Peterborough Petes 2021-22 Season Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Agree but someone on this staff must see something everyone else doesn't see in our back up goalie? lol
I know. The Petes are playing a team defense approach which helps the goalie a lot but still, you gotta make big saves when needed. Simpson does that but , to be fair, Austin has been okay of late. Still we shoulda beat Niagara before the OT.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
I like your projected lineup.

Some thoughts…
- Page will play a regular role. I’ve liked him in limited icetime.

- McCue will make the team after playing U18 Petes this season

- DeZoete will not return in his age 18 season to play fourth line IMO

- Watch for Porter Martone to be the Petes first round pick, it just makes too much sense

- I’ve heard some rumblings of a part-2 to the McTavish trade… maybe we are getting one of there OA’s for next season on the cheap. (Diaco, Duarte, Hayes or White?)

- Jax Dubois has been fantastic this season and is already ahead of Melee IMO. He would be my third line C next season. Melee on the wing.
well regarding DeZoete you earn your ice time if you play well you move up in the line up. Honest to God where do these players get off thinking their owed ice time? Or higher line situations, thats the coaches job. Not the players or his Agent or his Parents.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I like your projected lineup.

Some thoughts…
- Page will play a regular role. I’ve liked him in limited icetime.

- McCue will make the team after playing U18 Petes this season

- DeZoete will not return in his age 18 season to play fourth line IMO

- Watch for Porter Martone to be the Petes first round pick, it just makes too much sense

- I’ve heard some rumblings of a part-2 to the McTavish trade… maybe we are getting one of there OA’s for next season on the cheap. (Diaco, Duarte, Hayes or White?)

- Jax Dubois has been fantastic this season and is already ahead of Melee IMO. He would be my third line C next season. Melee on the wing.
Great points ........
- Page is a buzz saw - great on the forecheck and always gets his money's worth when he plays the body - perfect 4th line winger IMO

- McCue will make the team but where does he slot in?

- Dezoete may be one of a few guys that may be traded to create some space in the lineup

- I love the Martone pick

- I wondered about a part 2 to the trade with Hamilton.....White may make the most sense - as a RH Dman who is a great skater with good offensive instincts he would be a great fit for the Petes

- Dubois has been gold and would be a great candidate for the 3rd line C spot........so much will depend on where the 1st rd pick, the OA additions and the Import addition slot in

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
- I love the Martone pick

- I wondered about a part 2 to the trade with Hamilton.....White may make the most sense - as a RH Dman who is a great skater with good offensive instincts he would be a great fit for the Petes

- Dubois has been gold and would be a great candidate for the 3rd line C spot........so much will depend on where the 1st rd pick, the OA additions and the Import addition slot in
Looks like most people have Martone trending into the top 5 so might be ahead of our slot. I wouldn't hold my breath on a part 2 trade. They almost never happen. Also HAM won't be bad next year. Not as good as this year, but still good. Diaco, Morrison, Winterton, Sherk, Humphrey back up front. White, Grushnikov, Donovan, Van Vliet as the top 4 back on D. Costantini back in net,

They will need to trade 2 of Costantini/White/Diaco/Morrison/Duarte as htey have too many OAs. Assume that'll be Duarte and maybe Costantini. Maybe hes an option for us in net

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
well regarding DeZoete you earn your ice time if you play well you move up in the line up. Honest to God where do these players get off thinking their owed ice time? Or higher line situations, thats the coaches job. Not the players or his Agent or his Parents.
Timing and team situation is crucial for all players but totally out of their hands.
Have they been drafted to a team that is loaded with veterans and ice time is scarce (Hamilton) or have they been drafted to a team that is young and rebuilding (Niagara)?
What they do have control over is how hard they work and how well they adapt to their situation and follow the coaches' directions.

Next year's training camp may be the most interesting and competitive training camp in years.

Top 6 guys locked in.......Robertson, Avon, Stillman, Lardis
Potential top 6......Alfano (I really like his play in the 2nd half)
Bottom 6 locks......Dubois, Melee, Dezoete
Battling for ice time.....Page, Gagner, Reyers, Lewis, McCue

On D.......
Top 4 locks (most ice-time with special teams).......Mayer, Zanetti, McCoy
Next up......Smith, Guryev
Battling for regular ice time.....Spearing (?), Guo, Kavanagh, Leskovar

The players who are questionable for regular minutes next year are auditioning the rest of this season.
The off-season training will be so important for them.

When you factor in OA additions, another import and the 1st rd draft pick, there will be some tough decisions and some unhappy players.
A great position to be in for the Petes.

Reactions: ptbopete

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Never heard of a 5 minute interference major-does anyone know what this entails? An automatic review?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The league needs to just flat out ban any contact because every other hit is a 5 min major. That hit wasn't worthy of a 5. The tablet needs to be removed from the penalty box because the moron refs still get most calls wrong anyways.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
If the Petes want to win, they might as well get rid of Guryev, Smith and Mayer because it seems that the OHL has decided hits aren't allowed. It's become a joke to watch. They're not allowed to play. Now I'm sure a suspension is forthcoming. It's like what was happening with Fraser a few years ago. They wouldn't let him play the game. Guryev can't look at someone anymore, and Smith is the same. Since Mayer likes to hit, he'll be next. So frustrating to watch. The league is a joke.

Carroll better watch out, too. He's thrown some really nice hits the last couple of home games. I'm sure the league will target him next.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Totally agree this league is a joke, JUST DISGUSTING OFFICIATING! The non hitting OHL David Branch is a joke with his suspensions they target certain players especially Petes . Frazier got targeted , Guryev Smith Mayer Carroll Stillman just to name a few! The coaches cant even complain or Hache and Branch will suspend or fine them. Just awful refereeing in this league. Unacceptable the missed calls? Avon in 2nd period got punched in head after a whistle no call? Mr. Hache do you ever even watch your horsehit refs ? Funny how the Mississauga player never missed a shift?

Last edited:

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
At this point in the season -after enduring so many major penalties for seemingly clean hits, I am starting to think these refs don’t actually know what a clean hit looks like-
Agree they dont know what a clean check is! Every big body check your thrown out of game and suspended way too many games especially if its Hache kid from Kingston lol perhaps he should wear a pair of Yellow hockey pants so league knows do not hit him lmao

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Kind of surprised so many people on here are mad @ the Guryev call. I don't think anyone can argue the puck was nowhere near Lavoie, right? I don't think anyone can argue that Lavoie was injured on the play, right? So Guryev threw an illegal hit that resulted in an injury. There is your 5 minute major. The OHL is extremely consistent that they punish illegal checks that result in injuries (like the Stillman on Hache one). So not sure where the confusion comes from, especially if you start to factor in the reputation Guryev has

If the puck was there, that's a good hit. But the puck wasn't there. And Guryev definitely had time to let up as the puck was well passed Guryev too, but he continued on and threw the big hit. He made that decision and he paid the price for the decision he made.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The League isn't against hits obviously, but they are cracking down on head shots, have been for years and they are increasingly calling hits from behind along the boards. When Guryev hit Lavoie, my first thought was that Lavoie didn't touch the puck so that's definitely a penalty. Guryev hits hard so the effect is that the other player will go down hard. Lavoie rolled around on the ice and I thought he was really hurt but he was playing a few shifts later with no problem and assisted on the winning goal. In fact with the exception of the Hache injury (Stillman's earlier suspension) , I don't think any of the petes' suspensions for hits have caused injury and isn't taken into account?

Having said that, I have said her a few times that the Petes have to dial back the big open-ice hits because it is costing us big time. For the most part Guryev and Smith have dialled it back, but some bad luck last night with Lavoie bailing at the last second. Hopefully Guryev isn't suspended at all but if he is, it will likely be multiple games.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
The League isn't against hits obviously, but they are cracking down on head shots, have been for years and they are increasingly calling hits from behind along the boards. When Guryev hit Lavoie, my first thought was that Lavoie didn't touch the puck so that's definitely a penalty. Guryev hits hard so the effect is that the other player will go down hard. Lavoie rolled around on the ice and I thought he was really hurt but he was playing a few shifts later with no problem and assisted on the winning goal. In fact with the exception of the Hache injury (Stillman's earlier suspension) , I don't think any of the petes' suspensions for hits have caused injury and isn't taken into account?

Having said that, I have said her a few times that the Petes have to dial back the big open-ice hits because it is costing us big time. For the most part Guryev and Smith have dialled it back, but some bad luck last night with Lavoie bailing at the last second. Hopefully Guryev isn't suspended at all but if he is, it will likely be multiple games.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The Petes are in the midst of a very tough schedule and need everyone on the ice especially their defence. They have an all rookie defence that are doing well given the circumstances. My main point here is we all know that the big hit is what Guryev loves to do and his hits keep the other teams honest. However he is needed on the ice especially during this playoff run and with hopes of creeping into 7th place because who wants to play Hamilton in the first round. Guryev dodged a bullet in Tuesday night's game against Niagara and then he puts himself right back in the headlights last night. I would hope that the coaches would have been warning him to be aware of such situations. On another note when is Stillman going to step up and be the player that the Petes gave up a zillion assets for?

Reactions: ptbopete

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Kind of surprised so many people on here are mad @ the Guryev call. I don't think anyone can argue the puck was nowhere near Lavoie, right? I don't think anyone can argue that Lavoie was injured on the play, right? So Guryev threw an illegal hit that resulted in an injury. There is your 5 minute major. The OHL is extremely consistent that they punish illegal checks that result in injuries (like the Stillman on Hache one). So not sure where the confusion comes from, especially if you start to factor in the reputation Guryev has

If the puck was there, that's a good hit. But the puck wasn't there. And Guryev definitely had time to let up as the puck was well passed Guryev too, but he continued on and threw the big hit. He made that decision and he paid the price for the decision he made.
Really so you don't want open ice hits in hockey? Stillman not a dirty player got 6 games for a light contact on Hache from Kingston he was falling on the play. This league is a joke! Funny how your always making comments on the Petes site? Generalsupdate ? Lmao Branch and his out of control suspensions and poor poor level of officiating is a major problem in the OHL. Maybe they should wear skirts and take contact right out of the game? Did you ever referee?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
That hit was 100% a major for interference. The puck was not there yet.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The Petes are in the midst of a very tough schedule and need everyone on the ice especially their defence. They have an all rookie defence that are doing well given the circumstances. My main point here is we all know that the big hit is what Guryev loves to do and his hits keep the other teams honest. However he is needed on the ice especially during this playoff run and with hopes of creeping into 7th place because who wants to play Hamilton in the first round. Guryev dodged a bullet in Tuesday night's game against Niagara and then he puts himself right back in the headlights last night. I would hope that the coaches would have been warning him to be aware of such situations. On another note when is Stillman going to step up and be the player that the Petes gave up a zillion assets for?
Stillman is one of our top talented players ? lol drafted in 1st round in NHL!

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
How many games will Branch give Guryev? branch loves giving Petes huge suspensions is it on purpose? Hache should perhaps improve his Refs. Don't open ice hit in OHL! Automatic suspension! Take contact out of the game lmao.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The hit in Niagara was not even worth a penalty. They called it a head check but there was no contact to the head and it was very clear on the replay the refs just wouldn't admit they were wrong.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Really so you don't want open ice hits in hockey? Stillman not a dirty player got 6 games for a light contact on Hache from Kingston he was falling on the play. This league is a joke! Funny how your always making comments on the Petes site? Generalsupdate ? Lmao Branch and his out of control suspensions and poor poor level of officiating is a major problem in the OHL. Maybe they should wear skirts and take contact right out of the game? Did you ever referee?
Genniescupcake comes to troll but he's a Petes fan at heart. When you add up the posts from his Genniescupcake account and the posts from his Square Corners account he posts more than anyone else. He's also salty that the Gens tried to be contenders and still turned out to be pretenders.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Well schedule caught up to them. And I think the delay killed them. Ottawa had all week off (last game was sunday) with no games, Petes 4 games in 6 days. Doesn't get better.....5 games in 8 days starting Sunday.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I know I should move on from that Guryev hit/penalty but I have counted three times tonight one of our players was hit after getting rid of the puck

No penalties at all

Reactions: WillardJFredricks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad