy. That being said I don't think him breaking his contract should be a limiting factor in his jersey retirement.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As you point out, Datsyuk is a grown man and could've said no. Holland deserves no blame for pressuring Datsyuk into a contract. It's not like he regretted buying a car or something. It was a 3-year $22.5 million deal. You have to consider what you're signing.

If Holland thought Dats wouldn't finish the contract it was likely that he'd LTIRetire, not that he'd break the contract and go play in Russia. The fact of the matter is Datsyuk's actions hurt the team. He broke his word. He broke a contract.

I'm not really mad at him for it but I think people let him off easy because of what a great player he was and how he seemed like a nice guy. That being said I don't think him breaking his contract should be a limiting factor in his jersey retirement.

Keep in mind Datsyuk entered negotiations asking for 5 years.

I have and will always have a much bigger problem with what Datsyuk did than Fedorov.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Keep in mind Datsyuk entered negotiations asking for 5 years.

I have and will always have a much bigger problem with what Datsyuk did than Fedorov.

Wow. I actually didn't know or didn't remember that.

And there's that Kenny basically had to lean on him to get Datsyuk to even play the second year of his contract by making the deal that he wouldn't try to fight him playing in the KHL if Datsyuk walked after finishing 2 of the 3 seasons.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't understand why leaving as a free agent to play for direct competition is better than retiring in your late 30s to go home half way across the world.

Because the Detroit Red Wings twice decided to pull contracts he was deliberating on them. They played a large role in him leaving and knew the turmoil his life was in. But because of past negotiations they didn't really care. But that had both sides going at it and by rules he was free to leave when their shenanigans backfired.

Frankly Fedorov's leaving made the ability to navigate the lockout trim down easier. Heck Datsyuk himself might have been one of the casualties of Fedorov being on a trimmed down 10 million per coming out of the lockout.

Fedorov didn't leave them with a penalty, he didn't ask for five years, eventually get three and then months after signing a contract tell them he actually wanted to leave. He is also still playing in Russia so his ability to play hockey after the expiration of his contract isn't really in doubt anymore either. That and keep in mind the way he mailed in the end of that season and playoffs, announcing he was leaving through Albom, his whole exit was a disaster. Because people love Datsyuk he has been forgiven by tons of people, but he put the Wings in a tough spot and his final act was betrayal according to some around the team. Custance and Gave talked about this on Custance's podcast. I have linked it before but they talk about both Fedorov and Datsyuk with neither guy sounding likely of ever seeing this honor. It is what it is. Don't anger the people that hold the rights to do that, actions have consequences in life.

Reactions: Fynn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->