Peter Regin thoughts

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Not really. He's a good player and a solid 3rd/4th liner but he's not a guy that we'd give a multi-year deal to. I can see some other team give it to him, because he's a good player.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
No, not with the depth we have in the minors. In fact word on the street is that Toronto is looking for a center to replace Bolland & Bozak who are both hurt. I would deal them Regin in a heartbeat for a crappy pick and have Nelson take his spot full time.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Toronto is looking for a center to replace Bolland & Bozak who are both hurt. I would deal them Regin in a heartbeat for a crappy pick and have Nelson take his spot full time.

The Isles need the depth in case of, you know... injuries? :laugh:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
The Isles need the depth in case of, you know... injuries? :laugh:

Yes but we have two extra forwards right now not including Strome.

Though think there's no chance he gets traded anytime soon.

Boulton's days are numbered. Cmac will return. Strome will be up at some point.

I would start looking for help on D and consider a player like Regin expendable, especially if teams come sniffing. He's been ok lately but I think this team is so deep on F that ok doesn't cut it anymore. PMB has shown more improvement out of the two.

Even if forward injuries come - there's also Lee.

But there is this...

Can't get rid of The Great Dane's good luck charm can we?!

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
I think we have enough depth on forward even if we traded Regin.

Defense, on the other hand...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's a stop-gap player. I haven't been annoyed with him at all, but he isn't someone I care to offer any kind of deal to. If Toronto wants him, I'd trade him.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I don't have a problem with Regin, I think he's been solid. I like him on the 4th line rather than the 3rd line though. I would move Cizikas up to the 3rd line.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
No, not with the depth we have in the minors. In fact word on the street is that Toronto is looking for a center to replace Bolland & Bozak who are both hurt. I would deal them Regin in a heartbeat for a crappy pick and have Nelson take his spot full time.

He's a stop-gap player. I haven't been annoyed with him at all, but he isn't someone I care to offer any kind of deal to. If Toronto wants him, I'd trade him.

I was talking to the only other other hockey fan at work, who follows Toronto, about their problems at centre (not many of us fans in England!). I pointed out Nielsen was probably off limits and they would only be after a stop gap anyway. Regin was the first name to my lips thinking Nelson would get more time! Not sure he's quite up for centre duties but why not try it? Production from lines 3 and 4 isn't stunning right now...

But what would we want in return? Would a third rounder really be any use?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

He's a perimeter player much like Schremp or Tambellini. The difference is that Regin has a little more jump and plays much better in his own end. Solid positioning and has the speed to catch up to the play on the back check.

He doesn't have the confidence at this point to create his own opportunities by taking risks.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
He's just there

Exactly.

He doesn't make a lot of bad plays, but he doesn't make any good plays either. He doesn't create offense, he isn't physical, he doesn't shut down opposing players.

One problem for the Isles that has gone pretty much under the radar is the lack of production from the 3rd/4th lines. 6 goals in 14 games from the bottom six is not getting it done. Especially when they aren't being used to shut down top players on other teams.

We need a better center on the third line. I am hoping Strome can dominate for a couple of weeks, then be brought up to play with Grabner and Clutterbuck.

center55

Oct 12, 2009
I would not sign him there are hundreds of Peter Regins available every year. He has not shown me any upside to his game, although as the season progresses that could change, as of today he has not earned a multi year deal, give someone else a chance next year.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I would not sign him there are hundreds of Peter Regins available every year. He has not shown me any upside to his game, although as the season progresses that could change, as of today he has not earned a multi year deal, give someone else a chance next year.

Exactly. There are tons of simiar players out there, with potential but who never seem to fulfill it for some reason. Regin is alright but nothing special

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Peter Regin actually plays a role (for example, he PK's). Why would anyone dump him when we can dump Bouchard? Regin can play center or wing.

There's no reason to give him a multi year deal either. So, what's the fuss about?

If Strome continues to play great and forces NYI's hand, great. Two of the following 3 will sit: Regin, Bouchard, Nelson. Nelson, obviously, has options. Chances are, though, there will be injuries somewhere.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I had no reservations about Regin, in fact I never saw him play before this year. I think he has been serviceable but certainly not a player I would go out of my way to lockup long term. I think a lot of the hate towards Regin though is because a lot of people here feel he's holding Strome's roster spot....and everyone including me wants to see Strome on the Island yesterday

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'd move PMB first. You don't normally get much for a dpth guy. Bouchard at least has a resume showing an occasional impact player. If you can't get much in return and need the depth why move anyone? Strome can't develop fast enough.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
But Regin might be a factor for Frans Nielsen feeling great and playing on a hot-streak. It's all part of Danish psychology.......
Regin might also benefit in the long run when he gets some confidence again. No problem having him as a depth player on the roster, since injury will most likely happen during the season.

He might even sign very cheaply as a 3-4'th line defensive center to stay with Frans and if he get's his pre-injury offense back you would have a good reserve center, if not he can still fill a defensive roll.

Remember that Frans Nielsen also was very cheap for the Islanders when he started moving up the roster.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He's what Reasoner should've been. Good depth guy to have on the roster who can take some shifts, not mess things up for the team, and make a play or two every now and then.

I'd hope that by the end of the season some of our youth can beat him out for the job.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
He's what Reasoner should've been. Good depth guy to have on the roster who can take some shifts, not mess things up for the team, and make a play or two every now and then.

I'd hope that by the end of the season some of our youth can beat him out for the job.

I have no problem with Regin. However he doesn't do enough to justify not having Nelson play center every day. now if this is a case of them wanting to break nelson in slowly & give him a less defensively responsible winger position then fine, but he still needs to play every day.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Regin seems to be on borrowed time as his spot is pretty much destined for Strome, but I still like him as a depth player. He's a center who has no glaring weakness (or strengths) and can fill in in multiple spots while helping out on the PK.

PMB seems like the odd man out once Nelson and Strome take/earn their spots IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad