Confirmed with Link: Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Both Holmer and Lavy should have been fired. Best wishes Lavy, good person, his system was not working anymore.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So whats the plan, play a more conservative style until you figure things out?

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
I don't think it will make too much of a difference that this was done now and not a few months ago. There are arguments either way as to whether or not he should have been given a chance to get out of the gates this season, and while I lean towards the off-season as being a better time myself, we know that mid-season coach changes have not hindered teams from going all the way.

I think the talent is there to make the playoffs, but it won't happen unless the breakout is fixed IMO, whether through system or personnel (a Pronger clone would do nicely).

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Berube was the last coach to get the phantoms in the playoffs so that's something.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Did anyone else get the ESPN alert on their phone saying "NHL - Flyers fire Peter Laviolette after 0-3-0 start -- source; In 5th season with 1 playoff appearance". I literally shake my head every time ESPN tried to cover anything to do with hockey. I hope to the hockey gods that they meant Stanley Cup Final appearance and not Playoff appearance. Either way, still morons.

I just noticed that. EPSN....:shakehead

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
You are praising Holmgren?

We now have Berube as coach when we could have had a better coach from the ones available in the offseason. Moreover, this team still has issues..they don't have enough quick players. Not sure how Berube of all people is going to figure out what to do with this squad....

I agree it was done too late.

I'll give benefit of the doubt as last year was a lock-out season, which tends to be chaotic as is.

I'm glad he made the decision now instead of later when we are 0-10/1-9.

Honestly Berube can't be any worse.

I'll hold out judgment until I see what Craig has.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
So... will the outcome here be similar to:

A) Hitchcock fired and team continues to have the worst season ever.

B) Stevens fired and team goes on to a SCF appearance.

Honestly, with the team currently in place, I cannot see a repeat of 2006-07. Hopefully this team can wake up after seeing their coach get the axe and implement a system that the rest of the league doesn't have a flawless blueprint against.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Flyers miss the playoff by 6 points, it's all on Holmgren.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I would imagine Berube is not exactly an X and O's coach? I have no clue and maybe neither do the players? One thing for sure is that if he has to kick some butt all over the ice and get these guys to get back to basics...he can back it up. I guess we'll see what his style is....I just worry he doesn't have the roster to do much although if they just tighten up their game they should do better but I hope it's not the boring and uninspired hockey we've been witnessing. I just worry that Berube is more of a motivational type coach than somebody who can figure out a plan with this roster to be successful. Last thing we need is a Barber type...

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Ed Snider is the one that needs to go
Be careful what you wish for...

Then again, who would replace him if not Luukko, and what do we know about Luukko's management style/philosophy that is different from Snider?

Probably not much other than Luukko not being as desperate for a cup before Father Time taps him on the shoulder and tells him he's up next. That alone might suffice to fix the team, though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 51s
Ian Laperriere and John Paddock expected to assist Berube. Sounds like Kevin McCarthy also let go.

HartsyMania

What, me worry?
May 14, 2010
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have any idea what kind of system Berube would try to instill within the organization? It's probably all guess work, but I'm curious if somebody has some input on that.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I would imagine Berube is not exactly an X and O's coach? I have no clue and maybe neither do the players? One thing for sure is that if he has to kick some butt all over the ice and get these guys to get back to basics...he can back it up. I guess we'll see what his style is....I just worry he doesn't have the roster to do much although if they just tighten up their game they should do better but I hope it's not the boring and uninspired hockey we've been witnessing. I just worry that Berube is more of a motivational type coach than somebody who can figure out a plan with this roster to be successful. Last thing we need is a Barber type...

Berube was an X and Os guy when he coached the Phantoms. I have to believe that the Berube hiring is just an interim thing and that he won't be the full time head coach. I'm wondering if this means that Kevin McCarthy is going to be shown the door shortly as well and if they do bring in a new coach, will a whole new staff be brought in.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad