Lorentz - Ang - ?????
Maguire - Gallant - Timleck
Denoble - Coyle - ????

Clarke

Spencer - Masin
Jenkins - Lizotte
Varga - Timms

Grima

Love the analysis but honestly, this team doesn't even come close to winning a playoff round and if Masin doesn't return it will be an absolute train wreck.

After the first line you don't have one player who has more than fourty points in the OHL - not good.

You have the fourth line RW spot listed as ??? If there's no one else for that spot why not put Clarke into the lineup, he's going to be a good one.

Glad to hear Ang is training with Gary Roberts that is fantastic news and I hope he has out some weight on.

I would look to trade Mancina to Sarnia, they're looking to compete with London and need a goalie. Give Wells the crease one month in.

To be honest, if Oke sits back and loses Tammela/Masin and doesn't add anyone before camp.. He should lose his job. He needs to be proactive because this team currently is NOT good enough.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Love the analysis but honestly, this team doesn't even come close to winning a playoff round and if Masin doesn't return it will be an absolute train wreck.

After the first line you don't have one player who has more than fourty points in the OHL - not good.

You have the fourth line RW spot listed as ??? If there's no one else for that spot why not put Clarke into the lineup, he's going to be a good one.

Glad to hear Ang is training with Gary Roberts that is fantastic news and I hope he has out some weight on.

I would look to trade Mancina to Sarnia, they're looking to compete with London and need a goalie. Give Wells the crease one month in.

To be honest, if Oke sits back and loses Tammela/Masin and doesn't add anyone before camp.. He should lose his job. He needs to be proactive because this team currently is NOT good enough.

I am with you that Clarke is going to be a good one. But once again history dictates itself and anyone in their first year other than the first rounder doesn't get dealt a nice hand.

Training camp will provide a couple of forward spots that will fill some needs. But I'm still being haunted by the Mangiapane and Todd scenerio's.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I am with you that Clarke is going to be a good one. But once again history dictates itself and anyone in their first year other than the first rounder doesn't get dealt a nice hand.

Training camp will provide a couple of forward spots that will fill some needs. But I'm still being haunted by the Mangiapane and Todd scenerio's.

Unless we get some interesting free agents the only forwards that I could really see making the team from past drafts are Bobby Dow and Eddie Schulz. Even if they do make it they're fourth liners at best.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Unless we get some interesting free agents the only forwards that I could really see making the team from past drafts are Bobby Dow and Eddie Schulz. Even if they do make it they're fourth liners at best.

look for at least 2 free agents in camp

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
What year did Cairns play in the RBC Cup?

Why wasn't Mancina at the World Junior summer camp?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Matt Cairns isn't in the plans I don't think. (More like the Petes aren't in his plans.)

Edit: I guess that could change if Masin doesn't return but who knows..

Last edited:

elindros

Oct 24, 2011

my apologizes.. I was talking to someone today about the RBC cup and had it on my brain...Cairns played in the Dudley Hewitt Cup.

Mancina wasn't invited to the summer camp but that doesn't mean anything. He is being watched and his invite will be dictated by his start to the season.

Remember a few years ago when Tyson Teichman went to the summer camp but it was Malcom Subban who ended up at the world juniors? and they were teammates at the time

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Some good player summaries there elindros. Although I think you underestimate some of the players and overestimate others.

I agree that Maguire stands to be one of the most important players on the team after Garlent, Spencer and Mancina. Spencer has an opportunity to have a breakout year.

I agree that Ang will be a key and I hope he brings Timleck with him. Cornel, Betzold and Lorentz all need to step up to give Spencer and Jenkins somewhere to go with the puck. Cornel and Betzold have pure talent but have been incosistent.

I disagree that Lizotte was awful and only progressed after the Smith hit. That's far too simplified an analysis. Lizotte made an impact much before that game. His potential going forward is limitless.It's exciting.

Varga, Coyle and DeNoble are all better than you give them credit for in my opinion. Varga led the PP rush for Petes sake (not that he knocked it out of the park) and he is an important defensive player.

Coyle With confidence he will develop. De Noble is similar but can score. Both guys are young and will break out this year.

The difference this year is if the Petes get on a winning track all of their confidence as a team will snowball.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Some good player summaries there elindros. Although I think you underestimate some of the players and overestimate others.

I agree that Maguire stands to be one of the most important players on the team after Garlent, Spencer and Mancina. Spencer has an opportunity to have a breakout year.

I agree that Ang will be a key and I hope he brings Timleck with him. Cornel, Betzold and Lorentz all need to step up to give Spencer and Jenkins somewhere to go with the puck. Cornel and Betzold have pure talent but have been incosistent.

I disagree that Lizotte was awful and only progressed after the Smith hit. That's far too simplified an analysis. Lizotte made an impact much before that game. His potential going forward is limitless.It's exciting.

Varga, Coyle and DeNoble are all better than you give them credit for in my opinion. Varga led the PP rush for Petes sake (not that he knocked it out of the park) and he is an important defensive player.

Coyle With confidence he will develop. De Noble is similar but can score. Both guys are young and will break out this year.

The difference this year is if the Petes get on a winning track all of their confidence as a team will snowball.

I agree with most of this other than Maguire. Maybe it's just me, I just don't see what he contributes to the team on the ice. If he is a great leader in the dressing room than so be it..

This team will not score at all next season if Tammela does not show up. That should absolutely be priority number one and getting Masin back should be priority number two because without him our defense depth goes to s***.

If Masin leaves we need to sign Cairns.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
With Maguire he is one of the few physical players on the team especially on the front end. He is a character player with no fear on a smallish team. I know we need some goals-scoring but that's on Cornel (same draft year) and Betzold imo. Maguire is a unique player on this team and needs more ice (again) this year.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Maguire, like a lot of the players, can earn more ice time by starting camp in the best shape he can be in and just show the coaching staff that this is his break-out year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
With Maguire he is one of the few physical players on the team especially on the front end. He is a character player with no fear on a smallish team. I know we need some goals-scoring but that's on Cornel (same draft year) and Betzold imo. Maguire is a unique player on this team and needs more ice (again) this year.

OK, I see what you're saying... But tell me what player on championship caliber teams like Soo, Erie and Oshawa last season Maguire is like?

You'll find one common theme, they all played fourth line if they can't put up 30+ points.

I am fine with Maguire being on the team if he will accept a role as a bottom 6 forward. If not, move over and let the young kids develop.

Last edited:

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
OK, I see what you're saying... But tell me what player on championship caliber teams like Soo, Erie and Oshawa last season Maguire is like?

You'll find one common theme, they all played fourth line if they can't put up 30+ points.

I am fine with Maguire being on the team if he will accept a role as a bottom 6 forward. If not, move over and let the young kids develop.

I agree especially if the Petes are "rebuilding" lol.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
I like that everyone is kinda pushing Maguire on here. I am of the opinion that he has taken an extra year to know the league and I think he will be a pleasant surprise this year. But remember not put too much on a player that is a third line player. He will put up more points than previous years but he will still be a role player that is needed.

you asked who played those rolls on the Soo, Generals etc. well...

Keigan Goetz - Soo (third line player)
Blake Speers - Soo (same role)

Brent Pederson - Generals (played that role)
Sam Harding - Generals (played that role)

Those are just a couple of players that I can name off the top of my head.

I'm not worried what Maguire brings because its consistent every single game. Compete level is very hard, never takes a shift off, plays Hull's system to a tee, takes the body all the time. His offensive numbers will take care of themselves this year.

The players I'm more concerned about are Betzold (24 goals) and Cornel (14 goals), Lorentz (16 goals). These numbers are alarming for top 6 forwards. They MUST improve

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I like that everyone is kinda pushing Maguire on here. I am of the opinion that he has taken an extra year to know the league and I think he will be a pleasant surprise this year. But remember not put too much on a player that is a third line player. He will put up more points than previous years but he will still be a role player that is needed.

you asked who played those rolls on the Soo, Generals etc. well...

Keigan Goetz - Soo (third line player)
Blake Speers - Soo (same role)

Brent Pederson - Generals (played that role)
Sam Harding - Generals (played that role)

Those are just a couple of players that I can name off the top of my head.

I'm not worried what Maguire brings because its consistent every single game. Compete level is very hard, never takes a shift off, plays Hull's system to a tee, takes the body all the time. His offensive numbers will take care of themselves this year.

The players I'm more concerned about are Betzold (24 goals) and Cornel (14 goals), Lorentz (16 goals). These numbers are alarming for top 6 forwards. They MUST improve

As long as the following things don't happen I'm okay with him on the team:

1- Doesn't touch the top six - ever.

2- No PP time. (Can play PK)

3- Not in the game down one in the final minute like quite a few times last year.

I hope he can double his point production from last season if he plays on the third line with a combination of Gallant, DeNoble and Timleck.

I agree about Lorentz, Betzold and Cornel. Cornel should be a thirty goal guy.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Keep in mind Betzold had his 24 goals in just 49 games. That's 19 games he missed and hopefully the leadership in the dressing room improves so that he can play a full season.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
What do you think it would take to get Garlent out of Peterborough? I think it would be a nice fit for Niagara who could use a centre. It would also be nice to bring him home for his last OHL season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What do you think it would take to get Garlent out of Peterborough? I think it would be a nice fit for Niagara who could use a centre. It would also be nice to bring him home for his last OHL season.

Wouldn't get him until the deadline and that's only if we are out of it.
Would take a nice young player, I think.

When Garlent is on he can be very crafty. When playing with other elite players (Ritchie here) he put up big numbers.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

I am not a Petes fan per se but I watch them a lot and follow them. I thought Timleck received a fair amount of ice last year for a 16 year old, and did well IMO. In training camp I thought he was one of the more effective players. I consider CJ to be a better player at the same point than Timleck, I think Clarke was a player who easily had first round skill and should have gone 15-20, but just couldn't bring it together all year. But he has a good level of skill and plays with an edge. At the gold cup, he was one of the best players on the ice all tournament. If he receives a decent amount of ice don't be surprised if he has a productive rookie year. 10-10 for 20 total isn't out of the question.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Some good stuff here guys, love the back and forth. I have to disagree with you on Lizotte though and agree with elindros, sorry. I thought Lizotte was terrible most of the year, he has one of the worst outlet passes in the OHL. He has fantastic physical tools and is a feared hitter as you guys know, but he can't handle the puck to save his life. This is the main reason he wasn't drafted. In this day and age in the NHL, no matter how physical and mean you are, it doesn't matter if you can't break the puck out of your zone without having to send a bomb up ice that rarely gets picked up or ringing it around the wall. Lizotte got better as the year went on, but he was a turnover machine for a good chunk of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad