Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
The coaches job is to win games every year. The executives job is to fill the coaches tool box. The team in front of the coach is meaningless with respect to what their job is. It never changes. Get the most out of the players every year. Let that play out on the ice.

“Win next year,” are never words you will hear out of the mouth of a coach. If you do, then you know you have to push him out. Their focus should always be on what he has in front of him now.

You then evaluate the coaches performance based on expectations from a player development perspective and demonstrated results compared to expected results.

I think this coaching staff has done very well when using those metrics.
Yea I can agree with that. I also think these coaches are doing all they can to “showcase” certain players as trade bait. Players who played in lower leagues and were 5th line players who didn’t even play at memorial cup and minimal in play offs last year. Hopefully they get good returns for those players so the executives can find good young talent to build the team around the young guns.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yea I can agree with that. I also think these coaches are doing all they can to “showcase” certain players as trade bait. Players who played in lower leagues and were 5th line players who didn’t even play at memorial cup and minimal in play offs last year. Hopefully they get good returns for those players so the executives can find good young talent to build the team around the young guns.

When you graduate and/or trade 13 players, your 5th line becomes your 2nd line.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The coaches job is to win games every year. The executives job is to fill the coaches tool box. The team in front of the coach is meaningless with respect to what their job is. It never changes. Get the most out of the players every year. Let that play out on the ice.

“Win next year,” are never words you will hear out of the mouth of a coach. If you do, then you know you have to push him out. Their focus should always be on what he has in front of him now.

You then evaluate the coaches performance based on expectations from a player development perspective and demonstrated results compared to expected results.

I think this coaching staff has done very well when using those metrics.
My old line - players and coaches never tank, GM's do.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
You tried Verner a few years ago, didn't work. If Wilson is not behind the bench next yeasr, it will be because he has decided that.
At this point in time I do not believe that Rob Wilson will be back next year. He is currently in the last year of his contract (6th year with the Petes as well) and I think it really is NHL/AHL or bust for him. I could potentially see an extension signed but it will become null in the offseason when he leaves. If Oke knows that, why even offer the contract and wait around until it is maybe too late to get a high quality replacement. should be interesting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At this point in time I do not believe that Rob Wilson will be back next year. He is currently in the last year of his contract (6th year with the Petes as well) and I think it really is NHL/AHL or bust for him. I could potentially see an extension signed but it will become null in the offseason when he leaves. If Oke knows that, why even offer the contract and wait around until it is maybe too late to get a high quality replacement. should be interesting.

Wouldn’t you think the offer would have come last year after the championship? I’m not saying you are wrong but it would seem to be odd timing.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Wouldn’t you think the offer would have come last year after the championship? I’m not saying you are wrong but it would seem to be odd timing.
that’s kinda what i’m thinking as well. Oke got his five year extension and VP title in September and Wilson still waiting it out. i get he wants to be paid but it’s clear his intentions are in the pro ranks

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I wish you wouldn’t say this - you are always right with your hunches and inside info- you are never wrong.

EDIT: I am saying this in friendship not in a mean spirited manner -I just sincerely hope you are wrong (and you’re never wrong about this sort of stuff) because I don’t want the Petes to regress back to the joke of the OHL

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I wish you wouldn’t say this - you are always right with your hunches and inside info- you are never wrong.

EDIT: I am saying this in friendship not in a mean spirited manner -I just sincerely hope you are wrong (and you’re never wrong about this sort of stuff) because I don’t want the Petes to regress back to the joke of the OHL
Well I don't know about that but thank you! haha I try my best

But ya I do foresee a situation in which Rob is gone but I don't think it is the end of the world. This is why it is critical to figure out exactly what robs plan/intentions are as soon as possible so that we can have a pick at some quality coaches from the beginning.

Reactions: Zebra

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I’ll be surprised if this coaching staff is still behind the bench by the end of the season. Won’t be long now before the finger pointing starts. 0 in 30 on PP recently has to be the worst in the league. The trap style hockey is getting very boring for fans to watch and ticket sales will start plummeting. The players aren’t allowed to show their strengths because they’re stuck playing in a system with limitations. I’m guessing if Petes have a bad run between now and Christmas there will be a change on the beach and my guess is coach Oke will be first on chopping block. I hope for the Petes they can change things this weekend but I feel they are playing 2 teams who have figured out ways to win recently and they will be sharks with the sent of blood in the water from the wounded Petes. The most exciting hockey the Petes play is on PK which is coached by Verner. He should be Petes next bench boss. I’d like to see what he could do with this team. His PK is more aggressive than the PP can you imagine what he could do with PP and 5 on 5. Good luck to Petes this weekend!
Where have you been the last year?
Oke and this coaching staff won the OHL championship last year and traded their 06 1st rd pick and 05 1st rd pick along with a boatload of draft picks to make it happen .

Normally a team making these types of moves (whether they win a championship or not) would be destined to struggle right out of the gate the following season and for the entire season. But that didn’t happen because GM Oke (who just signed a 5 yr extension and won’t be going anywhere) identified players in mid to lower rounds who had character and work ethic who would grow into solid OHLers. This coaching staff led the Petes to 1st place in the Eastern conference one third of the way through the schedule.
The Petes won’t be firing Oke or Wilson as the rest of the season plays out. It will be a tough second half but who expected this team to go all season without struggling?!

Let’s just enjoy the development of Cameron, Ladds, McCallum, Partridge, Cadorin, McCue, Faulkner + any young guys that come to the Petes in trades. The 2nd half of a rookie season is when many of these guys hit their stride; that’s what I’ll be watching for.

Who is going to get the Teddy Bear goal this year ?

Jax Dubois
I’ll take Chase Lefebvre

Ryan Christensen

Mar 8, 2019
It was tonight McCoy got it

We lost 4-2 2-2 and szuska with a soft won through the wickets and did Brantford ever give it to szuska after the game

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It was tonight McCoy got it

We lost 4-2 2-2 and szuska with a soft won through the wickets and did Brantford ever give it to szuska after the game
All 3 goals were from fairly far out not a great night for him especially that third goal that can’t go in

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Wilson’s got his hands on the steering wheel. He’s steering the ship. He’s gonna make miracles happen!
No this team is playing like many predicted would happen won’t be long until they’re battling for 7-8th spot

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Great win by the Petes tonight in Ottawa. They were perfect on the penalty kill including killing off a five minute major to Ryder McIntyre. Owen Beck had a strong game with 1 goal and 2 assists and won 13 of the 15 face offs he took. The team is playing like they were a few weeks ago when they were on their 4 game winning streak. They are now 3-0-0-0 against Ottawa was not that worried during the recent slump. They always have a rough patch either in November or December were they go on a losing streak but rebound and often follow up with a winning streak.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great win by the Petes tonight in Ottawa. They were perfect on the penalty kill including killing off a five minute major to Ryder McIntyre. Owen Beck had a strong game with 1 goal and 2 assists and won 13 of the 15 face offs he took. The team is playing like they were a few weeks ago when they were on their 4 game winning streak. They are now 3-0-0-0 against Ottawa was not that worried during the recent slump. They always have a rough patch either in November or December were they go on a losing streak but rebound and often follow up with a winning streak.

They got out to the lead, drove one man deep in the O-Zone and stacked the neutral zone. Ottawa wasn’t able to complete a pass and played with absolute zero confidence. Textbook for the Petes with the type of team they have. The only way you can combat that is with tape to tape passes with speed. Ottawa didn’t have it tonight.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
This was likely the last time that we will see Owen Beck in a Petes uniform. He will be missed big time. An excellent two way hockey player and a good kid. If for some reason he is not traded, great and if he has to move on all the best Owen.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I don’t think the Petes would regress back to the joke of the OHL if Rob Wilson leaves. Mike Oke is to good of a general manager to let that happen. I am sure he would hire a quality coach to replace him. The issues with the team of ten to fifteen years was in part due to to the general managers of the the day not drafting well, not making the right trades and not getting the best deals for players they traded and not hiring the right coaches. Money was also an issue. None of that is currently an issue. The Petes have a good general manager and are in a good financial situation.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Goodn
I don’t think the Petes would regress back to the joke of the OHL if Rob Wilson leaves. Mike Oke is to good of a general manager to let that happen. I am sure he would hire a quality coach to replace him. The issues with the team of ten to fifteen years was in part due to to the general managers of the the day not drafting well, not making the right trades and not getting the best deals for players they traded and not hiring the right coaches. Money was also an issue. None of that is currently an issue. The Petes have a good general manager and are in a good financial situation.
Good points-I hadn’t considered all of those points. You’re absolutely right .

I just remember back in the day when players didn’t want to report (Will Cuylie) and all the rumours of players not wanting to come to Peterborough and I shudder !

Some games were pretty dismal too -no fan support. They would announce attendance and people in my section would laugh out loud

I don’t want the Petes to go back to that and I panicked because I equate Rob Wilson with our success.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Goodn

Good points-I hadn’t considered all of those points. You’re absolutely right .

I just remember back in the day when players didn’t want to report (Will Cuylie) and all the rumours of players not wanting to come to Peterborough and I shudder !

Some games were pretty dismal too -no fan support. They would announce attendance and people in my section would laugh out loud

I don’t want the Petes to go back to that and I panicked because I equate Rob Wilson with our success.

The next two seasons will likely be a little lean in the win column but that is part of the cycle. Just gotta embrace it.

Reactions: Zebra

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
With Owen Beck most likely playing in his final game as a Peterborough Pete on Friday night in Ottawa, we now turn to 'Owen Beck trade watch'. Any Beck deal will be completed after the World Junior Championship and I have compiled a power ranking of six teams potentially vying for the OHL and World Junior Champion.
1702160058925.png

Reactions: Zebra and OMG67

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Connor Lockhart got a hat trick tonight
Nick Lardis got a hat trick tonight too!

Happy to see Petes alumni doing so well -just love our lads

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
With Owen Beck most likely playing in his final game as a Peterborough Pete on Friday night in Ottawa, we now turn to 'Owen Beck trade watch'. Any Beck deal will be completed after the World Junior Championship and I have compiled a power ranking of six teams potentially vying for the OHL and World Junior Champion.
View attachment 780509
Saginaw has the draft picks but are short on good young players but have a couple that might interest the Petes. The only issue is do they have 2nd in this upcoming draft? I am sure acquiring one is a priority for the Petes. London likely does not have the draft picks to make a trade for him. They only have two 2nds over the next four drafts and they both are in 2026. They do have five, 3rds in those drafts. They also do not have a 16 or 17 player drafted in the 1st round that they are willing to trade. They do have two good 17 year old forwards but I am not sure they are willing to trade either.

The Sudbury Wolves have the draft picks and there are a couple of forwards and one defenceman that Petes would take one of them in a trade for Beck. Sault Ste has limited draft picks and likely can only make one or two trades two of their 2nds are in 2024 and they have a couple of young players the Petes would likely take in a trade. I think they could be the front runner to be able to get Owen Beck. Guelph has the draft picks but none in the upcoming draft. I am not sure what players they have the Petes would be interested in.

The Kitchener Rangers likely don’t have the assets to make a trade for Owen Beck as they only have one, 2nd and two, 3rds over the next four years however the 2nd and one of the 3rds are in 2024 and they do have a couple of players the Petes would likely take in a trade. I think the front runners for his services are first Sault Ste Marie, second Sudbury and third Saginaw.

Reactions: Petesfan8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad