Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw has the draft picks but are short on good young players but have a couple that might interest the Petes. The only issue is do they have 2nd in this upcoming draft? I am sure acquiring one is a priority for the Petes. London likely does not have the draft picks to make a trade for him. They only have two 2nds over the next four drafts and they both are in 2026. They do have five, 3rds in those drafts. They also do not have a 16 or 17 player drafted in the 1st round that they are willing to trade. They do have two good 17 year old forwards but I am not sure they are willing to trade either.

The Sudbury Wolves have the draft picks and there are a couple of forwards and one defenceman that Petes would take one of them in a trade for Beck. Sault Ste has limited draft picks and likely can only make one or two trades two of their 2nds are in 2024 and they have a couple of young players the Petes would likely take in a trade. I think they could be the front runner to be able to get Owen Beck. Guelph has the draft picks but none in the upcoming draft. I am not sure what players they have the Petes would be interested in.

The Kitchener Rangers likely don’t have the assets to make a trade for Owen Beck as they only have one, 2nd and two, 3rds over the next four years however the 2nd and one of the 3rds are in 2024 and they do have a couple of players the Petes would likely take in a trade. I think the front runners for his services are first Sault Ste Marie, second Sudbury and third Saginaw.

Is there an echo in here?

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
I’m gonna start the trade deadline conversation. We’re officially less than a month away from trade deadline. The question remains what are the Petes doing? I believe they should look at building the next wave around Carson Cameron. Who could they trade from current roster and what exactly do the Petes need to start the “rebuild”? Draft picks for 2024 and 2025. Perhaps pick up some solid 07 or 06 players/prospects. I’m curious to see what everyone thinks should/will happen? Steelheads made it clear they are building towards a run next season with top end 05’s and 06’s. Should the Petes go for 06/07’s? Or 07/08’s?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m gonna start the trade deadline conversation. We’re officially less than a month away from trade deadline. The question remains what are the Petes doing? I believe they should look at building the next wave around Carson Cameron. Who could they trade from current roster and what exactly do the Petes need to start the “rebuild”? Draft picks for 2024 and 2025. Perhaps pick up some solid 07 or 06 players/prospects. I’m curious to see what everyone thinks should/will happen? Steelheads made it clear they are building towards a run next season with top end 05’s and 06’s. Should the Petes go for 06/07’s? Or 07/08’s?

I’ve been waiting for someone to start trade deadline speculation for the Petes. FINALLY!

I may need some time to figure this out.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i dont think it will be a very strong market either. i get a feeling that outside of saginaw, there won't be too many high end buyers. the soo is another high end buyer but they will not and should not move martin. sudbury will be a high end buyer too, i can see them throwing everything at beck now that i think about it. owen sound seems to have righted the ship, but don't need beck and if they did move an asset, it would be for a top d.

lots of teams in that evil in between, teams like brantford, peterborough, guelph , ottawa, north bay, kingston that could sell or buy, but either don't have high end assets or are playing too well to move any of them.

could be a year of just some soft middle trades.

for what its worth i do see the petes moving beck and smith, and i can see either sudbury or saginaw going for him. i think both are very motivated buyers.

guelph and hamilton have the best two d in donovan and buchinger, if they are on the market.

sarnia will probably sell anything they can, good 04s but not the high end guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i dont think it will be a very strong market either. i get a feeling that outside of saginaw, there won't be too many high end buyers. the soo is another high end buyer but they will not and should not move martin. sudbury will be a high end buyer too, i can see them throwing everything at beck now that i think about it. owen sound seems to have righted the ship, but don't need beck and if they did move an asset, it would be for a top d.

lots of teams in that evil in between, teams like brantford, peterborough, guelph , ottawa, north bay, kingston that could sell or buy, but either don't have high end assets or are playing too well to move any of them.

could be a year of just some soft middle trades.

for what its worth i do see the petes moving beck and smith, and i can see either sudbury or saginaw going for him. i think both are very motivated buyers.

guelph and hamilton have the best two d in donovan and buchinger, if they are on the market.

sarnia will probably sell anything they can, good 04s but not the high end guys.

Saginaw is solid won the middle. They have a potential two year run. I don’t think Beck is a good fit for them considering this. Why trade for Beck only to move Haight to the wing? Why not just go get a winger at half the cost, preserve assets for next year? I know they are Memorial Cup hosts and all but I see no reason to add needlessly when the cost of acquisition is potentially so high. The Spirit have all the main components. In my mind, all they need is to nibble at the fringes, add some depth and maybe snag one more top 4 D-Man and a scoring winger with some size.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Saginaw is solid won the middle. They have a potential two year run. I don’t think Beck is a good fit for them considering this. Why trade for Beck only to move Haight to the wing? Why not just go get a winger at half the cost, preserve assets for next year? I know they are Memorial Cup hosts and all but I see no reason to add needlessly when the cost of acquisition is potentially so high. The Spirit have all the main components. In my mind, all they need is to nibble at the fringes, add some depth and maybe snag one more top 4 D-Man and a scoring winger with some size.
hosing is putting alot of pressure on them to be the best in the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
hosing is putting alot of pressure on them to be the best in the league.

I guess the point is whether acquiring Beck makes them the best team or acquiring a scoring winger, a top 4 D-Man, and an additional depth player with grit for the same total assets makes them better.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I guess the point is whether acquiring Beck makes them the best team or acquiring a scoring winger, a top 4 D-Man, and an additional depth player with grit for the same total assets makes them better.
i think they need a d, will bishop is an average at best defender, and they play parekh too much for an all out offensive 17 year old. against teams like london and owen sound he will be grind down in a 7 game series. i think they will be like sarnia last year, probably don't need to go after the top guy but will because they can.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i think they need a d, will bishop is an average at best defender, and they play parekh too much for an all out offensive 17 year old. against teams like london and owen sound he will be grind down in a 7 game series. i think they will be like sarnia last year, probably don't need to go after the top guy but will because they can.

We shall see which direction they go. I would hate to see them needlessly throw the kitchen sink at this tear and sacrifice next years team that could be even better.

I guess it will come down to what names actually enter the market. If a player “like” Barlow (unlikely) were to enter the market as an 18 year old, I think using their 2023 1st on a two year player would be of higher value than a half year rental.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
We shall see which direction they go. I would hate to see them needlessly throw the kitchen sink at this tear and sacrifice next years team that could be even better.

I guess it will come down to what names actually enter the market. If a player “like” Barlow (unlikely) were to enter the market as an 18 year old, I think using their 2023 1st on a two year player would be of higher value than a half year rental.
Goal one is winning an OHL title. They have zero interest in going in back door. Lazary has said as much. I think the fans are more interested (myself included) in a 2 year run than the team is.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Goal one is winning an OHL title. They have zero interest in going in back door. Lazary has said as much. I think the fans are more interested (myself included) in a 2 year run than the team is.

I can see that but I guess it is a rehash of what we discussed on the Saggy board. Is it better to add the perceived best player at the same cost of adding three impactful pieces to fill in other gaps? Is the addition of three players at the same cost of one better in the aggregate?

I know many would suggest top heavy is better but I would suggest Saggy is already top heavy. It isn’t often a top team has all the main foundation pieces in place. They have two top centres, a three top wingers including an elite young “exceptional status” winger all at over a point per game. They have a solid 3rd line centre that plays wel defensively and chips in a a half point per game. They have the key offensive D-Man. They have a secondary scoring D-Man that is also good on the defensive side. They have a hulking D-Man that plays well defensively. And they have a strong starting goalie.

All the right pieces are in place. Now it is about surrounding those guys and extending depth. Add a big scoring winger, another big stay at home type d-Man and maybe a depth forward that plays well on the PK? Three pieces not likely to cost more than draft picks. Keep Young.

I think if the price for Beck starts to rise, I really don’t think Saginaw will stay in it. They aren’t in a position of need to outbid another team that NEEDS him. Usually teams that add the big players are in a position of need. Ottawa needed a #1 offensive D-Man and a #1 Centre. They went out and overpaid for Mintyukov and Morrison. They weren’t in a position to let other teams outbid them. Saginaw is not in that situation...at all.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I can see that but I guess it is a rehash of what we discussed on the Saggy board. Is it better to add the perceived best player at the same cost of adding three impactful pieces to fill in other gaps? Is the addition of three players at the same cost of one better in the aggregate?

I know many would suggest top heavy is better but I would suggest Saggy is already top heavy. It isn’t often a top team has all the main foundation pieces in place. They have two top centres, a three top wingers including an elite young “exceptional status” winger all at over a point per game. They have a solid 3rd line centre that plays wel defensively and chips in a a half point per game. They have the key offensive D-Man. They have a secondary scoring D-Man that is also good on the defensive side. They have a hulking D-Man that plays well defensively. And they have a strong starting goalie.

All the right pieces are in place. Now it is about surrounding those guys and extending depth. Add a big scoring winger, another big stay at home type d-Man and maybe a depth forward that plays well on the PK? Three pieces not likely to cost more than draft picks. Keep Young.

I think if the price for Beck starts to rise, I really don’t think Saginaw will stay in it. They aren’t in a position of need to outbid another team that NEEDS him. Usually teams that add the big players are in a position of need. Ottawa needed a #1 offensive D-Man and a #1 Centre. They went out and overpaid for Mintyukov and Morrison. They weren’t in a position to let other teams outbid them. Saginaw is not in that situation...at all.
I think it also depends on who is bidding on Beck. If the only other team that is putting up a similar bid (07 and picks) is coming from the east, then maybe they back off. But there is something to taking away Beck from the other west teams that is beneficial. I don't think they get into a bidding war with Sudbury over him but Soo or Guelph? Yeah they probably make sure he's not in their hands. And i don't mean they're going to do that with every player but just Beck.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
which wingers would come relatively cheap? there might just be few middle six; maybe Niagara make some available

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it also depends on who is bidding on Beck. If the only other team that is putting up a similar bid (07 and picks) is coming from the east, then maybe they back off. But there is something to taking away Beck from the other west teams that is beneficial. I don't think they get into a bidding war with Sudbury over him but Soo or Guelph? Yeah they probably make sure he's not in their hands. And i don't mean they're going to do that with every player but just Beck.
Possible.

which wingers would come relatively cheap? there might just be few middle six; maybe Niagara make some available

Again, I am not sure. It depends on who ends up selling. Once the market emerges, we can see who is there. But, odds are pretty good that there will be more wingers available than centres. That’s usually the case.

Put it this way, if Beck is the only viable star forward available, I doubt Saginaw is the last team standing for him. I don’t think they are positioned as well as others To land him. They need to hope there are other options either way.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Possible.

Again, I am not sure. It depends on who ends up selling. Once the market emerges, we can see who is there. But, odds are pretty good that there will be more wingers available than centres. That’s usually the case.

Put it this way, if Beck is the only viable star forward available, I doubt Saginaw is the last team standing for him. I don’t think they are positioned as well as others To land him. They need to hope there are other options either way.
Yeah the market kinda needs Punnet and Ludwinski
was just curious if you had a few in mind because non (OA or import) RW (available) might be more scarce than centre. I could see potentially more interest in Hayes than Beck, or more in Alfano than Bryant ...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah the market kinda needs Punnet and Ludwinski
was just curious if you had a few in mind because non (OA or import) RW (available) might be more scarce than centre. I could see potentially more interest in Hayes than Beck, or more in Alfano than Bryant ...
It’s really tough. Some teams should sell but their performance and standing is elevated so a team really needs to be disciplined to sell in this landscape.

IMO, North Bay simply cannot buy. They are in a very good position to be a seller. DiVin and Nelson alone would command solid returns, even though DiVin has been horrible this year. OA’s may be cheap acquisitions next year. Based on that, I think NB could also deal Wakely and then flip some of those assets next year for the OA replacement, if they feel they want/need one.

Xhekej could be interesting from the left side. Miedema as well.

Alfano probably returns as an OA but could potentially be available In Erie. Fimis would also be interesting. He’s a centre but he is the type of player that may benefot from a move to the wing.

Castle could be interesting in the right situation.

I still feel if Stonehouse were made available, he would be highly sought after because of the way he plays. It is always nice to snag a super pest that can score 30 goals. I just doubt he will end up on the block.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s really tough. Some teams should sell but their performance and standing is elevated so a team really needs to be disciplined to sell in this landscape.

IMO, North Bay simply cannot buy. They are in a very good position to be a seller. DiVin and Nelson alone would command solid returns, even though DiVin has been horrible this year. OA’s may be cheap acquisitions next year. Based on that, I think NB could also deal Wakely and then flip some of those assets next year for the OA replacement, if they feel they want/need one.

Xhekej could be interesting from the left side. Miedema as well.

Alfano probably returns as an OA but could potentially be available In Erie. Fimis would also be interesting. He’s a centre but he is the type of player that may benefot from a move to the wing.

Castle could be interesting in the right situation.

I still feel if Stonehouse were made available, he would be highly sought after because of the way he plays. It is always nice to snag a super pest that can score 30 goals. I just doubt he will end up on the block.
Erie probably does end up moving Mysak and one of Sova or Alfano to set themselves for next season. Fimis is one of the top FO guys in the league and Otters #1 OA option, I think.

There would definitely be interest in Xhekaj. The Fronts would be nuts to trade Miedema imo. I beleive Stonehouse would have a higher perceived value, but equal to Van Steesel. Castle is probably ok for teams like Windsor or Sarnia.

If shoulder of Mathurin is of serious concern, and a silly offer for Nelson is made; NB would have to consider a sell. They are in a very good position to buy as well as they do not need much to be a serious contender. An addition of Alfano or Xhekaj would complete the forward lines. The tricky part would be moving one of their '06 D and/or McDowell for a more experienced version.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Erie probably does end up moving Mysak and one of Sova or Alfano to set themselves for next season. Fimis is one of the top FO guys in the league and Otters #1 OA option, I think.

There would definitely be interest in Xhekaj. The Fronts would be nuts to trade Miedema imo. I beleive Stonehouse would have a higher perceived value, but equal to Van Steesel. Castle is probably ok for teams like Windsor or Sarnia.

If shoulder of Mathurin is of serious concern, and a silly offer for Nelson is made; NB would have to consider a sell. They are in a very good position to buy as well as they do not need much to be a serious contender. An addition of Alfano or Xhekaj would complete the forward lines. The tricky part would be moving one of their '06 D and/or McDowell for a more experienced version.

Where you and I differ is NB’s ability to buy. They have one 2nd round pick (2027). They don’t get all their conditionals back until the end of the regular season. They will be fine going forward for picks but not fine going into the deadline. So, unless they move players for picks and then use the picks, I don‘t see how they are fine to be a serious buyer. Maybe they can nibble at the fringes?

Stonehouse brings a lot more to the rink than VanSteensel. He is a proven commodity. He did score 37 golas last year. You put him with a kid that at least normally plays centre and he scores 30+ for sure. On top of that he is easily the biggest rat in the league. His issue this year is he doesn’t have a real centre to play with. He pretty much has to drive his own line by himself.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Where you and I differ is NB’s ability to buy. They have one 2nd round pick (2027). They don’t get all their conditionals back until the end of the regular season. They will be fine going forward for picks but not fine going into the deadline. So, unless they move players for picks and then use the picks, I don‘t see how they are fine to be a serious buyer. Maybe they can nibble at the fringes?

Stonehouse brings a lot more to the rink than VanSteensel. He is a proven commodity. He did score 37 golas last year. You put him with a kid that at least normally plays centre and he scores 30+ for sure. On top of that he is easily the biggest rat in the league. His issue this year is he doesn’t have a real centre to play with. He pretty much has to drive his own line by himself.

The battalion need a middle six winger which would move Cooke to the fourth line. The current rotation of 2-‘06 F, ‘05 F, and an ‘07 D for one spot is nice to get rookies TOI up to the deadline. Then teams with playoff aspirations should prepare for the playoffs.
I would think some combination of ‘06 D and 2025-27 picks of 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5 is more than enough for a player like Alfano to a team like Erie with excess OA options and playoff goals next season.

Stonehouse imo does not bring more to the rink than Van Steensel. They are slightly different but very equal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The battalion need a middle six winger which would move Cooke to the fourth line. The current rotation of 2-‘06 F, ‘05 F, and an ‘07 D for one spot is nice to get rookies TOI up to the deadline. Then teams with playoff aspirations should prepare for the playoffs.
I would think some combination of ‘06 D and 2025-27 picks of 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5 is more than enough for a player like Alfano to a team like Erie with excess OA options and playoff goals next season.

Stonehouse imo does not bring more to the rink than Van Steensel. They are slightly different but very equal.

I don’t call Alfano a significant buy. So, when you say “X” team will be a buyer, I don’t perceive that as a team that adds one reasonable player. I consider a buyer, a team that goes out and either acquires someone at the top of the heap or multiple key players. Loads of teams add at the fringes or insert a decent player at a reasonable cost while also moving a couple marginal players out to tinker with the overall mix. I think that is what you are looking at for North bay which I wouldn’t call a buyer.

If we look at last season‘s deadline, I would consider Ottawa, Peterborough, North Bay (first half season moves), Windsor, Kitchener, London, and Sarnia as buyers. I wouldn’t consider Guelph, Barrie and Flint as buyers even though they added some pieces. They tinkered more than pulled out the war chest. I even hesitate adding London to that buyer group but the moved their first round pick so you gotta consider that with more weight.

This also may add some perspective or clarity to how I view the market this year. When I say it is likely to be more of a buyers market, it is because I don’t see many teams at the top of the buyer side competing for the elite assets like last year. We had seven teams compete for stars and elite players. This year? Maybe 2 or 3. I do; however, think there will be more teams like what you are considering for North Bay looking to make moves of that nature. Teams like Erie could make out very well trading the productive but less than star players. Same with a team like Ottawa or North Bay if they chose to move in a slightly different direction. In fact, I think teams like Ottawa and North Bay could make out like bandits if the type of trade deadline emerges that I think will. Same with the Petes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad