Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
What we witnessed yesterday was an example of a young team being served a slice of humble pie. We also witnessed the best coach in the league out coaching the Petes. Brantford doesn’t have that much talent but he knows how to maximize what he can get from his group. He has the Petes system figured out to a T. And Wilson never adapts to his opponent. Lesson learned for everyone involved on the Petes side.

Hamilton have 6 players on their roster drafted by NHL teams, 3 overagers and 7 19 year olds turning 20 this year. That's a pretty stacked lineup when you compare it to the Petes rookie lineup. Brantford are right up there in the standings for a reason. Let's be careful pointing fingers unless you can compare apples to apples. Did Wilson suddenly lose his coaching ability in one year?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I
Hamilton have 6 players on their roster drafted by NHL teams, 3 overagers and 7 19 year olds turning 20 this year. That's a pretty stacked lineup when you compare it to the Petes rookie lineup. Brantford are right up there in the standings for a reason. Let's be careful pointing fingers unless you can compare apples to apples. Did Wilson suddenly lose his coaching ability in one year?
I love it when people can produced cold hard facts that support their view and you did a great job here.

You make such a good point regarding the age -it’s like our lads are a bunch of puppies out there trying to play with the big dogs.

Our lads are going to grow into the big dogs but right now older teams have the advantage.

Until you presented your facts -I had not realized what an age advantage Brantford has over our team.

Nicely presented

Well done @Petesfan8

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Anyone think we'll get to see Rye start a home game this season? I honestly can't figure out why he hasn't yet. If Wilson is afraid to put a rookie in, it doesn't sense because it doesn't matter. Playoffs aren't happening. And no matter who is in net, they're facing 50 shots a game, so they're being thrown to the wolves every single game. Why not give Rye a start? He got the win over London. Let's give him a shot in front of the hometown fans.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Anyone think we'll get to see Rye start a home game this season? I honestly can't figure out why he hasn't yet. If Wilson is afraid to put a rookie in, it doesn't sense because it doesn't matter. Playoffs aren't happening. And no matter who is in net, they're facing 50 shots a game, so they're being thrown to the wolves every single game. Why not give Rye a start? He got the win over London. Let's give him a shot in front of the hometown fans.
Lakefield isn't too far away from you guys i think. Isn't he getting some starts there?

Reactions: OHL Observer

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Lakefield isn't too far away from you guys i think. Isn't he getting some starts there?
He has been. I just figure with a month left in the season, and any playoff hope vanished, might as well give all 3 goalies a chance and at least give Rye one home start. Not sure what there is to lose. Unless they've decided he's not a part of their plans.

Lock and Lansdowne

Jun 30, 2022
He has been. I just figure with a month left in the season, and any playoff hope vanished, might as well give all 3 goalies a chance and at least give Rye one home start. Not sure what there is to lose. Unless they've decided he's not a part of their plans.
Andrew Verner has said in the past he likes to get new goalies playing on the road at first. Less pressure on the goalie.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
Andrew Verner has said in the past he likes to get new goalies playing on the road at first. Less pressure on the goalie.
That does make sense. And I think Rye handled the pressure of a sold out Budweiser Gardens very well for a young goalie. At this point playing in front of 3000 Petes fans should be a walk in the park for him. I’m all for slowly getting goalies experience. But we have every 16 year old in the province getting experience now why not start giving the 17 year old goalie more time so he’s ready when it counts the next couple seasons. My guess is it’s Bowens net next year and possibly Ryes net for championship season! Am I wrong to think that? I guess time will tell.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
My understanding is he is an affiliate player. I don’t know how many more games he is eligible to be in the lineup. My understanding is affiliate goaltenders are allowed to be in the lineup for 20 games.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
My understanding is he is an affiliate player. I don’t know how many more games he is eligible to be in the lineup. My understanding is affiliate goaltenders are allowed to be in the lineup for 20 games.
exactly - can only play limited games on ap card

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I believe it's the same for goalies and players - 10 games. The exception is that a goalie dressed as a backup does not count as a game played unless they go in the crease.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Having seen Petes vs Guelph on Thursday and then on TV last night, this is a resilient group that keeps in games when they don't have any business dong so. Outshot heavily in every game, the goaltending has been amazing and the Defense steady with lots of blocked shots and clogging up the middle of the ice. Last night's win against a veteran Fronts team was sweet.

I happen to be reading a book on Roger Neilson right now and his defense-first systems remain to this day. These kids are learning how to play responsibly, win faceoffs (we did well against Dubois last night on the front) and always play hard and physical - it's 50 years of Roger Neilson hockey.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I wish we could put Cameron and Addy’s drive, maturity and discipline into Taylor. Kid has the skill set to be a stud but needs to mature and turn his motor on.

Is it me or does Melee look disengaged at times?

Last edited:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I wish we could I still Cameron and Addy’s drive, maturity and discipline into Taylor. Kid has the skill set to be a stud but needs to mature and turn his motor on.

Is it me or does Melee look disengaged at times?
Agree about Melee. There's been a couple of games recently where I've actually had to check to make sure he's playing. Not sure what's going on, but he's frequently been a bit invisible lately.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I've been impressed with this group since the trade deadline. Kudos goes out to the goaltending and defense who do their best to limit the high % chances.
Rarely do the coaches get credit for a team's success but let's stop for a second and give the Petes coaching staff a pat on the back.
Very resilient and hard-working group, not flashy but gritty and up-and-coming. Give this group another year or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad