Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For the people saying "Why after 3 games but not last season" he answered that. He said he wanted him to have a chance with a full training camp, and nothing changed.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Snider got snippy when someone asked him why he has another Flyers guy in there. It's been the same thing for 38 years, that you haven't won a Cup. Snider: "We don't need a fresh prespective."

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
"We don't need a fresh perspective" - Ed Snider.

Snider wasn't saying that in a general sense though, it was in response to a pathetic question that (paraphrasing) "Isn't it time to move away from a culture of not having won a cup in 38 years that Berube is a part of and get a fresh perspective?"

It was a ridiculous question - it's not like every coach they've had in the past 38 years came from within the organization, not even close. They've had plenty of "fresh perspectives" in the past, including Laviolette.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Did he really say they don't need a fresh perspective? I'm pretty sure that's the first sign they need a fresh perspective.

I think they do, but it's not like bringing in an outside voice as coach guarantees a Cup. See Hitchcock and Laviolette.

Hardnell

Feb 27, 2012
Why didn't they look outside the system, Larry Robinson comes to mind as an assistant who should be a head

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Did he really say they don't need a fresh perspective? I'm pretty sure that's the first sign they need a fresh perspective.

Yeah he did, he said it cause he was pissed and was asked like three times in a row "why not get a fresh perspective" by going outside of the organization.

What I don't really understand is what these people think will change by hiring a coach who's never been in the organization. Hockey is hockey and regardless of what people like to think the Flyers aren't playing old school hockey. They have a legit roster that was under performing, why do they necessarily need to get an outside coach to get them to perform?

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey

I don't think that's really what he meant. He was just angry and spitting out words. I think his point was that the franchise has always been about winning and that's the bottom line.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Snider wasn't saying that in a general sense though, it was in response to a pathetic question that (paraphrasing) "Isn't it time to move away from a culture of not having won a cup in 38 years that Berube is a part of and get a fresh perspective?"

It was a ridiculous question - it's not like every coach they've had in the past 38 years came from within the organization, not even close. They've had plenty of "fresh perspectives" in the past, including Laviolette.

I agree. But the quote sounds bad on its own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad