Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
How about a scouting report on Timms? E.g. How's his defensive zone coverage; hockey IQ; is he a turnover machine?; would you want him on the ice late in the game to protect a one goal lead?
Thx
next to nothing unless he can get sheltered by a d-man who can actually play defence

Reactions: nelli27

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I think everyone, including myself, is forgetting about Brady Hinz. I thought he came on really good at the end of last year, so I'd be expected good things this season along the rest of the 2000's

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Arizona fan coming in peace. I'm waiting for you to see Kirk was a steal in the 7th round in the NHL-draft. Starting to see some signs of this now?.. :nod:

Guys, it was one training camp game against some very weak surrounding talent.... We can't expect 100 points out of him just yet and a 20 year NHL career...... hahah

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I caught some of the afternoon games and have a few notes......

• Liam Kirk will be fun to watch and fun for whoever gets to play on his line
  • Jacob Partridge has a great motor and nice hands.......he's a good one
  • Partridge and Denault were effective on the fore-check together
  • Isaacson doesn't use his size enough IMO and wants to be a threat on offense but doesn't have the speed or hands
  • Fraser granted Dakota Seaman his wish, which was to fight Fraser (not a wish I'd have!) and it didn't last long
  • Paquette had better play with more intensity when the exhibition games start on Saturday or else he'll be the odd OA out.........Dow looked sharp today.......he'll never skate as well as Paquette, but he was engaged, finished his checks and was tough to play against
  • Cermak looked OK.......but he's an 01, a year younger than Kirk. He showed some good hockey instincts and I think he'll progress as he gets more comfortable
  • Butler is going to be a strong player.....the great thing about him is that, at 6'4" 197lbs, he can already handle himself physically and he'll get even stronger. He looked good on a line with Gallant and Robertson
  • Young Dmen returning.....Supryka, McNamara and even Beraldo looked stronger and more confident
  • If Chisholm can stay healthy that will be a huge bonus for him and the Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
A few thoughts from what I saw today:
  • Robertson far and away the best player on the ice, too bad SDA wasn't playing today.
  • Kirk might have been second best in the morning games, always in the right place to get the puck on his stick in tight. I'll admit Paquette did a good job finding him, though I always expect more from him though.
  • Top 4 defencemen were Chisholm, Osmanski, Beraldo, Supryka in my eyes. Spearing looked good but is likely best served playing a ton of minutes in Jr. A like Supryka last year.
  • I'm tired of Fraser's shtick. He would have taken a dozen penalties in a real game and he's not good defensively.
  • Goaltending looked pretty good, hopefully it's not because no one can score - I have no idea how this shakes out, other than Jones presumably having one spot.
  • Butler is going to be very hard to handle.
  • Gogolev can obviously easily take over in the offensive zone and keep the puck for 20+ seconds against 16/17 year olds but didn't completely dominate like I hoped he might.
  • Hinz, Timleck, Gallant all looked about the same to me as last year. They'll all be contributors but there weren't signs of a huge breakout from any of them on day one.
  • I'd say the same for Isaacson/JPJ/Denault but they may be at more risk of losing their jobs to younger up and comers, seeing how they combined for 14 points in 125 games last season. They all have their roles but if someone can show more offensive ability...
  • There's clearly at least one top 9 spot available (assuming Robertson/SDA/Gogolev/Kirk/Gallant/Hinz + 2 OA's), would assume Cuylle would have taken it had he reported. I guess Partridge/Isaacson are the top candidates, unless someone like Panetta steps up and steals it away.

Reactions: Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Really liked SDA, Austin, Butler, Robertson this morning. Dow and Paquette do nothing for me... we should upgrade on both.... but if I had to choose one it’s Paquette.

Who gets the 7th D spot? IMO... Spearing is a little too raw for the OHL in year one... he would be better served doing what Supryka did last season. Likely will be one of O’Toole/McLeod/Denis.... But none of those guys exactly jump off the page at you. I’ve actually liked Aaron Chiarot more than those 3, but he’s also very raw. Puck handling and foot speed need work but I think he could be like Osmanski next season.

Locks for forwards -

Gogolev, SDA, Robertson, Gallant, Timleck, Kirk, Hinz, Partridge, Butler, Cermak + OA... that’s 11 of probably 13 or 14 they will carry.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Will be interesting to see what happens with Panetta, he didn't particularly stand out.

I'm really starting to wonder how much Hinz was a product of his linemates last season as well .

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I wonder if Butler grabs that top 9 spot right off the hop.... he’s looked pretty good.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Panetta left... likely told them give me a contract or I’m gone and they weren’t sold yet.... sucks because that likely means we get to watch Isaacson and Denault again this season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Panetta left... likely told them give me a contract or I’m gone and they weren’t sold yet.... sucks because that likely means we get to watch Isaacson and Denault again this season.

is serraglio cut or still there? can't find his name

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I wonder if Butler grabs that top 9 spot right off the hop.... he’s looked pretty good.
I'd be tempted to do something like:

Kirk - Robertson - Timleck
Gogolev - SDA - Butler
Paquette - Gallant - Isaacson
Cermak - Hinz - Partridge

You have to hope Robertson and SDA can carry the top two lines. Then third line is a heavy/veteran/forecheck/pucks in deep etc... but should be able to physically abuse other third lines or match up against opposition top lines. Fourth line is guys with upside who need to play sheltered minutes.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Anyone surprised that there are still 6 goalies in camp?

Yep. First time I've ever seen that. Two of them shouldn't be playing tonight. Team white also has 7 defenceman, meaning they have an extra skater. Maybe SDA or someone else will be held out.

Panetta did not look good.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Partridge playing center tonight probably answers whose going to be centering the 4th line.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Butler already one of the best players on the team. Which means the Petes will start him on the 4th line or as a scratch. Lets hope Wilson is different than Hull.

Goaltending was horrible tonight. No effort, as they were going down early and often. Do the Petes not have a goalie coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad