Peter Regin thoughts

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Remember that Frans Nielsen also was very cheap for the Islanders when he started moving up the roster.

I'm sure that the whole Regin-Nielsen story is heartwarming, especially for Danes. And I have a soft-spot for Denmark (just like many Jews who know their WWII history). Still, I daresay that Regin has never once in his life had Frans Nielsen's ability. I suspect that both players, deep down, understand this.

I just don't see Regin getting a multi-year deal.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
When we signed him I thought one of his best attributes was his face-off ability. If he could be above 50%, that might be worth consideration for a multi-year deal but haven't seen that thus far. Zeeks seems to be the most reliable in that aspect.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Regin and Bouchard are just fill-ins. The don't make us better. By not making us better, and little hope of them developing further at this point, they are making us worse.

The role players we have, like Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, McDonald play a very physical and inspired game. The team doesn't need two more, like Regin and Bouchard. Regin is somewhere between Keith Aucoin and Marty Reasoner. Bouchard is somewhere between Boyes and Parenteau.

I'd have Strome and Nelson in the lineup because these are two players that can play every day and, LIKELY, be MUCH BETTER players by game 60, game 70, game 82 and game 83!

Same for Donovan, who, by the way, has improved steadily in the last few games. I expect him to take over 1st PP unit soon.

I'd carry Regin as an extra forward. I'd probably waive Bouchard at this point, though he's looked better of late (primarily because he plays with Nieslen and Bailey, imo.

Vanek - Tavares - Nelson
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

I know many will say "Nelson on the first line - wtf?" and that's fair, but I'd try it because his style of play would complement JT-TV extremely well. I also think any one of Clutterbuck/Martin/McDonald could play an effective 1st line wing with those two.

Love the balanced scoring from the top three lines and what better environment for Nelson/Strome to develop in than with those sets of wingers.

Still need a defenseman and a goalie but if the Islanders are going to take a big step forward this year, the improvement needs to come from players in the organization. Not going to add a significant piece from the outside at this point, especially not on defense.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Regin and Bouchard are just fill-ins. The don't make us better. By not making us better, and little hope of them developing further at this point, they are making us worse.

The role players we have, like Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, McDonald play a very physical and inspired game. The team doesn't need two more, like Regin and Bouchard. Regin is somewhere between Keith Aucoin and Marty Reasoner. Bouchard is somewhere between Boyes and Parenteau.

I'd have Strome and Nelson in the lineup because these are two players that can play every day and, LIKELY, be MUCH BETTER players by game 60, game 70, game 82 and game 83!

Same for Donovan, who, by the way, has improved steadily in the last few games. I expect him to take over 1st PP unit soon.

I'd carry Regin as an extra forward. I'd probably waive Bouchard at this point, though he's looked better of late (primarily because he plays with Nieslen and Bailey, imo.

Vanek - Tavares - Nelson
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

I know many will say "Nelson on the first line - wtf?" and that's fair, but I'd try it because his style of play would complement JT-TV extremely well. I also think any one of Clutterbuck/Martin/McDonald could play an effective 1st line wing with those two.

Love the balanced scoring from the top three lines and what better environment for Nelson/Strome to develop in than with those sets of wingers.

Still need a defenseman and a goalie but if the Islanders are going to take a big step forward this year, the improvement needs to come from players in the organization. Not going to add a significant piece from the outside at this point, especially not on defense.

Let me start off by saying I love the lines but highly doubt we see them this year...

Regin isn't flashy but he plays responsible. That's all the coaches want from a 3rd line center. He's more reliable right now than Brock Nelson. I know we all want to see him in there but with the way the 1st and 2nd line have been producing we don't need a lot of offense from the 3rd line.

I dont think Nelson has really earned more playing time either. I still think he'll be great player but the game seems too fast for him right now. He needs more time to adapt before he can make an impact.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But what would we want in return? Would a third rounder really be any use?

I'd want to package something for one of their goalies. :D

Exactly.

He doesn't make a lot of bad plays, but he doesn't make any good plays either. He doesn't create offense, he isn't physical, he doesn't shut down opposing players.

One problem for the Isles that has gone pretty much under the radar is the lack of production from the 3rd/4th lines. 6 goals in 14 games from the bottom six is not getting it done. Especially when they aren't being used to shut down top players on other teams.

We need a better center on the third line. I am hoping Strome can dominate for a couple of weeks, then be brought up to play with Grabner and Clutterbuck.

Most bottom 6 don't really produce at a high clip. What kind of production are you expecting/desiring?

Peter Regin actually plays a role (for example, he PK's). Why would anyone dump him when we can dump Bouchard? Regin can play center or wing.

There's no reason to give him a multi year deal either. So, what's the fuss about?

If Strome continues to play great and forces NYI's hand, great. Two of the following 3 will sit: Regin, Bouchard, Nelson. Nelson, obviously, has options. Chances are, though, there will be injuries somewhere.

Would PMB address Toronto's needs at center?

Peter Regin seems to be more or less on the same level as Keith Aucoin was last season with Islanders.

Better defensively, worse offensively (right now).

I have no problem with Regin. However he doesn't do enough to justify not having Nelson play center every day. now if this is a case of them wanting to break nelson in slowly & give him a less defensively responsible winger position then fine, but he still needs to play every day.

I think that's the plan. Or to see who will be a better C, Nelson or Strome down the line.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Most bottom 6 don't really produce at a high clip. What kind of production are you expecting/desiring?

Last year, 3rd/4th line players scored 36 goals in 48 games for the Isles (give or take depending on who was on what line when), a pace of 60 goals over the course of an 80 season. This year, they have scored 6 goals in 14 games, slightly more than half of that pace.

Look at teams the good teams last year, they all had depth guys that could contribute double digit goals. Martin is the only player who has reached 2 goals while playing on the third/fourth line. In fact, the line of Grabner/Bouchard -- Regin -- Clutterbuck has combined 2 goals on the season (Grabner and Bouchard each scored both of their goals with Nielsen). Yeah, it's not the top line, but 2 goals in 14 games for a line getting 12+ minutes a night is really bad.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Last year, 3rd/4th line players scored 36 goals in 48 games for the Isles (give or take depending on who was on what line when), a pace of 60 goals over the course of an 80 season. This year, they have scored 6 goals in 14 games, slightly more than half of that pace.

Look at teams the good teams last year, they all had depth guys that could contribute double digit goals. Martin is the only player who has reached 2 goals while playing on the third/fourth line. In fact, the line of Grabner/Bouchard -- Regin -- Clutterbuck has combined 2 goals on the season (Grabner and Bouchard each scored both of their goals with Nielsen). Yeah, it's not the top line, but 2 goals in 14 games for a line getting 12+ minutes a night is really bad.

Maybe it may take them a little while to get on a role. They have seemed (at least to me) to be picking up their play the last few games.

By those numbers, they aren't producing enough. But I wonder if that is offset by the production we've been getting through the top 6.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Let me start off by saying I love the lines but highly doubt we see them this year...

Regin isn't flashy but he plays responsible. That's all the coaches want from a 3rd line center. He's more reliable right now than Brock Nelson. I know we all want to see him in there but with the way the 1st and 2nd line have been producing we don't need a lot of offense from the 3rd line.

I dont think Nelson has really earned more playing time either. I still think he'll be great player but the game seems too fast for him right now. He needs more time to adapt before he can make an impact.

I agree on Regin. He's a responsible player, does nothing poorly, nothing particularly well. He eats up minutes. He doesn't hurt you when you're up a goal, cannot help you if you're down a goal. He's not a problem and not a solution.

We can agree to disagree on Nelson. I think he's been good. He's playing limited minutes, not with offensive players and he hasn't looked out of place. Is he ready for a promotion to the first line? maybe not. But I'd be far more comfortable with Nelson's role being swapped with Bouchard's role.

Nelson is a better player and complements the other forwards much better. He also has more offensive upside than Bouchard, he's bigger, stronger, way better along the boards, goes to the net. It's a no-brainer as I see it.

Boston had Riley Smith playing top six minutes the other night, with offensive players (possibly because Eriksson was out) - no reason why Nelson shouldn't be put into a position to succeed.

Anyway. I'm not too fussed about it. Regin and Bouchard are fine. I would make different decisions bt I'm not Capuano and I can see the method behind his madness - however maddening it may be at times.

These Isles are a good team. When they play their game, and get solid goaltending, they can beat anyone. And they're fun to watch. I get less angry every year, which is a good sign, because I get more and more angry in life (outside hockey) :)

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Count me in the minority, but I just do not understand the Isles fans absolute desire to have Strome be on the NHL squad.

Let the kid play one FULL AHL season please. Ride the bus kid, learn the 'pro game' and come back next year for your shot as better developed player. He's the not going to be the reason the Isles make the playoffs and/or get beyond the first round.

The one major adjustment between Jrs and the AHL/NHL is the length of the season. Let the kid get that under his belt first.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Count me in the minority, but I just do not understand the Isles fans absolute desire to have Strome be on the NHL squad.

Let the kid play one FULL AHL season please. Ride the bus kid, learn the 'pro game' and come back next year for your shot as better developed player. He's the not going to be the reason the Isles make the playoffs and/or get beyond the first round.

The one major adjustment between Jrs and the AHL/NHL is the length of the season. Let the kid get that under his belt first.

I'm with you on this...if he were a bigger body I might feel differently but let him hone his craft as a professional and mature physically. Plus it seems like he isn't dominating at Bridgeport either, so let him get a year in before he makes the jump. Nelson did his time, is bigger and is being blocked by PMB-that I don't understand.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't mind Regin if next year that Regin is the 13th forward. Think that would be ideal.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
I'm sure that the whole Regin-Nielsen story is heartwarming, especially for Danes. And I have a soft-spot for Denmark (just like many Jews who know their WWII history). Still, I daresay that Regin has never once in his life had Frans Nielsen's ability. I suspect that both players, deep down, understand this.

There is little doubt at the moment that Nielsen is a much better player than Regin. It would be wrong to say, however, that this has always been so obvious.

Up until about 2-3 years ago, they were following very similar career paths, Nielsen being maybe one step ahead career-wise, but Regin looking like the flashier, more offensively skilled one. When a young Senators-team gave the heavily favoured Penguins surprisingly many fits in the playoffs in 2010 (a series remarkably similar to the Isles' one this spring), Regin was arguably Sens' best forward.

Not long after he was called into the a meeting with the Sens management along with Erik Karlsson. Karlsson and Regin were told that the Senators would build the future team around those 2...

Sadly, Regin has regressed as a player since then, maybe partly due to injuries (and from those injuries a loss of confidence that has led him shy away from contact), while Nielsen has thankfully continously improved.

In general, I'm biased as a Danish Islanders-fan who have always liked Regin a lot, but I find it to be a good depth signing - low risk, low reward. Same goes for PMB, actually. These 2 players might not set the NHL on fire, but they are both somewhat legitimate NHL players. Down the line where injuries are bound to happen, the Isles could benefit greatly from having them around rather than having to dress dubious AHL call-ups.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I don't mind Regin if next year that Regin is the 13th forward. Think that would be ideal.

He's NYI's annual stop gap on a short term deal. Peel back the onion, year after year. Eventually, the core develops and the rest of the team is rounded out with stronger overall depth players.

Regin is fine for the time being based on his role and the $ NYI are allocating to that spot.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
In general, I'm biased as a Danish Islanders-fan who have always liked Regin a lot, but I find it to be a good depth signing - low risk, low reward. Same goes for PMB, actually. These 2 players might not set the NHL on fire, but they are both somewhat legitimate NHL players. Down the line where injuries are bound to happen, the Isles could benefit greatly from having them around rather than having to dress dubious AHL call-ups.

Yeah, but soon Strome will be up and Nelson will be out of options. It's great to have depth, but there are only so many roster spots.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
There is little doubt at the moment that Nielsen is a much better player than Regin. It would be wrong to say, however, that this has always been so obvious.

Up until about 2-3 years ago, they were following very similar career paths, Nielsen being maybe one step ahead career-wise, but Regin looking like the flashier, more offensively skilled one. When a young Senators-team gave the heavily favoured Penguins surprisingly many fits in the playoffs in 2010 (a series remarkably similar to the Isles' one this spring), Regin was arguably Sens' best forward.

Not long after he was called into the a meeting with the Sens management along with Erik Karlsson. Karlsson and Regin were told that the Senators would build the future team around those 2...

Sadly, Regin has regressed as a player since then, maybe partly due to injuries (and from those injuries a loss of confidence that has led him shy away from contact), while Nielsen has thankfully continously improved.

Fair post and accurate and well said.

If the key players are doing what they need to do (i.e. Tavares, Vanek, Bailey, Nielsen, Okposo, Grabner, Hamonic, MacDonald, Visnovsky, Nabokov) then the Islanders should win most games - and complementary/role players like Regin, Clutterbuck, McDonald, Cizikas, Martin, Bouchard, Hickey, Strait, Carkner, Martinek, are just that. Not difference makers.

Problem is, Isles need another defenseman and a goalie. When we don't have that, we tend to blame the fringe players (like PMB and Bouchard) and criticize those that fail in their role (over their head) like MacDonald, Nabokov, for example.

Players like Nelson, Donovan, Strome are not just "ahl call-ups" - they are important prospects that are (hopefully) part of the Islanders (near) future. They are as important as Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, Hamonic have been in recent years (the exact degree varies, obviously) so I'd like to see these guys integrated into the lineup instead of these "fill-in" types that, arguably, make us WORSE, not better.

It'll come, eventually.

No team's perfect but I think elevating Strome, Nelson, Donovan into more important minutes, with better players, serves the Islanders well, short term and, more importantly, longer term. This isn't forcing 18 year olds to carry the load (as the Isles have done with some players in the past).

I'd like to see these guys be given a real chance.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
Players like Nelson, Donovan, Strome are not just "ahl call-ups" - they are important prospects that are (hopefully) part of the Islanders (near) future. They are as important as Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, Hamonic have been in recent years (the exact degree varies, obviously) so I'd like to see these guys integrated into the lineup instead of these "fill-in" types that, arguably, make us WORSE, not better.

It'll come, eventually.

No team's perfect but I think elevating Strome, Nelson, Donovan into more important minutes, with better players, serves the Islanders well, short term and, more importantly, longer term. This isn't forcing 18 year olds to carry the load (as the Isles have done with some players in the past).

I'd like to see these guys be given a real chance.

I agree, and maybe I should have worded it better. I think it's a great luxury that when injuries happen, the Isles can call up legit high end NHL talent in Strome and Nelson (Nelson is with the big team, but not playing enough). Signing Regin and PMB is part of that - if they weren't there, and all talent were already part of the 13 man roster, then the first call-up would already be ugly.

Now we can be down like three forwards and still ice a solid line-up. That's nice.

startainfection*

it doesn't take really good top skilled prospects a whole season to learn what it takes to play against men, it takes then about a dozen-20 games, stroke is showing that he understands what it takes, let him be a 2nd liner(in pmb's spot) with 1st unit pp time

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Not really sure why you think this. The Isles were close enough to Pitt last year that one or two goals could have made a difference. They were also close enough to missing the playoffs that one or two goals could have been the difference between making/missing the playoffs. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the difference between Strome and Regin could be 1-2 more wins between say December through April.

I don't want to bring Strome up right now, but if a month from now he is dominating the AHL (well over a ppg) I absolutely want to see him with the Isles. I don't want to bring him up unless he is ready, but I also don't see any reason to keep him in Bridgeport just for the hell of it.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I agree, and maybe I should have worded it better. I think it's a great luxury that when injuries happen, the Isles can call up legit high end NHL talent in Strome and Nelson (Nelson is with the big team, but not playing enough). Signing Regin and PMB is part of that - if they weren't there, and all talent were already part of the 13 man roster, then the first call-up would already be ugly.

Now we can be down like three forwards and still ice a solid line-up. That's nice.

Like the Leafs? Bozak and Bolland go down and they have NOBODY to call up at all. Not even Mike Zigomanis-types. Literally NOBODY. They traded Joe Colborne to Calgary and even Keith Aucoin would be a dramatic improvement at this stage.

I like Regin. He's a smart player, effective 5 on 5, good defensively, makes few mistakes, doesn't take penalties - great depth player. I don't like him on the 2PP and 2PK but can understand why Cappy trusts him. Cappy has also mentioned how hard he works in practice - coaches love that stuff.

If it were my team, I'd sign Keith Aucoin and a couple of other really good minor leaguers, for Bridgeport, and call them up as needed (injuries). Not necessarily limit the NHL team's potential while letting younger players develop in the minors.

They need veteran presence in BOTH the NHL and the AHL, at forward AND defense.

Needs a bit of tweaking. It was MUCH WORSE in prior years. This team is a vast improvement at the NHL level. The AHL level, still needs work (no disrespect to Jon Sim)

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark

You gotta check the history once again then. If it wasn't for injuries, Regin would arguably be better than Nielsen.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
But Regin might be a factor for Frans Nielsen feeling great and playing on a hot-streak. It's all part of Danish psychology.......
Regin might also benefit in the long run when he gets some confidence again. No problem having him as a depth player on the roster, since injury will most likely happen during the season.

He might even sign very cheaply as a 3-4'th line defensive center to stay with Frans and if he get's his pre-injury offense back you would have a good reserve center, if not he can still fill a defensive roll.

Remember that Frans Nielsen also was very cheap for the Islanders when he started moving up the roster.

These things definitely speak for him at the moment.

Who knows, maybe he'll pick things up at some point. I've kind of felt he could have a slightly bigger offensive impact than has been the case to date.

He has certainly been better recently than he was the first five games, but so too has Bouchard.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Not really sure why you think this. The Isles were close enough to Pitt last year that one or two goals could have made a difference. They were also close enough to missing the playoffs that one or two goals could have been the difference between making/missing the playoffs. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the difference between Strome and Regin could be 1-2 more wins between say December through April.

I don't want to bring Strome up right now, but if a month from now he is dominating the AHL (well over a ppg) I absolutely want to see him with the Isles. I don't want to bring him up unless he is ready, but I also don't see any reason to keep him in Bridgeport just for the hell of it.

I think this because isles fans think rookies are automatic production at the NHL level and underscore their flaws that LEAD to goals. A little taste of Donovan anyone? It's growing pains. Isles played with PIT but if Fleury was somewhat on his game, Isles probably get smoked in that series.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Regin is a great 13th forward to have as an injury fill-in. He belongs no place near a power play or a multi-year deal. He is good for 30 games on the 4th line as a filler who can kill 5 min of a game without costing you a goal against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad