Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Has anyone heard if it’s a sell out ?
Porter Martone usually fills the place

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
Why am I seeing all this negativity on here? Everyone on here was excited at trade deadline of the pieces brought in for the future of this team! It’s not going to happen over night. The “power play” that was scored on last night was 4 16 year olds and a 17 year old. What else can we expect? As I’ve said since the trades I feel terrible for the remaining players from last years championship team to have to stay and endure this “rebuild” but I’m sure their mentorship will be valuable for these young inexperienced players. The coaching staff have a lot of work to do but if we can try remain patient and positive I’m sure in a year from now we’ll look back and say the pain of witnessing the rebuild was worth it! In the mean time if the coaches want points to make the playoffs they may have to scrap the idea of placing a 16 year old on every line and build a true top 6 to try win games.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Rob Wilson is a pro level coach that's coaching in JR to be close to home.
I bet you 19 other teams would love to have him.
He's trying to teach 5 07's and 3 06's how to play responsibly still to mold this team. -This does not happen overnight. It's literally only been a couple weeks lol.
How many other teams are playing 5 2007s right now?
I feel like anyone who thinks the grass would be greener without Oke and Wilson are casual fans that don't see the big picture to be honest.
Remember how bad this team was in 2021? -There is a cycle in JR and the Petes are well suited to be a contender again in a year or 2.

Ogie Junior

Apr 6, 2020
Why am I seeing all this negativity on here? Everyone on here was excited at trade deadline of the pieces brought in for the future of this team! It’s not going to happen over night. The “power play” that was scored on last night was 4 16 year olds and a 17 year old. What else can we expect? As I’ve said since the trades I feel terrible for the remaining players from last years championship team to have to stay and endure this “rebuild” but I’m sure their mentorship will be valuable for these young inexperienced players. The coaching staff have a lot of work to do but if we can try remain patient and positive I’m sure in a year from now we’ll look back and say the pain of witnessing the rebuild was worth it! In the mean time if the coaches want points to make the playoffs they may have to scrap the idea of placing a 16 year old on every line and build a true top 6 to try win games.
Unless they actually value the lottery pick more then a handful of playoff games.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Lack of talent.
Or did you mean lack of talent behind the bench?

I sit close to the bench and I seriously have to question Oke’s abilities -seems he doesn’t know what is going on.

So far it seems he is just a lot of bluster , shouting screaming,flopping around and carrying on but no real coaching. He sure puts on a ridiculous show.

Hopefully I am totally wrong about him

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Yes. He gets results and it's mostly terrible hockey to watch, I've been consistent in my thoughts on this including in last year's playoff run.
The brand of hockey that wins Championship and the brand that provides optimal entertainment value unfortunately don't coincide. 90% of committed fan bases enjoy winning more than the pure hockey product. Quite honestly many fans are oblivious to the difference, they barely grasp the basic principles of offside and icing.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Unless they actually value the lottery pick more then a handful of playoff games.
Well during every intermission interview from the players, they mention the goal of making the playoffs so I assume the coaching staff is encouraging that but I wonder if that goes all the way up the food chain to Oke, Lorentz etc

Reactions: Ogie Junior

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The brand of hockey that wins Championship and the brand that provides optimal entertainment value unfortunately don't coincide. 90% of committed fan bases enjoy winning more than the pure hockey product. Quite honestly many fans are oblivious to the difference, they barely grasp the basic principles of offside and icing.
Yeah and I appreciate that, I know I differ from every one here on my opinion of Wilson as a coach. He did a great job in the playoffs and his old school style will probably always play in the playoffs. It's just ugly hockey.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah and I appreciate that, I know I differ from every one here on my opinion of Wilson as a coach. He did a great job in the playoffs and his old school style will probably always play in the playoffs. It's just ugly hockey.
I don’t disagree in the least, the funny thing is I don’t think that style translates to the NHL. The players are just too skilled and don’t put up with the old school mentality anymore.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
There’s not much talent in the older players. Pushing all the young guys down the lineup and cutting their ice time won’t win any games and will hurt their development.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
1707688954810.png

• Haha
Reactions: Zebra

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Short term pain will be worth the end result. The second half was going to to be painful no matter what we did.
I agree -and I love our young team.

I am always so proud of the “no quit” attitude

I am just a touch worried that losing!so many games like this will destroy their confidence and affect their play long term.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Confidence is low for sure. Wilson hasn’t coached a non-contender/super young team at the Junior level before right? This is an adjustment for Wilson and the coaches too. But If we can develop the six 16 year olds to their potential we’ll be very good come 2025-26. at this years draft we need a high skilled sniper because we have few natural goal scorers in this bunch.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
What we witnessed yesterday was an example of a young team being served a slice of humble pie. We also witnessed the best coach in the league out coaching the Petes. Brantford doesn’t have that much talent but he knows how to maximize what he can get from his group. He has the Petes system figured out to a T. And Wilson never adapts to his opponent. Lesson learned for everyone involved on the Petes side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad