Peterborough Petes 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
This will be a year where the Petes will struggle. IMO it will be in their best interest to give Simpson about a third of the starts. Having said that, Austin will be the definite #1. Austin will be a possible OA in 22/23. I really feel like this season is all about preparing for the next 2 to 3.
Btw…..it will be tragic if the Petes miss out on trading Nick Robertson and McTavish in these down years for a boatload of picks.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
This will be a year where the Petes will struggle. IMO it will be in their best interest to give Simpson about a third of the starts. Having said that, Austin will be the definite #1. Austin will be a possible OA in 22/23. I really feel like this season is all about preparing for the next 2 to 3.
Btw…..it will be tragic if the Petes miss out on trading Nick Robertson and McTavish in these down years for a boatload of picks.

I agree 100%. I’m not thinking playoffs are very likely. I REALLY hope they got the opportunity to trade McTavish at the deadline to a contender to stock up on picks and add an 05 first rounder from another team like Barrie or Kingston.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I’m hopeful that Oke can have a few players playing Major Midget in Peterborough or Jr A in Lindsay. I really think that was a good plan 2 seasons ago having those 03s close by so they could practice with the Petes and be available if they needed to dress for a game.

Guryev playing in Lindsay plus Patey, Kavanagh and Simpson with the Major Midgets that year should make it easier for those guys to step in as regulars this year.

The Petes signed 6 players from that 2019 draft with 3 signed from each the 2020 draft and 2021 draft.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I’m hopeful that Oke can have a few players playing Major Midget in Peterborough or Jr A in Lindsay. I really think that was a good plan 2 seasons ago having those 03s close by so they could practice with the Petes and be available if they needed to dress for a game.

Guryev playing in Lindsay plus Patey, Kavanagh and Simpson with the Major Midgets that year should make it easier for those guys to step in as regulars this year.

The Petes signed 6 players from that 2019 draft with 3 signed from each the 2020 draft and 2021 draft.

Wonder if that’s any harder to do with Covid times? Getting more billets?

If they were to get three more players signed from the 2021 class I’d like to see them target Page, McCue/McNamara and Runco

Ryan Christensen

Mar 8, 2019
You cant sign guys picked that late unless it's out of camp and even then they would have to be special picked that late

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
My mistake, the Petes actually signed 7 draft picks from the 2019 draft before that season began.....

1st rounders - McTavish, Avon
2nd - Guryev
4th - Tucker Robertson
5th - Kavanagh
6th - Patey
10th - Simpson

It will definitely be more challenging with COVID as far as getting more billets.
As far as this year's draft picks, decisions on any more signings will be made at camp.
Who knows which guys will impress after a year of not playing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You cant sign guys picked that late unless it's out of camp and even then they would have to be special picked that late

teams can sign first two picks, and any other two picks to an ‘A’ card. Then they can sign any amount of players up to the roster limit if they are willing to pay education fund for that year; though those players can only play 5? games and in injury emergency

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
9 games I thought, and isn't the "A" card retroactively applied around the trade deadline based on who played more than 9 games?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like Michael Simpson will be attending an NHL development camp as well. Petes training camp may begin with both of their projected goalies not available.

Reactions: Square Corners

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
No fans allowed at the arena for training camp but sounds like the scrimmages and maroon/white game will be live streamed -

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Camp roster released tomorrow… interested to see if names like Mangan, Ushakov, Sebastian are on there…. If so, I think those guys would have a good chance to grab one of the available forward jobs. I think it’s almost a for sure thing that they sign Ryan Gagner and maybe even Quinton Page.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Very excited to see the camp roster......55 players in total are expected

In other news the league will do a lottery with the bottom 4 teams in the league for the #1 pick.
The Petes might be in the mix for that prize.

Tough to predict this year who the #1 pick might be at this point but Malcolm Spence and Nikolas (not Al's son) Iafrate are a couple of late birthday forwards who stand out for me.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Camp roster released tomorrow… interested to see if names like Mangan, Ushakov, Sebastian are on there…. If so, I think those guys would have a good chance to grab one of the available forward jobs. I think it’s almost a for sure thing that they sign Ryan Gagner and maybe even Quinton Page.

I’ve gotten word that there will be a couple names brought back for one last go from the 2018 draft class. Not sure about the others, but I know Studnicka will be there and Palfreyman won’t.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I’ve gotten word that there will be a couple names brought back for one last go from the 2018 draft class. Not sure about the others, but I know Studnicka will be there and Palfreyman won’t.

I wonder if we see local Will Everson there. He was awesome for that dominate major midget Petes team before Covid shut their season down.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Very excited to see the camp roster......55 players in total are expected

In other news the league will do a lottery with the bottom 4 teams in the league for the #1 pick.
The Petes might be in the mix for that prize.

Tough to predict this year who the #1 pick might be at this point but Malcolm Spence and Nikolas (not Al's son) Iafrate are a couple of late birthday forwards who stand out for me.

I don’t like it. Make the lottery 5-6 teams so sneaking into playoffs is not a penalty; or, let worst team have 1st pick.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I don’t like it. Make the lottery 5-6 teams so sneaking into playoffs is not a penalty; or, let worst team have 1st pick.

If you're going to do lottery, you can't have a team who made the playoffs win 1st overall. Imagine a team sneaks in as 7 seed then upsets 2 or something and then they get 1st overall. To me if youre going to do this, it has to just be 4 who dont make the playoffs. Those are the have nots

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you're going to do lottery, you can't have a team who made the playoffs win 1st overall. Imagine a team sneaks in as 7 seed then upsets 2 or something and then they get 1st overall. To me if youre going to do this, it has to just be 4 who dont make the playoffs. Those are the have nots

In the ohl; especially in the east, the top seed has loaded up at the deadline and crushes the 8 seed. Think two seasons ago when Kingston got in due to more wins than Niagara. Niagara picked 2nd, Kingston 5th. Niagara sold large at the deadline to pick up about 9-2nds, some 3rds, 4ths basically tanked… that’s not a have not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ottsabrefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad