Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Berube was an X and Os guy when he coached the Phantoms. I have to believe that the Berube hiring is just an interim thing and that he won't be the full time head coach. I'm wondering if this means that Kevin McCarthy is going to be shown the door shortly as well and if they do bring in a new coach, will a whole new staff be brought in.....

McCarthy has been let go, per Dreger. Paddock and Lappy to assist.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
So Lappy and Berube behind the bench....Patrick Roy...Dan Bylsma....your move.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Only thing I would have done differently is fired him halfway through last season. It's been painfully obvious that his system hasn't worked in how long now? Teams have figured out how to counter this teams one and only method of play. As opposed to coaches like julien, quenville, tippet, etc. who employ a very adaptive system, Laviolette utilizes one system at all times and when teams figure it out, he's completely unable/unwilling to adapt. He had lost this locker room and player didn't believe in his system anymore. That was obvious to me when vinny became the only player playing with any enthusiasm: he's new and hasn't realized lavis complete incompetence yet. This team needs a savvy hockey coach who can sculpt a system to our strengths instead of forcing in a system that is so obviously catered towards a team built opposite to ours. I'm not sure that berube is the answer, but perhaps he'll have an interim tag until they can find a more suitable candidate.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Bryz and Lavy gone, no more excuses !!!!

Time to roll baby :handclap:

Would be nice to see Holmer gone as well, as waiting till game 3 is idiotic when we all knew Lavy should have been gone a year ago.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This should have been done six months ago. At least then a new coach would have had a full training camp to implement some sort of an organized system. I have a feeling Berube is just a place holder until they find someone they really want. I will say one thing on behalf of Berube, I have a feeling he'll hold he players more accountable than Lavy ever did. Maybe then we'll see some discipline from some of the older players who Lavy let slide.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Hopefully they run a sort of 1--2-2 instead of this gimmicky 2-1-2 where the center is essentially taken out of the play if the other team out works our forecheck. Like, we have a corps of big, thick, relatively unquick blue liners and you utilize an uptempo forecheck that leaves your defenseman and thus your goaltender out to dry constantly? By the time the forwards get back into the d zone they're completely gassed and ineffective. No wonder we can never get the puck out of our own zone or orchestrate any sort of breakout. I feel like I could have coached this team better than lavi.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Hopefully they run a sort of 1--2-2 instead of this gimmicky 2-1-2 where the center is essentially taken out of the play if the other team out works our forecheck. Like, we have a corps of big, thick, relatively unquick blue liners and you utilize an uptempo forecheck that leaves your defenseman and thus your goaltender out to dry constantly? By the time the forwards get back into the d zone they're completely gassed and ineffective. No wonder we can never get the puck out of our own zone or orchestrate any sort of breakout. I feel like I could have coached this team better than lavi.

You probably could have. I think anyone could have coached this team better. It's too bad too. I've said it about Laviolette in another thread - incredibly intelligent and smart guy, but just completely unwavering with regards to adapting his system.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Wow, wikipedia wastes no time. It ALREADY has this up:

Craig "Chief" Berube (born December 17, 1965) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey left winger who played 17 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Washington Capitals and New York Islanders. He is currently the head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers after former head coach Peter Laviolette was fired on October 7, 2013.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
crazy-happy-dance.gif

:laugh:

This is exactly what I did when I refreshed hf boards and saw this thread sitting at the top of the page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad