Peterborough Petes 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Well.. another season has come and gone and the Petes have yet again not taken the step forward that many thought they would. With that being said, there were a select few bright spots this season such as Jonathan Ang, Matt Timms, Cameron Lizotte and Dominik Masin.

Now a look at who could make up next seasons roster -->

Graduating Players:

Nathan Pancel
Michael Clarke
Josh MacDonald

Unlikely to return?

Artem Vladimirov
Matt McCartney

OA Candidates:

Steven Varga
Greg Betzold
Hunter Garlent

Trade Candidate?

Eric Cornel :shakehead
Josh Maguire

Prospects:
Matt Cairns, Toronto Patriots - LD. (2014, 3rd Round Pick)
Bobby Dow, Ottawa Sens Major Midget - RW. (2014, 8th Round Pick)
Eddie Schulz, Strathroy Rockets - C. (2014, 5th Round Pick)
Connor Hill, Ridley College - RW. (2014, 15th Round Pick)

2015 Top Draft Picks:
1st Round: 5th
2nd Round: 25th (Plymouth)
2nd Round: 29th (Belleville)
2nd Round: 33rd (Niagara)
(We do not own our 2nd round pick, or a 3rd round pick.)

So with all of that.. Here comes the fun part where every other Petes fan disgarees with me! :sarcasm:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F -

Steve Lorentz(1996) - Hunter Garlent(1995*) - Owen Tippett(1st, 1999)

Greg Betzold(1995*) - Jonathan Ang(1998) - Euro Pick(1997/1998)

Logan DeNoble(1997) - Eric Cornel(1996, trade) - Adam Timleck(1998)

Eddie Schulz(1998) - Josh Coyle(1997) - Bobby Dow(1998)

Two 1999 Forwards - Split time between Jr.A and 13th F.

D -

Kyle Jenkins(1996) - Matt Spencer(1997)

Cameron Lizotte(1997) - Dominik Masin(1996)

Steven Varga(1995*) - Matt Timms(1998)

Matt Cairns(1998)

One 1999 D - Spend year in Jr.A.

G -

Matt Mancina(1996)

Dylan Wells(1998)

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Are there any prospects from the 2014 draft that may sign to play for the Petes in the upcoming season?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well.. another season has come and gone and the Petes have yet again not taken the step forward that many thought they would. With that being said, there were a select few bright spots this season such as Jonathan Ang, Matt Timms, Cameron Lizotte and Dominik Masin.

Graduating Players:

Nathan Pancel
Michael Clarke
Josh MacDonald

Unlikely to return?

Artem Vladimirov
Matt McCartney

OA Candidates:

Steven Varga
Greg Betzold
Hunter Garlent

Trade Candidate?

Josh Maguire

Prospects:

2015 Top Draft Picks:

So with all of that.. Here comes the fun part where every other Petes fan disgarees with me! :sarcasm:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F -

D -

Matt Cairns(1998)

G -

Matt Mancina(1996)

Dylan Wells(1998)

Enviable!! Too many players, and top 30 picks play this season.
To a team needing to rebuild - trade Lorentz, Dow, & Shultz & separately, a '99 2nd to make room for (3)'99 F.
I'd be going after the best '97 or '96 F available.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Enviable!! Too many players, and top 30 picks play this season.
To a team needing to rebuild - trade Lorentz, Dow, & Shultz & separately, a '99 2nd to make room for (3)'99 F.
I'd be going after the best '97 or '96 F available.

Why would they trade Dow and Schulz when they're 17 year old rookies who have 3-4 years of service remaining? They fit the rebuild perfectly. Also, Lorentz is a great leader and a good player.. trading him would be foolish. Do you even follow the Petes?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I think dirty12 was just giving his opinion. That's what this thread is about isn't it?

elindros

Oct 24, 2011

Graduating Players:

Nathan Pancel
Michael Clarke
Josh MacDonald

Unlikely to return?

Artem Vladimirov
Matt McCartney

OA Candidates:

Steven Varga
Greg Betzold
Hunter Garlent

Trade Candidate?

Josh Maguire

Prospects:

2015 Top Draft Picks:

F -

D -

Matt Cairns(1998)

G -

Matt Mancina(1996)

Dylan Wells(1998)

so let me understand and comprehend this.

You want to give up on a player that has shown promise and excelled both on and off the ice and is entering his fourth season in the OHL? Was probably our most consistent player game in and game out and you know what he brought to the table. You are going to replace him with another rookie so that you can gripe about the "inexperience" all next season. You also trade or demote another one to the third line who just reported to Rochester today and is going to gain valuable experience for the next season. Who also is going into his 4th OHL season.

Your are promoting another player to the top line who did not show up for playoffs and was scared of getting hit.

And you are going to go with three rookies in the line-up up front.

If this is the line-up you are wishing for then please don't gripe next season about losing because with this you are destined for failure once again

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
you never get rid of 4th year players unless they are problems or can fetch you alot in return. Currently heading into the season we will have Cornel, Maguire, Lorentz, Jenkins and Macina who will be entering their last season in the OHL (unless they play as an OA). All bring valuable experience and leadership to this club that is needed. Trading any of these players would not be a good idea for the organization unless they have requested a move. Which to my knowledge none have and all want to return.

Goaltending is going to be a goo problem to have with this team next season as Mancina is a great goalie with two years (including OA) left to play. Wells is going to want to push to be number one and Mancina will not take a back seat (que Guelph) and be a back up.

Defense will be solid even if Vlad returns but none of that will be known until after the NHL draft. The Masin decision will be made by Steve Yzerman and no one else.

Up front yes we need to improve with the loss of Clarke and MacDonald but it can be done fairly easily with the right trade but not at the expense of experience. Other wise it will come back and haunt us badly

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
you never get rid of 4th year players unless they are problems or can fetch you alot in return. Currently heading into the season we will have Cornel, Maguire, Lorentz, Jenkins and Macina who will be entering their last season in the OHL (unless they play as an OA). All bring valuable experience and leadership to this club that is needed. Trading any of these players would not be a good idea for the organization unless they have requested a move. Which to my knowledge none have and all want to return.

Goaltending is going to be a goo problem to have with this team next season as Mancina is a great goalie with two years (including OA) left to play. Wells is going to want to push to be number one and Mancina will not take a back seat (que Guelph) and be a back up.

Defense will be solid even if Vlad returns but none of that will be known until after the NHL draft. The Masin decision will be made by Steve Yzerman and no one else.

Up front yes we need to improve with the loss of Clarke and MacDonald but it can be done fairly easily with the right trade but not at the expense of experience. Other wise it will come back and haunt us badly

I don't think you realize how bad Cornel was after Ritchie left... Pretty much invisible. This team needs to rebuild, the vets aren't getting it done. I'm perfectly fine with Corny playing top line IF he produces, he hasn't in a LONG time. The young kids need to develop, they're the ones who will turn this organization around IF they are given the proper opportunity to do so.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I do not believe the Peterborough Petes are rebuilding next season. They are building a team. The rebuild started when Jody Hull and Mike Oke took over in late 2012. Each year they are adding pieces through the draft and key trades. Their strengths next season are in goal and on defence. They have talent and depth in both positions. The forwards are young. The 4 rookie forwards are very talented. They have five good returning forwards that play key roles. The age of the team is well balanced. They have 3 players overage players, 5 or 6, 19 year olds, 4 or 5, 18 year olds, 4 to 6, 17 year olds and potentially 4 underage players. I see the lineup next year like this:

Greg Betzold Hunter Garlent Eric Cornel
Steve Lorentz Josh Coyle Josh Maguire
Logan DeNoble Jonathan Ang Adam Timlek
Rookie Rookie Rookie
Rookie

Steven Varga Cameron Lizotte
Kyle Jenkins Dominic Masin or Matt Spencer
Matthew Timms Matt Spencer or Artem Vladimirov
Rookie

Matt Mancina
Dylan Wells

The team will not bring back both European players. If he is available Dominic Masin will be back, if not, Atrem Vladimirov will be back. Which player returns will determine who Matt Spencer plays with. This lineup should make the Petes competitive if Hunter Garlent and Eric Cornel return to their 2013-2014 form and the defence plays up to their potential. The team needs to trade for top 6 forward and may half to part with 1 of the 4 sophomore forwards to make the trade. The defence may need an upgrade if Dominic Masin does not return. They will be drafting a top 5 player in the draft and it likely will be a forward. Depending who that player is, they may move to either the 2nd or 3rd line, but will likely start on the 4th line. The 1st pick and the 3, 2nds will likely be the players that make the team as underage players. This is barring a player not reporting or another player from the later rounds stands out.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I do not believe the Peterborough Petes are rebuilding next season. They are building a team. The rebuild started when Jody Hull and Mike Oke took over in late 2012. Each year they are adding pieces through the draft and key trades. Their strengths next season are in goal and on defence. They have talent and depth in both positions. The forwards are young. The 4 rookie forwards are very talented. They have five good returning forwards that play key roles. The age of the team is well balanced. They have 3 players overage players, 5 or 6, 19 year olds, 4 or 5, 18 year olds, 4 to 6, 17 year olds and potentially 4 underage players. I see the lineup next year like this:

Greg Betzold Hunter Garlent Eric Cornel
Steve Lorentz Josh Coyle Josh Maguire
Logan DeNoble Jonathan Ang Adam Timlek
Rookie Rookie Rookie
Rookie

Steven Varga Cameron Lizotte
Kyle Jenkins Dominic Masin or Matt Spencer
Matthew Timms Matt Spencer or Artem Vladimirov
Rookie

Matt Mancina
Dylan Wells

The team will not bring back both European players. If he is available Dominic Masin will be back, if not, Atrem Vladimirov will be back. Which player returns will determine who Matt Spencer plays with. This lineup should make the Petes competitive if Hunter Garlent and Eric Cornel return to their 2013-2014 form and the defence plays up to their potential. The team needs to trade for top 6 forward and may half to part with 1 of the four sophomore players to do so. The defence may need an upgrade if Dominic Masin does not return. They will be drafting a top 5 player in the draft and it likely will be a forward. Depending who that player is, they may move to either the 2nd or 3rd line, but will likely start on the 4th line. The 1st pick and the 3, 2nds will likely be the players that make the team as underage players. This is barring a player not reporting or another player from the later rounds stands out.

You cannot play 3 rookies on the fourth line, they won't develop that way. Our first round pick will be a forward and he will play top 9 or it's a wasted pick.

Josh Maguire is a 19 year old veteran forward who has never had more than 16 (!!!!) points in a season and how he's going to play top 6? Also, Coyle had 9 points this season and he's playing ahead of Ang?

I agree that it will be one of Masin/Vladimirov back. I would be very happy with Masin but Vlad is okay too. You did not take into consideration at all where the euro forward would play.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
although I agree with you to a degree with this I will also have to disagree with you.

Under Jody Hull the forwards do not play an offensive style of game. Look at our last two seasons and who the top point getters were on the team (Clarke (55), Ritchie (74) and Findlay(46)). Don't let points hamper your judgement as to where people fit into the line-up.

Maguire is not a top 6 player I agree with you but he is probably a top 7 that is going to get playing time in the top 6 throughout next season. I recall him playing on a line with Cornel and Garlent before Garlent got hurt and they were very effective because Maguire did all the work in the corners.

Coyle will be the third line centerman and number one PK man next season. He needs to get a mean streak in him to be more effective as well and use his weight to his advantage.

Ang will be in the top 6 somewhere just not sure where he'll be yet. That's Oke's challenge to find someone who will compliment him in his draft season. I'm hoping for a pure goal scorer somewhere.

As far as the Euro forward you are talking about. When was the last time we ever had a top 6 Euro forward on this club? don't count on it in the future either because we can't afford to pay the big price to get them here. We will be settling for "hope so" player

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
In answer to your 1st and 3rd question. If you have a skilled 1st round pick and a skilled European and you put them together with another skilled rookie on the 4th line and you roll 4 lines they will get ice time and will help each other succeed. The main problem with Jonathan Ang in the 1st half of the season was that he was not playing with skilled players. In the past star players have started on the 4th line including Mike Harding, Jordan Staal and Jamie Tardif. I did state that depending on who the top pick is they may play of the 2nd or 3rd line.

I have Josh Coyle and Josh Maguire on the 2nd line because that is the checking line along with Steve Lorentz. You can flip that with Ang's line and make it the 3rd line.

You cannot play 3 rookies on the fourth line, they won't develop that way. Our first round pick will be a forward and he will play top 9 or it's a wasted pick.

Josh Maguire is a 19 year old veteran forward who has never had more than 16 (!!!!) points in a season and how he's going to play top 6? Also, Coyle had 9 points this season and he's playing ahead of Ang?

I agree that it will be one of Masin/Vladimirov back. I would be very happy with Masin but Vlad is okay too. You did not take into consideration at all where the euro forward would play.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
although I agree with you to a degree with this I will also have to disagree with you.

Under Jody Hull the forwards do not play an offensive style of game. Look at our last two seasons and who the top point getters were on the team (Clarke (55), Ritchie (74) and Findlay(46)). Don't let points hamper your judgement as to where people fit into the line-up.

Maguire is not a top 6 player I agree with you but he is probably a top 7 that is going to get playing time in the top 6 throughout next season. I recall him playing on a line with Cornel and Garlent before Garlent got hurt and they were very effective because Maguire did all the work in the corners.

Coyle will be the third line centerman and number one PK man next season. He needs to get a mean streak in him to be more effective as well and use his weight to his advantage.

Ang will be in the top 6 somewhere just not sure where he'll be yet. That's Oke's challenge to find someone who will compliment him in his draft season. I'm hoping for a pure goal scorer somewhere.

As far as the Euro forward you are talking about. When was the last time we ever had a top 6 Euro forward on this club? don't count on it in the future either because we can't afford to pay the big price to get them here. We will be settling for "hope so" player

Tanus and Martschini weren't bad.... Both playing pro in their respective countries. Paulovic made the Slovak world junior team, Sekac didn't work out here but guess where he is now? NHL. It's coaching, not the fact we can't afford them.

I promise you that if Josh Maguire is on this team next season and plays above the fourth line.. We will finish no higher than 7th in the conference at the absolute best. Unfortunately, the board members likely see that as a "successful" year.

As for Jody coaching a "defensive" style... I call bull**** on that one. Bottom 5 PK in the league, bottom 5 goals against in the league. Some defensive coach.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
2015 FLI 2nd NIA 2nd Bel 2nd OSH 4th 4th 5th NB 6th 6th LDN 7th 7th 8th 9th KGN 10th OSH 10th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't see many Petes games. I do follow them closely, and probably listened to about 50 games the last two seasons and playoffs.
Maybe, my inclusion of Lorentz was way off. IMO he and Maguire are the least valuable of the '96s.
My pt was that the Petes have way too many good players and draft choices and too close to being a winner with the acquisition of the right '96 F, that there is no use for 5th, 8th, and 11th rnd rookie '98s.
At some pt the Petes have to trade the stock piled 2nds for impact players.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Thank you Petes - for posting the draft pick inventory link.

No worries. Big draft for Petes, need to come up big. With the first four picks I'm expecting 3F and 1D.

Edit: By the way, we may not all agree on everything but I still love all the Petes talk! :nod:

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Tanus and Martschini weren't bad.... Both playing pro in their respective countries. Paulovic made the Slovak world junior team, Sekac didn't work out here but guess where he is now? NHL. It's coaching, not the fact we can't afford them.

I promise you that if Josh Maguire is on this team next season and plays above the fourth line.. We will finish no higher than 7th in the conference at the absolute best. Unfortunately, the board members likely see that as a "successful" year.

As for Jody coaching a "defensive" style... I call bull**** on that one. Bottom 5 PK in the league, bottom 5 goals against in the league. Some defensive coach.

as I've stated in many posts that you put on here. You have no clue so I would rather not even respond to what you write any longer. If you knew junior or even hockey for that matter you might understand the game.

You have your thoughts, mind you immature at best and I will let you have them. But you won't convince me of them and neither will anyone else in the league.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
as I've stated in many posts that you put on here. You have no clue so I would rather not even respond to what you write any longer. If you knew junior or even hockey for that matter you might understand the game.

You have your thoughts, mind you immature at best and I will let you have them. But you won't convince me of them and neither will anyone else in the league.

Delete: not worth it, people don't want to read this.

Last edited:

mini89

May 11, 2012

This is a discussion thread we are all entitled to our opinions and there is no need for the condescending remarks. Agree to disagree that is fine or articulate your point with facts or your opinions.

There is enough belittling in the world or social media. Lets keep on track here and post with some positivity.

To get back on track, the Petes are losing three of their top 6 forwards. Which will need to replace with a couple trades and hopefully another Euro Pick like last year getting Masin, except this time a top 6 forward.

The easy thing to say is bump some of the younger guys into those roles, however if the Petes want to be a good team in their 60th year, they need to add scoring, not hope for everything to go right in the current development of the 3rd and 4th line.

To get those top six players, the Petes have the assets (9 2nd's over next 3 drafts) to get it done.

The D core should be stronger, as they should all be returning with another year of experience. (Masin will most likely be back, so Vlad might not be, if they take a top forward in the Euro draft.)

Goaltending should be solid.

I also agree on adding a Defenseman coach.

This all depends on IF Garlent, Betzold and Varga are the 3 OA's. If they do not return, there is too many holes to fill and no point adding for this year. They would have to shift focus to the 97 and 98's and build around them.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
This is a discussion thread we are all entitled to our opinions and there is no need for the condescending remarks. Agree to disagree that is fine or articulate your point with facts or your opinions.

There is enough belittling in the world or social media. Lets keep on track here and post with some positivity.

To get back on track, the Petes are losing three of their top 6 forwards. Which will need to replace with a couple trades and hopefully another Euro Pick like last year getting Masin, except this time a top 6 forward.

The easy thing to say is bump some of the younger guys into those roles, however if the Petes want to be a good team in their 60th year, they need to add scoring, not hope for everything to go right in the current development of the 3rd and 4th line.

To get those top six players, the Petes have the assets (9 2nd's over next 3 drafts) to get it done.

The D core should be stronger, as they should all be returning with another year of experience. (Masin will most likely be back, so Vlad might not be, if they take a top forward in the Euro draft.)

Goaltending should be solid.

I also agree on adding a Defenseman coach.

This all depends on IF Garlent, Betzold and Varga are the 3 OA's. If they do not return, there is too many holes to fill and no point adding for this year. They would have to shift focus to the 97 and 98's and build around them.

Replacing Verner on the bench with a true D coach (like when they had Bryan Helmer) would be ideal. I wonder if a former pro like Kurtis Foster would be interested in coaching.

This team could have 4 NHL drafted defenseman next year in Jenkins, Spencer, Lizotte and Masin. I don't remember the last time we've had four NHL guys on our back end... (If ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad